Where do you buy your food products/ paper goods from for your restaurant?

Author
sysco_mk
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Flagged as Spam (3)
2011/12/14 16:27:51 (permalink)

Where do you buy your food products/ paper goods from for your restaurant?

Hi everyone,

I work for Sysco (Food distribution company) and wanted to see where most of you guys buy your products from and why?
I'm not in Sales so I'm not here to make commission out of this...

Seems like few of the forum topics are about how to start up a business, menu/logo analysis questions, food recipe suggestions, marketing and etc.

Not only Sysco offers 15,000 products, we also offer menu/business analysis, business review sessions with our amazing chefs at no cost.

We have locations all over U.S. and Canada.

If anyone is interested, please feel free to e-mail and I will do my best to answer all your questions you may have.

Thank you

26 Replies Related Threads

FriedTater
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 415
    Re:Where do you buy your food products/ paper goods from for your restaurant? 2011/12/14 17:03:08 (permalink)
    Your not in sales and not make a commision out of this. But feel free to e-mail you and you`ll answer our questions we have. Sounds to me your in sales.
    lornaschinske
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:Where do you buy your food products/ paper goods from for your restaurant? 2011/12/14 19:35:43 (permalink)
    Sysco wouldn't spit on us if we were on fire. I could not get them to return either my phone calls or e-mails. I don't need Sysco. I buy my supplies from Sam's Club and the internet.
    stubby77
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    Re:Where do you buy your food products/ paper goods from for your restaurant? 2011/12/14 21:52:28 (permalink)
    I would love to talk to Sysco about what they could offer me, but I know I could never meet the delivery minimums. I buy most of my supplies from local wholesalers who appreciate every dollar I spend with them. I am constantly flabberghasted by the arrogance of some of the big companies. There's a wholesale provider whose trucks stop at my stand for lunch at least once a week, but they won't sell to me because I can't meet their arbitrary $1000 minimum order. No matter how many times I tell them their truck stops anyway, they don't listen.
    chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 1980
    Re:Where do you buy your food products/ paper goods from for your restaurant? 2011/12/14 23:03:52 (permalink)
    The two that I use are 10 cases or $500
    kennyb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    Re:Where do you buy your food products/ paper goods from for your restaurant? 2011/12/15 08:51:07 (permalink)
    same herem sysco won't give us the time of day. the warehouse is just up the road with a pickup window and still can't get anything from them. u s foods will do anything for us, great to work with. but mainly we go to resturant depot and a little at sams. friends don't let friends shop at sysco. 
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Where do you buy your food products/ paper goods from for your restaurant? 2011/12/15 09:02:39 (permalink)
    stubby77

I would love to talk to Sysco about what they could offer me, but I know I could never meet the delivery minimums. I buy most of my supplies from local wholesalers who appreciate every dollar I spend with them. I am constantly flabbergasted by the arrogance of some of the big companies. There's a wholesale provider whose trucks stop at my stand for lunch at least once a week, but they won't sell to me because I can't meet their arbitrary $1000 minimum order. No matter how many times I tell them their truck stops anyway, they don't listen.

I couldn't agree more. Where the hell am I going to store $1000.00 worth of anything. Sysco just doesn't care about the average small vendor.

Jack
    stubby77
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Where do you buy your food products/ paper goods from for your restaurant? 2011/12/15 09:11:21 (permalink)
    Kenny, what is US Food's minimum delivery?
    FriedTater
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 415
    Re:Where do you buy your food products/ paper goods from for your restaurant? 2011/12/15 09:24:01 (permalink)
    Sysco treated me the same way as the rest of you. I buy from Sams and Ben E. Keith. BEK has been wonderful to work with. I can order a box of straws, or a 18 wheeler of potatoes, doesn`t matter what size my order is, they always come thru. My sales rep works with me with whatever problem or questions I have, in hopes someday I`ll be one of his bigdogs and make larger purchases. God bless the USA and BEK!
    KurtSara
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 182
    Re:Where do you buy your food products/ paper goods from for your restaurant? 2011/12/15 10:27:19 (permalink)
    Like Lornaschinske, they would not even call us back when we tried to set up a account with them
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6629
    Re:Where do you buy your food products/ paper goods from for your restaurant? 2011/12/15 10:31:34 (permalink)
    I have to say that in my nearly 30 years of being an executive chef I have dealt primarily with Sysco with no problems.  Maybe running restaurants with more than $2 million in sales annually has something to do with it, I don't know.  They were always great to me.  I purchased very little fresh food and no paper products, mainly dry goods.  I got 2 deliveries a week which came to about $5000. 
    chefbuba
    Re:Where do you buy your food products/ paper goods from for your restaurant? 2011/12/15 11:18:48 (permalink)
    stubby77

