Hot!Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone?

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 16
Author
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 828
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/03/14 07:35:37 (permalink)
One of the sites I haunt is forgotten-ny.com. The latest posting on old bars in NYC has some info on that beer garden in Astoria. You can find a link here... http://www.forgotten-ny.com/STREET%20SCENES/bars/oldbars.html
spaetzelboy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/03/20 08:26:20 (permalink)
Hey gang,

My turn to weigh in on German food in my area. If you're heading for the Jersey Shore, may want to think about hitting the Hofbrauhaus in Atlantic Highlands. For the German beer hall/authentic dining/music/dance hall/well stocked bar, this is all we've got. Been there twice. Once with the wife, once with a tribe.

Pros: Great food. Great beer, including Weisse Beer. Nice beer hall feeling. Great view (manhattan skyline) I would go at dusk if you can work that out. Ample parking. Weekly music. Moderately priced.

Cons: Sort of lacks warmth. Would like wait staff to be more engaged. In other words, wait staff does not match the atmosphere if that makes any sense. They're not rude, but they could be more friendly. If you bring your own party, you'll have a good time.

In short, it is what it is. In my view, definitely worth the trip if you're in the area.

There are a few other German restaurants I have yet to check out. Be aware that many Jersey Shore restaurants are BYO, which is great if you know ahead of time. I love BYO.

Feel free to check in if I'm missing something folks.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/03/21 22:00:36 (permalink)
My wife and I just came back from a German restaurant, Lemke's Crest, where we had an outstanding inexpensive dinner. This Milwaukke restaurant, open for 50 years, is a neighborhood restaurant, not a destination restaurant. My wife's saurbraten melted in the mouth; this was the real thing not a roast beef with gingersnap gravy. Her dumpling, a mixture of bread and potato, was as light as an angel's kiss. Her red cabbage, according to her, (I'm a diabetic) was in a reduction sauce. The meal started out with a small round of cheese, with crackers including seasoned rye crisp, which I hadn't had in years. Later hot sourdough rolls and some slices of a salt rye bread came out. Soup was a beef noodle and the salad had an assortment of lettuces. Pints of Berghoff beer were two dollars and the saurbraten was less than $14!!! Like I said this was not a fancy German place but a friendly neighborhood place where we plan on re-visiting monthly from now on. Located on Milwaukee's SW side where National Ave. and Oklahoma Ave. meet perhaps near 120th St., it would easlily be worth a 50 mile drive. Our waitress said they're quite busy on Friday nights with a large assortment of fish frys; they also have roast duck on Sundays only.
AndreaB
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/03/22 07:10:42 (permalink)
We have a nice neighborhood-type German restaurant in Lexington, KY, on Southland Drive called "Marikka's Restaurant and Bier Stube". They have a huge beer selection and I generally go for the schnitzels, red cabbage, spaetzle, and German tomato salad. The dumplings are quite good as well. They also have items on the menu for children and those who don't care for German food. If you enjoy German food and are near Lexington, it's well worth checking out!

Andrea
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/03/28 08:18:27 (permalink)
Hey Spaetzelboy,

Here's an interesting page on Glendale with some pic's

http://www.forgotten-ny.com/STREET%20SCENES/glendale/glendale.html
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/03/28 08:41:07 (permalink)
Had Easter dinner yesterday at the Sherman House, a 100 yr. old German restaurant and Inn in Batesville, IN. My party had saur braten, wiener snitzal, roast pork loin, assorted sausages, red cabbage, kraut, potato pancakes, german potato salad, fried biscuits with apple butter and other asssorted delights. The last time I was here was a friend's wedding rehersal dinner 25 years ago, but I don't think its changed a bit in all that time. And 2 days before that I was in Oldenburg (about 2 miles outside on Batesville) having peppery german-hoosier fried chicken at the Brau Haus.
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 705
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/03/28 11:07:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tristan Indiana

Had Easter dinner yesterday at the Sherman House, a 100 yr. old German restaurant and Inn in Batesville, IN. My party had saur braten, wiener snitzal, roast pork loin, assorted sausages, red cabbage, kraut, potato pancakes, german potato salad, fried biscuits with apple butter and other asssorted delights. The last time I was here was a friend's wedding rehersal dinner 25 years ago, but I don't think its changed a bit in all that time. And 2 days before that I was in Oldenburg (about 2 miles outside on Batesville) having peppery german-hoosier fried chicken at the Brau Haus.

