Hot!Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 16
Author
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/02/05 03:15:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rex Allen

Any one of you know a good German restaurant on the left coast? The Only one that I know of is in cold,expensive San Diego!
And what is the name of that good German restaurant? I'll be out there end of February. Had dinner at Zum Stammtisch in Glendale, Queens NY for the first time tonight. It was excellent. I also see that today(?) is the last day for Niedersteins…
gbacounselor
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/02/08 13:51:44 (permalink)
There is a charming little town about 1 1/2 hours northwest of San Antonio called Fredericksburg which has several German restaurants. We ate at one which was very good...sadly, I can't remember the name.
sugarlander
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 254
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/02/08 14:06:27 (permalink)
There is a pretty good German restaurant in downtown Fredricksburg called Linden or Linden Tree or something like that.
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/02/08 20:06:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Fred Ferris

As for German, the Chicago Brauhaus is by far the best we've encountered anywhere in the country (and I don't say that simply becuase we just moved to an apartment literally a 90 second walk to their front door). Literally everything on the menu is perfect..from the lightly battered, tender veal to the best roast duck I've ever eaten.
Someday I want to get to Chicago to visit Frank Lloyd Wright buildings. I'll definitely stop by the Chicago Brauhaus when I do. Thanks, Fred
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4211
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/02/08 20:56:34 (permalink)
kimchee-

Couldn't read every response, so I don't know if these have been mentioned. It sounds like you're a fellow Chicagoan, so here's a few in town. Try Mirabell on Addison just east of I-94. Also, there's a corridor along Irving Park between Western and Lincoln Avenue with two or three well respected German restaurants along both sides of the street. I think one is called Laschett's, on the south side of Irving. There's another one on the north side of the street within a few blocks. We also had a wonderful meal in Ann Arbor at a place called the Ratshkeller. A little closer to home, up north on I-94 in Kenosha is a place on the east side of the highway specializing in "European Dishes". Good food, good atmosphere. Unfortunately, i don't know the name. Hope this helps.
Charity
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 55
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/02/09 09:47:15 (permalink)
Originally posted by sugarlander:
There is a pretty good German restaurant in downtown Fredricksburg called Linden or Linden Tree or something like that.
----------------------------------------------------

Just like that, only in German: Der Lindenbaum. Lucky Bishop and I have been through Fredericksburg twice while on road trips in Texas, and we ate there the last time. I enjoyed my lunch quite a lot, but Lucky didn't so much. (Don't remember what we got - I may have had some kind of rouladen.) I seem to remember that the Black Forest cake I got for dessert was pretty underwhelming.

The time that we passed through before we ate at the Auslander, which is a block or two away, also on the main street. It had more of a beer-garden atmosphere, and the food was decent - that time I think Lucky enjoyed his smoked sausage platter more than I did my sauerbraten. Both places were pretty good but not outstanding.

We have yet to be disappointed at the Student Prince in Springfield, MA, but I do really wish there were more places to choose from, especially here in the Northeast, and a wider selection of German cuisine than sausages and sauerbraten, delicious as those dishes are.
sugarlander
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 254
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/02/09 09:54:03 (permalink)
I agree--Der Lindenbaum was good but not great.
Lucky Bishop
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/02/13 02:05:30 (permalink)
Charity and I discussed this over lunch this afternoon, and I seem to recall that what I got was cabbage rolls or something else in that general arena -- you know, something that you would expect a German restaurant in an aggressively German town (when Kinky Friedman ran for sheriff of Johnson City, his slogan was "I'll keep us out of war with Fredericksburg") to excel at -- but I remember it as being terribly, disappointingly bland.

I still savor the memory of that sausage platter at Auslander, though...one of these days, we're going to actually spend the night in Fredericksburg so I can have a couple beers there and not have to worry about continuing on to San Angelo right away.
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 827
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/02/13 11:33:08 (permalink)
Middle Village, Glendale and Ridgewood Queens (& Brooklyn) New York has long been know for it's German influence. As of 2/8 Niedersteins in Middle Village closed after 150 years, there are rumors that Durow's in Glendale has been sold and the restaurant may close. Gebhardt's in Ridgewood closed 3 years ago and moved to Floral Park. Zumstamtisch in Ridgewood is still very much alive.
spaetzelboy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/02/28 18:51:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kozel

Middle Village, Glendale and Ridgewood Queens (& Brooklyn) New York has long been know for it's German influence. As of 2/8 Niedersteins in Middle Village closed after 150 years, there are rumors that Durow's in Glendale has been sold and the restaurant may close. Gebhardt's in Ridgewood closed 3 years ago and moved to Floral Park. Zumstamtisch in Ridgewood is still very much alive.

