Where should I eat in Nashville, Tennessee

Author
slacker787
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
2008/05/31 23:18:38 (permalink)

Where should I eat in Nashville, Tennessee

Hey I'm going on A trip to Nashville on Tuesday and was wondering if anyone knew any good restaurants, diner's, or local fast food. Thanks

24 Replies Related Threads

mlinkinhoker
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 183
    RE: Where should I eat in Nashville, Tennessee 2008/06/01 12:21:27 (permalink)
    Way too many but here's a few:
    Ron's BBQ & Fish - meat & 3 (some of the best vegetables in town - cooked right, slow with plenty of pork) and in my opinion the best hot fish (whiting) sandwich
    Prince's Hot Chicken
    Bolton's - hot chicken, hot fish, best fried pork chop anywhere! with a side of baked spaghetti
    Mahalia Jackson's Fried Chicken and Mayo's Fried Pies - go here for fried pies
    Arnold's - meat & 3 lunch only
    Henpeck Market - pimento cheese grilled with tomato & bacon, biscuits, burgers and desserts
    Loveless - good but I think a little over rated and over priced
    Ed's - for hot fish
    Swett's - two locations, original and Farmer's Market - meat & 3
    400 Degees - hot chicken
    Pancake Pantry - breakfast - great pancakes especially the sweet potato ones with hot syrup, plain or cinnamon, but the hashbrowns are to die for

And the list goes on and on - tell me what part of town you will be in and what types of food/experiences you want and I can better direct you.

ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3010
    RE: Where should I eat in Nashville, Tennessee 2008/06/01 12:28:58 (permalink)
    We loved the Henpeck Market and as mlinkinhoker indicates, the pimneto cheese grilled with tomata and bacon was fantastic. The Elvis with grilled bologna and pepperjack cheese sounded good but was untried. All the desserts I sampled were really good.
    MellowRoast
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2009
    RE: Where should I eat in Nashville, Tennessee 2008/06/01 12:55:25 (permalink)
    Not to be missed, period:

Sylvan Park Restaurant
    4502 Murphy Rd
    Nashville, TN 37209
    615-292-9275ý

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10517
    RE: Where should I eat in Nashville, Tennessee 2008/06/01 14:16:23 (permalink)
    For me, Nashville has three absolute "must eats", all of them mentioned by mlinkinhoker..... Pancake Pantry, Arnold's Country Kitchen and Prince's Hot Chicken. All three of these are among the very best Roadfood places, anywhere!
    Bluemaxx
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 465
    RE: Where should I eat in Nashville, Tennessee 2008/06/01 16:28:32 (permalink)
    This is great news because like slacker787, I will be heading to Nashville too form July 1 - 7. Unforunately for my Roadfood trips, we have family in this area so that means alot of meals at home. On the other hand, I am going to try to hit Pancake Pantry, Swett's, Sylvan Park and Prince's Hot Chicken Shack in that order if possible. Any other places that are true "CAN'T MISS" places?
    mlinkinhoker
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Where should I eat in Nashville, Tennessee 2008/06/01 21:24:00 (permalink)
    Martin's BBQ Joint in Nolensville (south edge of town) is a can't miss for some good bbq - redneck taco is outstanding and I love their fries.

After this weekend we have a new place to try, we are going to head to Slick Pig in Murfreesboro for some more of those smoked wings and to try their other stuff.

Tex's BBQ off Murfreesboro Rd. is only open M-F and is TX style BBQ but the sides are enough to make me think every time I visit that I might forego the meat and get just vegetables.

Rotier's down near Vandy makes a great burger but I also love their meat and three selections as much or more than the burgers they are so famous for.

I honestly think the vegetables at Ron's are the best in town - far better than Swetts, Sylvan Park or any of the others.

BTW - Sylvan Park now has 3 locations - original, the one we wentto on Franklin Road in Melrose on the Roadfood Tour last year and now in Donelson in the old Donelson Plaza. Haven't tried their newest location as I just discovered it last week but will try this week and report back.

It's a little 'upscale' but Vittles is good for breakfast or meat & 3 - original location that has character is down on Lebanon Road just east of downtown and is so small and cramped and full of truckers and such but I love it. The nicer one is out here in Brentwood.

