Hot!Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 16
Author
Danmel
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 193
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/07/30 09:07:27 (permalink)
We were looking at summer camps in the Poconos and stumbled on a little restuarant that has a lot of german food. We were the only people there under about 50. They have a guy who plays an organ as entertainment on weekends and they seem to have a group of regulars who take trips together. It's one of those palces that is frozen in time. They have a German drinking song on their menu, but I've never heard anyone sing it.

http://www.thefiresiderestaurant.com/Menu.asp

Ancient Mariner: I have been to both Koenigs and Freds. Both are quite good. There used to be a German restaurant out in Middle Island called the Island Squire- friends of ours had their wedding reception there. It closed about five years ago.

Maybe all this Atkins stuff will revive some german food, but it's hard to imagine German food without potato pancakes/duumplings (my favorites,especially with a crouton in the middle and fried in some caramalized onions!) and a big big mug of beer.
cindyloo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/07/30 09:27:39 (permalink)
There is a lovely little German restaurant in downtown Waverly, IA called Martin's Brandenburg. I've had a couple of lovely meals there. The chef, Martin, came to the US from Germany a few years ago with his family. He comes out of the kitchen and checks on his guests -- he does a wonderful job with the food. The meal starts with a little plate of various sausages, cheese spread, veggies, etc. Yummy food, generous portions -- very different from the German restaurants in the Amanas, a popular spot also in Iowa. The Brandenburg is much smaller, more authentic I think.

the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/07/30 09:40:15 (permalink)
Danmel-----The Island Squire was one of my favorites. It was operated by John Wild, a great baritone. On weekends they had entertainment which included John's singing. He started as a kid singing at the Sunrise Village, a Bavarian Beer Hall and Restaurant on (you guessed it ) Sunrise Highway. That was a great place. Long gone.

If I am not mistaken I have been to the Fireside as well. My best buddy's son was part of a dixieland group that played there in the 80's----- I know he played in a place like that,in that area, and they served German food. Small world.

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15304
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/07/30 10:14:32 (permalink)
We spent half a day at the German Festival in Jasper Indiana last Fall. It was a nice community festival with a lot of knee-slappin' Oompah music and dancing in the town square. Much more a local festival with some German atmosphere than a 'German Fest'. But it was a good time for sure.
azprimadonna
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/08/01 19:05:04 (permalink)
I feel the same, KIMCHEE. On our road trip this summer, I found a couple of OK places near the Chicago area. One place NOT to go is Germantown, WIS! I was so disappointed not to find one German restaurant there. Milwaukee's Mader's was OK, but the German restaurant/beer hall with the working Glockenspiel in Wisconsin Dells (forgot name) was much better, but they had canned-type potato salad. The liver dumpling soup was worth the trip! The German pavilion at Epcot Center in Disneyworld has a buffet that has some authentic-tasting items (spaetzle and red cabbage). I would love to find a place that served the Schweinshaxe like the monasteries in Bavaria do every Sunday. I understand there are several good places in the San Antonio area--my next trip.
miller
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/08/12 02:32:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jpatweb

That would be true. Foods preferences, as well as dialects, vary in Germany. But here, most German restaurants seem to feature the hearty foods of the south. Perhaps in another era, when the U.S. had many more German restaurants than it does now, other German cooking styles could be found here.

Not sure about the potato salad thing. Maybe that was created by German-Americans.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by chezkatie

All I can think is that different parts of Germany have different foods just like in the USA or maybe I am wrong.

No, that would be "Kartofeln-Salat" and _BIG_ in Bayern(Bavaria). What you find in many places here doesn't compare.
Best wishes
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/08/13 20:52:07 (permalink)
I remember "Zipperles" in San Juan, PR, circa 1966 or so. Anyone been there? Still going strong according to what I have "heard" via WWW.
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/08/16 21:36:15 (permalink)
Was driving south today in northeastern Maryland, near the Delaware border, along Route 40 and passed something called the German Gasthuas, somewhere south of Aberdeen. Anyone ever tried it? Is it good?
anselmo1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/08/17 00:39:28 (permalink)
Buffalo, New York has a great German restaurant called Scharf's Schiller Park Restaurant. For 35 years, it has been serving the best German food around. Check out there site which is:

http://www.scharfsrest.net/
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 838
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/08/17 06:52:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by the ancient mariner

On Looooooooooooong Island, NY there are still a few---here are four or five I have had dinner at-----
but there is one still on Myrtle Ave or Woodhaven Blvd it is right in the middle of a number of cemeteries and is often the place for lunch after a funeral. Can't remember the name.