Mom just told me about Neiderstein's yesterday . . . I am seriously bummed. Where will we go after funerals now?! This was also where my family celebrated my 40th Birthday last June. Always a good time. Even the funerals were a lot of laughs. Where else can I go for the Bavarian Platter and a pint of Dinkel Acker. Germany I guess.

The word I hear on Durow's is that they sold the parking lot. Sadly, I think that was the last good thing about Durow's.

I guess we can't fight the fact that the demographics are changing in the area. Plus, real estate prices are sky high. Too good to refuse. I grew up in queens, that's how I know this stuff.

I have heard that the food @ Zummstantisch (can we please just say ZST from here on) is genuine enough to be excessively rich. Any input?

Any of you locals still remember the Triangle Hofbrau? Miss that too.
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/02/28 22:34:21 (permalink)
Your name says it all. Triangle Hofbrau (I'm 56 and I remember going there as a kid, but I have most vivid memories of Niedersteins) is now a medical building. It was once the oldest restaurant/tavern/hotel/stage-coach- stop in Queens till it closed, then Niedersteins got that honor and now it's gone. Durow's may be on the block not too. Did you know that Gebhardt's is no longer in Ridgewood? Three years ago they moved to Floral Park. Sammet's on Onderdonk Ave is now a South American place. Zumstamtisch is still there. Here's two links on Niedersteins

http://timesnewsweekly.com/Archives2005/Jan.-Mar.2005/021005/NewFiles/OURNEIGH.html

http://timesnewsweekly.com/NewFiles/OURNEIGH.html

Note, the 2nd link may change, you may have to dig into the archives to find it. Interesting to find out that the owner of Niederstains (H Herink) and the importer of Dinkleacker (D Steinem) started Zumstamtisch.

BTW, Triangle Hofbrau was a favorite of Babe Ruth and Mae West, and the rumor is that the song 'When Irish Eyes are Smiling' was written there. Here's a link

http://www.richmondhillhistory.org/Hofbrau.html
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/02/28 22:52:30 (permalink)
On another note. Anyone not from this area may not understand what a funeral menu is. In the 1800 when they stopped all burials in Manhattan, the boroughs of Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx exploded with cemeteries. Many restaurants near these cemeteries had funeral menus to cater to the groups of people that would come to the restaurant after a funeral. They would seat 10 to 20 people and have a limited option inexpensive menu. It's been like this for a hundred years.

I'm just a local boy and I don't know if this is common in other places. Niederstains (especially) and Durows were popular for funerals in this area of Queens. I don't reside in Queens anymore and I hope at my funeral meal, no one is asked 'Fries with that?'. And they don't serve Manhattans at McDonalds.

spaetzelboy
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/03/01 08:50:06 (permalink)
Thanks for the great links Kozel! Love those old pix.

Here's my thing. I live down the Jersey Shore now, my parents are still in Ozone Park. Dad doesn't like to go far from home, especially since his first heart attack last September, so Neidersteins was a family staple for us. Now we're SOL.

What's the buzz on Chalet Alpina? I'd like to stick w/German food if I can. Not many choices left, and I can't stand Durow's.

BTW, I remember seeing a show on cable and they mentioned an outdoor Beer Garden. I think it was either in Brooklyn or Queens and I can't recall the name. Any ideas. Thanks.

Greetings all,

Tommy

kozel
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/03/01 10:36:30 (permalink)
I never did get to Chalet Alpina but I think it's still there. I was on Metro yesterday but didn't take notice. We moved from Glendale about 23 years ago and now live in Suffolk. We have a few German places out here but nothing like what used to be in Glendale and the places out here are losing their German identity. Smithtown Haus and Pine Grove Inn are now officially continental cuisine. ZST may be your best bet.

