Where and what is the best meal you ever had?

Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
2009/01/24 11:09:40 (permalink)

Where and what is the best meal you ever had?

#1 In 1984 in Denver, a new restaurant opened in Downtown, I don't remember the name, in any case I ordered a plate that consisted of their homemade sausages, on lentils, with a cream sauce that came from heaven, it's been 25 years but I still remember my astonishment at it's unparalled taste and quality, my wife and I took to eating there 2-3 times a week, everything on the menu was a show stopper...damn I wish I could remember the name, if it's still there, I would fly to Denver just to eat there.

#2 The Broadmore in Colorado Springs, their not to be topped Brunch, with about 25,000 food selections all done to perfection, and for dinner their Rack of Lamb with a tableside Ceasar salad, plus incredible hashbrowns, best rack ever, mustard garlic crust, perfect Ceasar!

post edited by chewingthefat - 2009/01/24 11:11:42

27 Replies Related Threads

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8389
    Re:Where and what is the best meal you ever had? 2009/01/24 14:15:54 (permalink)
    Not that it was the best meal I had, but the best experience with wonderful food was at Lawrys in Chicago. Attendance to the client was wonderful, atmosphere was fun( old stuffy booths)and the prime rib was excellent.My Dad recommened it and I had a great time. I then went on to see a performance of Phantom of the opera-and after that a visit to Harry Careys. Truly a memorable eveing.And then the doggy bag at 2 a.m.-Bone-in prime rib, cold, with a bit of salt and pepper.Wonderful!
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    Re:Where and what is the best meal you ever had? 2009/01/24 14:18:06 (permalink)
    For my 60th birthday my 87 year old, former chef mother, invited a number of my old friends and their wives.  There were a total of 12 folks around the table when she came in from the kitchen with a crown roast of pork------in the center of which were brussels sprouts---- and around which were browned potatoes. (Sorry no pics.)

It was fantastic---done to a turn and followed up by her famous apple pie a la mode. 

Not bad for a single old lady (no help needed or wanted) in a tiny kitchen----

Absolutely my favorite dinner of all time made by my favorite mother. 

Second was filet mignon at the Blue Ribbon, just off Times Square In NYCity with Gerry Reese as my favorite guest.
    Circa 1949.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18493
    Re:Where and what is the best meal you ever had? 2009/01/24 14:37:05 (permalink)
    I could not begin to try choosing a best meal because I've had so many wonderful ones. But I can pick an eye-opening meal -- one that led me to learn to love well-prepared food.

I was just a little boy and my mother and I were visiting her sister and her sister's husband who was an officer stationed at Camp Shelby in Mississippi.

The last weekend were were going to be there before taking the train back to Connecticut we went to New Orleans, and we had dinner one evening at Antoine's.

The waiter, after we were seated asked where we were from and when my mother told him we were from New Haven, he grabbed the menus from us, said he used to work at the Taft Hotel there, and asked whether we wanted chicken or fish.

I opted for fish, and that was my introduction to really, really good food. When dinner was served my dish was Pompano en Papillote (a dish I learned about 100 years later was created at Antoine's by Jules Alciatore.

That did it for me, and from then on I loved learning about foods and trying new things. (Anything, I suppose, to keep from having to eat my mother's cooking. By the way, she hated the food at Antoines because it wasn't cooked right.)

Another wonderful thing about that trip and food was my discoverey aboard the train, The Southerner, on the way home of something called corned beef hash. I'd never heard of it before, and that was as wonderful an event as my (forgive, please, my appropriation of the title of Frances Parkinson  Keyes' mystery novel) Dinner at Antoines.
    Space
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 78
    Re:Where and what is the best meal you ever had? 2009/01/24 14:59:19 (permalink)
    I'm kind of like Michael in the sense that it's tough to choose THE best meal I've ever had.  One of the best that I immediately thought of was one I had about six or seven years ago.

My grandparents on both sides of my family passed away either before I was born or when I was younger, so I never really got to know them.  When my family was uprooted to the Florida Gulf coast 25 years ago, I sort of adopted my best friend's grandparents...an old school couple that lived in the village of Cortez just south of Tampa Bay.  Those of you who have been to the Bradenton/Sarasota area know exactly where it is.  The last meal I can remember having at their house was pan fried catfish, cheesy grits, collard greens, and Pillsbury biscuits from those exploding tubes.  There wasn't anything really out of the ordiary, but it just stands out to me because while I'm a family member, I was damn sure treated like one.
    jaylhorner
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 433
    Re:Where and what is the best meal you ever had? 2009/01/24 15:02:08 (permalink)
    I've had a couple of memorable meals at Daniel in NYC.
    Basement Bistro in Earlton, NY, was fabulous!

