Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
2004/01/02 08:34:36 (permalink)

Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line?

Cookbook author, Ronni Lundy was a guest on Michael Feldman’s Whad’Ya Know when the public radio show came to Kentucky four winters ago. The show’s staff customary spends a week in communities they broadcast from, which allows Michael time to soak up local culture and news, and be ready for his guests.

Under the impression that fried dill pickles can be found in Kentucky, Michael asked Ronni about them. Ronni answered, "I think the fried dill pickle line is a little further south".

A month after that broadcast I was en route to Florida and stopped for barbeque at a restaurant south of Atlanta that served fried dill pickles as an appetizer. After ordering a big barbeque meal, I asked my server if she could bring me a single fried dill pickle to sample. She said she could, but instead brought a whole plate and wouldn’t charge me.

Well, this restaurant’s fried pickles were just flat out delicious. They were served piping hot with a Ranch dressing sauce for dipping. The breading and fat balanced the sour and they were nicely crispy. I liked them best without the Ranch.

I first heard about this snack in an Atlanta Constitution article on barbeque. The food writer characterized the fried dills served at Q. B.’s Real Pit Out-N-Back B-B-Q in McDonough as addictive.

My question for forum readers: where does the “fried dill pickle line” begin and what is the breath of fried dill pickle’s popularity. Are they mostly a Georgia thing? Has anyone eaten them in other states? Could some Roadfooder possibly have the classic fried dill pickle recipe?

Here’s the link to the Whad’Ya Know interview with Ronni Lundy:

http://notmuch.com/Show/2000/01.29.html

74 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7686
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? 2004/01/02 08:52:57 (permalink)
    This would have fit perfectly in the "regional cuisine defined by location thread". I've had fried dill pickles, however I wasn't terribly excited by them. I believe they originated in the Mississippi Delta. There were several restaurants in Memphis and and throughout Mississippi that served them. I tried them twice in Mississippi at Cock of the Walk in Natchez and at the Cherokee Inn in Jackson.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15185
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? 2004/01/02 09:28:19 (permalink)
    I'm with the Wandering Jew on this one. Genny's Diner in Louisville, Home of some of the ugliest Giant Burger's I have ever seen also brags on it's "Frickle"--Batter dipped and fried Dill Pickle slices. They are ok, but nothing (IMHO) to drive out of the way for... The Burger's, while really ugly are GREAT>
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18269
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? 2004/01/02 10:01:51 (permalink)
    I first heard about deep-fried pickles about ten years ago in a newspaper story in the Columbus (Ohio) Dispatch. If I recall correctly, the story was about a restaurant in Fostoria, Ohio where these pickles are a specialty.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? 2004/01/02 10:10:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I first heard about deep-fried pickles about ten years ago in a newspaper story in the Columbus (Ohio) Dispatch. If I recall correctly, the story was about a restaurant in Fostoria, Ohio where these pickles are a specialty.

It still amazes me that when a food trend catches on, everyone jumps on the bandwagon to try to claim fame. Back in the early 90's toasted ravioli became very popular in the NYC and Long Island area. I literally used to get into knock down drag out fights with dozen's of others who insisted, sweared and attempted to offer proof that they were invented at this one particular restaurant in Greenwich Village. Of course, knowing better, I tried to explain they were invented in St. Louis. "Impossible" everyone replied (I'm talking dozens if not hundreds of New Yorkers gave me this response). "St Louis doesn't have any Italian people" the New Yorkers retorted. I'm getting off track here, but if you will read one of the Stern's earlier books, it will mention that Fried Dill Pickles were invented in Mississippi.

Oh, on another note, I visited a brew pub in Burlington VT, and someone insisted I try a unique local sandwich, called a Hot Brown, I looked at the menu and you guessed it, it was a Kentucky Hot Brown! " /> Blasphemy! I tell you!
    Munchie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? 2004/01/02 11:21:11 (permalink)
    We had our first Fried Dill Pickle at D's Wings in Columbia, SC last spring. We were visiting our daughter, who now tells us after a visit to Central Illinois that some darn good Fried Dill Pickles are to be found at the Moon Glo, a "cook-your-own-steak tavern down the road from us in Danville, IL. Go figure. I thought we'd have to wait til we hit SC again. I haven't tried them yet...but I trust her tastebuds, she was raised with a grandpa from Kentucky and a grandpa from Missouri. (Her new friends in SC can't believe a "Yankee" was raised on real grits, greens and unsweetened cornbread.) A lot of this part of Illinois has its roots in Kentucky and Tennessee. We can't always make assumptions about people, places or things. We might be surprised!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? 2004/01/02 12:37:58 (permalink)
    Had my first deep fried dill pickle this past summer in a joint in Harrisonburg, VA. The pickle was surprisingly good, the hamburger was awful.
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? 2004/01/02 12:49:32 (permalink)
    They've served fried pickles at the Wurstfest in New Braunsfels, Texas the last 2 years. Can't say there's a long line to purchase same.
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? 2004/01/02 13:10:23 (permalink)
    Originally posted by wanderingjew re: toasted ravioli:
    Of course, knowing better, I tried to explain they were invented in St. Louis. "Impossible" everyone replied (I'm talking dozens if not hundreds of New Yorkers gave me this response). "St Louis doesn't have any Italian people" the New Yorkers retorted.

