Where did the Indiana tenderloins go ???

Author
flyseye
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 470
2007/03/27 21:15:30 (permalink)

Where did the Indiana tenderloins go ???

I was missing a good old Indiana tenderloin, and thought I would check out the photos again of Mr Daves in North Manchester in the Indiana restaurant section on this site. It would seem to have disappeared. Also missing in action is Gnaw Bone Food and Fuel, which I always thought was over-rated, but I know many on here liked the place.

So what happened to these two places. Did they close ? Where did the photos/reviews go ?

27 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Where did the Indiana tenderloins go ??? 2007/03/27 21:25:04 (permalink)
    Well my friend... Pour yourself a drink and get comfortable.. Then click on this link: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=423 Close to 700 posts there..

As for the Gnaw Bone: http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1392 As stated below, resident BPT expert Davydd has mentioned they closed.. But when I did a google search, came up with this: http://www.gnawbonetenderloin.com/ Some golf resort now claims the fame for them..

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    RE: Where did the Indiana tenderloins go ??? 2007/03/27 21:30:39 (permalink)
    flyseye-
    Davydd recently let us know that Gnaw Bone Food & Fuel closed in December.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15279
    RE: Where did the Indiana tenderloins go ??? 2007/03/27 21:51:57 (permalink)
    I am headed up to Rt 46 next week. I will check out the demise of Gnawbone Food and Fuel.
    AL
    flyseye
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Where did the Indiana tenderloins go ??? 2007/03/27 21:52:34 (permalink)
    UncleVic and Buffetbuster,

Thanks for the info on Gnaw Bone. Looks like they sold out/ moved to a nearby golf course.

Anybody know what happened to Mr Daves in North Manchester ? It was one of my favorites.

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Where did the Indiana tenderloins go ??? 2007/03/27 22:27:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by flyseye

UncleVic and Buffetbuster,

Thanks for the info on Gnaw Bone. Looks like they sold out/ moved to a nearby golf course.

Anybody know what happened to Mr Daves in North Manchester ? It was one of my favorites.

Not sure about Mr Daves, but here's the review: http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=652
    flyseye
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Where did the Indiana tenderloins go ??? 2007/03/27 23:04:04 (permalink)
    Thanks UncleVic. When you pull up the Indiana restaurant listing it is missing now, how did you find it ?
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Where did the Indiana tenderloins go ??? 2007/03/28 00:35:52 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayor took me to Gnaw Bone a couple of years ago. In fact, while he was there, he snapped this picture of an incredibly good-looking local fellow, as he was ready to enjoy his sandwich. He ate his sandwich right after he finished checking out the incredibly good-looking local lady who had just walked into the dining area.

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Where did the Indiana tenderloins go ??? 2007/03/28 12:37:42 (permalink)
    Notice that I cropped the photo to eliminate the glare of the overhead lights that reflected off the shiny surface on the top of the gentleman's head!

I looked at the website for the golf course that is the new home of the GnawBone Tenderloin...It makes that claim on the site, but the sandwich does NOT appear on the menu for the restaurant. I wonder if you have to go in and ASK for it?? Further bulletins to follow.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Where did the Indiana tenderloins go ??? 2007/03/28 12:45:56 (permalink)
    quote:

Thanks UncleVic. When you pull up the Indiana restaurant listing it is missing now, how did you find it ?

When I have to find something on the site, Google "Roadfood + whatever you where looking for". Always works for me!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    RE: Where did the Indiana tenderloins go ??? 2007/03/28 12:50:05 (permalink)
    I was curious about Mr. Dave's, so I went ahead and called. They are indeed still open. I wonder why the review got archived?
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6393
    RE: Where did the Indiana tenderloins go ??? 2007/03/28 13:06:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Notice that I cropped the photo to eliminate the glare of the overhead lights that reflected off the shiny surface on the top of the gentleman's head!

I looked at the website for the golf course that is the new home of the GnawBone Tenderloin...It makes that claim on the site, but the sandwich does NOT appear on the menu for the restaurant. I wonder if you have to go in and ASK for it?? Further bulletins to follow.