You're probably thinking of Niedersteins on Metropolitan Ave in Middle Village. It's been there since the 1800's. The only other place in the area that caters to funerals is Durrow's on Myrtle. In that section of Queens for German food, I'd go to Zum Stamtish (trans: To the special table) on Myrtle and Cooper. The bar with the split rail hanging from the ceiling to rest your drinks on is a must see. Another popular place is Gerhart's also on Myrtle.

As I'm writing this I've gotten an email that tells me the German Genealogy group from Long Island will have their fall dinner at the Bavarian Inn.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/08/20 18:19:48 (permalink)
Dunker Mein heir-----Since I am not German but only an adopted son the spelling may be way off, but du bis correct ----Nierersteins was the place I was thinking of. And then you reminded me of Durow's---when I was a lad of dating age that was a good place to go on a Saturday eveing----dinner, dancing,a few beers mid the frueleins and "alls right with the world". The Bavarian Inn was Ronk Shores when I was a kid, then low and behold it was transformed into a Bavarian Rathskeller by Willie Some-thing-or-other. It was a great dinner and dancing place. Have a great time mein heir, auf weidersein--------------please excuse all spelling----
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 838
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/08/21 18:24:23 (permalink)
BTW, ancient mariner, I heard yesterday that the current owner of Neidersteins is trying to close the place down. The building's landmark status may be in the way of the building's disposal. At least that the rumor I heard.

You spoke of Ruoff's several times. That name rings no bells and I'm from the area; are you referring to Smithown Haus in (of course) Smithtown?
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/08/21 18:45:14 (permalink)
Yah vole Heir Kozel------yep----the old name was Ruoffs. They had a great reputation---the last time I was there was 1995, the food was super. My Mom lived in Ronkonkoma and my sister and I were visiting. We went to Smithtown and had dinner in the Smithtown Haus for auld lang sine !!!!! By the way next time you are in NY City look up Hallo Berlin --just off 9th Ave about 58th Street. Great place. Inexpensive German food and great beer on tap.
Nothing fancy, just good food. Auf Weidersane........Can't spell in German worth a darn. But it is fun.
wrfc5
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 70
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/09/05 19:19:38 (permalink)
A wonderful german restaurant in the last place you'd expect it--Rockville. Maryland. Wurzburg Haus has been feeding Washingtonians for many years now. This is a Bavarian, traditional restaurant, located at 7236 Muncaster Mill road.
Hastyman
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 83
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/09/05 21:08:27 (permalink)
Two recommendations: The Black Forest Inn in Minneapolis is the best German restaurant I've ever eaten at. I could make a meal out of the sauerbraten aspic . . . in fact, I have!

But if you're anywhere near New Ulm, MN in mid-July, you must stop at Heritagefest. It's put on by the Schell brewery, and it's nothing but an excuse to drink beer and eat German food cooked up by sweet little old church ladies. Sometimes late at night I can hear the Kartoffelsalat and Landjaeger (a spicy, garlicky smoked beef sausage) calling my name.
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/09/06 08:48:38 (permalink)
wrfc5

Have you ever been there with kids?? Or seen kids there??
quote:
Originally posted by wrfc5

A wonderful german restaurant in the last place you'd expect it--Rockville. Maryland. Wurzburg Haus has been feeding Washingtonians for many years now. This is a Bavarian, traditional restaurant, located at 7236 Muncaster Mill road.
Kraut_by_marriage
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/09/06 13:04:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Roy

I can't tell you where to go to get good German food but I can tell you where not to go....Connecticut. A vast wasteland for anything authentic.

Have you tried
Helga's German American Cuisine
55 Stony Hill Rd - Bethel, CT - - - that was always our favorite.

Just moved to Illinois and really appreciate all the info posted about good German restaurants. We took my mother-n-law to
Gasthaus Zur Linde in Elgin two weeks ago and she was not impressed at all (she is from the mother land). No potatoe pancakes and the red cabbage tasted more like red beets.

Found a great deli- Alpenrose in Carpentersville.
Pricey but excellent meats.

