Where Have You Gone Mrs Robinson... & Others

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4530
Re:Where Have You Gone Mrs Robinson... & Others 2012/12/27 13:52:04 (permalink)
Can't understand why we can't upload pictures directly to the site.  Also, I think it would be nice if we could have a pop-up window for personal messages.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6373
Re:Where Have You Gone Mrs Robinson... & Others 2012/12/27 17:11:51 (permalink)
1bbqboy

and there's also a pursing the PTS "club" over on FB.
Whatever happened to WOT, Joe?

The Pursuing Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches was a group I set up in a mere 5 minutes on Facebook and Anthony Bourdain jumped in as a member almost immediately. It has over a thousand members for one singular sandwich found mainly in the Midwest. I sometimes wonder if that many different people have viewed the Pork Tenderloin message thread that I have religiously helped cultivate here in Roadfood.com for several years.

In answer to Joe, the reason many message forums don't have the ability to upload directly is twofold. First, most use off the shelf software developed by others. Most all use BBC code of embedding photos by URL reference as each uploaded photo somewhere has a URL page. Secondly, unless the service invested in its own network and servers, they don't have the capacity to store the numerous photos so do so by the URL referencing. There are some boards that do have direct upload to the Forum but it is still a two-step process of upload and then reference into your message. And then all the popular smartphone apps only give you the ability to upload to the popular photo housing services directly from a camera app. The Photo app on the iPhone only directly uploads to Twitter and Facebook for instance. You generally can't do it directly to forums using browser software apps like Safari on the iPhone. The smartphone camera apps are sophisticated enough to be good enough for online posting. That's why I use my iPhone now maybe 90% of the time unless I am doing serious photography work. Right now I am on a trip to Washington. DC and didn't bother to bring any of my digital cameras.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8359
Re:Where Have You Gone Mrs Robinson... & Others 2012/12/27 19:29:50 (permalink)
I am in contact with Tara(roosy) all the time. Have contact with Frank, Padre's( Rick Flynn) friend here and there. He keeps me updated on certain things.Ours was a funny and wonderful relationship, as I know he was to many of you...
Cosmos
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1449
Re:Where Have You Gone Mrs Robinson... & Others 2013/01/01 12:02:51 (permalink)
joerogo

FYI, A lot of people from this site are on Hot Dog Nation on facebook.  It is run by Benzee and John Fox.
Thanks for posting this, I just checked it out.

Cosmos
  • Total Posts : 1449
Re:Where Have You Gone Mrs Robinson... & Others 2013/01/01 12:05:42 (permalink)
Davydd

I have no shyness about posting food on Facebook and Twitter. In fact I just posted a photo of Bolivian saltenas and empanadas from a Falls Church, VA restaurant. What the problem is, is I now use my iPhone mostly for photos and it is extremely easy to post to Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instragram, Flickr and other photo sharing sites. It is difficult, comparatively, to post a photo here because it becomes a two step procedure and there is no automatic selecting of photos to add into a post. I can have a taken photo posted to Facebook or Twitter in less than a minute after taking it. With more social interaction going on with smartphones, traditional browser based message boards get skipped over.
I'm with you on this. I started a photo bucket account...er I think...to post photos here..It was a pain so I stopped...I have completely lost track of it.. Posting to FB is so easy.

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2189
Re:Where Have You Gone Mrs Robinson... & Others 2013/05/03 07:53:20 (permalink)
The reason for my infrequent appearances in the last three or four years is because spouse and I decided to try to get healthier. We didn't go on any kind of regimented diet or join a gym - just cut back on soda and alcohol, ate larger amounts of vegetables and smaller amounts of meats, fried foods and snacks -common sense stuff.

Along the way, we have lost about 75 pounds and as our tastes changed, our interest in Roadfood waned. The prospect of a massive steak or deep fried hot dog has less appeal to us than the doctors at our check-ups saying, "Just keep doing what you're doing."

We still don't eat at chains and support local restaurants if their menu items fit into our eating plan. We are really enjoying retirement with lots of new interests and projects but pursuing many of the classic Roadfood offerings has slipped way down on our To Do list.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10281
Re:Where Have You Gone Mrs Robinson... & Others 2013/05/03 08:06:40 (permalink)
I have been wondering about a poster we met a few times here at local Pittsburgh get togethers, GeoNit.  Haven't seen any sign of him in a while and he hasn't logged in since June of 2011.  George is a really nice man and hopefully eveyrthing is ok, but I fear the worst.

RubyRose-
Congratulations on the lost weight!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4012
Re:Where Have You Gone Mrs Robinson... & Others 2013/05/03 11:56:18 (permalink)
RubyRose

The reason for my infrequent appearances in the last three or four years is because spouse and I decided to try to get healthier. We didn't go on any kind of regimented diet or join a gym - just cut back on soda and alcohol, ate larger amounts of vegetables and smaller amounts of meats, fried foods and snacks -common sense stuff.

