Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Mags81
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 84
2004/02/17 21:25:46 (permalink)

Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie?

Will be in the Fort Lauderdale, Miami and Key Largo area next month and I'm always in search for the ultimate slice of Key Lime Pie. I'm sure there are some good spots to find it in Key West but unfortunately won't be able to make it there. I'm sure there are some places in the south Florida area that makes a good pie. Does anyone know of a restaurant or bakery that makes a GREAT Key Lime Pie in that area? - Thanks

34 Replies Related Threads

JaneDough
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? 2004/03/14 08:18:25 (permalink)
    I guess I'm too late, but go to Joe's Stone Crab in South Beach. Been there since 1913. They have takeout now if you don't want to wait about 3 hours for a table. The bar's always hoppin' though.

Their KLP Rx is the traditional, and homemade, even the buttery graham cracker crust. No meringue topping here; just a dollop of fresh whipped cream. Let it come to room temp though.
    Vince Macek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 863
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? 2004/03/14 10:17:22 (permalink)
    I'm not the authoritative source here, but I had a great piece of pie some 7 years back at a little joint in Key Largo on the north side of the road (that should narrow it down). A produce market on the edge of the Everglades made a terrific key lime milkshake (I wish I'd been more conscientious in taking notes)

So can someone tell me; is the proper texture for the filling more cold and creamy than gelatiney like lemon pie? I really came to like the former & can't find it way up here in Atlanta.
    chezkatie
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? 2004/03/14 10:50:03 (permalink)
    If you would be willing to drive 16 miles further on the Keys, you will come to Manny & Isa's Kitchen in Islamorada where you will enjoy one of the best pieces of Key Lime pie in the whole world! The place is very small, located on the east side of the highway. We have stopped there many times and filled up on Key Lime pie! This is a treat that you will long remember! .
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? 2004/03/25 11:12:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Vince Macek

I'm not the authoritative source here, but I had a great piece of pie some 7 years back at a little joint in Key Largo on the north side of the road (that should narrow it down). A produce market on the edge of the Everglades made a terrific key lime milkshake (I wish I'd been more conscientious in taking notes)

So can someone tell me; is the proper texture for the filling more cold and creamy than gelatiney like lemon pie? I really came to like the former & can't find it way up here in Atlanta.

Vince,
    I'm not an authority either but I, too, prefer the cold and creamy filling over the gelatinous. Maybe someone knows a recipe to make it that way. The recipes that I've seen don't do it.

Frank
    JaneDough
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? 2004/03/25 16:41:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fcbaldwin

quote:

Vince,
    I'm not an authority either but I, too, prefer the cold and creamy filling over the gelatinous. Maybe someone knows a recipe to make it that way. The recipes that I've seen don't do it.

Frank
    Try the recipe on the bottle of Nellie & Joe's Key Lime Juice, available at some supermarkets (in either baking or drink mixer aisle), and most gourmet shops. All it has is egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk and the juice. Pour into HOME-MADE graham cracker-sugar-melted butter crust, bake briefly, chill. Before you serve it, let it come back to room temp for at least 30 mins. for the perfect creamy consistency. No jello-like pies here!
    BUBBA9459
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? 2004/03/25 17:53:53 (permalink)
    The Cracked Conch Cafe in Marathon FL Keys

Has great Key Lime pie
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? 2004/03/25 20:04:57 (permalink)
    A bit out of the way, and not a pie...But I was in Steamboat Springs and had a key lime sherbert in which they had shaved little pieces of the lime zest right into it, very bitter and sweat all at them same time. They served it with a side of some other sweet sauce,,,sorry I can't be more specific I was kinda of "getting organized" as it was vacation and all.
    KGShopper
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? 2004/04/06 18:51:28 (permalink)
    Just returned from the Keys. We hadTHE BEST Key Lime Pie at a small place on Pigeon Key (just before the 7 mile bridge) called Chiki Tiki @ Burdines Waterfront Marina. It was creamy and wonderful. Check it out.
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? 2004/04/09 07:27:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JaneDough

quote:
    Originally posted by fcbaldwin

quote:

Vince,

Frank
    Try the recipe on the bottle of Nellie & Joe's Key Lime Juice, available at some supermarkets (in either baking or drink mixer aisle), and most gourmet shops. All it has is egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk and the juice. Pour into HOME-MADE graham cracker-sugar-melted butter crust, bake briefly, chill. Before you serve it, let it come back to room temp for at least 30 mins. for the perfect creamy consistency. No jello-like pies here!

Thank you Jane. I think the whole trick to having the filling be "cold and creamy" instead of gelatinous is your suggestion of letting the pie come to room temp before eating. I made one last week and we took your advice...it worked! BTW, I made a home-made graham cracker-sugar-melted butter crust, and used fresh squeezed lime juice, not the bottled. Delicious.

