Hot!Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone?

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 16
Author
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/01/09 16:08:38 (permalink)
I agree with Garry.
And, I also think the German/Bavarian/old world style, just does not keep up with the slick modern restaurants that are popular today.

Stylistically, it's old fashioned for restaurant goers, who tend to tend to look for the "in" place. Old World Bavarian restaurants, just don't seem to grab the niche of the vast restaurant goers.

In addition, in many cities, German neighborhoods are considerably smaller and in many cases, gone.
Slowly, the restaurants close, due to the kids not wanting to take over the family business and lower number of restaurant patrons.

I think the mix of a neaveaux cooking style and sleek modern restaurants, combined with ever shrinking european ethnic neighborhoods, has made many bavarian restaurants (and bakeries) close over time.

garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 709
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/01/09 17:15:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

I agree with Garry.
And, I also think the German/Bavarian/old world style, just does not keep up with the slick modern restaurants that are popular today.

Stylistically, it's old fashioned for restaurant goers, who tend to tend to look for the "in" place. Old World Bavarian restaurants, just don't seem to grab the niche of the vast restaurant goers.

In addition, in many cities, German neighborhoods are considerably smaller and in many cases, gone.
Slowly, the restaurants close, due to the kids not wanting to take over the family business and lower number of restaurant patrons.

I think the mix of a neaveaux cooking style and sleek modern restaurants, combined with ever shrinking european ethnic neighborhoods, has made many bavarian restaurants (and bakeries) close over time.

Also don't forget the low carb diet fad!
tjr
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 136
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/01/26 00:45:21 (permalink)
It's just not cool to be German, not like being Irish or Italian or Hispanic. How many little kids do you know with even vaguely German first names? Well, mine for one, but how many others?

Having the Krauts as villains in 2 world wars didn't help either. During the 1st one, lots of people and places gave up their German names.

Back to the subject, the Rathskellar in Indy has a pretty cool atmosphere and the food is passable at least, similar to the Bergie.
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/01/26 01:00:35 (permalink)
Auf Wiedersehen... The Schnitzelbank in Grand Rapids will be closing their doors next Tuesday. The 72 year old institution was purchased by a local hospital that plans on making the site into a parking lot. The grandson of the founders plans on retiring...
Another gold mine that sadly goes into the history books.
ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/01/26 09:21:43 (permalink)
Considering that many folks like certain German specialties, and the given dearth of German restaurants in Jersey (we have a few, but only 2 or three are considered good), I'm surprised that certain good restaurants don't offer 4 or 5 German dishes on their menu.
The Bear
Jjudd
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/01/26 09:56:41 (permalink)
Any insite as to why there seems to be a "death" of German restaurants in New Jersey.... as well as a lack of the same in many other areas??

It seems from this forum that there is a real desire for German meals.

Jjudd
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/01/26 10:09:47 (permalink)
I think I answered my own posting, after reading backwards in this forum... again... such great information.. I just have to read before I write.... sorry!
GeoNit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 378
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/02/08 13:35:58 (permalink)
Sadly, this one burned to the ground this morning:

http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/13821262.htm

http://www.happyvalley.com/BestOf/bushhouse.cfm

Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/02/08 13:57:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by GeoNit

Sadly, this one burned to the ground this morning:

http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/13821262.htm

http://www.happyvalley.com/BestOf/bushhouse.cfm

that is a complete shame. very sad.

~S
We Are Penn State!
Burgermeister
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 73
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/02/09 21:55:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Kraut_by_marriage

quote:
Originally posted by Roy

I can't tell you where to go to get good German food but I can tell you where not to go....Connecticut. A vast wasteland for anything authentic.

Have you tried
Helga's German American Cuisine
55 Stony Hill Rd - Bethel, CT - - - that was always our favorite.

Sorry, but I think Helga's is horrible.

Low quality food, poorly prepared.

Not recommended.

Burgermeister
Hamburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/02/09 21:59:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kozel

I don't descriminate. I'll drink German as well as Czech beer.

You shoulod try the best beer in the world which is not from Germany or Czechoslovakia it's from...

Belgium!

AndreaB
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/02/09 22:27:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tjr

It's just not cool to be German, not like being Irish or Italian or Hispanic.

Yah it's cool to be German. You have that extra arrrrr in your accent. Moi is very happy to have the country German accent.
My mother is German and in her 70's and it was hilarious when an older man heard her talking in the grocery line and swirled up to her and said "ah, an Irish lass!" and I turned around and said "Irish lass my a** try Teutonic terror!".
But, really if you ever come through Lexington and like German food you should try Marikkas --- they have a bazillion different beers.

