Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line?

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 75 of 75
Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? Thu, 07/13/06 6:51 AM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Dr of BBQ

DaveM tell me more about "Fowl Balls", (chunks of chicken wrapped in bacon and then smoked).

How big were they? Did they use an entire strip of bacon or half. I'd like to try this, in my concession trailer.I tried the frozen pickles I read about here at The Conerstone Festival last week with very moderate sucess. We only sold 28. But the people that ordered them and came back later said they enjoyed them. At the same time we sold out of everything else every day. Gosh what a logistical nightmare, 20,000 people camped on site in the middle of no-where and both of my main suppliers 180 miles away.
Jack
You might want to e-mail DaveM. A knowlegable poster with great photos and reports, unfortunatley he no longer contributes as much here anymore. As far as the Foul Balls I'll be in that area next week and I'll take one for the team and give them a try and report back. Chow Jim

BhamBabe

• Total Posts: 879
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? Sun, 07/30/06 7:03 AM (permalink)
    Buy crinkle cut dill chips, lay them on a paper towel to drain a bit. In the meantime mix up a beer batter, add some cajun spices. Dip your chips in the batter and quickly fry in a cast iron skillet. Use brown deli mustard and/or french dressing to dip. My hubby likes em with bleu cheese dressing too.

I can remember having these when I was tiny at our weekly dinner on the grounds in the summer at Church.

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
      RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? Mon, 07/31/06 1:08 PM (permalink)
      In the early days, did McDonalds ever offer a pickle burger,or a fried pickle sandwich?

MaggieC

• Total Posts: 1
        RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? Thu, 04/10/08 8:58 PM (permalink)
        The Duchess Drive Inn in Atkins, Arkansas began serving fried dill pickles in the summer of 1963. Atkins was the home of the Atkins Pickle Plant and Mr Bernell Austin (the owner of the Duchess) took full advantage of a resource that was plentiful in his town.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
          RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? Thu, 04/10/08 9:33 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by wanderingjew
          Originally posted by berndog
          Originally posted by wanderingjew

Most New Yorkers have an amazingly hard time comprehending that Italian people/neighborhoods etc exist outside of NYC and Italy.

Wandering,
          Evidently they've never heard of Naples, North Carolina (between Asheville and Hendersonville, just off old U. S. 25)! And Gruetli-Laager, Tennessee (part Italian Swiss, part German Swiss). The list goes on and on... there is even an Italian farming community on Clarksville Highway, several miles north of Nashville, Tennessee with its own Catholic parish!
          I was aware that there was a large Italian contingent in Rhode Island, but were any of y'all aware of just how many Italian-Americans there are in West Virginia? Hey, they recruited experienced coal miners to come in there, y'know... and there's coal in them there hills in Northern Italy.
          And, in re. The Hill in St. Louis, EVERYONE oughta know about that... after all, it is The Hill what gave us (correct) the one, the only Yogi Berra! He may live in New Jersey now, but he's from Missouri, and sometimes (as he says) "ya still gotta show me."
          I'm Italian You, Ort. Carlton in Multi-Ethnic Athens, Georgia.
          P. S. There are no indigenous pockets of Italians in Georgia that I am aware of, but we do have a Hungarian community on U. S. 78 between Bremen (settled by Germans) and Tallapoosa, about 50 miles west of Atlanta... place called Budapest. No river runs through it, alas....

Ort. Carlton.

RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? Thu, 04/10/08 9:36 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by seafarer john
            Yogi Berra was from "The Hill" in St Louis.

Seafarer,
            When I mentioned that on down aways, I hadn't seen your post. Oops.
            Hey, let's hear it for Yogi! Hip-hip-HOORAY!
            Berra-ing Up Well, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.
            P. S. The imense Anheuser-Busch brewery is on Pestalozzi Street in South St. Louis. Them ain't no Frenchmen, them there... not no Pestalozzi!!

Ort. Carlton.

RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? Thu, 04/10/08 9:44 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Michael Stern
              ... the Marc Cohn song, "Walking in Memphis"....

