Hot!Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone?

Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 6 of 8 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/08/11 00:27:46
I haven't read the whole thread to see if this town has been mentioned, but there's at least two German restaurants on every block just about :)

http://www.leavenworth.org/

There's a link at the top for restaurants, I've had some very good food there.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/08/11 00:39:14
I've might have posted this before. But, in case I haven't, Kuby's Restaurant/Butcher, Bakery in Dallas.
Great German food at very reasonable prices. The best meat and house made sausage products in Dallas. They will also process your game meats.
A Dallas insitution for many, many years.
unabashed
Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/08/11 00:44:30
this is not a restaurant but there is a german market accross from sheetz off of rt 11 in hagerstown md
Robearjr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/08/12 12:21:30
Hagerstown, MD has a german restaurant: Schmankerl Stube Bavarian Restaurant. It is in downtown Hagerstown. I've been there a few times. It is pretty good.

On Sundays they do a pretty good buffet, much better than most buffets.

There is also a nice outdoor patio/beer garden.
GeoNit
Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/08/14 11:59:28
Robearjr, I just found this website http://www.henningsrestaurant.org/ for Hennning's, a German restaurant in Frederick, and was wondering whether or not it might be a good place to stop between Pittsburgh and Richmond.
unabashed
Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/08/14 19:04:13
quote:
Originally posted by Robearjr

Hagerstown, MD has a german restaurant: Schmankerl Stube Bavarian Restaurant. It is in downtown Hagerstown. I've been there a few times. It is pretty good.

On Sundays they do a pretty good buffet, much better than most buffets.

There is also a nice outdoor patio/beer garden.

thanks for the tip i work so much havent had the time to explore hagerstown as much as i would like i know theres a boatload of places to eat at! i wanna try that new japanese steak house down by martins and sams club next.ever been there?
thanks
ron
cecif
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/08/14 19:09:33
Did I just search this thread and find zilch mention of the German restaurants in the Amana colonies?? [Iowa]

I know I posted the place I liked in another forum, but frankly if no one has mentioned them here it's pretty amazing!!!
" />
Robearjr
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/08/14 19:12:39
I've never heard of that place. It looks like it is on the outskirts of Frederick, and if I go to Frederick I normally eat downtown. Nevertheless, I looked at the reviews and it sounds like the place has good food. I doubt it has much in the way of atmosphere as it is in a strip mall, but on the plus side it will be easy to find, park and get back to I 70.

On a side note, I wonder why their website has .org address. It doesn't matter. It just caught my eye.
unabashed
Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/08/15 03:38:12
quote:

I've never heard of that place. It looks like it is on the outskirts of Frederick, and if I go to Frederick I normally eat downtown. Nevertheless, I looked at the reviews and it sounds like the place has good food. I doubt it has much in the way of atmosphere as it is in a strip mall, but on the plus side it will be easy to find, park and get back to I 70.

On a side note, I wonder why their website has .org address. It doesn't matter. It just caught my eye.

no its in hagerstown exit 5 off 81 halfway blvd.
if i get there soon ill give you a review...if you get there before me please let me know...never had kobe beef hope they are serving at least close to that.
thanks
ron
Milt
Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/08/15 08:40:02
quote:
Originally posted by ceciflinn

Did I just search this thread and find zilch mention of the German restaurants in the Amana colonies?? [Iowa]

I know I posted the place I liked in another forum, but frankly if no one has mentioned them here it's pretty amazing!!!
" />

While we were planning our vacation for this past summer, I did a search of several restaurant review message boards to determine where to eat in the Amana colonies. The consistent advice I received was to eat in Iowa City or even Cedar Rapids instead. The places which received so much acclaim many years ago have closed, changed hands, or chosen sales volume over quality. I was looking forward to some great German food in the Amana colonies. Apparently, I waited too long.
cecif
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/08/16 06:59:54
quote:
Originally posted by Milt
While we were planning our vacation for this past summer, I did a search of several restaurant review message boards to determine where to eat our the Amana colonies. The consistent advice I received was to eat in Iowa City or even Cedar Rapids instead. The places which received so much acclaim many years ago have closed, changed hands, or chosen sales volume over quality. I was looking forward to some great German food in the Amana colonies. Apparently, I waited too long.

