Where can I buy Wakefield frozen crab?

Author
twodales
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
2004/12/11 16:07:27 (permalink)

Where can I buy Wakefield frozen crab?

Wakefield used to sell a high-quality frozen crab which I liked to use for appetizers. I haven't seen Wakefield products here in Chicago for some time.

I really don't like the tinny flavor or the texture of canned crab and most places seem to carry the fake stuff which is a huge turn-off to me.

Short of buying King or Snow Crab legs, cooking and cracking them do you have any advice? Is it possible to buy Wakefield Crab or something similar online? Are crabs just so expensive or rare that vendors don't bother?

TIA for any suggestions and/or information

6 Replies Related Threads

Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: Where can I buy Wakefield frozen crab? 2004/12/11 16:35:15 (permalink)
    Hope this is of some help to you....if you have a Trader Joe's in your area, you can get canned, pasteurized crab meat in one pound tins for about $8.99. I buy it all the time to have on hand for crab cakes, salad, or whatever, and it is good. It is a product of Thailand and you can get either premium or deluxe, which I think is probably all claw meat.

Here is a site for the distributor: www.byrdinternational.com

Donna
    redtressed
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Where can I buy Wakefield frozen crab? 2004/12/11 16:50:40 (permalink)
    The Shop and Save Grocery chain carries Wakefield in most of it's stores....or at least the ones that I have been in, from West Virginia to Maine. As far as the tinned crab, I think it depends upon the manufacturing process. I've had tinned crab from a tin that has that white sealant inside that's tasted perfectly fresh, and I've had it from the basic"tin" and it is tinny. Lately here, though crab is more often sold in the plastic 8 and 16 oz containers. Speaking of Shop and Save, this week, at mine down the street..Paul the bargain meat manager managed to get a huge haul of crab in...Claw Meat..16 oz is 1.99, Backfin 16 oz is 3.99 and Jumbo lump is 4.99, and by guminey it's Chesapeake Bay Crab, not the Argentinian import....yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18429
    RE: Where can I buy Wakefield frozen crab? 2004/12/11 17:57:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by redtressed

The Shop and Save Grocery chain carries Wakefield in most of it's stores....or at least the ones that I have been in, from West Virginia to Maine. As far as the tinned crab, I think it depends upon the manufacturing process. I've had tinned crab from a tin that has that white sealant inside that's tasted perfectly fresh, and I've had it from the basic"tin" and it is tinny. Lately here, though crab is more often sold in the plastic 8 and 16 oz containers. Speaking of Shop and Save, this week, at mine down the street..Paul the bargain meat manager managed to get a huge haul of crab in...Claw Meat..16 oz is 1.99, Backfin 16 oz is 3.99 and Jumbo lump is 4.99, and by guminey it's Chesapeake Bay Crab, not the Argentinian import....yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy!

$4.99? Wow! Here, lump crabmeat sells for $25 a pound.
    redtressed
    RE: Where can I buy Wakefield frozen crab? 2004/12/11 20:34:55 (permalink)
    Mr. Hoffman, I kid you not. This meat manager comes up with the most incredible buys. For instance, also at the same time as the crab, he had those Perdue Chicken fritter things that sell for around 5 dollars a package for 99cents..all varieties(not my favorite thing, but Adam loves them)This summer he had Butterball Young Hen Turkeys FRESH for 29 cents a lb, whole Corned beef briskets for 69cents a lb and a few weeks ago he had a plethora of Johnsonville Brats, all varieties for 79 cents a package and the damn man won't tell me how he does it. I can't figure out how this store can undercut everyone else so drastically. Also, although they are of the Shop and Save grocery chain, they are very much an independent family business and offer so much more than the other Shop N Save in town, as far as the bargains.
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: Where can I buy Wakefield frozen crab? 2004/12/12 18:50:19 (permalink)
    Redtressed,
    Sounds like this guy is dealing in "hot" items!! Ain't no way Chesapeake crab goes at those prices, legit. My neighbor,the guy that caught that rockfish, fishes out of Crisfield (crab central) & knows several crab packers, even he can't get backfin for under $10 a pound, so factor in the local cost of $2 a gal for the gas to transport up into them thar hills and something smells a bit fishy.
    redtressed
    RE: Where can I buy Wakefield frozen crab? 2004/12/12 19:33:17 (permalink)
    Yeah I intimated that and also asked him if he was like the Cornish smugglers of old and derailing trucks to their demise and grabbing the booty;)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1