The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Where should we eat next?

Change Page: 12345 > | Showing page 1 of 5, messages 1 to 30 of 133
Michael Stern

Where should we eat next? Thu, 04/15/10 3:16 AM (permalink)
Roadfood.com eating tours have become the highlight of our social calendar! Where next? Potential delicious destinations for the Fall, 2010, tour include:

• Santa Fe and environs (concurrent with the New Mexico State Fair)
  • Memphis and the Mississippi Delta
  • Portland and the Oregon coast
  • Charleston and the Lowcountry

Where would you like to go?

gregforman

Re:Where should we eat next? Thu, 04/15/10 6:39 AM (permalink)
    Charleston and the Lowcountry.  We live here and could suggest some great eating that this web site hasn't reviewed.

bethgrd

• Total Posts: 320
      Re:Where should we eat next? Thu, 04/15/10 7:12 AM (permalink)
      charleston and low country please

buffetbuster

Re:Where should we eat next? Thu, 04/15/10 9:16 AM (permalink)
        Wow!  Those are four excellent options, not a loser in the bunch.  But Santa Fe would definitely be the first choice, as New Mexico is my #1 state for Roadfood.  The only thing that worries me is how could we work such a small place as the Bobcat Bite into the schedule?

Memphis would be my next choice, although it would be bbq heavy.  Not that there is anything wrong with that!

Sundancer7

Re:Where should we eat next? Thu, 04/15/10 9:24 AM (permalink)
          Michael Stern

Roadfood.com eating tours have become the highlight of our social calendar! Where next? Potential delicious destinations for the Fall, 2010, tour include:

• Santa Fe and environs (concurrent with the New Mexico State Fair)
          • Memphis and the Mississippi Delta
          • Portland and the Oregon coast
          • Charleston and the Lowcountry
          Where would you like to go?

Michael, I have been to all four locations extensively and all are great.  It might be easier for most to attend either Mississippi/Memphis or Charleston.

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

buffetbuster

Re:Where should we eat next? Thu, 04/15/10 9:34 AM (permalink)
            Because it has so many unique foods, I always though St. Louis would be a good candidate for a Roadfood eating tour.  Imagine a weekend of eating toasted ravioli, gooey butter cakes, slingers and St. Paul sandwiches.  Then again, I may be trying to justify another trip to Ted Drewes!

susanll

• Total Posts: 1077
              Re:Where should we eat next? Thu, 04/15/10 9:54 AM (permalink)
              buffetbuster

Because it has so many unique foods, I always though St. Louis would be a good candidate for a Roadfood eating tour.  Imagine a weekend of eating toasted ravioli, gooey butter cakes, slingers and St. Paul sandwiches.  Then again, I may be trying to justify another trip to Ted Drewes!

I second St Louis

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

• Total Posts: 1350
                • Roadfood Insider
                Re:Where should we eat next? Thu, 04/15/10 9:57 AM (permalink)
                I've always thought the southern coast of Maine, from Portsmouth to Portland, would make a great tour.  Not just lobsters either (though there'd be nothing wrong with that!) - Flo's dogs, The Clam Shack, Two Lights, Maine Diner, Colucci's...

MiamiDon

Re:Where should we eat next? Thu, 04/15/10 10:18 AM (permalink)
                  Are all those places open in the autumn?

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

• Total Posts: 1350
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    Re:Where should we eat next? Thu, 04/15/10 10:40 AM (permalink)
                    MiamiDon

Are all those places open in the autumn?

You're right, that would probably have to happen before Labor Day, wouldn't it?

jhawklrk

• Total Posts: 1
                      Re:Where should we eat next? Thu, 04/15/10 10:51 AM (permalink)
                      As unconventional as it may sound ... the State of Kansas has a plethora of unique and kitschy dining destinations. We may be windy, flat and aesthetically boring BUT!!! we know what good, honest food is. From kolatches at Two Doors Down in Cuba (a cover story for Nat Geo back in the '80's) to Cozy Inn burgers in Salina to (my mother sat at the same counter back in the '40's!); of course, BBQ in KC and the surrounding area... my personal fave is Guy and Mae's in Williamsburg.
                      And as much as I hate to rip off GF from FN, the Cafe on the Route in Baxter Springs is amazing. I Haven't been to Bobo's in Topeka or Brint's in Wichita but Grinders in the River Market (here in KC) is worth every minute. I don't want to play favorites to my stomping grounds, but you can find any cuisine for your dining pleasure here in the metro, and never get bored. 
                      Lawrence boasts a huge population of Earth/Eco friendly destinations. Lindsborg has Scandinavian food at it's finest and I am certain that there are a million little hidden gems across the plains that are just waiting to be found.
                      I recognize from your past musings that a trip through the Wheat state would be a diversion from you usual trip itineraries. Just thought I'd throw it out there for the heck of it.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                        Re:Where should we eat next? Thu, 04/15/10 11:20 AM (permalink)
                        Portland would make it accessible to us west coasters
                        and kirk, welcome.
                        KC and area would be interesting too.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15064
                          • Roadfood Insider
                          Re:Where should we eat next? Thu, 04/15/10 11:22 AM (permalink)
                          In Addition to the locations already mentioned I would submit-
                          Kansas City
                          Milwaukee
                          Phoenix/Tucson
                          (Winter travel only)
                          Denver (Non-Winter travel only !)