Well Milt, I did post somewhere but I went to the Amana colonies this past July and had a TERRIFIC German meal there. Sorry you missed out. The atmosphere was great too!
Milt
Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/08/16 07:23:06

Well Milt, I did post somewhere but I went to the Amana colonies this past July and had a TERRIFIC German meal there. Sorry you missed out. The atmosphere was great too!

Do you recall where you had your great experience? We would still like to know where you ate.
cecif
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/08/16 09:52:00
quote:
Originally posted by Milt
Do you recall where you had your great experience? We would still like to know where you ate.

See this topic:
http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19807&whichpage=2

Ronneburg Restaurant, I'm 99% sure [I wasn't participating in RF forums then, just using an old Sterns book...].

I really enjoyed the Amana colonies, even if a bit touristy. Bought an awesome history book in one of their shops too.
Bluntfacts
Hamburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/08/31 00:15:49
Okay. Let's move this to the top. For ANYONE visiting Las Vegas that wants a genuine German place runs by actual Germans, then a visit to Cafe Heidelberg is essential. On East Sahara Avenue; very close to the strip. Other sites will say Hofbraubaus; trust me, it's not even a contest. The next best thing is the Swiss Cafe on E Tropicana, but it is somewhat of a drive from the strip.
SiennaINFLA
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/10/14 20:25:59
schnitzelhaus tampa
Tampa, Florida.
This place is AMAZING!!!

The owners are authentic German folk, live music, they take great pride in making sure you are happy!

We had the Schnitzel (Chicken & Pork), sauerkraut, and Jagerbraten, soup (potato)... plus the homemade Black Forest Cake is TO DIE FOR!

Tfshaw
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/10/15 09:51:28
quote:
Originally posted by GeoNit

Robearjr, I just found this website http://www.henningsrestaurant.org/ for Hennning's, a German restaurant in Frederick, and was wondering whether or not it might be a good place to stop between Pittsburgh and Richmond.

I ate there back in August and the food was amazing. The meals are somewhat pricey ($15 to $20) but well worth it if you are looking for good German. I would recommend the Jager schnitzel - perfectly breaded and fried pork, all tender and buttery, served with spaetzel and salad, along with homemade breads. They also have a great selection of German beers on tap.
desertdog
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/10/15 12:22:55

Who needs a German Restaurant when you have a German wife???

DD
SassyGritsAL
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/10/15 15:04:45
For German food in Huntsville, AL, try Old Heidelberg. I often eat here and their schnitzal is to die for. My fav. is with a marsala wine sauce, onions, and mushrooms. They also offer chicken schnitzal and many other veal, chicken, and wursts. The meal comes with your choice of fried potatoes or cold or hot potato salad. I love their fried potatoes with a vinegar type slaw that is outstanding.

They also features some great looking desserts that are all homemade, but I am always to full to have dessert. Next time though, I will take a slice of one of their yummy cakes home.
the plainsman
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/11/08 11:16:31
TRIANGLE HOFBRAU, PEQUANNOCK, NJ, State Rt 23 South, to Close November 10th. This German restaurant has been a North Jersey landmark since its humble beginnings in 1936 under Hans Gropp, first called the Triangle Grill. It has been there all my life, hosted countless family dinners and parties as well as almost every civic and town organization like Rotary, Friday happy hours, etc. All the good food, plus modern stuff, too. For more about this sad event, see:

http://northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk3ODkmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcyMTAwNzAmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxNQ==

See you all there one last time! The organ music begins at 6:00 PM, six German beers on tap, too.
mrinans
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/12/16 23:34:20
I have heard of a German restaurant in Detroit, where I live, that is
suppossed to be very good and very authentic.
I will research this and get back to ya.
Milt
Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/12/17 11:21:54
quote:
Originally posted by mrinans

I have heard of a German restaurant in Detroit, where I live, that is
suppossed to be very good and very authentic.
I will research this and get back to ya.

Welcome to Roadfood! We look forward to hearing your report.
fischgrape
Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/01/01 10:16:16
quote:
So, here's my question:
Is "Gus Tavern" in Newburgh run by the same people who operated the place in Cold Spring? I'm sure that old Gus himself is long gone, but perhaps his children run this other place, and perhaps the recipes are the same. If that is the case, I would love to take a drive to that restaurant. Does anyone know the answer to my question?

