The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Where is Liketoeat?

Author Message
Mayhaw Man

  • Total Posts: 589
  • Joined: 7/5/2003
  • Location: Abita Springs, LA
Where is Liketoeat? Thu, 10/16/03 10:32 AM (permalink)
As I was just spending a few moments gently warning Lonestar about ribbing our "northern friends" I realized I haven't seen a post recently from Liketoeat, a Southern gentleman and roadfood scholar. He doesn't have an email link to his name and I was wondering if anyone (maybe Bushie or Sundancer) has heard from him.

I think I have his email at home, I will check tonight.
 
#1
    tiki

    • Total Posts: 4135
    • Joined: 7/7/2003
    • Location: Rentiesville, OK
    RE: Where is Liketoeat? Thu, 10/16/03 2:40 PM (permalink)
    Maybe he's on a road trip north,looking for something good to eat!
     
    #2
      Mayhaw Man

      • Total Posts: 589
      • Joined: 7/5/2003
      • Location: Abita Springs, LA
      RE: Where is Liketoeat? Thu, 10/16/03 2:55 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by tiki

      Maybe he's on a road trip north,looking for something good to eat!

      .
      Actually Smarty Pants, Liketoeat lives on the western edge of one of the roadfood epicenters of this or any other planet. All up and down the river between Memphis and Vicksburg you can find spectacular dining in a "casual atmosphere". Perhaps he overindulged in too many tamales or a amazing steak from Doe's or went to Abes and ate til he exploded. maybe he drove to Memphis and ate BBQ until his BBP (blood barbeque percentage) exceeded the legal limit for him to travel.

      Also, he lives in the middle of the greatest duck hunting paradise in the world. Maybe he has been out getting his blind ready to outsmart the canards that come south after it gets too cold to do whatever it is that ducks do up north (incidentally, some ducks don't leave, they just stay and enjoy the lovely weather and abundant food supply here in the beautiful, sunny South)

      Perhaps he is in his yard picking up some of this years bumper crop of pecans.

      You should be so lucky

      Then again, maybe he doesn't like us anymore

       
      #3
        lleechef

        • Total Posts: 6246
        • Joined: 3/22/2003
        • Location: Gahanna, OH
        RE: Where is Liketoeat? Thu, 10/16/03 4:24 PM (permalink)
        Come on........everybody knows what ducks do up here in the nort'!!
         
        #4
          tiki

          • Total Posts: 4135
          • Joined: 7/7/2003
          • Location: Rentiesville, OK
          RE: Where is Liketoeat? Thu, 10/16/03 4:57 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

          quote:
          Originally posted by tiki

          Maybe he's on a road trip north,looking for something good to eat!

          .
          Actually Smarty Pants, Liketoeat lives on the western edge of one of the roadfood epicenters of this or any other planet. All up and down the river between Memphis and Vicksburg you can find spectacular dining in a "casual atmosphere". Perhaps he overindulged in too many tamales or a amazing steak from Doe's or went to Abes and ate til he exploded. maybe he drove to Memphis and ate BBQ until his BBP (blood barbeque percentage) exceeded the legal limit for him to travel.

          Also, he lives in the middle of the greatest duck hunting paradise in the world. Maybe he has been out getting his blind ready to outsmart the canards that come south after it gets too cold to do whatever it is that ducks do up north (incidentally, some ducks don't leave, they just stay and enjoy the lovely weather and abundant food supply here in the beautiful, sunny South)

          Perhaps he is in his yard picking up some of this years bumper crop of pecans.

          You should be so lucky

          Then again, maybe he doesn't like us anymore




          Now now Mayhaw man---you forget,i'm in OklahomaI believe we are niether north nor south! and i passed by 3 smoking pits on the way home,here in "Green country" we are smack in the middle of the great central flyway and i'll match the pecans in the back lot with anyones-----and----its a short trip to Norlins for oysters,Kansas City for steaks, or any place else for anything else!---but i couldnt let a good opportunity slide by.

          btw---that dressing recipe looks great!
           