Frank
    JaneDough
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? 2004/04/10 12:10:57 (permalink)
    My pleasure, Frank. Glad you liked the result, because as we all know (or SHOULD), Life's short... eat dessert FIRST!
    dctourist
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 325
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? 2005/01/18 15:57:02 (permalink)
    quote:

A produce market on the edge of the Everglades made a terrific key lime milkshake (I wish I'd been more conscientious in taking notes)

I found it myself this past weekend - it's called Robert is Here, and it's on State Rt. 9336 going west from Florida City/Homestead. Amazing!!! I would love to figure out they make the stuff...
    CarolinaBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? 2005/01/18 16:44:47 (permalink)
    Amazingly, the place with the WORST Key Lime Pie in the world is probably Key West. I've been there several times - one restaurant server explained that one commercial bakery makes almost all the key Lime Pie sold on the island - and it is strictly geared towards ripping off the tourists. (Frozen Key Lime Pie on a stick, chocolate covered? UGH.) Only place on island to find good stuff is at higher-end restaurants. The recipe on Nellie and Joe's Key Lime Juice (sold at many supermarkets) is pretty good.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7920
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? 2005/01/18 17:27:14 (permalink)
    The Best Key Lime Pie I ever ate was at Joe's Stone Crab in South Beach!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? 2005/01/18 18:57:29 (permalink)
    One of the best I ever had was at Litton's in Knoxville. (Believe it or not).
    lamertz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 290
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? 2005/01/18 21:51:14 (permalink)
    I'd invite you all down here to have some real good KeyLime pie,but I don't think you'd all fit in my kitchen.Used to be that most restauants did use the same pie place,but that has changed. I find most to be too sweet and not tart enough. The recipe on the back of Nellie and Joe's is pretty good. I prefer using a regular pie crust to the graham cracker kind. As always,the one you make youself is the best.
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 709
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? 2005/01/18 21:58:49 (permalink)
    Didn't Lums used to have Great key lime pie?
    BaconBits
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? 2005/01/19 11:59:40 (permalink)
    For New Years I wanted to make my family a key lime pie. So I searched the web for the Joe Stone Crab's key lime pie recipe. It's all over - just google it. Anyway - I made it - it was EASY - and it was DELICIOUS!! I highly recommend it.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18691
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? 2005/01/19 12:03:23 (permalink)
    Don't laugh -- The only time I ever tasted Key lime pie was at a Denny's. It was good.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? 2005/01/19 12:09:23 (permalink)
    Today we are having the first snowfall of the season and I hate it. I think I will make a key lime pie for dinner, put a "spring looking" tablecloth on the table and will pretend we are in Florida
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18691
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? 2005/01/19 12:20:33 (permalink)
    Your first snowfall? I happily woke up to a fresh blanket of snow this morning. Please, let there be more, and if you don't want your snow you can send it my way.
    speechpeach
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 239
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? 2005/01/20 20:50:47 (permalink)
    I make wonderful Key Lime Pie....Speechpeach
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1688
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? 2005/01/20 23:29:42 (permalink)
    The best place to get a very good Key lime pie is Florida...........lol ...anywhere in Florida, under a rock, behind a bush, at any trailer park, or retirement condo, There's Key lime pie under every pile of plywood after the hurricane and key lime pie is the prize at all the BINGO parlors. Folks that wanted to vote for John Kerry couldn't ....you got it the voting machines were stuffed with key lime pie. No chad this time just good old key lime pie ....................
    Where ever you look in Florida there's a pretty good Key Lime pie.
    And the best part is that Key lime pie is so easy to make that it's almost impossible to screw it up............. and that's why the best is in Florida ....................... I love key lime pie Don't you?
    cindyloo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? 2005/01/21 09:14:24 (permalink)
    Ditto on the recipe on the Nellie and Joe's bottle. I like that one very much. I also enjoy a bit of N & J's lime juice in my gin an tonic, or bloody mary.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? 2005/01/21 16:43:09 (permalink)
    On Sanibel Island is Gramma Dot's ... great seafood and, as I remember, very, very good Key Lime Pie.

http://www.sanibelmarina.com/gramma.htm
    ... I hope they survived the storms
    frankos72
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? 2005/01/22 11:39:31 (permalink)
    They used to have a teriffic key lime pie here in Oklahoma at a place called Van's Charcoal Room. Alas, it's closed for business. In my expierence with key lime pies, you gotta get the white/cream colored ones that are made with sweetened condensed milk and served on a homemade graham cracker crust. Some places have this green looking pie that is more like jello as many folks stated above. Stay away from the jello. Also many of the machine made crusts just don't crumble right. I think they are pressed too much and they loose their "crumbleablitly?"

As a general rule, when I travel florida I just ask the server if it's white or green. If it's green I don't even bother, if it's white well at least they are on the right track.

Any way, that's my 2 cents.
    MYmimi
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? 2005/03/04 20:47:04 (permalink)
    One thing I have found about key lime pie is that I like it much better if I make it early in the morning or the day before. And always include the lime zest. Joe's recipe with or without the egg yolks is the my favorite
    olphart
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 289
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? 2005/03/10 21:03:05 (permalink)
    Flying Saucer Pie Company on Crosstimbers in Houston!
    sugarlander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 254
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? 2005/06/14 14:11:25 (permalink)
    I may have posted this before, but the Times newspaper in Ft. Lauderdale in May listed Publix as the best key lime pie for their reader's choice. It tried it, it's pretty good, but Joe's Stone Crab is better.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8109
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? 2005/06/15 02:01:32 (permalink)
    I had Key Lime Pie at every stop from Miami to Key West and back to Miami.

My favorite was at the Quay in Key Largo and I had to have it again when I saw they had a place in Key West.

It was a non-traditional KLP. It had a cheesecake-like consistancy without being a cheesecake.

I've tried for years to get the recipe with no sucess.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1