Where is the best pizza in New York State?

Author
Niagara
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 984
2007/06/05 09:46:32 (permalink)

Where is the best pizza in New York State?

There is more to New York than the City (actually, most Upstaters wouldn't be unhappy if the City and the Guyland floated off into the Atlantic and sunk), let's discuss Upstate pizza.

My choice for best NY State pizza would be Buzzy's in my home town of Niagara Falls, which has been making great pizza since 1953. We were back there 2 weeks ago, and it's as good as I remembered it. Thin crispy crust, great sauce, and just enough grease.

17 Replies Related Threads

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Where is the best pizza in New York State? 2007/06/05 10:38:21 (permalink)
    Why does a question about one region have to include such a nasty comment about another region. The relationship between highly urbanized and areas that are rural and/or with smaller cities is always complex, but blaming all the problems of upstate NY on downstate is just silly.
    [url='http://www.ppinys.org/reports/2004/upstate_taxes04.pdf']Here[/url] is some good info on the complexities.
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Where is the best pizza in New York State? 2007/06/05 11:53:28 (permalink)
    Don't get upstate much, huh, Tony? Never went to college upstate and had 4 years of hearing how much your home sucks compared to the City and the Island?
    Anyway, I was trying to discuss pizza, not taxes. You folks have your own thread to discuss pizza in da City and da Guyland.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Where is the best pizza in New York State? 2007/06/05 12:13:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Niagara

Don't get upstate much, huh, Tony? Never went to college upstate and had 4 years of hearing how much your home sucks compared to the City and the Island?
    Anyway, I was trying to discuss pizza, not taxes. You folks have your own thread to discuss pizza in da City and da Guyland.

I find it interesting how someone who was so offended by narrow minded comments of others would feel their own insular comments are acceptable.

Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Where is the best pizza in New York State? 2007/06/05 12:35:32 (permalink)
    Not much sense of humor down on the Guyland, huh? I must have touched a nerve .

Chill out, and let's just discuss pizza.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Where is the best pizza in New York State? 2007/06/05 12:41:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Niagara

Chill out, and let's just discuss pizza.

If that was really your intent, you wouldn't have started out the way you did.

Pride in where you live or are from is great, but the need to knock down others to build yourself up is a different matter.
    BakersBoy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: Where is the best pizza in New York State? 2007/06/05 13:19:48 (permalink)
    Yikes! I was born and raised in New York State, about 35 miles from Erie, Pa. My ex is from Glens Falls, I graduated from Oswego State after having attended Fredonia State. I've lived in Warsaw, NY, Wellsville, NY, Bushnell's Basin, NY, Warrenton, NY, Stockton and Cassadaga, NY. In fact my hometown is closer to Baltimore than it is to NYC. Personally, I never set foot in NYC until I was 32, I'm now 52. Having said that I think that NYC has the greatest collection of wonderful food whether it is at La Madelaine, Craft, Peter Lugar's and on and on. Dim Sum on a Sunday morning? Just wonderful.

Where is the "best" pizza in New York? It depends on who is eating it. Let's hear from the folks in Plattsburg and Ripley. Or Maybe those from Findely Lake and Watertown. New York is much more than the just the City. The City does contribute to the rest of the state.

The best pizza I have ever had in NY was at Pontillo's in Dunkirk, NY. They are long since gone but I still remember the aroma when I waked through the door. That's just me.

BB
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Where is the best pizza in New York State? 2007/06/05 18:19:42 (permalink)
    Alloy's in poughkeepsie has been serving apizza since sometime in the early 30's .
    I've always liked it, but I dont consider myself a pizza maven. they must be doing something right to be in business after all these years.

Cheers, John
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Where is the best pizza in New York State? 2007/06/05 19:05:37 (permalink)
    Not all NY pizza is NY style, either. In Syracuse, one could argue that the best pizza is at Twin Trees Pizzaria and Restaurant on Avery Avenue. It's not NY style, therefore, if you only like thin crust fold it over pizza, Twin Trees isn't for you. But, it's still fantastic pizza.