Most people won't venture in there but The Hermitage Diner is an institution. It's good enough for the police so it's good enough for me. I think they are open 24/7 - I've done their burger which is nothing fancy but is good and reminds me of old fashioned drugstore counter burgers. And I've done their meat and 3 at lunch and it was good.

City Cafe is a meat & 3 with several locations and is so so.

Dotson's in Franklin gets left off the list a lot but it's as good as most any meat & 3 in town.

And then there is the gut busting Monell's - average to good depending on the day. Weekend evening menus are the best though a little more expensive. All are in good locations - historic old buildings so it's hard to miss on atmosphere.

I know it's a deli but Phillip's Deli (Brentwood and downtown in the Arcade) is awesome. They make absolutely THE BEST potato salad anywhere.

B&C at Farmer's Market is above average with bbq & meat & 3.

Bro's Cajun Cafe is a good meat & 3 with a cajun twist. They also have Cajun specialties. It's always a hard choice for me to make - which way to go.

The Daily Dish on Hillsboro Road out in the Grassland community towards Franklin is a new meat & 3 run by a real chef. The food is a little pricier than some but was very good - so good I bought two plates for me because I couldn't choose just one. Small nd easy to miss up on the side of a hill. Only a few tables and very crowded the Friday night I visited recently.

I'm sticking with RoadFood type places but there are some other places that I love if you are looking for more upscale dining or ethnic dining many of which definitely have RoadFood character(like Korean that is next to a vet).
    Bluemaxx
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 465
    RE: Where should I eat in Nashville, Tennessee 2008/06/02 09:41:49 (permalink)
    WOW mlinkinhoker!! Great suggestions. Thank you so much!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Where should I eat in Nashville, Tennessee 2008/06/02 09:44:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mlinkinhoker

Way too many but here's a few:
    Ron's BBQ & Fish - meat & 3 (some of the best vegetables in town - cooked right, slow with plenty of pork) and in my opinion the best hot fish (whiting) sandwich
    Prince's Hot Chicken
    Bolton's - hot chicken, hot fish, best fried pork chop anywhere! with a side of baked spaghetti
    Mahalia Jackson's Fried Chicken and Mayo's Fried Pies - go here for fried pies
    Arnold's - meat & 3 lunch only
    Henpeck Market - pimento cheese grilled with tomato & bacon, biscuits, burgers and desserts
    Loveless - good but I think a little over rated and over priced
    Ed's - for hot fish
    Swett's - two locations, original and Farmer's Market - meat & 3
    400 Degees - hot chicken
    Pancake Pantry - breakfast - great pancakes especially the sweet potato ones with hot syrup, plain or cinnamon, but the hashbrowns are to die for

And the list goes on and on - tell me what part of town you will be in and what types of food/experiences you want and I can better direct you.

Great list!!!--and I add a hearty YES to the Pancake Pantry---a MUST!!!!
    mlinkinhoker
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Where should I eat in Nashville, Tennessee 2008/06/02 22:32:44 (permalink)
    Bluemaxx - your timing is perfect. Second Annual Music City Hot Chicken Festival is again on July 4th. http://www.musiccityhotchickenfestival.com/
    utvols
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Where should I eat in Nashville, Tennessee 2008/06/05 12:59:09 (permalink)
    Hey mlinkinhoker,

Didn't Bolton's and 400 degrees close? I know Hot Chicken joints have been closing as fast as it's been opening lately.

Also, I hear great reviews for White Trash Cafe for a meat and three place and Fat Moe's for an incredible drive thru cheeseburger. Neely's BBQ ftw!!!

If it hasn't been mentioned Rotier's was recently on the Travel Channel as a best burger and I say I have to agree. Mustard, pickles, and onions on French bread. Probably one of my greater burger experiences. I wish Tennessee Trash would jump into the conversation because he could light this board up.
    mlinkinhoker
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Where should I eat in Nashville, Tennessee 2008/06/08 12:42:52 (permalink)
    No Bolton's is still alive and well - I've seen Miss Dolly twice in the last couple of months, most recently last weekend. They are 'bridging' out with their mobile kitchen doing festivals and such but a MUCH more limited menu - chicken on a stick (yor choice of heat level I think) and whiting sandwiches.

