Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone?

Change Page: 12345678 > | Showing page 1 of 8, messages 1 to 60 of 460
KimChee43
  • Total Posts : 382
  • Reward points : 0
Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Mon, 09/22/03 5:13 PM
Dear Friends:

Well, autumn is here. It's getting on Oktoberfest time. I've got a hankering for some really fine German cuisine. Where can it be found? We've eaten at the Berghoff and Chicago Brauhaus in Chicago. Neither one did much for us at all. Our absolute favorite used to be Dieterle's in Elgin, Illinois, but it closed years ago. We've tried Mader's and Karl Ratsch's in Milwaukee. Wasn't too keen on those either. We're willing to make a weekend road trip to find some good German food. Somebody please tell us where it is?!

Many thanks.

KimChee43

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7382
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Mon, 09/22/03 5:27 PM
You might want to consider Columbus Ohio. They even have a section of town called German Village. I believe Madison Wisconsin also has quite a few German Restaurants as well.

KimChee43
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Mon, 09/22/03 5:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

You might want to consider Columbus Ohio. They even have a section of town called German Village. I believe Madison Wisconsin also has quite a few German Restaurants as well.

WANDERINGJEW: Many thanks! Have you ever tried any of the German restaurants, though, in either Columbus or Madison? If so, which ones, in your opinion, are worth a weekend road trip?

Bushie
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Mon, 09/22/03 6:00 PM
KimChee, if you want to drive just a TINY bit further, come on down to Texas and go to the place where I celebrate Oktoberfest every year; the Walburg Restaurant, not too far north of Austin, in Walburg, TX. EXCELLENT German food, and a great time overall:

http://www.walburgrestaurant.com/index.asp

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7382
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Mon, 09/22/03 6:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by KimChee43

quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

WANDERINGJEW: Many thanks! Have you ever tried any of the German restaurants, though, in either Columbus or Madison? If so, which ones, in your opinion, are worth a weekend road trip?

I haven't tried any of the ones in Madison. I tried Schmidt's Sausage Haus in Columbus and that was really good. Right in the heart of German Village. I don't really know if it's worth going there for a weekend trip, however there are plenty of shops and brewpubs to keep you busy!

Craig328
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Mon, 09/22/03 7:20 PM
Ole Helderberg in Tequesta FL is far the most authentic German cuisine I've ever seen. Sorry no web site, hours are Tues-Sun 4:00PM to 11:00PM very exclusive dining ... and affordable.

TJ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 4481
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Mon, 09/22/03 11:41 PM
Cincinnati has 5 or 6 good quality German restaurants.....

spadoman
  • Total Posts : 228
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Tue, 09/23/03 8:12 AM
Weekend Road trip for German food. Sounds like you're in the Chicago area, so, try Minnesota! Carl's Bavarian Hunter Gasthuas in Stillwater, MN. Right across the river from Wisconsin and only a few miles North of I-94. & hours from Chi town. Great food, great beer, Oktoberfest every weekend in the "big tent" Accordian music. Lederhosen clad waitstaff and did I say good food? This is the place that catered the Oktoberfest party scene in the movie "Grumpier Old Men". It was filmed about a week into November and Carl personally supervised another tent and set-up the comp[lete deal downtown Stillwater. They know their stuff.

hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1070
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Tue, 09/23/03 8:58 AM
I live in Columbus and unfortunately most of the German restaurants have closed. Schmidt's Sausage Haus on Kossuth in German Village is the exception. It is good but my favrotie thing to do there is to buy the sausages from their deli case (especially the Bahama Mama) and cook them myself. The cream puffs are also not to be missed. For some good pictures go to:

http://www.hollyeats.com/Schmidts.htm

kland01s
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Tue, 09/23/03 9:27 AM
KimChee43, I have friends who are involved in the Fox Valley DANK (German) club and travel to all the Octoberfests in the midwest with their German dj business. They like Bavaria Hof 933 S. Roselle Road in Schaumburg, Il. I have gone there once with them and the food is pretty authentic. I seem to remember it being in a strip near Golf but at the time there was much construction in the area (3yrs ago) and I got a little lost. BTW, the club had just held their Octoberfest 2 weekends ago on Randall Road in South Elgin, I hope you went.