Good Food being the highest priority in the selection, but ease of travel and accessability to the whole Roadfood Community merits some consideration as well.

katherinecurry

• Total Posts: 39
                            Re:Where should we eat next? Thu, 04/15/10 2:47 PM (permalink)
                            Good heavens, obviously anywhere Roadfood goes, it's bound to be delicious, but...mmm....Memphis.

buffetbuster

Re:Where should we eat next? Thu, 04/15/10 3:20 PM (permalink)
                              jhawklrk-
                              Welcome to Roadfood!  You don't have to convince me about the restaurants in Kansas.  Lots of great places to eat and it looks like you have some interesting suggestions for future trips.

If you haven't seen it before, make sure you check out this excellent guide on Kansas restaurants.

http://www.kansastravel.org/kansasrestaurants.htm

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                                Re:Where should we eat next? Thu, 04/15/10 3:25 PM (permalink)
                                My vote is for Santa Fe. If I don't get to try one of those gorgeous green chile cheeseburgers from Bobcat Bite, I'm gonna go crazy crazier. 

Captain Morgan

• Total Posts: 503
                                  Re:Where should we eat next? Thu, 04/15/10 3:30 PM (permalink)
                                  Might I suggest the eastern shore of North Carolina.

The Calabash area has several excellent seafood
                                  joints that serve that special Calabash style, lightly
                                  fried.  A few hours to the north will put you in range
                                  of some the legendary eastern North Carolina style
                                  bbq joints, the ones that still do whole hog all night
                                   over wood coals.

Very few areas provide the choices that ignite such
                                  fierce loyalty and debate....not to mention the stunning
                                  views from the Outer Banks, and the still rural farmlands
                                  of the eastern plains.

just a thought...

MiamiDon

Re:Where should we eat next? Thu, 04/15/10 3:30 PM (permalink)
                                    Michael Stern,

Having read the reports of several of the Roadfood.com tours in the past years, am I correct in presuming that the tours are confined to regions within a limited radius of some central starting/ending point (like the pairing of Rochester and Buffalo last fall)?  And that the Tours are not a means for you to discover new restaurants, but for the group to tour establishments known to you together?

buffetbuster

Re:Where should we eat next? Thu, 04/15/10 3:37 PM (permalink)
                                      MD-
                                      On the first Roadfood bus tour, we went to Max's Italian Beef, which the Sterns had never visited before.  And in Nashville, that was also their first time to Henpeck Market
                                      <message edited by buffetbuster on Thu, 04/15/10 3:42 PM>

Michael Stern

Re:Where should we eat next? Thu, 04/15/10 3:48 PM (permalink)
                                        The trick is to do the tour in a place with some Roadfood restaurants we know are great (so it's not a waste of time for the group) but others yet to be tried, where there is some variety of cuisine (how many people want to sample 7 variations of the same dish in a row?) and -- this is a tricky part -- where there are great eateries that can accommodate a sudden onslaught of 50 or 100 Roadfooders. (I thought we tested the limit of that last one at Prince's Hot Chicken in Nashville; conversely, the BBQ's of Texas weren't the least bit fazed.) And primarily, we want to go somewhere that has some regional specialties that most of us simply can't get at home. The limited radius is important, too, since I think most people who participate would rather spend their time eating and socializing than riding on a bus.

MiamiDon

Michael Stern,

Having read the reports of several of the Roadfood.com tours in the past years, am I correct in presuming that the tours are confined to regions within a limited radius of some central starting/ending point (like the pairing of Rochester and Buffalo last fall)?  And that the Tours are not a means for you to discover new restaurants, but for the group to tour establishments known to you together?

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
                                          Re:Where should we eat next? Thu, 04/15/10 4:04 PM (permalink)
                                          I'd selfishly suggest Chicago, but since you've already been here, let me steer you towards our good friends to the north.  A tour of southeastern Wisconsin, including Kenosha, Racine, and Milwaukee would fit your requirements on all counts.  Kringles, frozen custard, fish fries, and a bunch of great burger drive-ins could make for a fine tour.

Plus, SE Wisconsin in the fall?  Are we talkin' beautiful foliage or what?

And if you get there early enough in the season, maybe buffetbuster could finally experience The Nite Owl...

Buddy

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
                                            Re:Where should we eat next? Thu, 04/15/10 4:49 PM (permalink)
                                            Michael Stern

...where there are great eateries that can accommodate a sudden onslaught of 50 or 100 Roadfooders...

Say no more:

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
                                              Re:Where should we eat next? Thu, 04/15/10 4:50 PM (permalink)
                                              For us guys with a short attention span, could someone list the places already visited in past tours.

