Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte??

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Chili Fan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2007/05/03 15:51:57 (permalink)

Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte??

This is driving me crazy. There used to be a guy, who had a hot dog stand set up at Circuit City (South Blvd) on the weekends. The hot dogs were killer! Now I can not find any in the city. Please, somebody clue me in on where all the hot dog stands are in Charlotte, NC. Thanks.

50 Replies Related Threads

Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte?? 2007/05/03 20:24:44 (permalink)
    I always get my Charlotte hot dogs at Green's Lunch at 309 4th street (at the corner of 4th and Poplar). My all time favorite hotdog.
    skylar0ne
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 473
    RE: Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte?? 2007/05/03 21:37:33 (permalink)
    I second the Green's Lunch rec - the hot dogs there are so good you can't eat just one. I'm not that big an eater, but when I worked on the square in uptown Charlotte, sometimes we'd walk down to Green's at lunch. I'd get two dogs all the way and an order of fries or rings, and I could eat every bite and wish I had still another dog, lol.
    Chiliman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 197
    RE: Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte?? 2007/05/04 15:09:40 (permalink)
    With all due respect to the folks at Greens. I believe that you would do well to visit the Chili Man hot dog cart at the corner of 4th and Tryon. I am out from 11-2pm on Tues., Weds., and Friday. I have been voted Best Street Vendor two years running, have been written up in the Charlotte Observer, and count the food editor of the Observer as a regular. My chili has won numerous awards including Peoples Choice two years running at the State Championships in Greensboro (which by the way is MAy 12th, e-mail if you want more info). The chili that wins awards is the exact same that I use on the dogs.

I have posted an invite to Hillbilly to stop by, but have yet to make his aqauaintence. I hope that any one of you three on this thread take time to stop by. I am desperatly hard to miss. My umbrella is red and yellow, I wear loud Hawaiin shirts and you can usually see a line.

For a list of my awards, victhechiliman.com , and go to the awards button on the bottom.
    skylar0ne
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 473
    RE: Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte?? 2007/05/04 16:43:29 (permalink)
    Chileman, if I was still working, I would visit your cart, and bring half the vault personnel at Bank of America along with me. But alas, my walking days are a thing of the past. I am disabled, and haven't worked since 1995.
    Chiliman
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte?? 2007/05/04 20:22:26 (permalink)
    Sky, I thank you for your support. I serve a bunch of the BOA crew as I am outside the door of the main branch. Let me know when you might be traveling down town and I'l make an effort to wait on you. Likewise, if I get a gig in the Salsbury area, I'll buzz you.
    kensandyeggo
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 567
    RE: Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte?? 2007/06/03 16:50:53 (permalink)
    Just moved from San Diego about 1.5 years ago. Lived there for 20 years, but was born and raised in Chicago (32nd and Racine). On March 1, wife and I opened a Vienna hot dog joint in the Latta Arcade at 320 S. Tryon called Woody's. It's a franchise, because we didn't know diddly about food operations. It's a lunch deal only, Mon-Fri from about 10:30a.m. until about 2:20p.m. There are 4 other food joints in there with us, and we all have the same hours. We serve regular and Jumbo Vienna franks, spicy and regular Polish, Italian sausage and beef sandwiches (yes, we dip), Supreme tamales and brats. Started w/chips and just added fries.

There's another Vienna joint up the street, but he claims a Chicago dog can be "grilled," showing he's not really from Chicago as he claims, but from a faraway suburb as he admitted once. Plus, our beef is from Vienna in Chicago as are our popyseed buns and all the condiments. The other guy gets his beef and some other stuff locally, which in my opinion, moves away from an authentic "Chicago joint."

As an aside, once he found out we were opening, he started claiming to his customers and anyone that would listen that we were "infringing" on his territory, because his Vienna distributor lied to him that he would be the exclusive Vienna seller in Charlotte, I guess in order to get his account. He didn't realize that there was a Vienna cart or stand on almost every other corner in Chicago at one time, and no one gets an "exclusive" on Vienna anywhere. He should take his "born and raised in Chicago" blurb off his menu, because obviously he wasn't. He told his distributor (IFH) that he would cancel his account if they sold to us, so they won't. But, we can't be bothered with his petty B.S, because there's plenty for everyone in Uptown Charlotte and we wish everyone well.
    kensandyeggo
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte?? 2007/06/03 16:55:57 (permalink)
    P.S. Have heard nothing but good things about Chili Man and will try him out soon. Guess I'll have to try a Green's also to see what we're up against. I checked out a few of the street carts Uptown, but am afraid to eat anything off of them based on the way they look, grimy and broken down.
    viennadog
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte?? 2007/06/12 19:52:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kensandyeggo

Just moved from San Diego about 1.5 years ago. Lived there for 20 years, but was born and raised in Chicago (32nd and Racine). On March 1, wife and I opened a Vienna hot dog joint in the Latta Arcade at 320 S. Tryon called Woody's. It's a franchise, because we didn't know diddly about food operations. It's a lunch deal only, Mon-Fri from about 10:30a.m. until about 2:20p.m. There are 4 other food joints in there with us, and we all have the same hours. We serve regular and Jumbo Vienna franks, spicy and regular Polish, Italian sausage and beef sandwiches (yes, we dip), Supreme tamales and brats. Started w/chips and just added fries.