Ted, I don't know it they're related, but I can tell you that the sauerbraten in the Newburgh restaurant is *really* good. The goulash is great, meatloaf moist, and the rye bread that comes to the table has a great crust. They have Dinkel Acker on tap, and it smells like the German restaurant we used to go to when I was a little kid. My wife (who was born in Germany) and I both love it.

john fischer <--- note the spelling
salindgren
Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/01/06 03:30:36
Well, this I guess is kind of a tough subject. I am no expert in the field. My Dad's side was Swedish, my Mom's German, and I really don't feel attracted to either cuisine. I like Mexican and Italian, and French. Middle Eastern and a little Indian.
It seems to me that German is pretty heavy overall, and I just have not ever been big on sausages, even the desserts seem really dense to me. I think too that many people in this country don't like German wines, which in my view have usually been too sweet. German beers are a different story... But I don't even like beer. I think the Swedish side kicks in there, I like vodka, cold climate beverage.
Now, as far as German restaurants go in LA, we had a place between Downtown and Hollywood, called Loewenbrau, that was there for decades. I went there a couple of times, once with a chef friend, and once with my (German American) girlfriend and her family. Really strange decoration in there, and a VERY funky handmade menu. They just died last year. Really tired old servers. The place was on its last legs. Not far from there, there is a place called the Red Lion. Also been there for decades. This is a whole different scene, they do serve food, but it's mostly sausages and potato pancakes, booze and karaoke and hipsters. Live music. Now, beyond downtown, there's a really wacky place directly south about oh, 17 miles, in Torrance, called Alpine Village, acres and acres of German kookiness. Gift shops, communal dining, bad German food cooked no doubt by Mexicans, your worst nightmare. Grandparents and grade school kids. Got it?
As for Texas, well, it's too bad that there was a place located UNDERGROUND in downtown Dallas called the Blue Door that just closed recently. Had been a German place since God knows when, maybe the turn of the LAST century. Was supposed to be really fine dining for the execs in Dallas.
Uh, I have not been, but I know that in New Braunfels, TX, there has been a longtime, since the 1800s, German presence. Probably there are some good restaurants and breweries there.
Now, it's a little off topic, but north of Los Angeles, toward Santa Barbara, there's a town called Solvang, with a big Scandanavian presence, and there are numerous restaurants there with all the stuff you might want, the breakfast dishes, the meatballs, all that famous stuff, and that town is pretty serious about it, what they are doing is pretty true to form, it's not as junky, touristy as you might expect. Nice little small town atmosphere.
Well, that's all I know about!
-Scott Lindgren scottlindgren@netzero.net
eatingteam
Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/01/16 20:03:08
Just hit Austrian Village in Rockledge, PA ---UNBELIVEABLE

Great food, great beer.

Would reccomend this for anyone in the area.

Tony
timmmahhhh
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/01/20 03:18:31
I have panned through all eleven pages of this post and I am amazed nobody has mentioned my favorite German Restaurant - Rathskellar in downtown Indianapolis.

Not only is the food great but it is in the Athenaeum, a building built as a Greman Cultural Center. The architecture is as fantastic as the food, right down to the awesome beer hall. We brought our restless young daughters here and in walking around while waiting for our table the nice people running the gym at the Y (well it is a cultural center) let us shoot some baskets while waiting for our table!

It is in the northeast part of downtown on Massachusetts Avenue, which is an art district. For those of you familiar with Indy it is across from the Murat Temple.

Like Berghoff was to Chicago, Rathskellar is the oldest restaurant in the city. Fortunately unlike Berghof it is still around.

Also I really like Mader's in Milwaukee, also an incerdible place, at least three years ago when we went there for Sunday Brunch. Very pricey but worth it, Ithink it was $25/person.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/01/20 11:27:27
Here's one I did find in this thread, the Winzer Stube in Hudson, WI. I ate there a couple times when I lived in Hudson, going for the traditional German dishes, instead of the modern interpretations on the menu. Unfortunately, no sauerbraten, except as a Saturday special.

