Hot!Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone?

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 16
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10074
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/07/25 15:20:54 (permalink)
I used to lament the fact that a city with as much German history as Pittsburgh, only had three German restaurants left. But after reading through all of these posts and hearing about all the closings, I'm thinking I should feel lucky. The best one in Pittsburgh is Kleiner Deutschmann in the little town of Springdale, just northeast of the city. Besides having very good food, the building is painted bright pink and has a stuffed polar bear in front. If anyone can explain what this has to do with German food, I'd love to hear it. The other two places, Max's Allegheny Tavern and Penn Brewery have fine atmosphere, but the food is average.

I have also been told by a very reliable source that German restaurants are flourishing in Southwest Florida (Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples). Considering it is a big tourist destination for Germans coming to the U.S., that certainly makes sense.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/07/26 13:21:22 (permalink)
I should mention that I finally made it to Schmidt's Restaurant and Sausage Haus in The German Village area of Columbus on Sunday. I really liked all the sausages I tried and the cream puff for dessert was fantastic. But, I was disappointed in some of the sides. The German Potato Salad was awful and the spatzle with sauerbraten gingersnap gravy was just okay. Still, it was an enjoyable experience and I'm glad I ate there. Just don't expect great German food.
HollyDolly
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1069
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/08/10 13:18:12 (permalink)
There are a few German restaraunts here in the area,but we have never tried them.We did eat at Oma's Haus in New braunfels.It was alright,but my dad was not impressed.A german family from the old country has taken over the old Krause's Cafe in town so I may try it some time.
Mader's in Milwaukee must have changed from years ago.I know my dad ate there once or twice in the past.
My cousin Hildegard he said used to make cheesecakes using an old family recipe and sell them to Mader's who later bought the recipe.My dad felt grandma's cooking was best.She used to make all the german dishes .Her family the Steldts were Prussians from Riga, and grandpa's family from Bavaria,so my dad grew up with a mix of both styles of cooking.
And different parts of Germany just like,in France,China,etc. do have regional differences.
There is an Alsatian restaraunt in Castroville,west of San Antonio,though I have never eaten there.
The town was named for Henry,Count Castro who brought Alsatian settlers to Texas.
There are lots of germans here,but they are kind of scattered and just not the old ethnic neighborhoods like in the old days,plus they assimilated in to American Society pretty well.
There was a Polish and a Hungarian restarunts here in town,but I don't know if they are in business anymore.
glenellyn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/09/10 10:14:41 (permalink)
I have just the place for you! Mack's Golden Pheasant located in elmhurst has been serving german food since 1948. They have slow roasted pork, wiener schnitzel, dumplings and kraut. Also starting September 15-nov. 1 they begin there oktoberfest menu which features sausage samplers, sauerbraten, red cabbage and potato pancakes. The prices are reasonable and you'll love the atmosphere. I'be been to Berghoff and the Brauhaus and I like the Pheasant just as much. Hope you get a chance to visit

Cheers
quote:
Originally posted by KimChee43

Dear Friends:

Well, autumn is here. It's getting on Oktoberfest time. I've got a hankering for some really fine German cuisine. Where can it be found? We've eaten at the Berghoff and Chicago Brauhaus in Chicago. Neither one did much for us at all. Our absolute favorite used to be Dieterle's in Elgin, Illinois, but it closed years ago. We've tried Mader's and Karl Ratsch's in Milwaukee. Wasn't too keen on those either. We're willing to make a weekend road trip to find some good German food. Somebody please tell us where it is?!

Many thanks.

KimChee43
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/09/10 11:19:59 (permalink)
I am glad this came up again..we have many restaurants in Milw.that serve good German fare,but I have to report one of my Favories, Maders, has taken a turn for the worse.Their menu is starting to try and appeal to a broader mass(i.e.people who dont like german food)and I was bitterly disappointed in their beef rouladen when I was there.Instead using the good, standard recipe,they substituted the thinly pounded round steak with tenderloin.NOT at all necessary to do so!!!Changes the whole flavor of the dish.Plus the price doubled.Just wasnt that tasty.Karl Ratzches(spelling?)is still a wonderful spot for good authentis german food.
HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1069
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/09/11 15:58:05 (permalink)
Seems to me AnnPeeples Rachael Ray went to Karl Ratzches in Milwaukee on her 40 Dollars a Day show.
Never have eaten there.But yes,i looked at Mader's website and didn't really see anything remotely German there.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3140
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/09/11 19:31:30 (permalink)
We lost the small neighborhood German restaurant I posted about a while ago, Lemke's Crest. I miss it for what it was. When my German food cravings take over, I go back to my old favorite that's never let me down, Karl Ratzsch's http://www.karlratzsch.com/ I've since found Wegner's St. Martin's Inn http://www.stmartinsinn.com/ to fill my small menu neighborhood type eating place needs. Now if they only served roast goose......
Burgermeister
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 73
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/09/13 12:34:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