As for 400 degrees - haven't been there in about a month but think they are still alive and well. Several 'hot' chicken places opened on the east side both north and south of the Cumberland - in Donelson and Madison and those are te ones I noticed closing as quick as they open. Not sure why but they aren't advertising and for the mst part are in sort of unusual out of the way locations so that might be part of it. And heat isn't for everyone.

I haven't tried White Trash but Fat Mo's has locations all over and makes one of the most incredible burgers ever as well as rings and shakes! Neely's used to have a place not TOO far from me on Nolensville Rd and it was awesome - their wings were a perfect blend of sweet, hot and smoky but they are so far from me now that I haven't been in a long time.

As I said in my thread about the Franklin Food & Spirits Festival, the wings fom Slick Pig in Murfreesboro were incredible. I haven't tried Martin's wings yet but I need to and I think I heard him saying he has the white bbq sauce that he suggests for something. For smoked chicken I really like it.

Rotiers is good but burgers are kind of like steaks to me - I am not sure that anybody makes one as good as I do at home (careful selection/sourcing of the meat and ample/extra fat!) so I never quite feel like 'raving' about burgers or steaks.
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2329
    RE: Where should I eat in Nashville, Tennessee 2008/06/08 12:52:48 (permalink)
    My experiences at White Trash Cafe have been fairly consistent. Very good veggies, average meats, and awful service.
    starryrach
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Where should I eat in Nashville, Tennessee 2008/06/10 01:17:37 (permalink)
    Sylvan Park Restaurant and Monell's!!!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10409
    RE: Where should I eat in Nashville, Tennessee 2008/06/10 03:36:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by starryrach

Sylvan Park Restaurant and Monell's!!!

IMHO--Other than the Fried Chicken at Monells, Everything else there is just at or below average.
    johnreed
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 58
    RE: Where should I eat in Nashville, Tennessee 2008/06/10 06:28:25 (permalink)
    I don't think there's anything about Sylvan Park that's just "at or below" average.

The place blows me away, even after 20 years in Nashville. And I'm admittedly the most finical, fussy, choosy, exacting, difficult and picky customer in Davidson County.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    RE: Where should I eat in Nashville, Tennessee 2008/06/10 10:25:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by johnreed

I don't think there's anything about Sylvan Park that's just "at or below" average.

The place blows me away, even after 20 years in Nashville. And I'm admittedly the most finical, fussy, choosy, exacting, difficult and picky customer in Davidson County.

If you would have read my post more carefully, you would have noticed I was commenting on Monell's ONLY. I made no reference to Sylvan Park. I've never been to Sylvan Park but intend to do so on my next trip to N'ville.
    MellowRoast
    RE: Where should I eat in Nashville, Tennessee 2008/06/10 13:00:58 (permalink)
    Hey, Foodbme, don't be rough on the feller. I read it the same way!

However, there would be no doubt if you had said the following:

"IMHO--Other than the fried chicken, everything else at Monell's is just at or below average."

marilynvaughn
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Where should I eat in Nashville, Tennessee 2008/06/10 13:19:30 (permalink)
    You should try Bucky's in Columbia if you find yourself a little south of Nashville. They have the best rolls - they're like dessert - a great meat & 3 - don't miss their homemade banana pudding either!
    ULVER
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 226
    RE: Where should I eat in Nashville, Tennessee 2008/06/10 17:41:31 (permalink)
    I will have to decide where to eat in Nashville, in about a month myself. And knowing some places aren't gonna make the time frame isn't fun!

One of my best friend's, has known Arnold, of "Arnold's Country Kitchen" for many, many years. I am told I will have some of the best rare roast beef to be had in Nashville. Being one of my very favorites, I hope it lives up to the praise I have heard.

Nashville has several "Sir Pizza" locations, and I HAVE to do that. It was my very favorite pie as a teen, and I haven't had it since. Truly a unique pizza!

I think another must has to be a burger at "Rotiers." The French bread kinda turned me off at first, but it must work. Too many people have told me they are deliciously different.

I also love fresh, southern-style vegetables. The city has tons of country cooking mainstays. I just don't know what I am gonna do on this front. Always up for suggestions
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    RE: Where should I eat in Nashville, Tennessee 2008/06/10 19:27:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MellowRoast

"IMHO--Other than the fried chicken, everything else at Monell's is just at or below average."