Along the way, we have lost about 75 pounds and as our tastes changed, our interest in Roadfood waned. The prospect of a massive steak or deep fried hot dog has less appeal to us than the doctors at our check-ups saying, "Just keep doing what you're doing."

We still don't eat at chains and support local restaurants if their menu items fit into our eating plan. We are really enjoying retirement with lots of new interests and projects but pursuing many of the classic Roadfood offerings has slipped way down on our To Do list.

Congrats on the weight loss. I often wonder if someone/some place would come up with a menu of items that were healthier and still satisfying like Roadfood. Right now, it isn't the same eating a protein burger at In 'n' Out. Most places have as a "healthy" thing a pice of chicken breast and a salad or two. If a place could come up with a healthy Double Double though, that would be great!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13495
Re:Where Have You Gone Mrs Robinson... & Others 2013/05/03 18:33:50 (permalink)
When I first found Roadfood I weighed about 240.  I did the Atkins thing and dropped about 50.  I have retained that weight for about 12 years.  I have not used any diet for years.  For some mysterious reason, my appetite has dramatically reduced?  Why?  I have no idea.  I use to be able to consume appetizers, large steak, baked potato, salad, several wines and dessert.  Now I cannot consume a fourth of that.  My desire for fat food is still the same, just nowhere as much.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN 
FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1669
Re:Where Have You Gone Mrs Robinson... & Others 2013/05/03 20:11:52 (permalink)
Well into almost the middle of my seventh decade on this earth(63), I find my tastebuds still crave the delights but my stomach wants to limit the amount.  More often than not, on an outing, I'll have 2-3 appetizers and that's it - despite our original intention to eat out was often dessert since many desserts are hard to make for just 2 people. ( I have been a cook and still do).  I also will be more likely to have 4-5 small meals/snacks a day at home rather than a "Big Dinner" - and almost never have a Big Breakfast AND a Big Lunch on the same day.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
Re:Where Have You Gone Mrs Robinson... & Others 2013/05/03 21:58:15 (permalink)
Maybe Roadfood is doomed to our advanced ages! I'm 66 and in the past year, I eat very little. I bought some of those half bagels and I have a half of a half for breakfast with a dab of butter. 6 months ago I could go to our local bagel place and eat a whole garlic bagel with double jalapeno cream cheese. Now I can't eat cream cheese. I haven't eaten out in a Roadfood in a place in a year. Just something plain for me, a plain steak works fine, otherwise I eat strawberries or blueberries

post edited by kland01s - 2013/05/03 22:00:39
FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1669
Re:Where Have You Gone Mrs Robinson... & Others 2013/05/03 23:24:14 (permalink)
Kland........not sure why..........but until recently, I had never gotten into Smoothies.  Take those 2 berries, add  banana.some milk and vanilla I/C.....dash of Vanilla.............and some ice cubes if you're daring! All Squashed up in a blender, topped with a bit of nutmeg, it's wonderful!  And if you are so inclined and the hour of the day is right, A healthy dose of Calico Jack Rum helps as well
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6385
Re:Where Have You Gone Mrs Robinson... & Others 2013/05/08 20:27:24 (permalink)
RubyRose

Congrats on your accomplishment, losing weight is not easy (believe I know)  It does have a curtailng effect to one's roadfooding.  :-(

I still like to enjoy it, but I can't do the amounts I used to do.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
Re:Where Have You Gone Mrs Robinson... & Others 2013/05/19 15:05:37 (permalink)
I still am able to go out but have been dropping weight. I am below 200 for the first time in 25 years. Stllll go to pal's shanty, Cameo Cafe and other places ( a new favorite is the mekong Cafe, a Cambodian slice of heaven. )Blood sugar down, taste up. Have been eating a lot of unfired seafood. Miss old friends here but I've friended so many on Facebook. Still search the site 4 the new, still use it when i travel but have found a few other sites. will be heading to Hells canyon this summer so any info on lewiston,Idaho and clarkston Washington places would be helpful. found a couple spots that look promising.
post edited by mr chips - 2013/05/19 15:08:07
agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:Where Have You Gone Mrs Robinson... & Others 2013/05/19 16:15:08 (permalink)
Well, I have really been trying hard to eat healthy during the week. On the weekend I allow myself treats if I feel like it (and I usually do! Mostly that breakfast I have with my daughter Emily before we food shop). It's not easy though, as I read through the posts on this site!
BTW, I am Mrs. Robinson, and I am right here!" />
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10250
Re:Where Have You Gone Mrs Robinson... & Others 2013/05/19 20:38:48 (permalink)
So many sites, so little time!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1