...The best one in Pittsburgh is Kleiner Deutschmann in the little town of Springdale, just northeast of the city. Besides having very good food, the building is painted bright pink and has a stuffed polar bear in front. If anyone can explain what this has to do with German food, I'd love to hear it...

Here's a link to a great review of the restaurant:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_279586.html

kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/09/13 13:58:49 (permalink)
It was reported today on another site that Gasthaus zur Linde in Elgin Illinois will be closing 10/4/06. Owned by a husband/wife team, the husband passed away a few years ago and now the wife is in ill health. I hadn't been there in many years, don't live in that area anymore.
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/09/18 09:13:24 (permalink)
We just got back from a trip to Memphis. Erika's German-American restaurant has closed after 19 years. This was Memphis's only German restaurant. It was located upstairs from Charlie Vergos' Rendezvous. No explanation was given on the sign on the door. One more down.
Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/09/19 09:38:13 (permalink)
I'm really sad to hear that Maders in Milwaukee has slipped. Looking at their website confirms what you say. One of the last good German meals I had was at Maders in 1998. They had a luncheon combo plate that was ridiculous and fabulous for about 7 or 8 bucks. Soup or spinach salad with warm bacon dressing, three meat entrees, red cabbage, kraut, and the works. Five of us were having our last meal in town. We all ordered the same plate and finished every morsel.

There really are no German restaurants I know of in the Boston area. One of the older barrooms in town, Jacob Wirth, serves a few German items along with typical pub fare. Closest restaurant I've heard of is in Springfield. Does anyone know of good (or decent) German in the area?
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/09/19 10:20:12 (permalink)
roadrash-

You mention Haussner's near Baltimore. Was that the place that had an art collection valued in the millions? What an interesting place that was! Great food and even better atmosphere. Sorry to hear it is there no more. When did it close down?
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/09/19 10:50:05 (permalink)
Ashphalt, There are 2 in Spingfield that I know of. The old standby is the Student Prince the downtown area. Not bad I enjoyed it recently on a trip back from Saratoga. I had the hasenpferffer {sp?} I like rabbit and it was the first time I've had it in a retaurant, nice. Also there is the Hofbrauhaus in W. Springfield went there last year after attending the Big E enjoyed that as well. In Methuen Ma. On the Salem NH. border is the Wirtshaus Nice old restaurant in an old farm house, their only open Thurs. thru Sun. evenings. It's been there many years with a loyal local clientel, traditional German fare with American offerings, nice selection of German beers also. It's on my list to go back soon. From So. Boston I'm hearing very good reviews of a fairly new Polish Rest with some Barvarian offerings as well. Damed if I can remember the name though, going to try it out this week or next. I'll post about it later. Chow Jim
doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/09/19 11:56:14 (permalink)

I think there is room for German restaurants to survive and flourish if they scale down from what seems to be discussed here. It appears that folks here are talking about places that actually have a decent sized dining area. I think that if a place followed what happens at a British/Irish pub and model itself after a small beerhall, it could work.
The same people who would eat bangers and mash probably would be just as hungry for wurst and potato pancakes.

I think German women are sexier and have better dental work.....

mark
dbrandon
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 70
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/09/19 13:38:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jimeats

Ashphalt, There are 2 in Spingfield that I know of. The old standby is the Student Prince the downtown area. Not bad I enjoyed it recently on a trip back from Saratoga. I had the hasenpferffer {sp?} I like rabbit and it was the first time I've had it in a retaurant, nice. Also there is the Hofbrauhaus in W. Springfield went there last year after attending the Big E enjoyed that as well. In Methuen Ma. On the Salem NH. border is the Wirtshaus <snip> Chow Jim

Both of these are good, although I find the atmosphere in the Student Prince kind of dark and oppressive. A bit further north in Chicopee is the Munich Haus http://munichhaus.com/, which has become a regular lunch spot for my work crowd.