I guess New Yorkers never heard of "The Hill" in St. Louis. I've enjoyed some of the finest Italian food I ever ate at restaurants in the italian section of St Louie better known as "The Hill."

I also once tried fried dill pickles at Cock of the Walk ouside Jackson, Miss. I don't remember if that was the same as Natchez, as I was on a business trip in Jackson and the host drove us to Cock of the Walk next to a big lake. I do remember that they served everything family style, and the pickles and catfish were delicious.

Crazy question, I looked at the FAQ's and still can't figure out how to place a quote in an outlined gray box at the top of my post. Howdo I do this, and how do I post a picture. Is it as simple as pasting the jpeg into the reply box?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? 2004/01/02 13:15:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by berndog

I guess New Yorkers never heard of "The Hill" in St. Louis. I've enjoyed some of the finest Italian food I ever ate at restaurants in the italian section of St Louie better known as "The Hill."

Most New Yorkers have an amazingly hard time comprehending that Italian people/neighborhoods etc exist outside of NYC and Italy. My friends still think I'm giving them a line of "bull" when I tell them that Rhode Island has a significant Italian population.
    improviser
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 865
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? 2004/01/02 13:27:02 (permalink)
    We serve fried pickles at the pizzeria where I work. I think they're delicious. Though I shudder to think what they're doing to my arteries.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? 2004/01/02 14:31:34 (permalink)
    Yogi Berra was from "The Hill" in St Louis.
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? 2004/01/02 23:21:37 (permalink)
    I love fried dill pickles !! I work in Columbia SC and I agree with Munchie, D's wings makes great ones !! There are a number of place in Columbia that serve them and they are all good !! Especially dipped in some ranch dressing !!
    Helen Maxwell
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? 2004/01/03 00:03:27 (permalink)
    We have fried dill pickles at the Irish Lion here in Bloomington, IN. They're served piping hot with sour cream for dipping. They're marvelous!
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? 2004/01/03 00:24:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

Most New Yorkers have an amazingly hard time comprehending that Italian people/neighborhoods etc exist outside of NYC and Italy. My friends still think I'm giving them a line of "bull" when I tell them that Rhode Island has a significant Italian population.

I went to a wedding in Des Moines, Iowa, 30 years ago, or so. The bride was blonde and blue eyed but had been adopted by an Italian family. The groom was German/Scandinavian from northwest Iowa. It was fascinating. The groom's side of the church was mostly blonde and blue eyed and the bride's side was very Italian. The reception was held at an exclusive Italian country club. By exclusive, I mean that only Italians were allowed to join.

It was a very interesting experience. I had never been exposed to ethnic groups like that.

hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? 2004/01/03 00:35:25 (permalink)
    quote:

Crazy question, I looked at the FAQ's and still can't figure out how to place a quote in an outlined gray box at the top of my post. Howdo I do this, and how do I post a picture. Is it as simple as pasting the jpeg into the reply box?

berndog - look at the icons across the top of YOUR post; place your cursor over each one and it will reveal it's purpose. The one with the sheet of paper/curved arrow is 'reply with quote.' The one with the little pencil allows you to edit your own posts, something I have to do better than 50% of the time . Be careful to start your comments after the last set of brackets or your comments will be included in the grey box.

There was a recent thread on how to post pictures on Roadfood.com:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2038
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? 2004/01/03 02:18:50 (permalink)
    I listened again to the Ronni Lundy interview on "Whad'Ya Know" and found that she had answered the question about the origin of fried dill pickles. She said fried dill pickles are a Deep South thing and "started in Mississippi, just right around The Tamale Corner".

For authentic and delicious southern mountain cooking recipes, take a gander at Ms. Lundy's cookbook, Shuck Beans, Stack Cakes, and Honest Fried Chicken: The heart and soul of southern country kitchens.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6648
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? 2004/01/03 03:51:55 (permalink)
    We saw fried dill pickles on menus on the recent trip to Bham...........but didn't want to get filled up.......just wanted to eat ribs, ribs and more ribs and BBQ!!!!
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? 2004/01/03 04:56:40 (permalink)
    I just now happened onto a forum titled Deep Fried Pickles. Regretfully, I missed this earlier forum and replicated the subject here. There are some excellent posts in that forum, including one from the Sterns about the origin of this intriguing snack (complete with a nifty picture). And Lone Star provided a fried dill pickle recipe in that forum. From the posts in both forums, it's clear that fried dill pickles have a following and can be found coast to coast.

I'm now thinking that the fried dills I ate in Georgia could have come to the restaurant pre prepared and frozen. They slices were very uniform looking.
    Chumley
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 182
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? 2004/01/04 00:39:26 (permalink)
    My wife and I ate in a restaurant in Southeastern Ohio just before Xmas that had deep-fried pickles on the menu. Having eaten in this particular restaurant before, I chose NOT to try them .