Ivyhouse

• Total Posts: 329
                                                Re:Where should we eat next? Thu, 04/15/10 5:13 PM (permalink)
                                                Santa Fe would be my first choice, followed by Charleston.  The only concern about Santa Fe would be the timing with the state fair and how this might impact flight and hotel availability.

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
                                                  • Location: Hoschton/Braselton, GA
                                                  Re:Where should we eat next? Thu, 04/15/10 5:28 PM (permalink)
                                                  buffetbuster

I've heard a lot about the pizza in St. Louis. 

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                                    • Location: Rentiesville, OK
                                                    Re:Where should we eat next? Thu, 04/15/10 5:49 PM (permalink)
                                                    Memphis---centrally located and LOTS of good food---not to mention the BLUES!!!!

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                                      Re:Where should we eat next? Thu, 04/15/10 6:29 PM (permalink)
                                                      I vote for Portland and the Oregon coast.

RockyF

• Total Posts: 24
                                                        • Location: Santa Fe, NM
                                                        Re:Where should we eat next? Thu, 04/15/10 8:31 PM (permalink)
                                                        Clarifications:  Santa Fe & Albuquerque are about 60 miles apart.  NM State Fair is in Albuquerque Sept. 10-26 (closed Mon. & Tues. this year).  Santa Fe's annual Fiesta kicks off Thursday night Sept. 9 with the burning of Zozobra (he's kind of like Burning Man, but has been around longer), then runs through that weekend.  The State Fair affects at least the price if not the availability of Albuquerque accommodations but not particularly Santa Fe (I think that people who are coming in for the fair want to be in Albuquerque).

One of the fun State Fair eating experiences is a hole-in-the-wall concession operated by a consortium of churches that features around 20 flavors of pie made by volunteers.  Also on the subject of pie, Sat. Sept. 11 should be the annual Pie Festival in Pie Town, NM (several hours south & west of Albuquerque).

Would love to see an eating tour in north-central NM or at least someplace that you can fly to non-stop from Albuquerque.  I will say that a tour here would be of less interest for people who don't like spicy food (it's not that you can't get New Mexican food done bland, but I just don't see why on a Roadfood tour, for which authenticity is a major point).

RockyF in Santa Fe

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9565
                                                          • Location: Gilbert, AZ
                                                          Re:Where should we eat next? Thu, 04/15/10 9:43 PM (permalink)
                                                          RockyF

Clarifications:  Santa Fe & Albuquerque are about 60 miles apart.  NM State Fair is in Albuquerque Sept. 10-26 (closed Mon. & Tues. this year).  Santa Fe's annual Fiesta kicks off Thursday night Sept. 9 with the burning of Zozobra (he's kind of like Burning Man, but has been around longer), then runs through that weekend.  The State Fair affects at least the price if not the availability of Albuquerque accommodations but not particularly Santa Fe (I think that people who are coming in for the fair want to be in Albuquerque).

One of the fun State Fair eating experiences is a hole-in-the-wall concession operated by a consortium of churches that features around 20 flavors of pie made by volunteers.  Also on the subject of pie, Sat. Sept. 11 should be the annual Pie Festival in Pie Town, NM (several hours south & west of Albuquerque).

Would love to see an eating tour in north-central NM or at least someplace that you can fly to non-stop from Albuquerque.  I will say that a tour here would be of less interest for people who don't like spicy food (it's not that you can't get New Mexican food done bland, but I just don't see why on a Roadfood tour, for which authenticity is a major point).

RockyF in Santa Fe

Another option in NM would be to coordinate the trip with the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta! It's in October, 2nd thru the 10th. http://www.balloonfiesta.com/
                                                          The decision to go would need to be made fairly soon because the Fiesta draws big crowds and would need to book rooms early. It would be a great combination of Hot Air Balloons, Beer, Beans and Burrito's Could visit places in both Albuquerque and Santa Fe!
                                                          They have a group tour hospitality package as well:
                                                           http://www.balloonfiesta.com/html/group-tour-hospitality-package.html
                                                          The Sandia Resort is on the North side of ABQ and would put us closer to Santa Fe and the Balloon Fiest.as well.
                                                          http://www.sandiacasino.com/pages/hotel.html
                                                          <message edited by Foodbme on Thu, 04/15/10 9:53 PM>

Ivyhouse

• Total Posts: 329
                                                            • Location: Bethesda, MD
                                                            Re:Where should we eat next? Fri, 04/16/10 8:21 AM (permalink)
                                                            RockyF

Clarifications:  Santa Fe & Albuquerque are about 60 miles apart.  NM State Fair is in Albuquerque Sept. 10-26 (closed Mon. & Tues. this year).  Santa Fe's annual Fiesta kicks off Thursday night Sept. 9....
                                                            A tour here would be of less interest for people who don't like spicy food (it's not that you can't get New Mexican food done bland, but I just don't see why on a Roadfood tour, for which authenticity is a major point).

RockyF in Santa Fe

Thanks for the info, Rocky.  I like spicy food and I have wanted to visit Santa Fe, so it sounds perfect.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12345 > | Showing page 1 of 5, messages 1 to 30 of 133

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com