Good German food and great German beer.

http://www.winzerstube.net/
HollyDolly
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/01/22 15:14:12
Mader's has been in Milwaukee for years and i recall my dad said he ate there. His cousin Hildegard
had made reservations.The family didn't eat there very often ,and being German themselves,they had momma's home cooking to rely on.
The old Krause Cafe in New Braunfels is now owned by a family from Germany.I think they still call it Krause's Cafe but not sure.I haven't eaten there yet.Lots of Germans,Czechs and Hungarians around here,but there are few restaurants of these groups around the San Antonio and Hill Country area.
Muenster,Texas was founded by German Catholics,and the town has a website.
There is a german restaurant on FM78 in Kirby east of San Antonio,that had gotten some good reviews in the past,but not sure if it's still open.
You might try googling Krause Cafe.The place has a website and does show their menu.
Jeep2000
Hamburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/01/25 11:56:26
When we go to the Amana Colonies, we always visit the Ox Yoke Inn restaurant in Amana. It was recommended to me by someone who used to live in Iowa, and it's always been good. You won't leave hungry!!
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/01/25 12:39:37
We discovered a "new" German restaurant in NYC "Lederhosen" on Grove St. in Greenwich Village:
http://www.lederhosennyc.com/
It's a sort of beer drinking place with good brews from deutschland and (indoor) picnic tables for the Octoberfest atmosphere. Seems to appeal to college student types.

But the biggest treat, my appreciated by my pre-beer age daughter was Apple Shorle!!! Which is a fabulous apple cider-ish drink we have gotten in Germany many times but I never saw in US. The waitress told me that Ledehosen's owner has a "secret source".

We also liked the spaetzle and cheese, and other typical German far.
Ledershosen was fun, informal.
David_NYC
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/01/25 14:22:45
For really good Apple Schorle, these folks might be able to hook you up with a retailer:
Possmann North America Inc.
PO Box 27743
Golden Valley, MN 55427
phone: 612.819.6899

http://www.possmann.com/Contact_Us/contact_us.html

I have also seen Rosbacher and Gerolsteiner Schorle in those food stores that sell imported German foods.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/01/25 15:36:15
quote:
Originally posted by desertdog

Who needs a German Restaurant when you have a German wife???

DD

desertdog, you are indeed a very lucky man!
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/01/25 17:51:57
quote:
Originally posted by David_NYC

For really good Apple Schorle, these folks might be able to hook you up with a retailer:
Possmann North America Inc.
PO Box 27743
Golden Valley, MN 55427
phone: 612.819.6899

http://www.possmann.com/Contact_Us/contact_us.html

I have also seen Rosbacher and Gerolsteiner Schorle in those food stores that sell imported German foods.

Well, what a coincidence: here I say how hard it is to get apple shorle, then one hour later I go shopping to my regular market on 7Ave & 15th St, look high on a shelf near the beer, and buy it! yes, it was Possman. German label and all. "Only" $6.99!! (imagine the price in euros!)
David_NYC
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/01/26 00:47:23
Sometimes I think Germany is trying to become the 51st state. Look at this website for Possmann's "Big Appler", an apple wine:
http://www.bigaeppler.de/
Note that the label for this product sold on the domestic German market has the English words "Extra Mild" on the label.

New York City is known as the Big Apple. This page on the Possmann German website says the wine has a "Manhattan feel":
http://www.possmann.de/originale.php

Anyone out there stationed in Hessen while serving in the military? If so, you probably heard the name of this main drag, where Possmann has their headquarters: Eschborner Landstraße.

Isn't the Internet awesome?
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/01/26 01:08:12
David, I agree here. When we landed in Frankfurt this past Nov. all the signs (including those on buildings and even the runway!) are in English, not German. Most of the ads in the airport are in English too. It is hard to believe you have left the US. Everyone there speaks English and enjoys it. There is no point to trying to talk (bad) German, they will just answer you in English.

Since I see your name as "NYC" I am sure you have noticed all the German being spoken in NY lately, with the dollar so low, I guess the Germans are just coming to the "suburbs" to shop!

P.S. We just tasted the Possman shorle, it was a bit "off" from what I had in Germany and also at the Lederhausen (which you must try in NYC). I know it comes from Germany (Frankfurt in fact) but I guess the same way we have Coke/Pepsi they have different brands of shorle. What I really liked was a diet grapefruit soda I had there, Don't remember the name. Very refreshing!
David_NYC
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/01/26 10:32:50
Yes, there is variation in Apple Schorle. Different producers use a different ratio of apple juice to seltzer, and also add different flavorings. The people I visited on last my trip to Germany said they preferred Possmann.