LindaW
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 338
    Re:Where and what is the best meal you ever had? 2009/01/24 15:27:30 (permalink)
    many many memories...and some may be because of the company in attendance...but
    Peter Luger's 25 years ago
    Inn at Erlowest  when Dale Miller was chef (can't wait for his new restaurant to open)
    Jahn's in Richmond Hill
    Janos (Tucson)
    Greek food in Chicago
    Korean food in Seoul
    Joe's Stone Crabs
    Onion soup at Ronnie Alpert's on Long Island
    Al Steiner's
    Old Homestead

jaylhorner
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 433
    Re:Where and what is the best meal you ever had? 2009/01/24 15:50:12 (permalink)
    LindaW

many many memories...and some may be because of the company in attendance...but
    Peter Luger's 25 years ago
    Inn at Erlowest  when Dale Miller was chef (can't wait for his new restaurant to open)
    Jahn's in Richmond Hill
    Janos (Tucson)
    Greek food in Chicago
    Korean food in Seoul
    Joe's Stone Crabs
    Onion soup at Ronnie Alpert's on Long Island
    Al Steiner's
    Old Homestead

You brought back some more memories,..  Joe's Stone Crabs and Inn at Eelowest.

mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:Where and what is the best meal you ever had? 2009/01/24 15:55:31 (permalink)
    Trudy and I had Oysters Mosca at Mosca's near new orleans. The heady combination of atmosphere and food were among the best experiences of our life together,
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15286
    Re:Where and what is the best meal you ever had? 2009/01/24 16:34:55 (permalink)
    My parents did include us kids when they dined out fairly frequently, so as a kid I learned which fork to use etc etc. In 1955 Mother took my siser and I to visit my grandparents in Michigan (by train). This was an annual trip, but instead of the usual LA-Chicago-Detroit round-trip, she decided we would do a very "Round Trip". We traveled from L A to New Orleans, then to Atlanta, Cincinnati and finally arrived a Detroit. On the way home we did the Detroit-Chicago-San Francisco-LA route.
    It was a real adventure for me, thats for sure. It also put in context my childhood introduction to ANTOINES in New Orleans. I don't recall the appetizer, but I do recall the Shrimp in sauce (a creole, I think) and especially the Cherries Jubilee for dessert! I have enjoyed many wonderful meals since, but the spirit of adventure of that stop in New Orleans in 1955 lives in my "Roadfood Heart"!

Thanks To Michael Hoffman for triggering those memories!
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    Re:Where and what is the best meal you ever had? 2009/01/24 16:45:17 (permalink)
    For my wife, I'd have to say Merriman's on the Big Island?
    A close second might be Primo in Rockland, ME

For me, The Sam Pan in Brooklyn on Avenue U (It's gone)
    A close second - it's a tie between The China Quarter in Tenafly, NJ (It's gone)  and Hing's China Inn, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (It's gone)
    post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/01/24 16:47:02
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    Re:Where and what is the best meal you ever had? 2009/01/26 01:55:41 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
       Eliminating my late mother's home cooking, I would have two thoughts. First was a filet mignon I once had at the Majestic Food Shop on Ponce de Leon Avenue in Atlanta. It was selected for me and cooked by Nick Bitzis, who was then the best steak and chop cook in Atlanta. It was medium rare and perfect: I cried as I ate it: it was THAT good! -- And I don't usually go for filet mignon!
       My other thought is a sauce I had at a small Mexican restaurant that, oddly enough, was also on Ponce de Leon in Atlanta, but closer to town. I can't remember the name of the place, but the folks were from Guanajuato State in Mexico, and this sauce was almost grey in color and limpid (it looked insipid, really!) and all at once it was sweet, hot, sour, and bitter... in PERFECT balance! I've never had anything else even remotely like it. I ate at that place every chance I had (and plenty of others, too!) until suddenly one evening I went by and the place was shuttered... no sign, no nothing. Sigh. Bye bye, World's Greatest Sauce.
          Nowsalivatingly Most Nostalgically, Ort. Carlton in Saucy Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. Two of the ingredients in that sauce were tomatoes and cactus... that's all I remember. Oh -- and garlic.
    post edited by Ort. Carlton. - 2009/01/26 01:57:20
    claracamille
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 434
    Re:Where and what is the best meal you ever had? 2009/01/26 07:37:29 (permalink)
    Time: From 1947(the year I was born) to 1970
    Place: My grandparents dairy farm in West Virginia
    Meal:  Sunday dinner after church