Dan B,
who always has room for more schnitzel und spaetzel.
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 865
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/10/03 13:30:49 (permalink)
The town of Easley, SC, my neck of the woods, now has a German restaurant. Cafe Fritz is located in what used to be a Huddle House. I've eat there twice so far and have been pleased. I'm not sure how it compares with other German places, having never eaten at any, but to me it's pretty good. The first time I had a sausage platter with bratwurst, weisswurst, and knockwurst, with german potato salad and a side salad. I wasn't crazy about the weisswurst but the others were very tasty.

Today for lunch I had jaegerschnitzel with german potato salada, potato pancakes (I overloaded on the potatoes, I know, but I'd never had potato pancakes before) and a side salad. Very good. I think this place will do well, especially once they get a beer license.

Food is Easley used to be so boring. Now there's some hope. This place, along with the sushi place that is still in business (I thought it'd never last, that's no dig on the food, it's just Easley isn't a sushi town), and an authentic Italian restaurant (haven't tried it yet), are signs that Easley's taste buds are expanding along with the town.
CoastFan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/10/06 19:59:14 (permalink)
While the Seattle area isn't renowned for German cuisine, there is a three location, lighter cuisine group of restaurants and "biergartens" which aren't too bad. The newest and largest is Feierabend. The other two are Prost and Die Bierstube. Not too bad.

http://www.feierabendseattle.com/
loves to eat
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/10/28 13:38:33 (permalink)
We love the Student Prince and Fort in Springfield MA. The place is filled with steins, beautiful stained glass windows,great food,fun people,and my favorite,great BEER. We have family from Ohio that make the trip just to go to the Student Prince.(they say it's to see us but we spend all our time with them at the Fort.) Here in Springfield it's a family tradition. I love the club steak,my husband prefers the jagersnitzle. We love game fest in feb. and the carolers at Christmas time. If you're in the area don't miss it.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5408
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/10/29 00:30:14 (permalink)
@Loves to Eat, Welcome(back?) Didn't we have someone else with this name? Something close maybe??

Anyways Welcome to Roadfood.

MikeS.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5046
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/10/29 00:58:10 (permalink)
Kuby's in Dallas. The best wurst in Dallas. Even Rachel Ray has been there!
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/10/29 07:19:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kland01s

It was reported today on another site that Gasthaus zur Linde in Elgin Illinois will be closing 10/4/06. Owned by a husband/wife team, the husband passed away a few years ago and now the wife is in ill health. I hadn't been there in many years, don't live in that area anymore.

I was told the other day that this place is not closing and now has a new owner and chef. They will maintain a German menu.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/10/29 07:20:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MikeS.

@Loves to Eat, Welcome(back?) Didn't we have someone else with this name? Something close maybe??

Anyways Welcome to Roadfood.

MikeS.

I post everywhere else as LikestoEatout, didn't think of it when I first began to post here.
CNW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 184
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/10/30 12:00:27 (permalink)
The Berliner Bear in Kansas City is about to close. The owner has it for sale, but no nibbles. It's been around forever it seems but it has been years since I last visited.

CNW
Texianjoe
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 639
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/10/30 12:30:31 (permalink)
We used to have many good German restaurants in Houston. We are down to two.

Rudy Lechner's on the west side.

[url][/url]http://www.rudilechners.com/

And the Alpine Brauhaus in Webster on the souteast side.

[url][/url]http://www.b4-u-eat.com/houston/restaurants/reviews/rsv2272.asp

The Black Forest is gone and I miss it. It had a gazeebo where a German band played on the weekends, it was a fun place.

joe
Voyageur
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 400
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/11/02 23:04:55 (permalink)
I really enjoyed the rustic Suppenkuche in San Francisco several years ago. Was recommended by the AAA auto club.

Had the Kartoffelsuppe (potato soup) followed by the Käsespätzle mit Zwiebel-Buttersoße und gemischtem Salat (Cheese Spätzle in Onion Butter Sauce served with a small Mixed Salad) for under $20. Absolutely delicious. Had no room left for dessert.