Andrea
Lamkid
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/02/09 23:34:29 (permalink)
In Portland, Oregon area we have the Rheinlander, and about four Gustav's, all in the same family.

http://gustavs.net/index.html

http://www.rheinlander.com/

They serve very good food, very good service and the price is good. I have been to Germany twice now, and my husband used to live there, back in his Army days. The thing about Germany is the food changes, when you travel North, South, East, or West. All good, just different influences. If your in the area, you really need to stop by at Gustav's, they are open all day,(don't close between lunch and dinnner) so you can dive in at any time.
http://www.solotraveler.info
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/02/10 08:01:28 (permalink)
If your ever in the Detroit area, check out Jacoby's Biergarten. Nothing fancy but great schnitzel, menu and price's.

http://www.jacobys1904.com
Skillets
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/02/12 10:41:28 (permalink)
There is a yummy German place in Tampa with great entertainment! http://www.schnitzelhaustampa.com/
Burgermeister
Hamburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/02/13 10:31:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by AndreaB

Yah it's cool to be German. You have that extra arrrrr in your accent. Moi is very happy to have the country German accent.
My mother is German and in her 70's and it was hilarious when an older man heard her talking in the grocery line and swirled up to her and said "ah, an Irish lass!" and I turned around and said "Irish lass my a** try Teutonic terror!".

Andrea

Nothing better than a Hübsche fräulein mit einem deutschen akzent!

tjr
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 136
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/02/13 12:11:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by AndreaB
Teutonic terror!".

Ha, have to remember that one!

Where I come from, the mark of a "dutchman" (deutschmann) was his "dees" and "does". That and using a "wacuum" cleaner.

It's kinda interesting to me that while the restaurants seem to be disappearing, kraut, brats, rye bread, etc. appear in just about any supermarket. Maybe German food, like soul food or southern country cooking, is just something you make at home...
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 912
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/02/18 14:53:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wolverine

If your ever in the Detroit area, check out Jacoby's Biergarten. Nothing fancy but great schnitzel, menu and price's.
http://www.jacobys1904.com

I like Jacoby's though it's not a particularly ethnic German restaurant ... In Detroit, that would be the Dakota Inn Rathskeller.

The Dakota Inn Rathskeller is the only surviving, true ethnic German restaurant still existing in Detroit, and they have the very best German cooking in the city.
The Dakota is as close as you can get to the type of classic 1930's German restaurant (Rathskeller/Biergarten) that was a mainstay of German immigrant community in Detroit during the first half of the last century. The restaurant's original interior has changed little over the years, though the iceboxes (coolers) are no longer trap-doors in the floor behind the bar. Heavy wooden tables and benches line the main hall and Deer and Elk adorn the walls.

When I first visited the Dakota, patrons who needed another stein of beer still could still summon the braufrau (waitress) by pulling on the rope to ring the bell that hung above many tables. They've since removed the ropes.
There are German style sing-alongs Fridays and Saturdays which feature American standards of the 1920's and 30's as well as the classic German sing-along `Schnitzelbank`; all accompanied by the piano which resides up above the crowd in an alcove in the wall, On weekends the restaurant is full of singers during the sing-alongs - it is a very popular tradition.

The menu, as well as the beer and liquor selection are absolutely as authentic as you will find. When you have an Asbach Uralt or a Jaegermeister here, you are taking part in a tradition that goes back over 60 years at the Dakota.

Their website is http://www.dakota-inn.com

Kenny da Fat Man
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 98
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/02/25 16:23:24 (permalink)
I'll throw in my two cents:

In Pittsburgh we have a few exceptional German restaurants:

Penn Brewery - www.pennbrew.com
Max's - www.maxsalleghenytavern.com
Kleiner Deutschmann - www.pittsburghlive.com/x/style/articles/s_424633.html

Bonus: Max's Allegheny Tavern is haunted!
CoastFan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/02/25 20:04:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lamkid

In Portland, Oregon area we have the Rheinlander, and about four Gustav's, all in the same family.

http://gustavs.net/index.html

http://www.rheinlander.com/

They serve very good food, very good service and the price is good. I have been to Germany twice now, and my husband used to live there, back in his Army days. The thing about Germany is the food changes, when you travel North, South, East, or West. All good, just different influences. If your in the area, you really need to stop by at Gustav's, they are open all day,(don't close between lunch and dinnner) so you can dive in at any time.

Lamkid, I made a similar post this past summer. Didn't realize there's now a Gustav's in Vancouver. Anyhow, I opined that The Rheinlander is the best German restaurant on the West Coast, in my view. Post quoted below.

quote:
"Months ago" now, I opined that in my opinion, the best German restaurant I've been to on the West Coast is in Portland. It is Horst Mager's Rhinelander. Second place, IMO, might go to Shroeder's in San Francisco.