Sounds really great!!!! Where in Indiana, is Batesville and Oldenburg?

I live in Niles, Michigan, 8 miles north of the Indiana-Michigan stateline? I was wondering how far, to see if it would be a day trip or an over nighter?

Thank You,
Garry
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/03/28 12:55:59 (permalink)
Batesville and Oldenburg are off of I-74, about an hour out of Cincinnati. Oldenburg is especially interesting with its German street signs and the large church spires that spring up out of the cornfields.
William44
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/03/29 12:07:42 (permalink)
As far as the Lemke's Restaurant posting: They now have an online site at: www.lemkesonnatioal.com
spaetzelboy
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/03/30 23:51:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kozel

Hey Spaetzelboy,

Here's an interesting page on Glendale with some pic's

http://www.forgotten-ny.com/STREET%20SCENES/glendale/glendale.html

Hi Koz,

Love that old stuff. Forest Park was my old stomping ground too. Cracked my head open there when I was twelve . . . but there are good memories too!

I know there are MTA sanctioned tours where they walk the old RR tracks. God I'd love to do that.

Back in Queens this Sat. for dad's birthday.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/03/31 07:23:21 (permalink)
William 44, There is a slight problem with that link. I found it missing a "n". It should be
http://www.lemkesonnational.com/ Thanks for it though as I would never have known.
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/04/02 19:37:19 (permalink)
I just noticed a German place in Oak Ridge, TN today called The Munich Haus. Anyone been there? I'd not heard of it before.
NOLA Foodaholic
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/04/12 09:27:06 (permalink)
quote:
KimChee, if you want to drive just a TINY bit further, come on down to Texas and go to the place where I celebrate Oktoberfest every year; the Walburg Restaurant, not too far north of Austin, in Walburg, TX. EXCELLENT German food, and a great time overall:

http://www.walburgrestaurant.com/index.asp

I second Bushie's comments about Walburg. This place is the only game in town and has great food, great atmosphere and good cold beer. There's an outdoor Biergarten in back with live music on the weekends and should be a "don't miss" stop. It's about 10 minutes off of IH 35 pretty near Austin.
Will44
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/04/12 10:41:31 (permalink)
You might want to try Lemke's on National, in West Allis Wi, they serve some good Schnizel's, great sauerbraten & daily Special's. Plus on Weekends they serve some of the Best Prime Rib Around. And Sunday only is Roast Duck with stuffing and Gravy, you can only make gravy for a duck on the day its served. They been around about 66 years and family run!
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/04/12 12:41:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Will44

You might want to try Lemke's on National, in West Allis Wi, they serve some good Schnizel's, great sauerbraten & daily Special's. Plus on Weekends they serve some of the Best Prime Rib Around. And Sunday only is Roast Duck with stuffing and Gravy, you can only make gravy for a duck on the day its served. They been around about 66 years and family run!

Your first 3 posts in 3 different forums, all extolling the virtues of the same restaurant. You either only know one good place or are, maybe, the chef of this restaurant.
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/04/12 14:07:30 (permalink)
Kozel says it must b
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Will44

Your first 3 posts in 3 different forums, all extolling the virtues of the same restaurant. You either only know one good place or are, maybe, the chef of this restaurant.