I'm going to have to try Lederhosen. I just found a new place on the Lower East Side of Manhattan, just a few blocks from Katz's Deli. It is a German/Austrian cafe called Cafe Katja, at 79 Orchard Street in Manhattan. The prices are very reasonable. The feature a wonderful appetizer platter that had enough variety and food for the four of us. They have several wurst platters for only $6. I had their Goulash entree, more Hungarian than German or Austrian, that comes with fresh spaetzle. We sampled each other's dishes, and I liked the home made sauerkraut and potato salad some of my friends ordered. The place does not have a big garish sign outside and is easy to miss, so remember to take along the address.
BDavey
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/05/29 15:30:28
Hessen Haus in Des Moines, IA is a lot of fun and the food is real good. http://www.hessenhaus.com/
santacruz
Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/07/11 15:23:48
When I go to the midwest I usually like to try Good German food. I always stop in at the Winzerstube, I have been always happy with the food served there, but the last time June 2008 it was actually some of the worst food of any kind I have ever been served. Wienerschnitzel cold leathery greasy and soggy, you could take the coating off and think it was leather, dumplings tasted like old oatmeal balls with hardly any gravy, red cabbage was not crisp at all it was a gelatinous mess. It was also expensive.

Very good German/Swiss food was had at two places in New Glarus Wi.
1. New Glarus Hotel- Excellent Wienerschnitzel great red cabbage, excellent pate, just a first rate German meal.
2. Deininger's also a first rate place with excellent German/Swiss food. Both places are reasonibly priced.
WarToad
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/07/11 15:42:46
If you're ever up in the northern flatlands of Minot, Bismark, Fargo ND...

http://www.sitdownandeat.com/flash/german.html

Great roadside Diner. Lot of the typical Diner menu items, plus a wonderful rotating german menu. (which unfortunately isn't on the website. It's just a handwriten menu clipped onto the front of the actual menu.) If the special of the day has 13 consonants and 4 vowels, I can vouch it's tasty.

http://www.sitdownandeat.com/index.php
Milt
Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/07/11 15:45:16
Last month, we were close enough (65 minute drive) to The Breadbasket in Newton, Kansas to stop in for dinner (served Friday and Saturday nights only). We took some family with us - there were six of us, in all - and three had never been to The Breadbasket before. This is basic German Mennonite fare and is consistently good. It is served buffet style. The first decision is which homemade bread - there are several to choose from. Slice off as much as you care for, then move to the salads, soups, vegetables, and meats. The kraut, sausage & kraut, hot German potato salad, are exceptional. Some items, such as sliced ham, are not so uniquely German - but are still very enjoyable. The chicken borscht was particularly good. The dessert selection is also not all German. The cherry mousse is my favorite - but cakes, cookies, and ice cream (very high quality soft serve) are among the choices. The three who had never been to The Breadbasket before are now fans. My credibility regarding restaurant recommendations rose considerably that evening.
mirocard
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/09/04 03:35:35
does anyone know any authentic german reasterants in west michigan, all the ones i knew closed
Lafinwithu1953
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/09/05 08:09:00
J Betski's is a new place within the last year in the Seaboard area of Raleigh NC.

I brought my dining out group there for a fabulous dinner. The food is incredible! Every one of us LOVED our meals and desserts.

It's one restaurant that really stands out for me in this area. I'm glad it's here, and hope it's here to stay. If your in the area stop in and you'll be happy you did!

Located at:
10 W Franklin St
Raleigh, NC 27604
Phone: 919.833.7999

Check out the website and menu:

http://www.jbetskis.com/food.htm

Linda
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/09/05 08:59:56
The few times I ever even see a German restaurant anymore, the thought always goes through my mind..How do they stay in business? There's one on Fed Hwy in Dania, Fl that's been there for years. So, obviously someone is going. We have one up here in Daytona Beach, too. They're hanging in too.

I happen to love the German foods I've tried..I loved the food in Switzerland and in Germany. They had such incredible sandwiches ..The hams were amazing and they had this crusty rye or black bread. Great stuff.