Located between downtown and Golden Gate Park.

http://www.suppenkuche.com/
http://www.suppenkuche.com/welcome.html
CoastFan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/11/04 16:52:03 (permalink)
I'll have to try the Suppenkuche next time in the City by the Bay. I have been to Shroeder's in San Francisco. IMO, that is the second best German restaurant on the West Coast that I've experienced. (The best is Horst Mager's Rheinlander in Portland, OR).

http://www.schroederssf.com/
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2164
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/11/06 10:32:03 (permalink)
Many people have given reasons why many German restaurants have closed. I'd like to add a few without repeating what other posters have written.

In many ways, this topic is very similar to the death watch being held for the remaining Howard Johnson's restaurants. Time change. I have a Bavarian cousin who has been visiting me for 35 years now. We would often go to the NY area German restaurants mentioned earlier in this thread. His comment was that these restaurants were frozen in time. The dark decor and the heavy food were anachronistic. The fact that some of these restaurants were using those step-saver products from SYSCO, et. al. changed the character of the food.

In my less frequent visits to Bavaria, I note that the majority of restaurants serve food that is much lighter fare than what was served in those closed restaurants listed here. In Bavaria, people eat a lot of Italian food and pizza. Plenty of McDonalds, Pizza Hut, KFC, Burger King, and Taco Bell. The restaurants that locals (not tourists) go to don't play that music you hear of oom pah pah bands in old German restaurants. The radio stations targeted at a young audience play mostly English language songs. Go on the internet and find that the median age of the listeners to radio stations that play mostly German music is about 55 years old.

As mentioned earlier, there are some new German restaurants opening in the US. A lot have names that do not denote they serve German food, having english names. The one I ate at, Hallo Berlin in Manhattan, seemed to serve modern German cuisine.
Voyageur
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 400
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/11/06 14:19:22 (permalink)
David NYC, your post is very insightful. The Suppenkuche I mentioned above has carved out a niche by having a nice selection for the Bay Area's vegetarian diners, along with more traditional fare. My server mentioned that there’s huge demand for veggie items in their restaurant, and that Germany itself now has some 6 million vegetarians due in part to the European concern with Mad Cow disease.

You'd think the small Roadfood-type restaurants in this country would have a giant advantage in responding to changes in customer tastes, be they the trend for more spicy foods, lighter food, or whatever, but so very many are set in their ways. Being set in your ways can be a very, very good thing when it comes to serving quality food, but not in the case of a place like the Bakers Cafeteria in Des Moines, where the average age of the diners in its gloomy dining room during my last visit a year or so ago was nearing 70 years, with not a family in sight.

Along this line, it's interesting to glance at the comfort food suggestions in the following link. Which chefs are going to draw the family whose members have different tastes? Where one person is concerned about fat in their diet? Or, carbs? Where someone doesn't eat red meat? Where someone is on a training diet? I know the chefs aren't listing their entire menus, but are some concerned at all about such issues? And, if they say they can't do this for various reasons, are they being very creative in creating specialty dishes that appeal to all? http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16195

Here's one of their competitors that is concerned. Check out its various menus.
http://www.pfchangs.com/
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 825
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/11/07 11:30:05 (permalink)
Two New York area places I've recently visited for the first time are Killmeyer's in Staten Island and The Oak Chalet in Bellmore Long Island. Killmeyers looks like it's been around forever, it is an old hotel, has a beer garden out back and a great old time bar. They has a great selection of beer; but I was sorely disappointed in the food. The Oak Chalet also had a great selection of beer and prepared one of the best German meals I've had in quite some time. I can't recommend it enough.
jra929
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/11/12 08:42:43 (permalink)
I stumbled upon this forum by accident yesterday, and was so interetsed that I Immediately signed up. I currently live in DC, where there are quite a few people of German descent, but have yet to find any such ethnic restaurants. Maybe it's due to the difficulty making these foods, or the percieved heaviness of the meals, or changing tastes - but you can find everything else here. I too have enjoyed Karl Rausch's in Milwaukee. Growing up in Chicago, I really enjoyed Berghoff's, Math Iglers, and the Golden Ox on Clyborne - sadly gone. Chicago has always had an abundance of great German, Czech, and Hungarian restaurants. My parents regularly visited the Old Prague and KLas's
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 16
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1