          #5
            Bushie

            • Total Posts: 2902
            • Joined: 4/21/2001
            • Location: Round Rock, TX
            RE: Where is Liketoeat? Thu, 10/16/03 5:52 PM (permalink)
            LTE is definitely a "Southern gentleman and roadfood scholar" as Mayhaw stated, but he's never shared his email with me. He does travel a lot, so maybe he's on the road.

            tiki, I know your part of the country is known for it's pecans, but I'll take your challenge and put our south/central Texas pecans up against yours or anyone's.

            I'll also put our Hill Country peaches up against those "also-rans" from Georgia!
             
            #6
              Mayhaw Man

              • Total Posts: 589
              • Joined: 7/5/2003
              • Location: Abita Springs, LA
              RE: Where is Liketoeat? Thu, 10/16/03 6:14 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Bushie

              LTE is definitely a "Southern gentleman and roadfood scholar" as Mayhaw stated, but he's never shared his email with me. He does travel a lot, so maybe he's on the road.

              tiki, I know your part of the country is known for it's pecans, but I'll take your challenge and put our south/central Texas pecans up against yours or anyone's.

              I'll also put our Hill Country peaches up against those "also-rans" from Georgia!



              Have to agree with you on the pecans. Those little "native" ones are sure sweet (but kind of a pain to pick). I know paperhulls are popular because of the amount of meat they contain and the ease with which it is removed, but some of the native strains (like the five old trees in my yard)are noticeably better.

              Now for peaches, I'll take the ones in Ruston, Louisiana any day.

              Here is a link to a good recipe (and sight for that matter)involving Ruston's finest

              [url][/url]http://labellecuisine.com/archives/pie/ruston_peach_crumb_pie_emeril_la.htm


               
              #7
                EliseT

                • Total Posts: 2849
                • Joined: 7/11/2001
                • Location: L.A, CA
                RE: Where is Liketoeat? Thu, 10/16/03 7:09 PM (permalink)
                Vibration Guy has also been MIA lately. Maybe we should send out search parties. Who owns a hound dog?
                 
                #8
                  Mayhaw Man

                  • Total Posts: 589
                  • Joined: 7/5/2003
                  • Location: Abita Springs, LA
                  RE: Where is Liketoeat? Thu, 10/16/03 7:35 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by EliseT

                  Vibration Guy has also been MIA lately. Maybe we should send out search parties. Who owns a hound dog?


                  I live down the street from the Sheriff in my parish, he's got a bunch of'em. (some of those sterotypes are happily accurate)
                  But it is kind of a long run to Eastern Arkansas
                   
                  #9
                    ocdreamr

                    • Total Posts: 1109
                    • Joined: 3/12/2003
                    • Location: Wilmington, NC
                    RE: Where is Liketoeat? Thu, 10/16/03 8:18 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Bushie

                    LTE is definitely a "Southern gentleman and roadfood scholar" as Mayhaw stated, but he's never shared his email with me. He does travel a lot, so maybe he's on the road.

                    tiki, I know your part of the country is known for it's pecans, but I'll take your challenge and put our south/central Texas pecans up against yours or anyone's.

                    I'll also put our Hill Country peaches up against those "also-rans" from Georgia!


                    Bushie,

                    Don't forget your 10/10's are better than Vidalia's any day!

                    OCDreamr
                     
                    #10
                      tiki

                      • Total Posts: 4135
                      • Joined: 7/7/2003
                      • Location: Rentiesville, OK
                      RE: Where is Liketoeat? Thu, 10/16/03 8:59 PM (permalink)
                      Oh Yeah!!!!----well, my Dad can lick your dad!!!and i,ve found that ALL peaches taste great cobblerized anyway! so there.....
                       
                      #11
                        Bushie

                        • Total Posts: 2902
                        • Joined: 4/21/2001
                        • Location: Round Rock, TX
                        RE: Where is Liketoeat? Thu, 10/16/03 9:29 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by tiki

                        Oh Yeah!!!!----well, my Dad can lick your dad!!!and i,ve found that ALL peaches taste great cobblerized anyway! so there.....