It is a meat laden cuisine. Perhaps that's a turn off for many in today's world where so many are worrying about weight..Many not doing anything about it mind you...just worrying

Since my facorite meat is pork, this cuisine is right up my alley. But, because my wife does not eat swine, I have not been to any German restaurants for several years. I do remember loving all the schnitzels, especially pork, the dumplings, spatzel, "some" of the wursts, the red cabbage, pork loin with kraut and caraway seeds, potato salad (it is a bit greasy, but I love it) and especially the strudels with legitimate whipped cream! Not crazy about their sour bratten(sp),though. It's very good food.

Seems other ethnic foods have overtaken this cuisine in our country though. In the mid 80's on the east side of Manhattan, there use to be lots of really good German butchers, delis and restaurants. I have no diea if they are still there. It was literally known as "Germantown" back in the day.

There is still an excellent German butcher and deli in Bergen County, if anyone is interested..It's called Kochar's (sp)and it is good! It is in Ridgefield.

Hey, anyone know what they serve for a German breakfast? Do you think they eat those heavy wursts for breakfast?
Robearjr
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/09/06 13:07:13
I think German restaurants are kept alive by senior citizens. i'm not sure how many young people are going out for a meal of sour beef.

The one exception to this the rise in popularity of the Brat. When I was a kid in Maryland you didn't see a lot of brats at picnics. Now, thanks to the people at Johnsonville, the Brat is everywhere.
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/09/08 09:03:50
quote:

I think German restaurants are kept alive by senior citizens. i'm not sure how many young people are going out for a meal of sour beef.

German food is not just 'sour beef'.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/09/07/travel/07choice.html?ex=1378353600&en=b05b506670c90736&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/09/08 09:25:34
It's true,hard to find good German restaurants,,,we have a few,but not near by.
My kids are pretty adventurous when it comes to food and like to try new things. When we were at Epcot at Disney World,we ate at the German Pavilion German buffet...and enjoyed the German show while we ate...the kids enjoyed the food...most food served at the various countries there is pretty authentic...if you like German cuisine and go to Epcot, give it a try!!!
Lafinwithu1953
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/09/11 11:53:29
What do Germans have for breakfast you ask?

Breakfast (Frühstück) commonly consists of bread, toast, and/or bread rolls (the term for which varies a lot by region, Brötchen, Semmeln, Schrippen, Wecken or Rundstücke being among the most common) with jam ("Konfitüre"), marmalade or honey, eggs, and strong coffee or tea (milk, cocoa or juice for children).

Deli meats, such as ham, salted meats and salami, are also commonly eaten on bread in the morning, as are various cheeses. A variety of meat-based spreads such as Leberwurst (literally liver-sausage) can be found during breakfast as well.

Here's a great site for some German recipes if your interested in cooking some for yourself yourself :)

http://recipesbycindy.homestead.com/GermanRecipes.html

http://www.germanfoodguide.com/

Linda
Robearjr
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/09/11 20:57:03
quote:
Originally posted by kozel

quote:

German food is not just 'sour beef'.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/09/07/travel/07choice.html?ex=1378353600&en=b05b506670c90736&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

No I understand German food is more than just sour beef...and anyway, I like sour beef. The issue is that most German restaurants serve the old standards - like sour beef - to the old timers.
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/09/11 21:07:42
Anyone know any good ones in the Delmarva region?
Robearjr
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/09/15 23:18:49
There is a German influenced restaurant in Harford County, Maryland called Josef's. It's about 70 miles southwest of Philly and 20 miles north east of Baltimore. It is a good place, although it is a little high end and pricey.
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/09/16 00:15:36
Re Josef,s tell me more
HollyDolly
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/09/26 10:58:25
There is one in New Braunfels I haven't ried yet, in the old Krause's Cafe.The place has a website, and they may operate under the Krause Cafe name,but not sure.Some family from Germany bought the place. I'll have to try it some time.
Robearjr
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/09/27 10:46:36
Josef's County Inn is in Fallston about 15 minutes from Exit 74 off of I 95. I tried to find a website but I couldn't. It's been a few years since I went there, but it is a mix of a few german specialities with a mostly continental menu. Josef's doesn't have that Bavarian beer hall decour, so you're not going to get that kind of an experience. If, however, you're looking a wurst platter, spatzel, red cabbage and jagerschnitze while the rest of your party gets a prime rib or a rock fish, it is a good option.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/09/28 11:43:00
We had a fine lunch with Annepeeples last Monday on a quick shopping stop in Milwaukee. The place was "Maders" on Old World Third St. across from Usinger's Sausage Company's store, The food was really good and the prices quite reasonable I thought.