NOLA Foodaholic

I thought the same thing as you did, but if this place is as good as He says, it must have really good food. It would be interesting to hear from other road foodis about this place!
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/04/12 15:02:04 (permalink)
I actually wouldn't mind it if he was connected to the restaurant as long as his post says so. I'd even go so far to say that there should be a forum for them to tout their places and get feedback; but if they can't take the heat they should stay out of the kitchen (as they say). They could even ploy me with a roadfooder discount.
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/04/12 15:10:36 (permalink)
quote:

I actually wouldn't mind it if he was connected to the restaurant as long as his post says so. I'd even go so far to say that there should be a forum for them to tout their places and get feedback; but if they can't take the heat they should stay out of the kitchen (as they say). They could even ploy me with a roadfooder discount.

Kozel

I mst admit that I agree with, you, that both aforum for them and a roadfood discount is a good idea!!!
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/04/12 22:27:44 (permalink)
quote:

I posted the first "review" of Lemke's. Myself, I work in healthcare and know no one at the restaurant, which is what it is; an informal neighborhood restaurant that serves some very good German dishes.
I hate to speak for William 44, but this place doesn't strike me as a place where the owners or chefs spend much time online. I thought the food was extremely reasonable but the menu is much much smaller than say a Karl Ratzsch's; the standard for me for fine Milwaukee German dining. Still, prices may run half that of Ratzsch's and the dumplings may be better. If I want goose in Milwaukee, Ratzsch's is the only place I know where it is always on the menu.
We have a bistro/cafe informal restaurant owned by Milwaukee's top chef, Sandy D'Amato, called Coquette Cafe that specializes in Alsation + French home cooking. The Alsation dishes may prove familiar to lovers of German cooking.
Both Monroe and New Glarus Wisconsin are home to a number of Swiss restaurants, bakeries and butcher/sausage shops that too is closely related to German cooking.
A visit to Cedar Rapids Iowa and their Czech restaurants found me thinking that the food tasted really German.
Ironic that the growing popularity of German and German-style beers is accompanied by the closing of the German-style restaurants.
jojobeans
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 137
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/04/12 22:50:23 (permalink)
I have not read all the posts here so if this is a repeat please excuse. In West Virginia right on the Potomac River across from Maryland in the town of Shepherdstown is a nice German restaurant. The hotel has a German flair as well. The food is good and the staff is friendly and pleasant. After a hearty meal you can cross a short bridge and be in Maryland walking along the Potomac River on the C&O canal. The views are spectacular in the fall and the fishing is pretty good as well, if you have a bicycle all the better. Here are a few links to the some things in the area that can be seen.
This is the Restaurant I spoke of. http://www.bavarianinnwv.com/

B&B http://www.thomasshepherdinn.com/

We enjoyed a very pleasant and inexpensive week end for two under $500.00 including shopping!
Will44
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/06/06 08:17:41 (permalink)
No I just think places like Maders are way over rated, Karl Ratzsch's is the other very good place I would mention in Milwaukee. As far as the menu goes, while they don't run a number of pages of German foods, they do run special's during te week, of which a few are German, Like Kassler Rippchen!. Also the soups they run are sometimes real differant, not like I've found some other places.
mmrmac
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/06/12 01:34:40 (permalink)
Anyone living near the water in Ft. Lauderdale realizes the keen competition that exists in the food business. Many restaurants fail in their first season! Since the area has a strong German heritage, it's no wonder that there are flourishing "German" restaurants due to this influence. The Ambray on East Commercial is just one of of these successes.
banditwine
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/06/25 14:33:34 (permalink)
Just browsing, better late than never. Resi's Bier Stubbe, Chicago Irving Park Road just west of Damen ave. Small w/beer garden. Lots of different imported beers. A kitchen not much bigger than a closet that produces great food with large portions. Come with a group and you can order Family style.
Worth looking up!
Beer&Snausages
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 418
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/06/26 20:09:15 (permalink)
Here's a nice little German Restaraunt in Glendale Heights, IL that my wife recently tried while visiting Chicago. It gets busy on the weekends, so reservations are recommended. The guys playing the bass and the accordian were great. Here's the link.