Menu:
    Fried chicken & gravy( freshly killed that morning, freshly killed chicken is the best!!)
    Creamed peas & new potatoes(peas picked after church)
    Southern style green beans(canned last summer)
    Creamed corn(frozen form last summer)
    Wilted lettuce(lettuce picked that morning)
    pickles & pickled beets(canned last summer)
    Yeast rolls( the best I have ever tasted!!!)
    Blackberry,grape jelly, strawberry,peach, gooseberry preserves
    Strawberry shortcake/ whipped cream

Every meal my grandmother made was outstanding.  Everything came from the farm, either fresh or canned or frozen from the previous summer.  I am so blessed to have such a great culinary heritage.  Today, I include my grandmother's & my mother's recipes in my cooking & now my daughter & daughter-in-laws also use the same recipes. 

jeepguy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1555
    Re:Where and what is the best meal you ever had? 2009/01/26 08:29:10 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

I could not begin to try choosing a best meal because I've had so many wonderful ones. But I can pick an eye-opening meal -- one that led me to learn to love well-prepared food.

I was just a little boy and my mother and I were visiting her sister and her sister's husband who was an officer stationed at Camp Shelby in Mississippi.

The last weekend were were going to be there before taking the train back to Connecticut we went to New Orleans, and we had dinner one evening at Antoine's.

The waiter, after we were seated asked where we were from and when my mother told him we were from New Haven, he grabbed the menus from us, said he used to work at the Taft Hotel there, and asked whether we wanted chicken or fish.

I opted for fish, and that was my introduction to really, really good food. When dinner was served my dish was Pompano en Papillote (a dish I learned about 100 years later was created at Antoine's by Jules Alciatore.

That did it for me, and from then on I loved learning about foods and trying new things. (Anything, I suppose, to keep from having to eat my mother's cooking. By the way, she hated the food at Antoines because it wasn't cooked right.)

Another wonderful thing about that trip and food was my discoverey aboard the train, The Southerner, on the way home of something called corned beef hash. I'd never heard of it before, and that was as wonderful an event as my (forgive, please, my appropriation of the title of Frances Parkinson  Keyes' mystery novel) Dinner at Antoines.

So it's been Waffle House ever since?" />
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Where and what is the best meal you ever had? 2009/01/26 09:18:11 (permalink)
    Boy, claracamille, you sure now how to trigger wonderful childhood memories. Your post brought back visions of the delicious meals prepared by my grandmother in North Carolina when I was a kid. Virtually everything was homemade; I'll never forget the cobbler she made one summer from wild blackberries that my brother and I picked ( the dough was from scratch too. ) My mother was also a fantastic cook. She learned a great deal from my NC grandmother, who was on Dad's side of the family, plus from her own family members in the hills of eastern Kentucky. Whenever Mom made one of her perfect pot roasts, she used the drippings to make a pale-gray gravy that was so good, I could have drank it out of a glass. Both of these wonderful ladies are long gone, and I dearly miss them. 
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18493
    Re:Where and what is the best meal you ever had? 2009/01/26 11:35:07 (permalink)
    jeepguy

]

So it's been Waffle House ever since?" />

Pretty much.

AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    Re:Where and what is the best meal you ever had? 2009/01/26 12:39:57 (permalink)
                  It's impossible for me to pick just one, but meals at my grandparents'  in Germany stand out.  My grandparents had a huge garden so there were always fresh tomatoes and salads.  My grandmother's schnitzels and homemade spaetzle with gravy were outstanding.
                 At home, mom's Atlanta pork chops, city chicken,  and this potato dish she made which involved a whole potato being filled with a mixture of tiny shrimp and fish and being served with the skin still on the potato all stand out.

Re dining out:

LexItalia (great but defunct Italian restaurant in Lexington, KY --- best spaghetti and meatballs ever)

Nipper's on Guana Cay in Abaco (the Sunday pork roast meal is great)

The fish fry area in Nassau, Bahamas --- all the wonderful cracked conch, fresh conch salad, Bahamian peas 'n rice, Bahamian Mac 'n Cheese --- wonderful.

Impossible to pick a "best", but those are all up there!

Andrea
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2980
    Re:Where and what is the best meal you ever had? 2009/01/26 12:55:11 (permalink)
    Brown's Beach House, at the Fairmont Orchid on the Big Island. I honestly don't know the name of anything I ate; all I remember was taking small bites and savoring every one, thinking to myself, "Remember this."