Bushie
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Tue, 09/23/03 9:40 AM
Here's an Oktoberfest I used to attend when I lived in Missouri. (I doubt you'll be coming down to Texas as I mentioned above. ) Hermann, MO, has a number of restaurants, though frankly, I don't remember a whole lot about the food. The Fest sure was fun, though!

http://www.hermannmo.com/

mek
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Tue, 09/23/03 11:27 AM
KimChee43-
Indeed, where have they gone? Puzzling, especially when the largest ethnic group in America is German-Americans (26%).
If you are ever in Hagerstown, Md., you must go to Schmankerl Stube. They do a magnificent job.
www.schmankerlstube.com

Baltimore will celebrate its annual Oktoberfest at the 5th Regimant Armory.
http://www.md-germans.org/oktoberfstempty.htm

Zum Wohl !
mek

4fish
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Wed, 09/24/03 12:49 PM
KimChee43, here's one you might try on that weekend roadtrip.

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/articles/2003/09/21/food/00laxfud.txt

I haven't been there myself yet but an acquaintance who's a native of Germany tried it and said it was good. The "town" of Victory is no more than a wide spot in the road but there are lots of bed and breakfasts in towns along Highway 35 and plenty of hotels in La Crosse.

It is a bit of a hike from the Chicago area, but my brother lives in Wheaton and likes driving up the Great River Road when he comes to visit. Much more fun than Interstate 90, particularly when he used to drive a convertible!

Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Thu, 09/25/03 1:41 AM
Best German restaurant I've ever been in is the Student Prince in West Springfield, MA. Totally worth the trip, but then, for us, the trip is only about 80 miles.

My wife (who as it happens was born in Germany) thinks that the reason there are so many fewer German restaurants now is that as an immigrant population, Germans are fairly well-assimilated now in a way that, say, Thais and Brazilians aren't yet. (There are something like half a dozen EACH Thai and Brazilian restaurants in my immediate neighborhood.) As a result, there's less impetus for the connection to home that a restaurant represents.

KimChee43
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Thu, 09/25/03 1:01 PM
I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this topic so far!You guys are the greatest. My husband is the primary driver in the family. He prefers a road trip no more than several hours from home; however, we do travel a lot, so it's nice to know of German restaurants in other parts of the country.

We like Eastern European food, too. There used to be a place near us that specialized in roast duck. The family came from Czechoslovakia, if I'm not mistaken. The grandma made the ducks using a wood-burning stove for many years. All of the side dishes, including the rolls and muffins, were made from scratch. When they updated the kitchen, a commercial stove/oven was put in, and I remember a newspaper article where the grandma said that all this "new technology" was hard for her. She missed her wood-burning stove. After she died, her son took over. The food slipped a bit. Then, HE died, and HIS son let the place go. It's been gone for some years, but I sure do miss that duck. Sorry to be off topic...just reminiscing...anybody know where they serve a mean roast duck?

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Thu, 09/25/03 1:47 PM
hey kim, the bohemian cafe is one of the stern's favorites(and mine too!). Duck is one of their signature dishes. Omaha is a neat town ,home of my wife, and just the right distance from you for a weekend trip. The Zoo has a GREAT tropical rainforest. The Czech embassy thing I just found by accident, but add your picks to their list as you find them.
http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=458
http://www.mzv.cz/washington/general/restaurants.htm

bill

kland01s
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Thu, 09/25/03 1:57 PM
KimChee, was the the Bohemia Inn that was on Rte. 47 north of Lily Lake? I used to love going there, in the summer you would see the Grandmother out in the garden, cutting herbs.

KimChee43
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Thu, 09/25/03 3:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by kland01s

KimChee, was the the Bohemia Inn that was on Rte. 47 north of Lily Lake? I used to love going there, in the summer you would see the Grandmother out in the garden, cutting herbs.

KLAND01S: Yes! It's been closed for a number of years now. The Grandmother, of course, has been dead for some years; likewise, her son. We used to patronize the restaurant up until her son died, even though the kitchen was very inconsistent. After her grandson took over the business (I think he was pretty young; maybe late 20s), they arrested him for murder. Of course, the restaurant was shut down then. He was later convicted, even though the police never found the body. (Or maybe they found parts of it. I don't remember. It's been a while.) Do you remember reading about that in the newspapers?

kland01s
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Fri, 09/26/03 9:03 AM
Yes, I do remember, I had forgotten about that. They tried a restaurant with a wild game theme for awhile, The Serengeti I believe. Never went there. There was also The Golden Pheasant that I think was German based food. It was on Rte. 25 north of St. Charles and again, it was a case of the parents, who originally started the place, dying and the kids not wanting to be in the business. I seem to remember they had pretty good food, we used to hold company lunches there.