Oh, and that beer garden; I didn't see the show and I havn't been there but I have the link.

http://www.bohemianhall.com/home.htm

It's in Astoria, is the last remaining beer garden and is Czech not German. There's a big Czech population in Astoria. And let us remember that Pilsner beer is named for a town (Pilsen) in the Czech republic. Here's an interesting link to the Czech embassy that has a listing of restaurants. Competition for Roadfood?

http://www.mzv.cz/washington/general/restaurants.htm

Enjoy your dad while you can. In this past year we lost the last member of the 'older generation' in our family. We are now that generation. Being German, did anyone in your family have an appreciation for Liederkranz Cheese?

spaetzelboy
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/03/01 20:11:15 (permalink)
quote:

I never did get to Chalet Alpina but I think it's still there. I was on Metro yesterday but didn't take notice.
http://www.bohemianhall.com/home.htm

It's in Astoria, is the last remaining beer garden and is Czech not German. There's a big Czech population in Astoria. And let us remember that Pilsner beer is named for a town (Pilsen) in the Czech republic.

Enjoy your dad while you can. In this past year we lost the last member of the 'older generation' in our family. We are now that generation. Being German, did anyone in your family have an appreciation for Liederkranz Cheese?

So I got real sentimental tonight and made pork cutlets and spaetzel.

... It was my first attempt at spaetzel, so it was a bit like eating buckshot, but the pork was good.

One of the articles about N-stein's demise mentioned the Alpine Chalet, it's still open apparently.

A czech beer garden . . . hmm . . . in a phrase containing the words "beer" and "garden" everything else appears secondary. I must czech it out. . . . sorry.

Koz, dad's doing great thanks - I told him he was my best Christmas gift. It's funny you mention losing the "older generation". When the last of my grandparents died 6 or 7 years ago, we were having the funeral dinner (where else) and my cousin informed our parents that they had all "moved up a notch".

Liederkranz Cheese sounds familiar, I'll have to ask. But dad's favorite treats were pickled herring, pigs feet, marrowglace, and saurbraten. And dad didn't like the saurbraten at N-stein's because it wasn't sour enough. Apparently when grandma made saurbraten she would just take a pot roast and soak it in vinegar for a few days. Yum. Dad's such a kraut. Course he can't eat any of that stuff since the coronary.

Thanks again for the links!

-T

spaetzelboy
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/03/01 20:34:28 (permalink)
quote:
Did you know that Gebhardt's is no longer in Ridgewood? Three years ago they moved to Floral Park.

Hey Kozel,

I missed this in one of your previous posts. Do you happen to know where in Floral Park, I used to live there. In fact I had my wedding (well, my first wedding) reception at Koenig's in FP. Incidentally, great German food if you haven't done yet. And a lot closer to you than to me. Check out the dinner menu:

http://www.koenigsrestaurant.com/restaura.html

I'd love to go there again, so long as I don't run into what's her name.
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/03/01 23:08:34 (permalink)
And you'd expect that I'd have a link:

http://www.gebhardtsrestaurant.com/frames.html

Ask about the Liederkranz, it's a terrific story. I'll post a link when I can put it all together. It's a soft ripened cheese you'd spread on pumpernickel add onion and DRINK BEER. How bad could it be with BEER involved?

BTW, this may be of interest. The Plattdeutsche is in Franklin Square and may be close enough. It's on this list

http://www.germanyinnyc.org/index.php?section=guide&sub=fooddrink&parid=1
jinjo76
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/03/01 23:40:59 (permalink)
I live in Fort Lauderdale, FL, and I go to http://www.ambryrestaurant.com/ , and http://www.oldheidelbergdeli.com/restaurant.html .
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/03/02 12:46:34 (permalink)
My paternal grandmother's maiden name was Koenig. My father used to eat Liederkranz cheese (as well as Limburger and Port Salut), pickled pig's feet and suelze with his Rheingold beer. I look forward to dining at Koenig's and Gebhardt's soon. We recently ate at Zum Stammtisch and enjoyed it despite some bad reviews over at Chowhound's. The sauerbraten was fine, as was my Reuben and Deutscher Salat…
spaetzelboy
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/03/02 13:01:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MacTAC

My paternal grandmother's maiden name was Koenig. My father used to eat Liederkranz cheese (as well as Limburger and Port Salut), pickled pig's feet and suelze with his Rheingold beer. I look forward to dining at Koenig's and Gebhardt's soon. We recently ate at Zum Stammtisch and enjoyed it despite some bad reviews over at Chowhound's. The sauerbraten was fine, as was my Reuben and Deutscher Salat…

My wife put me in the cheese club for Christmas . . . they sent me Limburger last month. It's double bagged in the bottom of the fridge while I work up my nerve.