In Portland, there are a couple of more casual offshoots of the Rhinelander called Gustav's. There's one in Clackamas (Eastside) and one on the Westside. They have a family style dinner which is both good and a good deal. For about $11.00 per person, you get sauerbraten, red cabbage, sour kraut, spatzle, sausages and a chicken schnitzel (sp?) which is outstanding.

I have a - let's just say "healthy" - appetite, and there was plenty.
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 838
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/02/26 20:46:08 (permalink)
And I thought I knew all the German places here on Long Island. We had dinner today at the Oak Chalet in Bellmore. According to their site, they've been there 25 years now. It's a really nice place, pleasant service and the food was pretty good. They had a good crowd for a Sunday afternoon and most of the customers seemed to be regulars.

http://www.oakchalet.net
bigbear
Hamburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/02/28 04:37:49 (permalink)
http://www.magazineusa.com/lv2/catalog/dir_germanrestaurants.asp?state=NY]

This'll link to some more NY State German Restaurants.
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 838
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/02/28 08:19:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bigbear

The list seems old and out of date. Niedertstein's, Flessel's, Gebhardt's(Glendale) are long gone. The P Valley Old Heidelberg Inn and Mayer's are gone too I think. The Pine Grove and Lutzens are not the same places any more. There's no 631 area codes either. I'd verify anything on the list before I'd go. You have any knowledge of those South Shore entries? (Georgia's or Kleinfelder's)
bigbear
Hamburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/03/07 12:12:41 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

The list seems old and out of date. Niedertstein's, Flessel's, Gebhardt's(Glendale) are long gone. The P Valley Old Heidelberg Inn and Mayer's are gone too I think. The Pine Grove and Lutzens are not the same places any more. There's no 631 area codes either. I'd verify anything on the list before I'd go. You have any knowledge of those South Shore entries? (Georgia's or Kleinfelder's)

You're right. The list must be old. I know that Georgia's is gone too. My bad.
linus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 252
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/03/07 13:34:14 (permalink)
http://www.klucksrestaurant.com/

If you're ever in Cleveland, this place is very good. Been here forever, good veal dishes.
spaetzelboy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/03/16 20:15:04 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

You're right. The list must be old. I know that Georgia's is gone too. My bad.

Triangle Hofbrau on Jamaica Avenue has been gone for at least 10 years.
Anita321
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/05/30 19:41:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by KimChee43

Dear Friends:

Well, autumn is here. It's getting on Oktoberfest time. I've got a hankering for some really fine German cuisine. Where can it be found? We've eaten at the Berghoff and Chicago Brauhaus in Chicago. Neither one did much for us at all. Our absolute favorite used to be Dieterle's in Elgin, Illinois, but it closed years ago. We've tried Mader's and Karl Ratsch's in Milwaukee. Wasn't too keen on those either. We're willing to make a weekend road trip to find some good German food. Somebody please tell us where it is?!

Many thanks.

KimChee43
Anita321
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/05/30 19:45:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by KimChee43

Dear Friends:

Well, autumn is here. It's getting on Oktoberfest time. I've got a hankering for some really fine German cuisine. Where can it be found? We've eaten at the Berghoff and Chicago Brauhaus in Chicago. Neither one did much for us at all. Our absolute favorite used to be Dieterle's in Elgin, Illinois, but it closed years ago. We've tried Mader's and Karl Ratsch's in Milwaukee. Wasn't too keen on those either. We're willing to make a weekend road trip to find some good German food. Somebody please tell us where it is?!

well verytime i get a chance I go to the Schnitzelplatz
in Glendale Heights . The Owners Elfriede and Wolfgang are great
and so is the Bartender Leo( tell Them hello and that Anita from Michigan send you ) and all the staff. Best german Food around and for Desert dont miss the Ruedesheimer Coffee
Wish I could get there more often.
Enjoy :)

Many thanks.

KimChee43
roadrash
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 231
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/06/08 18:58:36 (permalink)
In Glendale, AZ, there is a reasonably decent German restaurant called (of all things), Murphy's. The schnitzel is pretty tasty, and they serve Spaten Oktoberfest. That's all I require of a German restaurant.

Oh, and a belated RIP to Haussner's restaurant in Highlandtown, MD (near Baltimore). A legend that I'll never forget, if for nothing else the second largest ball of twine in the world.
rbh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/06/28 19:18:43 (permalink)
The Rheinland in Independence, MO (208 N Main St) was pretty interesting. Granted, I went there once. But it seemed pretty authentic. Anybody else been there?

Here's a review: http://www.kcactive.com/fooddrink/restrev/rest2005_08_05.htm
The lunch menu: http://www.rheinlandrestaurant.com/lunch-menu.html
The dinner menu: http://www.rheinlandrestaurant.com/dinner-menu.html
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 16
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1