Here's a link to our trip report. Scroll down to the bottom of the report to see the Milwaukee section.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30445

Maders website- http://www.madersrestaurant.com/
mncorn
Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/10/18 02:55:59
Try New Ulm Minnesota or New Braunfels Tx.
Robearjr
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/10/23 20:38:11
Maders is worth the trip just to see the decour in the restaurant. Where else, other than Medievil Times, can you dine next to suits of armor?
KonaErnie
Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/10/23 21:07:30
If anyone is visiting the Charlottesville Va. area, may I recommend the Bavarian Chef on Rt. 29 in Madison Va. Whenever I visit my folks it's one of the only places we go out for dinner. Last time I had a delicious bowl of steamed mussels to start, then Dad and I both had roast duck with stuffing. My mom had the biggest pork shank I have ever laid my eyes on and it too was excellent. The entrees included 5 side dishes which included braised red cabbage, spatzle, mashed potatoes, green beans and zucchini. Dessert looked great but we had no room for any.
SeamusD
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/11/18 19:02:49
I happen to have a great German restaurant right around the corner from me in Syracuse, I try to hit it at least once a month.
Gigantic sandwiches, great potato salad and sauerkraut, and it all goes great with a big mug of Spaten.

http://www.danzers.com/

Dang, I just ate a big plate of homemade meatballs and sauce on penne, but now I'm thinking about heading down for a beer and some potato salad and kraut.
KrautLover
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/12/11 16:40:58
I live in Los Angeles which only has TWO German restaurants in the entire city!:-(

I cannot understand with some 40 to 50 million Americans of German descent why German cuisine is not more popular.
RubyRose
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/12/29 11:30:13
We're visiting Florida this week and were happy to find that a German restaurant we've enjoyed many times was still open and very busy.  It's the Cafe Coconut Cove in Melbourne FL.  Don't let the name or the two wooden Tiki gods out front from some former identity deter you. 

http://www.cafecoconutcove.com/
Time for Pie
Hamburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2009/07/08 01:52:16
An interesting discussion, thanks.

I've mostly lived in areas with strong German heritage, so I can contribute a bit here.

I lived for a long time in Cincinnati, which supports a large German population.  Unfortunately, there aren't too many German places left there...certainly not as many places as Milwaukee still has, for example.  The best one I thought was Grammer's near downtown, but it closed as a full-service restaurant several years ago and now houses a bar with a limited German lunch-style menu.  Black Forest Restaurant is still going, north of Cincinnati in Mason (a few miles due west of Kings Island amusement park), with a full German menu.  I was last there to announce our engagement to our parents 20 years ago, so any review I post wouldn't be fair, but back then it was authentic and tasty.  Cincinnati also has a Hoffbrau House just across the river in Newport, KY.

I can also back the earlier post about Indianapolis' Rathskeller.  What a great building!  A very realistic German beer hall.  I don't remember the food too much, but the beer was good (or maybe I don't remember because the beer was good!)  ;)

For the last three years, I've been in Hermann, MO, a touristy river town with an interesting German-flavored history.  (Elementary school was taught in German here until the late 1930s.)  Surprisingly, there is not as much German food here as I expected.  Stone Hill's Vintage Restaurant, as Brad says in the quote below, has authentic German food that is delicious, and another winery in town (Hermannhof) has meats and cheeses etc to have your own casual meal.
Brad_Olson

I just stumbled into the middle of a conversation between my wife and her parents, and the in-laws were talking about an excellent German meal they ate at the restaurant at the Stone Hill/Stonehill Winery in Herman, MO. Comparisons were made to the reputedly excellent cooking of my wife's great-grandmother, who was born and raised in Austria.

Brad

There are also festivals like Wurstfest (late March), Maifest, BBQ & Brats Festival (late September), Kristkindel Markt in early December, and Octoberfest, when other German dishes can be found in town.  Also (please excuse the plug ahead) I operate a pie-and-coffee shop here that offers bratwurst sandwiches from famous local provider, Swiss Meats, as part of our limited menu.

I would like to hear more about the German restaurants in the St. Louis area.  Anyone?
post edited by Time for Pie - 2009/07/08 01:59:15
Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 6 of 8 - Powered by APG vNext Trial