KimChee43
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Fri, 09/26/03 9:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by kland01s

Yes, I do remember, I had forgotten about that. They tried a restaurant with a wild game theme for awhile, The Serengeti I believe. Never went there. There was also The Golden Pheasant that I think was German based food. It was on Rte. 25 north of St. Charles and again, it was a case of the parents, who originally started the place, dying and the kids not wanting to be in the business. I seem to remember they had pretty good food, we used to hold company lunches there.

KLAND01S: I remember reading in the newspaper about the couple who bought the Bohemia and turned it into a place featuring exotic game entrees. They also remodeled the motel attached to that place. We never ate there, though. I wonder if the new owners ever made a go of it.

Yes, I recall "Mack's Silver Pheasant" on Route 25 north of St. Charles. There is a "Mack's Golden Pheasant" on North Avenue, I think. We pass it on the way to Hamburger Heaven in Elmhurst. We've never been there though. I wonder if the food is any good.

By the way, do you remember "The Milk Pail" in Elgin during the good old days when it was surrounded by some woods? They raised their own trout, pheasant, and so on...they had their own bakery (everybody loved the cinnamon rolls). Neat little shops, too. You couldn't get in the place on weekends, because it was packed. The food was always good. Then, it was sold to some "businessmen" who basically trashed the restaurant in favor of turning the place into an "outlet mall" and "miniature golf haven" . They tore out most of the trees. We ate there once after the new owners took over. The food was horrid. Never went back. Every time I pass the place, I sigh.

kland01s
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Fri, 09/26/03 11:15 AM
Loved the Milk Pail! In it's day it was THE place to go to impress. The food was very good, they had the game farm and a shop where you could buy turkeys, ducks, trout etc. The last I ate there was for Sunday brunch 2 years ago. Nothing special and it certainly isn't the same as it was long ago. BTW, I worked for the Dundee post office during the holidays in the 1960's when I was in college, I always dreaded getting stuck doing the shipping for the Milk Pail, all those frozen turkeys and such....scarry!

You are right, it was the Silver Pheasant.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15059
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Fri, 09/26/03 12:39 PM
Let me add a recommendation for a Czech Restaurant in Westmont IL...The Bohemian Crystal We have dined there several times when visiting family in the Chicago area. Here is a review of the place from a Chicago TV Food reporter.
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/ward/010402_ward_BohemianCrystal.html

Hope that contributes to a nice dinner for Y'all.

AL

KimChee43
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Fri, 09/26/03 1:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Let me add a recommendation for a Czech Restaurant in Westmont IL...The Bohemian Crystal We have dined there several times when visiting family in the Chicago area. Here is a review of the place from a Chicago TV Food reporter.
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/ward/010402_ward_BohemianCrystal.html

Hope that contributes to a nice dinner for Y'all.

AL

Thank you so much for the recommendation, Mr. Mayor!

kland01s
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Fri, 09/26/03 1:04 PM
Thanks for that mention Mr. Mayor. I went to a wedding reception there and it was the most awesome food I ever had at a wedding! Pasteries were served instead of wedding cake and were decadent. This was the wedding of a man who worked for me, he is Czech and had only been here 3 years, his wife is Lithuanian and had only been in the US 2 years so for them to select this place for their wedding, you can tell it is very authentic. BTW, I was the only person there who spoke English only, I did a lot of nodding, smiling and enjoying the food!

thejab
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Fri, 09/26/03 8:36 PM
On a recent road trip from Chicago to California we stopped at the Rathskeller in Rockford IL. I thought the food was great. I had the sausage assortment - some of the sausages were housemade and some were from a local sausage factory. The sides were good, especially the Lyonnaise potatoes, potatoes and onions fried in an iron skillet. In the upstairs is a bar and deli and in the basement is the restaurant. It's been there since 1931 and it's located at 1132 Auburn Street.