It was also the most expensive meal I ever had. And the best value. As we ate, the sun set over the water; here is the view from our table.

post edited by Mosca - 2009/01/27 11:42:26
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Where and what is the best meal you ever had? 2009/01/26 17:08:26 (permalink)
    It just occured to me that the dinner I had at the famous "Inn at Little Washington" was truely incredible, so much so that I can't remember a damn thing I had, all I know is that it was fabulous, so was the tab!
    Singeli
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re:Where and what is the best meal you ever had? 2009/02/25 02:58:00 (permalink)
    Gosh. That's a hard question to answer.
    I've had great meals in many places, some whose names I can't even recall.
    A short list would include dinners at The Greenbriar in W. Virginia (roast beef); Gaido's in Galveston (soft shelled crab); The Blue Fox in San Francisco (Artichoke soup, Dover sole, and chocolate souffle); the San Jacinto Inn (all you can eat shrimp, chicken, corn on the cob, etc.), Antoine's in New Orleans (Pompano en papilotte); my introduction to spinach pasta overlooking San Marino in Italy; a grilled cheese sandwich and chocolate malt from Otis Stahl Drug in Waco, TX and something called a Spudnut (doughnut made from potato flour) from the little shop around the corner (long closed).  Like icing on a cake, that little block also included a wonderful deli with exotic delights as well as meats and cheeses shipped in from Chicago.
    However, I'd give anything to have one of my grandmother's holiday dinners again, with all the family around.  She and her maid were fabulous cooks, all out of a kitchen bare of equipment we'd consider necessities. 
    Old-fashioned even then, the kitchen was a large room with a big shelved closet for foodstuffs.  The kitchen itself had only a sink and drainboard, the stove and refrigerator, and a large wooden table, mostly used to roll out pastry.  No cabinets or counters. Those were in the Butler's Pantry between the kitchen and the dining room.
    For a typical holiday dinner, we'd have turkey and dressing, ham and sweet potatoes, cauliflower with cheese sauce that had green peas and carrots in it, avocado and grapefruit salad with her homemade, slightly spicy salad dressing.  If the group were really large, she'd add fried chilcken and rice and gravy.  Always her wonderful homemade biscuits, which we gobbled by the dozen, and cranberry sauce.  The adults would have pecan pie, but each grandchild would get an individual chocolate pie.
    To make these pies, she'd form each crust over an individual glass salad mold and bake before filling and browning the meringue.
    Besides being delicious, the food was always flavored by the happiness of our gathering, the very best seasoning of all. 
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:Where and what is the best meal you ever had? 2011/06/02 07:56:47 (permalink)

by John Mulaney
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1093
    Re:Where and what is the best meal you ever had? 2011/06/02 15:47:10 (permalink)
    i95

by John Mulaney

Now that's funny.  But all I can think about is how mad I would have been if I was one of the other customers.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    Re:Where and what is the best meal you ever had? 2011/06/02 17:08:41 (permalink)
    That was absolutely hilarious! I needed a tear inducing laugh...
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4534
    Re:Where and what is the best meal you ever had? 2011/06/02 17:59:12 (permalink)
    Lieback's Bar & Grill, Dupont, PA.  Played Blue Christmas until we were threatened with bodily harm.  

There would be silence between songs...then....I'll Have a Blue Christmas...."SON OF A BITCH...SOMEBODY UNPLUG THAT EFFIN THING OR THROW THOSE IDIOTS OUT"

The best meal I ever had was at Taverna Del Lupo, Gubbio Italy.
    post edited by joerogo - 2011/06/02 18:18:42
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4120
    Re:Where and what is the best meal you ever had? 2011/06/11 13:27:21 (permalink)
    Company, occasion, location, and food taken together:  alone with my elder daughter for her 16th. birthday at Windows on the World, 9/9/86.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4120
    Re:Where and what is the best meal you ever had? 2011/06/11 13:33:33 (permalink)
    For food alone - any of the many times here, '70's - present:

http://www.theinnatlittlewashington.com/
    plb
    • Total Posts : 1032
    Re:Where and what is the best meal you ever had? 2011/06/11 22:01:03 (permalink)
    Not at all Roadfood, Masa's in S.F. back when the guy who won on the original Iron Chef show was still the chief.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    Re:Where and what is the best meal you ever had? 2011/06/11 22:47:58 (permalink)
    Well, just had damn near the best meal in ages. I met with Jim( JRPfeff) his lovely wife Bobbie, Dale(wanderingjew)Bob and myself at Karl Ratzches German restaurant downtown Milwaukee.Sauerbraten, schnitzel, pork shank, sausages, etc, all cooked to perfection.Excellent friendly service, and plenty to take home( for me, anyway)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1