Dearfolk,
              If anyone finds that song on a vinyl 45 record, I need it. I've never been able to find a copy.
              Feeling Cohn-headed (At The Moment), Ort. Carlton in Ever-Athenian Athens, Georgia (NOT Cohn-hatta, Mississippi!).
              P. S. The Mississippi town is actually Conehatta. It's not too far from Chunky, Scooba, and Electric Mills, and down by Shuqualak. But it's a ways from Rena Lara, Itta Bena, Nitta Yuma, and Panther Burn.

Ort. Carlton.

RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? Thu, 04/10/08 10:02 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by MaggieC
                The Duchess Drive Inn in Atkins, Arkansas began serving fried dill pickles in the summer of 1963. Atkins was the home of the Atkins Pickle Plant and Mr Bernell Austin (the owner of the Duchess) took full advantage of a resource that was plentiful in his town.

Maggie,
                Didn't either a fire or a tornado get that pickle plant out of circulation for awhile?
                We used to be able to buy Atkins pickles here in Athens, but in recent time they have disappeared. I guess it's just another locally-owned enterprise that was swallowed up by some giant like ConAgra or some such.
                In A Pickle ('Cause I Want Some Right Now!), Ort. Carlton in It's-A-Dilly Athens, Georgia.

Lillie

• Total Posts: 1
                  RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? Mon, 06/30/08 4:42 PM (permalink)
                  Where can I find the deep fried dill pickles in Rockford IL? I will be there for the holidays and would sure like to try them. HELP!!!!!

Big_Ted

• Total Posts: 186
                    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? Tue, 07/1/08 8:26 AM (permalink)
                    Lillie,
                    I'm in Freeport and in the winter time, Larz chicken shack has them. I haven't tried them because Larry started making them only after Shalom at Hog Wild BBQ started doing them. He did Memphis style BBQ and his pickles were addictive. I used to eat them and deep fried jalapenos all the time. *Sniff* I miss his place!

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6224
                      RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? Tue, 07/1/08 1:54 PM (permalink)
                      Four years of discussion and no photo of fried dill pickles. Here are the appetizers from the Carter Caves State Resort Park Lodge in eastern Kentucky.

GNeedles59

• Total Posts: 594
                        RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? Tue, 07/1/08 2:47 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by DaveM

Fried Pickles are a regular part of the menu at Muddy River Smokehouse in Portsmouth,NH.
                        They are done as ridged slices.

I had a friend that went to Univ. of New Hampshire and we went to this place. This was my introduction to fried pickles and I absolutely loved em! the sauce that came with them was killer.

bdtn

• Total Posts: 98
                          RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? Tue, 07/1/08 3:15 PM (permalink)
                          all the large food companys carry pre breaded pickles 5-6 styles.
                          they also have pre breaded green toematoes,and probably 1000
                          differnt french frys. so it might pay off to ask if they are house made
                          when you order.most of the places around(columbia tn.) use pre breaded ones as with ff and ther bbq sauce but that is another story.

picklekid

• Total Posts: 2
                            RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? Mon, 08/4/08 3:29 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

quote:
                            Originally posted by MaggieC

Maggie,
                            Didn't either a fire or a tornado get that pickle plant out of circulation for awhile?
                            We used to be able to buy Atkins pickles here in Athens, but in recent time they have disappeared. I guess it's just another locally-owned enterprise that was swallowed up by some giant like ConAgra or some such.
                            In A Pickle ('Cause I Want Some Right Now!), Ort. Carlton in It's-A-Dilly Athens, Georgia.
                            Atkins did have a tornado back this past February, but the Pickle Plant was closed 4 years ago. Deans Foods owned it and decided to consolidate operations . It moved production to Texas then dropped the Atkins label. So if you find a jar of Atkins Pickles it is a collectors item now.

Singeli

• Total Posts: 27
                              Re:Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? Mon, 02/23/09 5:46 AM (permalink)

The best I've had were at The Cock O' the Walk in Natchez, MS.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 75 of 75

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                • No New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                • Read Message
                                • Post New Thread
                                • Reply to message
                                • Post New Poll
                                • Submit Vote
                                • Post reward post
                                • Delete my own posts
                                • Delete my own threads
                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com