Anyone know where we can find Hummel Hot Dogs?
Also, the German potatoe salad question...my "Mutter-n-Gesetz" makes it hot, made with oil and vinigar with bacon and slices of hard boiled egg on top. Personally, I still like it cold with tons of egg and mayo

Tommy2dogs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/09/06 14:02:36 (permalink)
I have eaten at Czech Village in Berwyn Ill on Cermack rd a few times. I was always with a large party so we ate family style. I do remember great breaded Vael cutlets, chicken and dumplings with gravy and Kolatchkies. Small Mom & Pop type place,full bar
AuntKK
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/09/12 23:56:51 (permalink)
quote:
You're probably thinking of Niedersteins on Metropolitan Ave in Middle Village. It's been there since the 1800's. The only other place in the area that caters to funerals is Durrow's on Myrtle. In that section of Queens for German food, I'd go to Zum Stamtish (trans: To the special table) on Myrtle and Cooper. The bar with the split rail hanging from the ceiling to rest your drinks on is a must see. Another popular place is Gerhart's also on Myrtle.

As I'm writing this I've gotten an email that tells me the German Genealogy group from Long Island will have their fall dinner at the Bavarian Inn.

I stumbled upon The Bavarian Inn and was shocked by the dearth of German dishes. There were maybe 5. I had sauerbraten that was excellent. Guess they do mainly parties/weddings now (gorgeous view of Lake Ronkonkama) and German food doesn't go over well with most people.

Another excellent German/Bavarian joint is Chalet Alpina on Metropolitan Ave. in Forest Hills. Lovely goulash soup!
garykg6
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 358
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/09/13 09:13:18 (permalink)
if you are in Grand rapids,try the ''schnizelbank'',great German and wonderful prime ribs. I have had their suarbratten(sic), dumplings and a lovely braised veal shank.........lotsa beer too!!
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2330
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/09/15 01:41:37 (permalink)
If you are in Milwaukee, drive 15-20 minutes west & eat @ Weissgerber's Gasthaus on the corner of Silvernail & Grandview (Hwy T) in Waukesha.

Mader's is hit & miss.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/09/15 08:11:20 (permalink)
I have stumbled out of the Bavarian Inn a number of times, but never in, AuntKK. Having grown up in Ronkonkoma I knew it as Ronk Shores years ago and have witnessed some wonderful heavyweight bouts in its parking lot. Those were the good old days. When it opened it was all German food, and german entertainment on weekends----but it now has Greek owners I think.
And, as you said, tastes have changed and---dere ain't no German food on that there Atkins diet.
greasewheel
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/09/15 08:57:28 (permalink)
Kraut by Marriage, you are correct about Helga's in Bethel, CT. I have been there several times and always thought the food was extraordinary. Some people may complain about the service or seemingly ambivalent attitudes of the hosts, but for me that is part of the experience. Once you get to know them they are warm and friendly people. Give it a try Roy, you might be pleasantly surprised.
mmrmac
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/10/22 22:49:37 (permalink)

]
mmrmac
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/10/22 23:00:11 (permalink)
If you spend some time in South Florida, you can find a number of good, authentic German Food, especially in Ft. Lauderdale. On East Commercial Blvd. there are two restaurants across the street from each other! On East Atlantic Blvd. there is another German Restaurant that serves a variety of excellent veal dishes priced inexpensively. They are easily recognized as flags are displayed defining there heritage.
CoastFan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/01/23 12:44:39 (permalink)
I've just "discovered" this forum, and this topic. The opening post "Where have all the German restaurants gone?", is a question I've wondered about over the past couple of decades.

I've been to some of the better known German restaurants in the U.S., including Maders and Karl Rausch's in Milwaukee. I've been to Frankenmuth, MI, and concur that just from my brief experiences, it is more tourist than the home of top notch German cuisine.

Sadly, the same can be said for the created Bavarian town of Leavenworth, WA, where the best place, in my opinion, is King Ludwig's. It is decent but not up to the standards of Maders or Karl Rausch's.

An earlier post from a San Diego poster caught my eye:

" Posted - 06/10/2004 :  22:51:27    
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any one of you know a good German restaurant on the left coast? The Only one that I know of is in cold,expensive San Diego!

Having lived on the West Coast (CA, OR and WA) now for three decades (originally from PA), I oftened pondered the same problem. In my years of searching, I can recommend two.

Schroeder's Cafe in San Francisco (advertised as the oldest German restaurant in CA), and, in my opinion, the best: Horst Mager's Rhinelander in Portland., OR.

There are a few places in Seattle than are mentioned as worthwhile by others, but in my view, they don't measure up to the experience (quality, portion size, selection and ambience) of the two previously mentioned places.