                        Yeah? Well, my wife can lick your wi...um, guess we better not go there.

                        OCdreamr, once again, you've proven yourself to be a woman of great taste, refinement, and intelligence. (Oh, BTW, I forgot to mention that they are actually called "1015"'s. That's OK, though, you were only 5 days off! )

                        Mayhaw, I will have to try Ruston, LA peaches. I trust your judgement, and you know enough to compare. (I ain't givin' in, though, until I know for myself! )
                         
                        #12
                          lleechef

                          • Total Posts: 6246
                          • Joined: 3/22/2003
                          • Location: Gahanna, OH
                          RE: Where is Liketoeat? Fri, 10/17/03 12:57 AM (permalink)
                          where is meowzart after her Italian excursion?????
                           
                          #13
                            seafarer john

                            RE: Where is Liketoeat? Fri, 10/17/03 1:05 PM (permalink)
                            Our Hudson Valley peaches are the greatest. Not only are they juicy and sweet and full of flavor, but they are such a problematic crop in our climate that we delight in those we get in a year with a good crop. Like grapes, peaches need to be stressed. Those softy peaches grown in the heat of the South just never will develop the character of our hardy
                            varieties.

                            BTW: I was at a fruit stand near OC MD a few years ago enjoying an early season peach locally grown and was informed by the owner that throughout the season they produce 23 varieties - from June to October.

                             
                            #14
                              Liketoeat

                              • Total Posts: 552
                              • Joined: 5/26/2003
                              • Location: Marvell, AR
                              RE: Where is Liketoeat? Tue, 10/21/03 1:21 AM (permalink)
                              Mayhaw and Bushie, thanks for your way too kind comments, and I've missed Roadfood and all you good folks, but I was out of town for over a week and then since home have been some more on the go and so busy trying to get caught up that tonight is the first time I've been to Roadfood in two weeks. I've gotten to point that I hate to go out of town because of all the catch up work which awaits one upon return.
                              And, tiki, contarary to your confusion concerning the direction to/location of good food, rather than headed north I was headed further south for some great food, enjoying it all but particulary Lasyone's in Natchitoches, LA, Abe's Ole Feedhouse (housed in old country store building) in Lawson, AR (a crossroads 10 mi. from ElDorado), and Layne's Steak House in "The Village" at Star City, AR. Maybe it's a fortunate coincidence that this trip came right before my annual blood pressure/cholesterol check up in Little Rock.
                              Oh, Mayhaw, thought of our earlier conversation concerning frog gigging when saw in that great old hardware store on Front Street in Natchitoches some barbed gigs, so guess sticking them is now legal in Louisiana. I always so enjoy Natchitoches and that area. It and New Harmony, IN, are two of my favorite spots in this entire country.
                              Does appear the pecans are going to be pretty good this year. If they turn out anything like the corn, cotton, rice, and soybeans have, we will have a bumper crop; the best in years; and fortunatley other than a perod in early Oct., we've been really blessed with great weather this fall for all the harvests. You are right, Mayhaw, about those little "wild" or "native" pecans being by far the tastiest of all, but real beasts to pick. I've got a few of them down at the pasture, but unfortuntely the trees here at the house are Stewarts, probably the sorriest of all pecans.
                              Well, let me get on to see the remaining "new news" of the past two weeks here, and enjoy Roadfood tonight while can, for appears a variety of demands for the remainder of the year will prevent my "Roadfooding" to the extent I like. Thanks again, Mayhaw and Bushie.
                               
                              #15
                                Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

                                Jump to:

                                Current active users

                                There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                Icon Legend and Permission

                                • New Messages
                                • No New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                • Read Message
                                • Post New Thread
                                • Reply to message
                                • Post New Poll
                                • Submit Vote
                                • Post reward post
                                • Delete my own posts
                                • Delete my own threads
                                • Rate post

                                2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com