My favorite NY style pizza was in Mattydale at a small mom and pop pizza joint called Paladino's Pizza. Awesome stuff. Located in Northern Lights Mall, which is now Northern Lights Plaza (they got rid of the indoor aspect to the mall years ago). I don't know if Paladino's is even still around. The last time I went there was summer of 1999. It blew the socks off any pizza I had anywhere else in the state back in the 80's and 90's. But, there's a ton of great pizza places that I liked too including NY Pizzaria (not the chain, the local one ) in Oswego; NY Pizzaria in Union Springs; the pizza place in Fredonia that burned down; some of the Cam's Pizza places - like Liverpool and Penn Yan; both Daddabbo's Pizza and Giuseppe's Pizza in Auburn; Pavone's in Syracuse; Gino and Joe's in Cicero; Sergi's in Potsdam and Canton; Gino's in Ithaca; Cafora's in Medina - and more. But I'll stop there, give others a chance to ring in their favs. Oh! one more: Village Eatery in Lockport.
    santacruz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 372
    RE: Where is the best pizza in New York State? 2007/06/06 15:03:15 (permalink)
    The best NY state Pizza all around for me was a Red Front Pepperoni.
    The Red Front is still in Troy New York. A couple other places White Pizza at Verdiles in Lansingburg and Kay's Burden Lake Pizza in Averill Park. The Tri Cities was blessed with a large population of Italian familys and usually the mother's were fantastic cooks.
    SBXSTR
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Where is the best pizza in New York State? 2007/06/06 17:39:57 (permalink)
    BakersBoy, What took you to Warsaw, NY? I grew up there in the 1960's. That part of western NY and the Finger Lakes region would be a great place to live if you could make a living there. (I happen to like winter.) Back to topic: its been too long since I had a local pizza there, but remember it to be pedestrian (but good). There was a place in Geneseo that had kind of a regional reputation, but I don't recall the name of the place. Living now in central Connecticut, I've been spoiled by Pepe's and Modern and, in Hartford, First & Last. I do miss Letchworth State Park.
    Daydrmr
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Where is the best pizza in New York State? 2007/06/11 13:08:32 (permalink)
    Scorereader, Paladino's still in the Northern Lights Plaza. My friend and I were just there the other night. You just about named all the other good pizza places in CNY.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Where is the best pizza in New York State? 2007/06/11 14:26:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Daydrmr

Scorereader, Paladino's still in the Northern Lights Plaza. My friend and I were just there the other night.

I went to middle school with Anthony Paladino and we played soccer together in a youth league. We weren't a good team, but had fun anyway. He provided ample comic relief, which made our struggles seem not so bad. I didn't realize it was his family's place until many years later. He never boasted about it. Maybe as a middle schooler he was embarrassed, as many of us are of our families at that age. Nice family, though.

quote:

You just about named all the other good pizza places in CNY.

sorry, I didn't mean to steal anyone's thunder.

sizz
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1685
    RE: Where is the best pizza in New York State? 2007/06/11 14:47:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Niagara Posted - 06/05/2007 : 09:46:32
    My choice for best NY State pizza would be Buzzy's in my home town of Niagara Falls

Correction: ..the best pizza in Niagara Falls is "La Hacienda" a funny name for the Italian restaurants but then what the hell do people from Niagara know?
    Daydrmr
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Where is the best pizza in New York State? 2007/06/11 14:51:21 (permalink)

Not at all. You mentioned a lot of good places. I'm going to have to check some of them out.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Where is the best pizza in New York State? 2007/06/11 16:21:38 (permalink)
    quote:

Not at all. You mentioned a lot of good places. I'm going to have to check some of them out.

I definatley recommend Pavone's in Syracuse, it's on South Warren St downtown.

There used to be some good pizza places near SU around Marshall St. and on Wescott Street. Can't recall the names, but even if the places are still there, I'm sure they have changes names and owners several times. I haven't been to the university area in quite a while. Maybe you can find some winners over that way. With a the large downstate NY population at SU, there's bound to be some good NY pizza near SU.

Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Where is the best pizza in New York State? 2007/06/13 09:52:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by sizz

quote:
    Niagara Posted - 06/05/2007 : 09:46:32
    My choice for best NY State pizza would be Buzzy's in my home town of Niagara Falls

Correction: ..the best pizza in Niagara Falls is "La Hacienda" a funny name for the Italian restaurants but then what the hell do people from Niagara know?

More than those in the Bay area (my sister & brother live in Fremont). La Hac is where all the tourists who think they know what's what go to get "real Eyetalian" pizza. It has coasted on it's reputation for years.
    sizz
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1685
    RE: Where is the best pizza in New York State? 2007/06/13 10:17:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Niagara Posted - 06/13/2007 : 09:52:57
    More than those in the Bay area (my sister & brother live in Fremont). La Hac is where all the tourists who think they know what's what go to get "real Eyetalian" pizza. It has coasted on it's reputation for years.

....................lol
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1