Same with Southern California. From living in Orange County during two different periods, the search for a high quality German restaurant experience - after which you are already planning to go back - just wasn't to be found.

The Rhinelander in Portland is the best on the "Left Coast" to my way of judging restaurants.
cheesehead
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/01/25 14:24:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CoastFan

I've just "discovered" this forum, and this topic. The opening post "Where have all the German restaurants gone?", is a question I've wondered about over the past couple of decades.

I've been to some of the better known German restaurants in the U.S., including Maders and Karl Rausch's in Milwaukee. I've been to Frankenmuth, MI, and concur that just from my brief experiences, it is more tourist than the home of top notch German cuisine.

Sadly, the same can be said for the created Bavarian town of Leavenworth, WA, where the best place, in my opinion, is King Ludwig's. It is decent but not up to the standards of Maders or Karl Rausch's.

An earlier post from a San Diego poster caught my eye:

" Posted - 06/10/2004 :  22:51:27    
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any one of you know a good German restaurant on the left coast? The Only one that I know of is in cold,expensive San Diego!

Having lived on the West Coast (CA, OR and WA) now for three decades (originally from PA), I oftened pondered the same problem. In my years of searching, I can recommend two.

Schroeder's Cafe in San Francisco (advertised as the oldest German restaurant in CA), and, in my opinion, the best: Horst Mager's Rhinelander in Portland., OR.

There are a few places in Seattle than are mentioned as worthwhile by others, but in my view, they don't measure up to the experience (quality, portion size, selection and ambience) of the two previously mentioned places.

Same with Southern California. From living in Orange County during two different periods, the search for a high quality German restaurant experience - after which you are already planning to go back - just wasn't to be found.

The Rhinelander in Portland is the best on the "Left Coast" to my way of judging restaurants.

Some 25 years ago, there was a German resteraunt in the San Fernando Valley, called Old Heidelburg. I don't know if it is still there, but the food was outstanding. I would like to know, actually. We lived in Glendale, and went over there on an average of once a month. Eventually, we moved to the SF area. After that, we lost track.
mmrmac
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/01/31 20:45:20 (permalink)
Someone asked where to find "Hummell" hotdogs. I've sold them in Connecticut for nearly half a century. They are especially popular in Fairfield & New Haven County, Ct. They are distributed to most delicatessans & fast food restaurants in those areas. The quality is excellent & taste is outstanding. Our restaurant recently was reviewed & received "a ten best hotdog" recognition from impartial judges. At this time Hummell has one of the most consistant, high quality hotdogs on the market. Check them out! Mrmac
Fred Ferris
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/02/01 13:27:23 (permalink)
Can't tell you how thrilled I am to find this site...my wife and I live for this stuff, as we have lived and traveled throuhout the country, and are willing to go way out of our way to find these local independent places!

As for German, the Chicago Brauhaus is by far the best we've encountered anywhere in the country (and I don't say that simply becuase we just moved to an apartment literally a 90 second walk to their front door). Literally everything on the menu is perfect..from the lightly battered, tender veal to the best roast duck I've ever eaten.
On top of all this the atmosphere is frenetic, with the funky band playing everything from German standards to Elvis. This is NOT an "ooompah" band as some reviews have stated....they truly defy description and must be seen to be believed. Add the fact that 2/3 of the customers are Germans who have been living in the neighborhood for decades, and it's hard to imagine a more satisfying, fun evening. We have to force ourselves NOT to go every weekend!
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 709
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/02/01 14:26:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by KimChee43

Dear Friends:

Well, autumn is here. It's getting on Oktoberfest time. I've got a hankering for some really fine German cuisine. Where can it be found? We've eaten at the Berghoff and Chicago Brauhaus in Chicago. Neither one did much for us at all. Our absolute favorite used to be Dieterle's in Elgin, Illinois, but it closed years ago. We've tried Mader's and Karl Ratsch's in Milwaukee. Wasn't too keen on those either. We're willing to make a weekend road trip to find some good German food. Somebody please tell us where it is?!

Many thanks.

KimChee43

I too, wonder where all the good german restaurants have gone? I live north of the Michigan-Indiana stateline and there isn't any good ones around here for a least a 75 miles radius. For many many years there was a good German one, in South Bend Indiana,it was called Hans Haus, but it closed about 11 or 12 years ago!

Garry Asmus
Pokagon, Michigan
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 16
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1