My dad was a big Rheingold drinker for years . . . I'm not sure if the stuff was good or just cheap. Grandpa always had Pabst or Piels in his house. He also had a bar on the corner that he could crawl home from if need be.

mek
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/03/02 13:32:46 (permalink)
Kozel-
Yes, Pils is named after the Czech town of Pilsen, but it was formulated by a German- Josef Groll. He happened to be working in Pilsen at the time. He was from Vilshofen, in Bavaria.
I guess, if he formulated it when he was there, we would be calling it Vils!
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/03/02 13:45:20 (permalink)
I don't descriminate. I'll drink German as well as Czech beer. I use the handle of 'kozel' not for the czech beer but because it's my name. It is a Czech word that means 'male goat' but I believe my lineage is primarily German. Thanks for the hisory lesson.
spaetzelboy
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/03/05 08:50:14 (permalink)
Hey Koz,

I was the first to write a review of Niederstein's for Yahoo Travel. LOL.

I still can't believe that place is dark. It's like one of those constants in your life that is always there. When it goes it's like, "What can I rely on?".

I suppose I'm still hoping for an 11th hour reprieve. I probably won't accept it's demise until I walk through the debris field.

Funny how a place can get inside ya. Part of it was seeing my Dad in his element.

Boy I'm very philosophical this morning, aren't I? Let's talk about BEER again.
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/03/05 09:03:50 (permalink)
spaetzkboy-- trying to get in touch with you- i'm originally from brick.(mentioned that on the french toast frenzy thread too) figure if i leave it in enough places we'll hook up..
talk soon?
~~jerseygirl~~
chartquest1954
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/03/05 20:18:35 (permalink)
Yes, good German restaurants. One lamented loss was the Old German in Ann Arbor MI, which closed about 15 years ago. They had a fire in the 80s which gutted the place and they reopened, but retirement beckoned by the early 90s. I always considered this "the best restaurant in Michigan" & anything I ever tried was prepared well; the "German fried" potatoes were to die for. There are a few Mennonite restaurants (do those count?) in eastern Ohio in the Amish area southwest of Canton and Wooster. The Old German used to have a stunning collection of beer steins along the ledges as well. Does anybody remember this place?
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/03/06 10:38:00 (permalink)
Durow's in Gendale Queens hass officially closed. The story here...
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=14074357&BRD=1864&PAG=461&dept_id=152800&rfi=6
spaetzelboy
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/03/06 21:10:12 (permalink)
quote:

Durow's in Gendale Queens hass officially closed. The story here...
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=14074357&BRD=1864&PAG=461&dept_id=152800&rfi=6

Wow . . . there's blood in the streets now man! I hope nobody got screwed out of a wedding. Hate to have to find a place with a few weeks to go.
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/03/12 13:38:57 (permalink)
Hey Spaetzelboy,

My son in Pittsburgh sent me this link. It may bring tears to your dad's eyes.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05069/468710.stm
bigbear
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 66
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/03/13 11:40:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by spaetzelboy

Here's my thing. I live down the Jersey Shore now, my parents are still in Ozone Park. Dad doesn't like to go far from home, especially since his first heart attack last September, so Neidersteins was a family staple for us. Now we're SOL.

My mother, who moved to a retirement community in Pennsyltucky, longed for some food from Zum Stammtisch. They regularly pack dishes to-go. I took her some. If your dad doesn't want to go out to eat, bring it to him.
spaetzelboy
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/03/14 01:42:15 (permalink)
Hey gang:

Kozel - you do have all the good links, don't you. Sounds like the Pittsburgh crew is pretty hardcore. Hope they make it another 150 years. Dad will get a kick out of it, grandma used to read the German newspaper when he was growing up.

Big Bear - I think I have a better shot at dragging dad to ZST than entering the house with German take out. Gotta get past the border guard you know (mom). Dad has been talking about having an "I'm still alive" party with the family. Maybe when the weather gets a little nicer. Thanks for the thought.

Finally mustered up the nuts to try my Limburger cheese. Here's my take. It's not bad . . . has a very "barny" taste to it. That's barny as in barnyard, not purple dinosaur. I don't know that I like it enough to justify the obvious downside. Lately I've been digging Stilton, which has a strong flavor, but won't get me kicked out of the house. Also won't have you thinking something died in the back of the dishwasher.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 16
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1