Al

I called them and the WFGB Tenderloin is served in the 19th hole, the bar downstairs, not in the restaurant upstairs.

They claim they are still as good as they ever were, but now you can enjoy them in a "bar" setting, with entertainment and adult drinks.

soozycue520
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: Where did the Indiana tenderloins go ??? 2007/03/28 14:16:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

quote:

When I have to find something on the site, Google "Roadfood + whatever you where looking for". Always works for me!

Actually I do this, as well. Sometimes when I look for other things, Roadfood comes up multiple times on Google. DEFINITELY A POPULAR SITE!!! (BTW, Google is how I found RoadFood!!)
    soozycue520
    RE: Where did the Indiana tenderloins go ??? 2007/03/28 14:20:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CajunKing

quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Al

I called them and the WFGB Tenderloin is served in the 19th hole, the bar downstairs, not in the restaurant upstairs.

They claim they are still as good as they ever were, but now you can enjoy them in a "bar" setting, with entertainment and adult drinks.

Do they have a website? I am close (in Cincy), and will be in Indiana on more than one occasion in the near future, and might want to check out this "golf course, bar with entertainment and adult drinks, AND pork tenderloin sammiches.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Where did the Indiana tenderloins go ??? 2007/03/28 14:33:03 (permalink)
    Sooozy,

Here is the web site. http://www.gnawbonetenderloin.com/
    soozycue520
    RE: Where did the Indiana tenderloins go ??? 2007/03/28 14:37:36 (permalink)
    Thanks Al!!!
    bstevens
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Where did the Indiana tenderloins go ??? 2007/04/12 16:36:26 (permalink)
    quote:

I was missing a good old Indiana tenderloin,

Here's a tip. Best breaded tenderloin in Indiana nowadays. Bonnie & Clydes. East of Indy on I70 and then north at the Mt. Comfort exit. It's in an old converted bank building. Try the sweet potato fries for a side.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6374
    RE: Where did the Indiana tenderloins go ??? 2007/04/12 20:47:29 (permalink)
    The Gnaw Bone Tenderloin when it was at the Food & Fuel had changed ownership numerous times and similar to the Mug'n'Bun carried a storied reputation. Maybe at one time it was a great sandwich. But the tenderloin I had last June at the Food and Fuel did not crack my 10 best. It was OK but the reason for the destination was more for the unique atmosphere of eating at a gas station with an unusual name. Now that it relegated to a bar in a private golf course clubhouse I would not go out of my way. Sorry, that's the way it is in my opinion.

Most likely on my 2007 tenderloin sandwich tour I will take in the Green Street Pub in Brownsburg, the Bourbon Street Distillery in downtown Indianapolis and maybe the Flag Room at the Brickyard Crossing at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. By default I will have my annual high school reunion pork tenderloin sandwich at Grindstone Charley's in Speedway the Friday night before the Indy 500.

As a prelude to the tour I hope to get down to Wellsburg, Iowa and try the 2006 best pork tenderloin sandwich in Iowa winner awarded by the Iowa Pork Board. That would be a 231 mile 4 hour 43 minute trip from my house according to Google Maps. But the camper van needs a warm up trip.
    flyseye
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Where did the Indiana tenderloins go ??? 2007/04/12 21:02:56 (permalink)
    Couldnt agree more about Gnaw Bone Davydd, but I posted my feelings about the place once before, and ...well nevermind. The tenderloin reminded me of a shake and bake pork chop sandwich.Personally I wouldnt place it in the top 10 of even just Indiana tenderloins, but Gnaw Bone is a cute name.

Still wondering why the review was dropped about Mr Daves in North Manchester, IN.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Where did the Indiana tenderloins go ??? 2007/04/12 21:32:28 (permalink)
    quote:

Still wondering why the review was dropped about Mr Daves in North Manchester, IN.

Have the powers to be weighed in on this? Remember the earlier thread about the missing review dates and the assurance that reviews were indeed updated? Maybe they carried through on their word and removed Mr. Dave's simply because there has been no followup recent review.

It was definitely there last February 2006. I almost stopped there but Jean Anne Bailey foisted a dessert pie on me after trying her pork tenderloin at Nick's Kitchen in Huntington and all I could do was a drive by with no appetite. Had I been able to get my camper van under their drive-up window canopy I might have tried one for take out for research purposes.