http://www.schnitzelplatz.com/

Mark
Beer&Snausages
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 418
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/06/30 16:27:12 (permalink)
Just got back from Vegas and ate at the HofBrauhaus there (on Paradise across from the Hard Rock hotel). What an authentic Munich Beer Garden, it is an exact replica of the HofBrauhaus there in Germany. 3 of the head chefs are from Germany, the 4th is from Belgium. The Beer & the Food were excellent.

Here'e the link http://www.hofbrauhauslasvegas.com/
hungryjim
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/07/01 10:00:44 (permalink)
Recently we had a new German restaurant open in Cleveland, ohio. It is called the "Schnitzal House", I haven't gone there yet but someone from work has and said there food was good but they didn't have potato pancakes. Are potato pancakes a German food?
Tedmurena
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/07/08 12:55:29 (permalink)
Well it is quite sad that there are so few german restaurant in the US. I havent ever had really excellent German food in the US but I keep trying to find the best german stuff nonetheless. The Restaurant "Helga's" mentioned in this thread is now called old Heidelberg. It is far better than Helga'a which was really poor. The owner also has done a valliant effort to bring German culture to his place by having several events throughout the year. He also has done his best to get a huge beer list. His prices are on the high side of reasonable but all in all its not too bad.

However There isa great revival of german restaurants in NYC. From the Upscale to the casual New York has a host of decent German restaurants.

http://www.germanyinnyc.org/index.php?section=guide&sub=fooddrink&parid=1&PHPSESSID=247ec9ae457673d36d882a9a3894ce26

Check this list out. I realy like zum Schneider which is very Greenwhich village meets "klein dorf Gasthaus", Lederhosen is cool and has a better (fuller) menu. Lorely - is chic and great. The only poor one I have been to is Rolfs which was very expensive the decor was interesting but not german and the food was just marginal.

Ted Murena
CoastFan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/07/12 20:55:30 (permalink)
"Months ago" now, I opined that in my opinion, the best German restaurant I've been to on the West Coast is in Portland. It is Horst Mager's Rhinelander. Second place, IMO, might go to Shroeder's in San Francisco.

In Portland, there are a couple of more casual offshoots of the Rhinelander called Gustav's. There's one in Clackamas (Eastside) and one on the Westside. They have a family style dinner which is both good and a good deal. For about $11.00 per person, you get sauerbraten, red cabbage, sour kraut, spatzle, sausages and a chicken schnitzel (sp?) which is outstanding.

I have a - let's just say "healthy" - appetite, and there was plenty.
spaetzelboy
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/07/24 11:39:18 (permalink)
Niederstein's - still standing.

OK we talked about this a few months ago, and I was in the neighborhood so I thought I'd drive by.

Went last night. Expected to see a giant smoking hole in the ground, or a Wendy's.

What I found was a large construction fence surrounding the entire property, and Niederstein's. Still there, as yet untouched, not a shingle missing. Now, it's been closed for a few months . . . wonder what's happening ??!

Still not holding out much hope, but it's curious. If you're going to tear it down, get on with it already.

For crying out loud . . . how am I ever going to have closure?
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2005/07/24 12:53:38 (permalink)
The old inexpensive German "Student Prince" in Stone ridge, NY sold out to new owners last year and we now have a new releatively expensive French restaurant "The French Corner". I hear the food is very good, but have not yet tried the place.

However, We do have, in Kingston, NY, a new German Deli/butcher market that is excellent. "The Smokehouse of the Catskills" is an offshoot of a German deli/butcher that has been in business in nearby Saugerties ,NY for many years. We've recently had great cold cuts (yum, Labercasse), hot dogs, and a Porterhhouse steak from the place and everything has been first class.

Cheers, John
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 16
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1