I took a picture of the sign. [img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3d730b3127cce8e18b1c6f8e90000001610[/img]

cooper
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Sat, 09/27/03 4:24 PM
Berghoff's in downtown Chicago has some great meals. Whenever we are in the area it is a required stop. Great food and bread is sensational. Beer isn't bad either.

cooper
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Sat, 09/27/03 4:26 PM
Just recently visited an Oktoberfest in the area and it was wall to wall people. I can't understand why so many German restaurants were forced to close due to lack of business.

Ort. Carlton.
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Sat, 09/27/03 6:54 PM
Dearfolk,
How about the late, lamented Kolb's Rastaurant (Est. 1899) in New Orleans? - Or does any self-respecting New Orleanean lament the passing of Kolb's? It might be like mourning the closing of the old Falstaff Brewery on Gravier Street....
Wonderingly, Ort. Carlton in UnGermanly Athens, Georgia.

jennycola
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Tue, 09/30/03 2:27 PM
We went to a fine German restaurant in Appleton, Wisconsin, on the main street (College Avenue), named Old Bavarian. Good selection of meals, great sauerkraut & bratwurst soup, sausages, etc. I could easily see a fun trip in that area for the fall color!

chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Tue, 09/30/03 4:15 PM
Don't laugh at me but I have a question to ask. What is a real German restaurant. We are on our third au pair from Germany and they laughed at the two German restaurants that I took them to. They claimed they were Bavarian and not German. Also, none of them had ever had German potato salad........what gives?

All I can think is that different parts of Germany have different foods just like in the USA or maybe I am wrong.

jpatweb
  • Total Posts : 232
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Tue, 09/30/03 5:25 PM
That would be true. Foods preferences, as well as dialects, vary in Germany. But here, most German restaurants seem to feature the hearty foods of the south. Perhaps in another era, when the U.S. had many more German restaurants than it does now, other German cooking styles could be found here.

Not sure about the potato salad thing. Maybe that was created by German-Americans.

quote:
Originally posted by chezkatie

All I can think is that different parts of Germany have different foods just like in the USA or maybe I am wrong.

Vince Macek
  • Total Posts : 855
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Tue, 09/30/03 7:26 PM
In my head I keep hearing the Kingston Trio singing that title...

Down here down south, German restaurants are few & far between - of course, about an hour north of Atlanta is the little town of Helen which, a couple decades ago, decided en masse to go Tyrolean. It's a lot like finding yourself in Disney's 'Pinocchio', or getting your head stuck in a cuckoo clock, but it sure packs in the tourists.

I only ate there once several years ago, after a long day out with a hiking group. Pleasant enough, but I don't remember much; I was tired out & ready to do a face plant in my sauerbraten.

marberthenad
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Mon, 11/10/03 7:57 AM
quote:
Originally posted by chezkatie

Don't laugh at me but I have a question to ask. What is a real German restaurant. We are on our third au pair from Germany and they laughed at the two German restaurants that I took them to. They claimed they were Bavarian and not German. Also, none of them had ever had German potato salad........what gives?

That's right. German food has strong regional differences. The north is much more seafood oriented. Bavarian is what many people think of as German food, due mainly to the Oktoberfest connection. Then there's German food outside of Germany, in places like Austria, Switzerland, Czechoslovakia, France and Belgium.

For every German cuisine, there is a German beer.

PS - Just got back from Vegas, where I dined in at Munich's Oktoberfest. The owners are just putting the finishing touches on an exact replica of the Hofbrauhaus in Munich, which, I guess, will feature Oktoberfest every day of the year. Looks great, and a cab driver told me that the even the Bavarian government is putting money into this project! If it is an exact replica, the food should be pretty good ... It's at http://www.hofbrauhauslasvegas.com/

Spudnut
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Mon, 11/10/03 8:43 AM
The Yorkville area of Manhattan -- upper 80s and low 90s on the East Side -- still has German restaurants, such as the Old Heidleberg (can't find the exact address and am not in a place where I can get it, but I'll guess it's around 89th and 1st). Not my kind of food, so I can't vouch for its quality. But, it's been around "forever."

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Mon, 11/10/03 10:26 AM
The Old Heidelburg was a noxious tourist trap many years ago. If it still exists I'll bet it's still a noxious tourists trap. The good old days of German Yorkville are long gone, as are most of the German oriented communities that used to have such great food- heavy on the sauces , lots of meat and starch and always good beer....

scbuzz
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Mon, 11/10/03 10:51 AM
I know nutthink !!! I did not take zhem !!!!