MellowRoast:
    Sorry to hear that you suffer from the same reading disorder as johnreed. There should be no confusion about my post. I had an excellent English teacher in high school and was an English major in College so I don't think I any need suggestions on how to compose a sentence. If you like your version better, then that's just fine. The bottom line is, IMHO, everything at Monell's in Franklin AND Nashville sucks EXCEPT for the Fried Chicken. That is unless you think good Roadfood equates to large quanities of tastless, non-descript, masses of "stuff". I've eaten at both Monell's locations. As previously stated, I've not eaten at Sylvan Park.

mlinkinhoker
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Where should I eat in Nashville, Tennessee 2008/06/10 21:24:21 (permalink)
    ULVER - try the Sir Pizza on Bell Road just east of Nolensville Road. The owners are nice and the quality consistent. We love Sir Pizza but foundthe location in Franklin to be completely inconsistent in quality and more often than not lately, disappointing. So we looked for another on and found this one. There are other locations around town but I can't speak to them.

As for Monell's - it just varies. It's an experience the chicken is good and the Saturday evening dinner is good with fried chicken, pretty darn good catfish, decent pulled pork (not smoked BBQ but nice and moist).

As for Sylvan Park, unless the original location is much better han the one on Franklin Road, it's good but it's not outstanding and I think there are better places. And I really have a problem with places that can't maintain consistency between multiple locations. That being said, I do still eat there from time to time.

I grew up eating at Angelo's Wayside Inn and The Elite in my hometown of Jackson, MS. Both were run by Greek families and had just wonderful homestyle foods with a few Greek touches thrown in as well as a few 'upscale' items. Places like that are hard to find these days. It seems most 'Greek' restaurants aren't Greek at all and there aren't any Greeks working there. They are standard run of the mill gyros & souvlaki. But we have a couple of good places here that remind me of those old days to some degree. If you want a touch of an old Greek style place there are two - the first, Athens Family Restaurant on Franklin Road in an old Mrs. Winners, was started by a husband and wife who have parted ways. This is like the Greek places I grew up with. Not fancy just good simple food. Avoid the gyro here - pre-shaped strips of meat, not spit roasted and shaved off. The lamb special is some of the best lamb you'll put in your mouth. Just melts in your mouth. The bifteki or Greek hamburger patties are also another favorite as are his potatoes and fries. Place is open 24 hours and serves breakfast that folks rave about but I've never been there. Desserts are a must including the two phyllo wrapped custards - both are SO rich and SO wonderful! And the baklava is some of the best I've had in years.

The ex-husband has started another place after a brief stint in Greece. His place is Yanni's Mediterranean Grill just a few blocks away on West Iris in the quaint Berry Hill neighborhood. Everything is good to excellent and I haven't settled on a favorite yet, still trying them all a little at a time, and a little more upscale Greek foods and the same desserts are the same wonderful. The atmosphere is a little nicer and more relaxing.
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2329
    RE: Where should I eat in Nashville, Tennessee 2008/06/10 22:04:24 (permalink)
    Actually, the original Sylvan Park on Murphy Rd. is consistently better than the one on Franklin.
    MellowRoast
    RE: Where should I eat in Nashville, Tennessee 2008/06/11 02:32:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Foodbme

quote:
    Originally posted by MellowRoast

MellowRoast:
    Sorry to hear that you suffer from the same reading disorder as johnreed. There should be no confusion about my post. I had an excellent English teacher in high school and was an English major in College so I don't think I any need suggestions on how to compose a sentence. If you like your version better, then that's just fine. The bottom line is, IMHO, everything at Monell's in Franklin AND Nashville sucks EXCEPT for the Fried Chicken. That is unless you think good Roadfood equates to large quanities of tastless, non-descript, masses of "stuff". I've eaten at both Monell's locations. As previously stated, I've not eaten at Sylvan Park.

While I won't post a copy of my English degrees on this thread, I wasn't making any suggestions - just clarifying why I misunderstood your statement. I could have given additional reasons, but didn't think it necessary.

Apparently, you misunderstood my statement, so we're even.

mlinkinhoker
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Where should I eat in Nashville, Tennessee 2008/06/11 22:11:02 (permalink)
    Update - tried the Sylvan Park in Donelson down in the old Donelson Plaza Shopping Center for lunch today. Now I understand why everyone likes Sylvan Park. Much better than the one on Franklin Road. It was quite good. I wouldn't say it's the best but it's quite good.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1