For me, it's 10 pieces or $500

Chicnscoop
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 291
    Re:Where do you buy your food products/ paper goods from for your restaurant? 2011/12/15 11:36:05 (permalink)
    We have a Sysco account and have bought from them several times last year. The minimum is for delivery - you can pick up at the dock if the order is less. Where I am the Sysco warehouse is only a few miles further than to go to restaurant depot so we pick up at the dock. I think their minimum for delivery is $500. Often we get our paper goods at Rest Depot because of price. We only buy from Sysco if the price is lower or we cannot get it anywhere else like in the case of our corn dogs.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Where do you buy your food products/ paper goods from for your restaurant? 2011/12/15 16:11:51 (permalink)
    I once ordered lamb racks from Sysco and the chine bone was ON!  So I called my sales rep and told him I needed racks without the chine bone and I needed them for service at 5 PM.  He personally came, picked up the racks, took them to a butcher who ran them through a band saw and returned them to me at no charge.  I have always been a big fan of Sysco.  Never once was disappointed.
    lornaschinske
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:Where do you buy your food products/ paper goods from for your restaurant? 2011/12/15 18:02:15 (permalink)
    I even offered to pick up at the Asheville NC Sysco. Like I said, they wouldn't return even an e-mail (and I tried for 3 months). Same for Albuquerque NM and Corpus Christi TX. I got the message. If a Sysco rep showed up today willing to deal with us, we would decline.

The Albuquerque Sysco would drive right past us in Socorro. They also wouldn't stop at the coffee house my daughter worked at. Sysco told them that they couldn't order enough. I guess they have plenty of business. The coffee house ended up with Shamrock Foods and someone else.

To be fair, we couldn't get US Foods to talk to us either when we were still in NC. We just gave up and decided to just use Sam's Club since there is one close by everywhere we go. We just aren't "big" enough for them to lower themselves to talk to us.
    post edited by lornaschinske - 2011/12/15 18:10:03
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2357
    Re:Where do you buy your food products/ paper goods from for your restaurant? 2011/12/15 18:35:03 (permalink)
    lleechef

I once ordered lamb racks from Sysco and the chine bone was ON!  So I called my sales rep and told him I needed racks without the chine bone and I needed them for service at 5 PM.  He personally came, picked up the racks, took them to a butcher who ran them through a band saw and returned them to me at no charge.  I have always been a big fan of Sysco.  Never once was disappointed.

lleechef, I deal with Food Services of America in Washington State. I have also had a good run with them over the years. I have found, that sometimes it not the Quality of the company but, the quality of the salesman in charge of your account. I have had Salesman, train my staff on new menu items, train my staff on slicing meats for a new deli menu, and work the front line on a busy night. I have also had salesman show up at large catering to help out on a buffet line, or work in the dish room. I know some Chefs use the power of the position to get things from their salesman, all I ever ask is that they make sure I get what I ordered...............pnwc

P.S. I forgot about the Driver, a good driver is worth their weight in gold.
    post edited by PNWCHEF - 2011/12/15 18:37:45
    jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 756
    Re:Where do you buy your food products/ paper goods from for your restaurant? 2011/12/15 18:54:35 (permalink)
    To the original poster.....If you are not willing to help the small guy, what is he to think of you when he gets big? Where were you when I needed you?
    I may be small today, but may be big tomarow. Who helped me go from small to big?
    If yer marketing yer business, shoot for us small time folk that wanna get a little bit bigger......ie...the 99%
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Where do you buy your food products/ paper goods from for your restaurant? 2011/12/16 10:58:47 (permalink)
    PNWCHEF

lleechef

lleechef, I deal with Food Services of America in Washington State. I have also had a good run with them over the years. I have found, that sometimes it not the Quality of the company but, the quality of the salesman in charge of your account. I have had Salesman, train my staff on new menu items, train my staff on slicing meats for a new deli menu, and work the front line on a busy night. I have also had salesman show up at large catering to help out on a buffet line, or work in the dish room. I know some Chefs use the power of the position to get things from their salesman, all I ever ask is that they make sure I get what I ordered...............pnwc

P.S. I forgot about the Driver, a good driver is worth their weight in gold.