*doing my best schultz imitation*

SharonTriv
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Sat, 11/15/03 1:36 PM
Don't care where the German restaurants may have gone--do care about their bakeries and breweries, however.

Heatherb
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Sun, 11/16/03 10:50 AM
KimChee - try Mader's 1037 N. Old World Third St., Milwaukee, WI; Tel. 414.271.3377.

I am from Boston, MA and was in Milwaukee for a bowling tournament.
We discovered this restaurant and were very pleasantly pleased.

There used to be a great german restaurant in Gambridge, MA right near Harvard College called The Wurst House - I am very unhappy that it closed.

If you are anywhere near Milwaukee try Mader's - let us know what you think.

MFKFinch
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Sun, 11/16/03 11:27 AM
How about a road trip to Peoria? The Hofbrau has always been fun. Small and crowded and loud, but wonderful!! Great selection of food and beer and wine.

Billfish
  • Total Posts : 397
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Sun, 11/16/03 4:21 PM
I think I went to the WurstHaus in Cambridge once,aw it must have been in the mid 70s.Seems like I recall they advertised they sold 100 different beers,and they had a cool copper bar.Very nice place,and this was way before the mini-brewery designer beer boom,and before a lot of the foreign beers had any kind of organized US distribution.Actually though I didnt eat anything there.
I do remember one German place in Bedford NH,the Drygala Hofbrau,I think it was all you can eat,long tables where you sat with whoever,there was a polka band,and drinking contests (sure wont see that anymore),and everybody played the spoons and sang "Schnitzelbank".I did eat at this place and remember they had good schnitzel and sauerbraten,it was not like a place you went before your evening out,it was an evenings entertainment.I am sure its long gone.
Bill
Georgetown DE

Roy
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Thu, 11/20/03 4:47 PM
I can't tell you where to go to get good German food but I can tell you where not to go....Connecticut. A vast wasteland for anything authentic. I think part of the problem here is the unavailability of the stern Teutonic waitresses who used to make the German dining experience so memorable.

marberthenad
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Thu, 11/20/03 9:20 PM
Just remembered Hallo Berlin located on the West Side of Manhattan. They used to be in a dumpy little place at 9th and 52, but have since moved to larger and fancier digs on 10th or 11th avenue. The cook was the scariest cook I have ever seen, but the food was really good. The "wurst" haus in New York ... they also have a sausage cart on the East side as well as a restaurant in upstate New York. German soul food ... mmmmm. Affordable too. Great beers.

jamesozzello
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Fri, 11/21/03 9:05 PM
amanna colonies,iowa

JimInKy
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Fri, 11/21/03 11:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by SharonTriv

Don't care where the German restaurants may have gone--do care about their bakeries and breweries, however.

It would be a sin not to tell you about Guglhupf Bakery and Patisserie in Durham. This is a genuine German and European bakery run by a German couple. On their Web site are links to articles that tell their fascinating story, and the site has photos of all the baked goods, including the creme puffs that I still dream about. I imagine I'll always make time to stop there on future trips through that area. The Web site address: www.guglhupf.com

I last ate baked goods from Guglhupf in August 2003 and everything was excellent. My Durham friend tells me they remodeled this fall, adding a nice cafe to the bakery.

Theedge
  • Total Posts : 1196
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Wed, 11/26/03 11:30 AM
Our family gets together this time of yea to make our own vurst. We use 1/2 ground beef, 1/2 ground pork some salt pepper and coriander. Mix it all up and stuff it in real casings. We put it in the smoker for about 15 minutes, then wrap and freeze it. I like to pan fry mine and serve it with a side of kraut and stone ground mustard. My other side is usually egg dumpling drenched in sautéed onions. Nothing like it when it's 20 below, comfort food!

Hillbilly
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Tue, 12/2/03 9:55 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Heatherb

KimChee - try Mader's 1037 N. Old World Third St., Milwaukee, WI; Tel. 414.271.3377.

I am from Boston, MA and was in Milwaukee for a bowling tournament.
We discovered this restaurant and were very pleasantly pleased.

There used to be a great german restaurant in Gambridge, MA right near Harvard College called The Wurst House - I am very unhappy that it closed.

If you are anywhere near Milwaukee try Mader's - let us know what you think.