Mr Dave himself is retired and I believe the business was turned over to his son or sons.
    flyseye
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Where did the Indiana tenderloins go ??? 2007/04/13 09:40:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Davydd

quote:

Mr Dave himself is retired and I believe the business was turned over to his son or sons.

??? Dave and his wife were still both hard at work July of last year. They could have retired since then I guess, I cant confirm as I have moved away.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Where did the Indiana tenderloins go ??? 2007/04/13 21:00:38 (permalink)
    I knew I read it somewhere that Mr. Dave turned the business over to his son. I found it on Chowhound in an old 2003 thread with Mr. Dave (Clapp) himself.

http://www.chowhound.com/topics/121226?query=mr.%20dave%20tenderloin

It is the last message in the thread.

To see Mr. Dave himself, go to this short movie...

http://www.jensenrufe.com/documentaries/tenderloin/index.html
    janicks
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 72
    RE: Where did the Indiana tenderloins go ??? 2007/04/13 21:46:06 (permalink)
    Yes Mr. Dave is retired . He does spend time at the restaurant in the summer he just returned from his winter in Flordia last week. His son Kevin and his wife own the place now and people say his dad taught him well. His other son is a food salesman for US foods and a very good one at that. I am his first customer on Monday mornings and we have some great conversations about BPT's and thr RIGHT way to make them. As foar a Gnaw Bone goes I heard they still use the broaster to cook them and thats his claim to fame I would say. I hope the bar atmosphere works for him I have thought about trying a beer and wine license but I have a church too close to the biz to get a license.
    Just thought I would add my 2 cents for what its worth...Jean Anne
    lamertz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 290
    RE: Where did the Indiana tenderloins go ??? 2007/04/15 19:04:54 (permalink)
    Davydd, You might want to stop in to Berringer's Bar just south of downtown Indianapolis,IN on S Meridian St. This an old tavern serving very good tenderloin sandwiches. Not much fuss, just really good tenderloin!
    BTW I have a cabin near GnawBone In and tried the tenderloins at the Fuel a few times and never found them to be very good.
    I haven't been to the 19th Hole, but will try it when I return next week. It is a really pretty place in Brown County
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Where did the Indiana tenderloins go ??? 2007/04/15 20:52:38 (permalink)
    lamertz,

I've been in Minnesota for 37 years now but still, STILL think of Brown County, IN as the ultimate retirement place. Alas, my wife does not share my dream.

I've heard of Berringers. Truth is there are a lot of great tenderloins in Indiana. You almost cannot fail because the restaurants have become aware. My short list right now is the Bourbon Street Distillery in downtown Indianapoils and the Green Street Pub in Brownsburg. By default I will have my annual one at Grindstone Charley's in Speedway at our annual high school reunion. After that, who knows? Maybe another Track Loin at the Indy 500. My wife would like to try the Flag Room at the Brickyard Crossing but that may be difficult to get in to. Brickyard Crossing was the very first ever building project I worked on as an architect intern and I am hearing it may be torn down.
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 705
    RE: Where did the Indiana tenderloins go ??? 2014/06/30 11:54:29 (permalink)
    Here a Article about Pork Tenderloins in Northern Indiana and Southwesten Michigan:
    http://www.flavor574.com/...-s-state-sandwich.html
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Where did the Indiana tenderloins go ??? 2014/06/30 16:43:59 (permalink)
    garryd451

Here a Article about Pork Tenderloins in Northern Indiana and Southwesten Michigan:
    http://www.flavor574.com/...-s-state-sandwich.html

Interesting article. It says Michiana but I believe only Indiana restaurants were mentioned. I drive across northern Indiana just about every year and also go up through Michigan frequently. So, I have scoured any available menu or review comments on the Internet close by in Michigan and haven't come up with a tenderloin in Michigan yet. It is as if they made them illegal right at the border.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10270
    RE: Where did the Indiana tenderloins go ??? 2014/07/01 03:05:25 (permalink)
    It was interesting to note the number of Chinese restaurants serving BPT's!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1