There's another Vienna joint up the street, but he claims a Chicago dog can be "grilled," showing he's not really from Chicago as he claims, but from a faraway suburb as he admitted once.

Welcome to NC!! Thank God, another Vienna hot dog place! I'm sorry you're only open M-F and for lunch as I live a couple hours away.

I'm wondering if the competitor your referring to is Matt's? I've tried there's and found it to be just ok. I also found this place, but have not tried it yet, nor do I know if it's still open:

Well, good luck w/you hot dog stand!! Every new one is important!!
    kensandyeggo
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte?? 2007/06/14 00:04:45 (permalink)
    City dogs is open, but I've never stopped in. His hours are the same as ours, 10:30 a.m. to around 3 p.m., so it's hard to drop in.

From a knowing, confidential source, I was told Matt buys his Italian beef locally and not from Vienna. I never tasted it and can't comment on it. It may be as good as Vienna's. I know he uses a locally baked poppy bun. Although very convenient, we found them gummy and collapsing in the steam table. They couldn't compare with the ones from Vienna so we stayed with Vienna buns.

Matt believed he would be the only Vienna seller in Charlotte and that we were "infringing" on his territory. I guess some distribution salesmen will say anything to get an account and someone will believe it.
    Chiliman
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte?? 2007/06/14 15:35:09 (permalink)
    Hey gang, it's the Chili Man here chiming in on the subject!

I watched as Woody's was being built out, as I was only a step or two away from having a spot on the outside part of Latta Arcade (It's George Hermans now). You employ a nice fella that delivers for you (who used to deliver for the Rainbow, I believe) and he has had and enjoyed my food. I, personally, hope like heck you do well. It's a sad state of affairs when one biz gets so dang bent out of shape for another similiar opening up, hell, your not even all that close. Screw'em says I. Just get in there, make great dogs and sausage, and you'll eventually take over your share of the hot dog pot of gold. There is more than enough folks uptown that we can each get our piece of the pie.

I will say that as for as us street doggers go, we all have a nice relationship and root for one another. Uptown Donny was a wealth of info for me when I started and I pass along the favor anytime a newby comes looking for help.

Though I try hard never to downgrade my doggie selling brethren, I actually agree with your assessment of many of the carts uptown and would not eat at several of them. Please stop by an introduce yourself. I am on the corner of 4th and Tryon, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday's (weather permitting).
    kensandyeggo
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte?? 2007/06/14 17:32:04 (permalink)
    Hi Chiliman,

Jim actually works the steam table with me during lunch. We haven't done any deliveries yet. Wife and I agree that there are enough people working in Uptown Charlotte to support everyone. The new office buildings are going up like crazy and they're all filled with potential dog-munchers. The parking lot outside our back door was just closed in order to tear it up and staple up a new building.

I will stop by shortly. Jim speaks highly of you and how excellent your chili is.
    Chiliman
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte?? 2007/06/14 20:23:34 (permalink)
    Jim is one SMART guy! I look forward to meetin ya.
    dougmarranci
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte?? 2007/06/14 21:10:35 (permalink)
    Hello Folks, Doug Marranci from City Hot Dogs

Just wanted to say hello! Maybe it is time to form a "hot dog" business association!

There is plenty of room for lots of us in Charlotte, and I know that more hot dog stands and restaurants will only increase the total customer base. We have had a great reception in Dilworth, however we don't have the concentration of people that you guys uptown have..

Take care and I hope to meet you all someday.

Doug Marranci
    City Hot Dogs
    1408 East Boulevard Suite A1
    Charlotte, NC 28203
    kensandyeggo
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte?? 2007/06/14 23:17:52 (permalink)
    Doug, what time do you open and close? We pass by your "joint" often on the way uptown or back. We live in Montclaire, near South Park. We get in at 9:30 a.m. and leave around 3:30 p.m. I'm sure we could swap some good info regarding distributors, suppliers, menu selection, etc.

Ken/Woody's
    dougmarranci
    Junior Burger
    RE: Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte?? 2007/06/15 08:31:58 (permalink)
    Hey Ken, We get in around 8:30 most days, and are here until 3:30 pm, we are here on Saturday from 10 am until 5:30 pm. Let me know when you might come by!

Doug
    kensandyeggo
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte?? 2007/06/15 23:41:39 (permalink)
    Doug, maybe I'll try Saturday, except I have a foot-long "Honey-Do" list given to me. We don't get in until 8:30 and can stop in sometime next week on our way in if I don't make it tomorrow.