They also had deep-fried olives on the menu. Being one of the aforementioned myopic NY'ers, I have to admit it seems like a strange thing to do to a pickle or an olive but I would definitely try it in the right restaurant!
    sauceman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? 2004/02/13 16:21:52 (permalink)
    Fried dills are one of my favorite appetizers, too. Mississippi is full of them. The Hollywood in the northern part of the state, below Memphis, claims to have originated them, although an Arkansas restaurateur took issue with that. The Blue and White, in Tunica, Mississippi, serves them with ranch dressing, but several establishments in the state plate them up with Comeback Sauce: Ajax Diner in Oxford and Hal and Mal's in Jackson, for example. True Mississippi fried dill devotees, like the guys at Hal and Mal's, say no spears. Pickle chips only.

Fred Sauceman
    DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? 2004/02/13 17:06:37 (permalink)
    Fried Pickles are a regular part of the menu at Muddy River Smokehouse in Portsmouth,NH.
    They are done as ridged slices.
    A great combo is an order of fried pickles and an order of "Fowl Balls", which are chunks of chicken wrapped in bacon and then smoked.
    the pickles are served with the ranch dressing, and the fowl balls with a honey mustard sauce.
    DaveM
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4538
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? 2004/02/13 18:04:28 (permalink)
    There are a handful of restaurants in Cincinnati that do serve fried dill pickles.

One in particular that I can think of, Toots (on the NE side of town), really promotes them both on their menu and occasionaly in their advertising. I think they go so far as to call them 'famous'.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? 2004/02/13 18:26:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

Yogi Berra was from "The Hill" in St Louis.

John,
    Don't say "was" - The Great One is still alive. And, as he'd say, "Hey, not only that: I ain't died yet."
    You can view him periodically on television in a commercial where he talks to a goose. And vice versa.
    One of my best friends reminds me dreadfully of Yogi Berra upon occasion. I'll have to tell him that sometime; he'll be greatly honored.
    I'll return to the Fried Dill Pickles topic momentarily.
    Not Gherkin' Anyone Around, Ort. Carlton in Sunny-For-One-Day Athens, Georgia.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? 2004/02/13 18:34:28 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    The Berryman House in Bowman, Georgia (see Roadfood Near Drive-In Theatres thread) serves fried dill pickles in spear form. I thought they were lame and overpriced for what I got, unlike the rest of the food I had there.
    The Blind Pig, a tavern/eatery here, has them on the menu all the time. Theirs are hand cut, breaded, and fried, and served with homemade ranch dressing. The food is quite good there in general, but the pickles are wondrous! "We sell a lot of 'em," I've been told several times. It's little wonder.
    Y'know, I think I'll go down there when the library closes and hame me some, with a Terrapin Rye P. A. or two. It's been a good week; I've been a good boy; I deserve to reward myself a trifle. Many thanks to y'all for the inspiration; I was looking for something to do after 9:00 tonight; someplace to go that I hadn't been to in awhile!
    I promise not to get pickled, though.
    Cucumbersomely, Ort. Carlton in Tolerably-Unchilly Athens, Georgia.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13477
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? 2004/02/13 18:46:59 (permalink)
    Ort: Thanks for the report and get pickeled if you wish. I do it occasionally but only at my residence.

Looing forward to seeing you in Nashville for the Great que trip.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? 2004/02/19 10:23:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JimInKy

For authentic and delicious southern mountain cooking recipes, take a gander at Ms. Lundy's cookbook, Shuck Beans, Stack Cakes, and Honest Fried Chicken: The heart and soul of southern country kitchens.

Thanks Jim. I've had that cookbook for several years now and find myself referencing it fairly frequently...
    stormycat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? 2004/02/19 10:56:51 (permalink)
    The Hub City Diner in Lafayette, LA cooks up some mean ones. That along with a plate of there sweet potato fries makes for a nice fatty snack. Oh yeah, don't forget there bread pudding to finish it all off.
    ardee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? 2004/02/28 18:13:23 (permalink)
    Fried pickles - the first time I ever saw fried pickles (chips) was about 10 years ago at Eddie's Heart and Soul Cafe (now closed) in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. This was probably at the time that this dish started spreading across the country. Since then I have seen them in other restaurants here and there.

Another food that has exploded across the country is the blooming onion. I had never heard of this until my wife and I ate lunch at the Polo Club in Williamsburg, Virginia, about 15 years ago. Since then I see them, or variations such as "onion petals", all over the place. Of course, this is probably because many restaurant chains have started serving them.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line? 2004/03/24 09:17:39 (permalink)
    We live in the Piedmont section of North Carolina right on the South Carolina border and several of our restaurants serve fried dill pickles on their menus. They are usually served with a ranch dressing or a dressing similar to the dressing served with onion blossoms. Most of the ones I have had are sliced dill chips but I noticed last night while watching Emeril that he was serving Memphis style and deep fried whole dill pickles.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1