We went to Mader's Sunday night, and we (my wife & I along with our New Yorker son and his girlfriend) were all very pleased with the experience. My wife and I haven't eaten at enough German restaurants to make any comparisons, but the girlfriend is from Latvia and said that it compares favorably with other German restaurants where she has eaten, even those in Germany. I just know the food was excellent, even if I don't have a point of comparison.

I do know that the servings were very generous (one serving would easily be enough for 2 people), and the presentaion was outstanding. We are notorious tasters, and we order different entrees and share them around the table. We had
An excellent sampler of Rhine Sauerbraten, Wiener Schnitzel, Kassler Rippchen (baked ham), potato dumpling, sauerkraut and Bavarian red cabbage
Pork shank with an apple demi glaze served with sauerkraut and red potatoes
Beef tenderloin stuffed with smoked bacon carmelized onions, shaved pickles and german mustard served with sauteed spinach over spaetzel
Usingers grilled bratwurst and simmered knockwurst in sauerkraut served with a slice of Kasseler rippchen and a potato dumpling. Since the restaurant is directly across the street from the Usingers plant, this one was a must, and boy, was it ever good

After this feast, and some varieties of beer and ale (this is Milwaukee, after all), there was no room for anything else.
Our guests have returned to New York, but my wife and I will definitely return to Mader's.

marberthenad
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Fri, 12/5/03 9:00 PM
Anyone ever eaten German food in Frankenmuth, MI? Are there good places?

marberthenad
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Fri, 01/2/04 10:57 AM
Ok, another question to any capital-area Germanophiles. Looking for good German restaurants in the DC area. Any suggestions?

i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Fri, 01/2/04 11:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by mek

KimChee43-
Indeed, where have they gone? Puzzling, especially when the largest ethnic group in America is German-Americans (26%).
If you are ever in Hagerstown, Md., you must go to Schmankerl Stube. They do a magnificent job.
www.schmankerlstube.com

Baltimore will celebrate its annual Oktoberfest at the 5th Regimant Armory.
http://www.md-germans.org/oktoberfstempty.htm

Zum Wohl !
mek

Hey, mek, I've been meaning to check-out Schmankerl Stube (www.schmankerlstube.com) as I'm less than an hour from Hagerstown. What did you have there? In addition, is there a better time to go (i.e. upcoming events, brunch options, weekend dining, etc.)? Also, do they have German beers on tap?

Lastly, what about kids going to "the Stube"? Would you recommend such -- or is this a husband-wife (only) venue?

Thanks!

i95
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Fri, 01/2/04 11:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by marberthenad

Ok, another question to any capital-area Germanophiles. Looking for good German restaurants in the DC area. Any suggestions?

Look no further than NW, Washington, DC's famed Old Europe restaurant, marbertnehad. You can see the Washingtonian magazine's review of same at:

http://www.washingtonian.com/dining/restaurantDetail.asp?id=155

Hagerstown, Maryland's Schmankerl Stube restaurant (see above) is also an option and is about 70 miles west of the nation's capital, FYI.

Route 11
  • Total Posts : 752
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Fri, 01/2/04 1:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by i95

quote:

Look no further than NW, Washington, DC's famed Old Europe restaurant, marbertnehad. You can see the Washingtonian magazine's review of same at:

Don't forget the famous Bavarian Chef, down Rt.29 in the town of Madison, VA. They keep odd hours so check before you go. Good stuff though! My German relatives loved it.

Hagerstown, Maryland's Schmankerl Stube restaurant (see above) is also an option and is about 70 miles west of the nation's capital, FYI.

marberthenad
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Mon, 01/5/04 9:09 PM
great suggestion. thanks!
quote:
Originally posted by i95

quote:

Rex
  • Total Posts : 109
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Fri, 01/23/04 2:36 PM
This is funny that I saw this post. Haven't been here in awhile and was coming in today to ask about a recipe...something I had at a German Restaurant about 6-7 years ago.

