The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Where can I buy a hot dog cart in Northern California?

veggiedog

• Total Posts: 9
Where can I buy a hot dog cart in Northern California? Tue, 09/29/09 6:33 PM (permalink)
[Helpful answer received] / [List Solutions Only]
I want to buy a cart locally...Does anyone know of a place in Northern California where I can buy the cart, used or new?

Thanks a bunch!
Veggiedog

MikeinRI

• Total Posts: 1127
    Re:Where can I buy a hot dog cart in Northern California? Tue, 09/29/09 7:11 PM (permalink)
    veggiedog

I want to buy a cart locally...Does anyone know of a place in Northern California where I can buy the cart, used or new?

Thanks a bunch!
    Veggiedog

have you tried craigslist?

BillyB

• Total Posts: 2851
      Re:Where can I buy a hot dog cart in Northern California? Tue, 09/29/09 7:32 PM (permalink)
      veggiedog

Thanks a bunch!
      Veggiedog

Hey Veggie, Have you talked with the local planning and health dept to find out what the needs are for your city????????????  If not do so before you look into a cart............Don't put the Cart before the donkey, or Local agencies in this case...................Bill

veggiedog

Re:Where can I buy a hot dog cart in Northern California? Tue, 09/29/09 11:10 PM (permalink)
        Will do this tomorrow. I have tried craigslist and saw a few. What do I have to look for when buying a used cart?

quickdog

• Total Posts: 500
          Re:Where can I buy a hot dog cart in Northern California? Wed, 09/30/09 12:00 AM (permalink)
          [This post was marked as helpful]
          veggiedog

Thanks a bunch!
          Veggiedog

Hey Veggie,

I am in San Jose/Campbell and bought mine on Craigslist but contact the Sacramento health department. The specific county your in. You will have requirements and for the cart and they will list them for you.

Are you planning on only serving veggie dogs? are they in demand in the area you live in?

I just checked Craigslist for you and they are kind of high priced at the moment. I would get all your other ducks lined up and wait until you find one for a good price. They add more every week so I would be patient and find that gem. $1000-1200 would be ideal. Right now the lowest I see in the area or other areas is $2500.

<message edited by quickdog on Wed, 09/30/09 12:07 AM>

veggiedog

Re:Where can I buy a hot dog cart in Northern California? Wed, 09/30/09 12:18 AM (permalink)
            Hey Quickdog,

I am not sure how the market is here in Sacramento for veggie dog. I am doing this to promote veggie/vegan diet, and perhaps hopefully make a few extra bucks. I don't even know if there is a market for it. Do you sell veggie dog? I am looking into a cart on sale on craigslist for 2400 in South Sacramento. What do you think of this cart? I called up the guy and he said it passed inspection for 2008. Do you think this is a good buy?

quickdog

Re:Where can I buy a hot dog cart in Northern California? Wed, 09/30/09 5:52 PM (permalink)
              veggiedog

Hey Quickdog,

I am not sure how the market is here in Sacramento for veggie dog. I am doing this to promote veggie/vegan diet, and perhaps hopefully make a few extra bucks. I don't even know if there is a market for it. Do you sell veggie dog? I am looking into a cart on sale on craigslist for 2400 in South Sacramento. What do you think of this cart? I called up the guy and he said it passed inspection for 2008. Do you think this is a good buy?

I have only serve veggie dogs when it is requested in a catering gig. Even then I only unload about 5. I think if you doing it for the promotion and not so much the money that's cool. Your homework just became 10 times harder then the average vendor starting out though. You have to do a lot of research on your areas and make sure you find that balance of people tha will buy a veggie dog. Since your trying to promote a veggie diet you want to target an area that is new to the veggie dogs but still have some that frequent them. That was you get some money coming in to support your promotion.

If it takes off that would be great. Do a signature dog with a veggie chili and a special bun (like honey wheat, or garlic) I bet a good location would be by some sort of park course or gym, where people can eat after a workout or jog and not feel guilty.

$2400 is steep for me because I try to find the best bargains. But then again I am one to find a fixer upper and make it shine. Do you have a link or picture of the cart? $2400 isn't so bad if you just want to get started asap. I bet we can get them down to $2000 though  lol. Is it the cart on Craigslist with the big red writing on the front? with 2 large steam pans?

veggiedog

Re:Where can I buy a hot dog cart in Northern California? Thu, 10/1/09 12:12 AM (permalink)
                Hey Quickdog,
                Here is the link to that cart. It is 2600 not 2400.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/bfs/1398382401.html

djtomatoe

• Total Posts: 197
                  Re:Where can I buy a hot dog cart in Northern California? Thu, 10/1/09 12:05 PM (permalink)
                  i sell veggie sausage...but probably less than one a week.
                  if that is all you are thinking about selling.......you may want to think about other products to work with.
                  the dogs alone may not make you any money.
                  i am in aptos calif

http://www.lucyshotdogs.com

veggiedog

Re:Where can I buy a hot dog cart in Northern California? Thu, 10/1/09 12:34 PM (permalink)
                    Hi djtomatoes,

What kind of veggie sausage do you sell? Does it contain eggs? I want to sell only the vegan or veggie stuff without eggs...

slammin

• Total Posts: 104
                      Re:Where can I buy a hot dog cart in Northern California? Thu, 10/1/09 3:03 PM (permalink)
                      veggiedog

Hey Quickdog,

With such miserable pictures it will be hard to tell without seeing it in person. Find out who manufactured the cart and what the model name/numbers is. Then visit the builders website. You should be able to see better photos of a new cart and on most sites a layout of the cart. If you go see it, have the seller fire up the burners and demo the cart. Be sure the fresh and waste water containers are there and make sure the plumbing doesn't leak. Try it on for size, see if you would be comfortable operating it. Good luck! 

quickdog

Re:Where can I buy a hot dog cart in Northern California? Fri, 10/2/09 6:22 PM (permalink)
                        veggiedog

Hey Quickdog,

That person has some pretty bad pics but if it looks good in person that's another story. personally i would wait because $2600 seems kind of high. Also I don't like the blue trim personally but you can change that if you feel the same way. I would check it out in person and make sure it passed the health codes.  
                        <message edited by quickdog on Fri, 10/2/09 6:24 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com