Ken
    kensandyeggo
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte?? 2007/06/15 23:45:19 (permalink)
    Doug, I meant to say that we get in at 9:30, M-F.
    dougmarranci
    Junior Burger
    RE: Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte?? 2007/09/29 23:06:29 (permalink)
    Hey Folks,

For all of you hot dog guys who want to come visit, We are open until 10 pm on Thursday, Friday and Saturday night... You make great hot dogs for everyone else all week, come and relax with a beer or soda and let me fix you a good dog..

Take care,
    Doug Marranci
    City Hot Dogs
    1408 East Boulevard
    Charlotte NC 28203
    kensandyeggo
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte?? 2007/10/02 00:05:26 (permalink)
    Doug, we're going to take your lead. Instead of closing at 2:30, we're going to hang in there until 2:35 at least!

How's it going since I saw you last? We opened on Sunday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m when the Panthers game started and business sucked royally, worse than the pre-season games. We just got a new cart and will probably find a spot for it outside somewhere for the rest of the games.
    kensandyeggo
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte?? 2007/10/04 19:29:13 (permalink)
    Chili Man!!!! Where are you? Stopped to visit on Tuesday a.m. and all I saw was the grease spot where you normally park your cart.....Bwaaaahaaaaahaaa. I'll try again on Friday around 10:45 to 11.
    Benzee
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1875
    RE: Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte?? 2007/10/07 10:23:43 (permalink)
    Hello all ,

We will be heading down to Charlotte tommorrow and will be stopping to see the Chiliman around Noon on Wed.
    May even stop to see Doug at City Hot Dogs Thurs after our meet with NASCAR 2000 Champion Bobby LaBonte

Benzee
    Benzee
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1875
    RE: Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte?? 2007/10/20 14:47:11 (permalink)
    Hello all ,

We did get to see the Chiliman in Charlotte . He was still setting up and we did not get back to him to try his dogs but he has a great personality , a pleasure to talk with and a great spot at 4th and Tryon.

Could not get over to City Dogs and Doug but you never know when our next trip will be

Benzee
    dougmarranci
    Junior Burger
    RE: Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte?? 2008/01/06 14:52:01 (permalink)
    Hi Gang,

Anyone have any suggestions for good local hot dog rolls from a commercial broker in Charlotte.. at a reasonable price! Having trouble with quality and consistency.

Thanks

Doug Marranci
    City Hot Dogs
    1408 East Boulevard
    Charlotte NC 28203
    704-335-3700
    kensandyeggo
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte?? 2008/01/06 19:54:05 (permalink)
    Try Amber Grains Bakery. They deliver. Call me if you can't find their number. We use them for our Hoagie rolls for our meatball and beef sandwiches. You're not going to get a good steamable bun unless you get them from Vienna (Sparta has them). Vienna's buns are par-baked and are bullet-proof. The ones from Amber Grains are fully baked, so will turn into a sponge in a few minutes in the steam table, unless they're in there for just a very, very short time. The Viennas last and last. I can't remember the price difference, but I'm sure the Viennas cost more. The ones from Amber Grains can have poppy seeds, which is "Chicago Authentic." At the store, I can give you the pricing for each.
    jbh142
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte?? 2008/01/31 02:46:10 (permalink)
    Hey guys,
    Chilliman I will be coming to cisit you very soon. I am looking at expanding my Shaved ice business and want to do a great hotdog.

I can't decide between Thuman's or Vienna yet. They are both excellent dogs.

Kensandyegoo you wouldn't mind sharing were you get your Vienna buns from would ya. I think I might visit you tommorow if I get to Charlotte in time.

Hope you guys don't mind me asking question while I eat your dogs. LOL!!
    Chiliman
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte?? 2008/01/31 09:00:07 (permalink)
    jbh

I will be out tomorrow (Friday) and you are welcome to come by and ask questions with your mouth packed full of my grub! It will get busy though (usually right before noon), so get there early, it'll be an education in doing a helacious amount of business in a small amount of time

Vic
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 900
    RE: Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte?? 2008/01/31 10:09:35 (permalink)
    Chiliman, we are totally coming to see you on our next visit to the Queen City. I'm always on the lookout for great dogs, and Green's just doesn't do it for me anymore. Their quality and taste has gone down in the past ten years, and I'm left wanting.

I just reviewed Price's, Bill Spoon's BBQ, and am looking to add a great hot dog stand to my repertoire... Chris
    Chiliman
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte?? 2008/01/31 10:27:22 (permalink)
    Thanks ayersian, I have been preaching the same about Greens for awhile. I understand that they have a product that some folks want, but my customers a constantly telling me that the quality has slipped. I look forward to the opportunity to feed your need. Just let me know when, I'll tell you where!
    kensandyeggo
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Where are all the hot dog stands in Charlotte?? 2008/01/31 17:25:01 (permalink)
    We get our Vienna buns and other products through Sparta Imports (803)791-1277. They're in Columbia, SC and deliver to Charlotte, but I don't know where else.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1