You are right on both accounts.  A good sales rep is worth his weight in gold, as is the driver.  I also dealt with FSA in Anchorage and again, was very lucky to have an awesome sales rep.  If I was ever missing an item on my order he would bring it that afternoon in his car.  I always made sure the drivers had a cold beverage in the summer and hot coffee in the winter.
    chefbuba
    Re:Where do you buy your food products/ paper goods from for your restaurant? 2011/12/16 11:23:06 (permalink)
    I always feed and water my drivers, that little bit of good will goes a long way.
    sysco_mk
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Where do you buy your food products/ paper goods from for your restaurant? 2011/12/16 19:49:25 (permalink)
    I'm actually in charge of answering quality issues and recalls.
    I just read few forum topics and wanted to see where most of the restaurant owners/chefs get their products from.
    We started our business review sessions not too long ago so I just wanted to throw it out there.

Just for an FYI, 80% of Sysco customers are actually small business owners.

When you buy your products from Sam's club or Restaurant Depot and there is a quality issue or recall on certain product. How would you find out and deal with it?
    They might have cheaper prices on certain products; however, we can always ensure that our customers will receive credit/replacement right away and will be notified of the recall products within 24 hours. That way, you won't serve your customers an affected item without knowing.

I was once a customer of Sysco and US foods and I loved the way Sysco operated, which is why I decided to work for Sysco.

I'm very sorry to hear that some of you did not have a great experience with Sysco.

Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re:Where do you buy your food products/ paper goods from for your restaurant? 2011/12/17 13:13:27 (permalink)
    chefbuba

stubby77

For me, it's 10 pieces or $500

sysco for me is 350.00 minimum,,,u.s. foods is 10 cases ... cheny bros. 500.00 personally I didn't like sysco's products I was getting amoroso rolls from them and they were half stale when I got them, i do like u.s. foods  grilled chix too grill marks and the flavoring is excellent. the salesman is very friendly and accommodating, we do most our ordering thru text via phone...but like many others i do most my stuff thru sams no one else can beat there fryer oil, burger,spuds,cups,kaisers, etc....rolls, i get the croissants by the case frozen just proof them in the fridge then bake them off. my steaks i'll only get from cheny bros tho. I ain't messin with a good thing there.....thin sliced ribeye in 5 oz. portions............slap em on the grill with................ oh well thats another story....
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6171
    Re:Where do you buy your food products/ paper goods from for your restaurant? 2011/12/17 17:54:21 (permalink)
    SYSCO IS PROBABLY THE MOST INEPT FOOD COMPANY I'VE DEALT WITH IN 11 YEARS IN BIZ HERE, THEY STILL OWE ME $380.00 FROM MY FIRST YEAR IN BUSINESS, THEY CAN KMA!
    kennyb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    Re:Where do you buy your food products/ paper goods from for your restaurant? 2011/12/17 19:13:43 (permalink)
    stubby77

not sure, we pick up at the location . no minimum for pick up though.
    Chicnscoop
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Where do you buy your food products/ paper goods from for your restaurant? 2011/12/20 20:39:43 (permalink)
    US foods wouldn't even talk to us when we called them but Sysco did.
    stubby77
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Where do you buy your food products/ paper goods from for your restaurant? 2011/12/20 20:57:54 (permalink)
    Anyone work with a supplier out of upstate NY called Quantd's? I just saw one of their trucks today and am planning on calling them, but wondered if anyone was using them?
    Chicnscoop
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Where do you buy your food products/ paper goods from for your restaurant? 2011/12/21 17:00:31 (permalink)
    Haven't heard of them.
    kman160
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 160
    Re:Where do you buy your food products/ paper goods from for your restaurant? 2011/12/22 08:29:27 (permalink)
    Never heard or seen anything about them.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1