I was at a little place called the "Swiss Inn" in Georgetown, Colorado It is a german restaurant with a motel attached. Little family owned hole in the wall. (Those usually are the best ones anyway). But they served something after the meal that they called "Spiced Wine". Now the owner wasn't going to tell me much about what went in it. Although from the taste it was obvious what the main ingredients were: Burgundy Wine, Cinnamon, Nutmeg. But the trick was the recreation of it with the proper amounts. Does anyone know how to make this? I have tried...but let's just say....I ain't gettin it...lol

But to Kimchee....on the german restaurant post. I traveled back and forth across the country a few times...and always take a particular route when I go. Dickinson, North Dakota - Germany West, USA. Had to stop over there once to have a tire fixed on my travel trailer. Very nice people, very german, but couldn't tell you if they had any good restaurants...didn't have time to stop for food.

However, I have eaten at a few Mr Dunderbak's in various malls that I have been to

Wish I could be more help.

KimChee43
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Fri, 01/23/04 3:00 PM
REX: I'm wondering if that spiced wine isn't something called "Gluhwein"? If you have a German cookbook handy, there's probably a recipe for it.

My thanks to all of you who have posted to this topic! Keep those suggestions coming. What a great bunch of folks you all are!

chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Fri, 01/23/04 3:47 PM
I did a YAHOO search and found this.........sounds good.....just right for a cold winter's night (like this one is going to be)
Gluhwein

1 bottle of red table wine
1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
2 whole cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
lemon and orange peel

Boil all ingredients together except the wine and reduce by half.
Strain and add the wine.
Bring the mixture almost to the boiling point.
Serve hot.
Enjoy with lots of friends.

renfrew
  • Total Posts : 696
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Fri, 01/23/04 3:48 PM
anyone remember Edelweiss in West Hartford Ct.? Great place with an exceelent staff and food. Guy closed up about 6 years ago after 30 in the business...I really miss that place.

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Fri, 01/23/04 4:09 PM
The best German restaurant in this part of PA recently closed. It was the Normal Square Inn in the village of Normal Square. Wonderful veal dishes, chicken livers with a creamy mushroom gravy over spaetzle, and those old-timey glasses filled with crushed ice, carrot sticks, celery hearts and olives on the table as soon as you were seated. (I always thought they used to look like the oversized goblets that were fraternity formal favors many years ago.)

The restaurant was in an old country hotel and when the owner wanted to retire and sell it, it would have taken so much money to bring it up to code that he had no takers for it.

efuery
  • Total Posts : 630
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Fri, 01/23/04 4:13 PM
I remember Eidelweiss, although I never ate there. When hankering for German in New England the only place to go is the Student Prince on Fort St in Springfield Mass. Great food, Beer and atmosphere (HUGE stein collection). The house salad dressing is a must (Loaded with roquefort cheese). In February they have a game menu that features bear, venison, eland (antelope), bison, ostrich amd sometimes elk. ooh man I'm drooling now - just one week to go!

i95
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Fri, 01/23/04 4:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Rex

But they served something after the meal that they called "Spiced Wine". Now the owner wasn't going to tell me much about what went in it. Although from the taste it was obvious what the main ingredients were: Burgundy Wine, Cinnamon, Nutmeg. But the trick was the recreation of it with the proper amounts. Does anyone know how to make this?

Rex, although not German, your drink also sounds darn close to the warm wine Scandinavian drink appropriately called Glog. (Scandinavians...Germans...where all just blonde-loving, sauna-lounging creatures when you come down to it).

Glog is made via a "potion" of red wine, vodka or aquavit (keep the open flames away from that last one folks), cloves, cardamom, orange zest and then cinnamon sticks, almonds slices and raisins floating around the whole thing just to keep the kids away. If this is what you want, let me know as there are numerous recipes for this drink guaranteed to both: keep you warm during the frigid, Scandinavian winters; as well as forget all your troubles, your car, where you live and your kids names.

Ralph Isbill
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? - Fri, 01/23/04 4:46 PM
We have a great German Restaurant in Choctaw Oklahoma.

Old Germany Restaurant -
15920 SE 29th Street
Choctaw, OK 73020
Phone: 405-390-8647
Fax: 405-390-1647
mike@oldgermany.com
http://www.oldgermany.com
Cozy chalet style building with a distinct German atmosphere. We serve German, Deutsch, Rheingau Regional, German Old World Style and Oktoberfest cuisine, German beers and wines. Entrees include: Wiener Schnitzel, Jager Schnitzel, Sauerbraten, Bratwurst, etc.

They have been there for quite some time..Great food!

Change Page: 12345678 > | Showing page 1 of 8, messages 1 to 60 of 460