Where to buy Rye Flour

Author
Rex
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 109
2005/07/26 14:46:18 (permalink)

Where to buy Rye Flour

Hello all,

I am hoping that someone here knows where on the east coast (preferrably NC) that I can purchase Rye Flour. I am thinking about trying my hand at making rye bread and have never given any thought to ever seeing rye flour in the grocery stores or health food stores.

Hoping someone can tell me what places might sell it.

Thanks much

17 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18895
    tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2033
    RE: Where to buy Rye Flour 2005/07/26 15:36:56 (permalink)
    In Mass, both Stop and Shop and Big Y sell it. I'll bet that your store does too. Try the specialty section (not the regular flour section). Look for a brand like Hogtins Mill or Red Mill, and 1 lb bags. They also sell flour from a half dozen other grains.
    Rapunzll
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Where to buy Rye Flour 2005/07/26 16:02:15 (permalink)
    If you can't find it at your local grocers, check out the local natural food store/co-op.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13549
    RE: Where to buy Rye Flour 2005/07/26 17:10:59 (permalink)
    Just out of curiosty and without googleing the site, what is rye flour uses for and how is the taste different? I guess I have heard of rye bread. Perhaps that is what the use is for?

Paul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Where to buy Rye Flour 2005/07/26 17:24:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Just out of curiosty and without googleing the site, what is rye flour uses for and how is the taste different? I guess I have heard of rye bread. Perhaps that is what the use is for?

Paul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN

Paul, you just will have to locate a deli and get a corned beef or hot pastrami on rye bread. You have not lived until you have eaten one of these. Corn bread is wonderful.........hush puppies are fine but good rye bread is the best.
    Rex
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Where to buy Rye Flour 2005/07/27 10:38:53 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for the info everyone. I don't know why I have never paid any attention to rye flour until now....but I guess it just happens that way sometimes.

I will check around and see what I can find. I am familiar with the Hodgson Mill brand name so I will see what I can find.

Thanks again.
    sauceman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: Where to buy Rye Flour 2005/07/27 10:57:51 (permalink)
    A good mail-order source is Falls Mill in Belvidere, Tennessee:

fallsmill.com

Fred Sauceman
    Jim in NC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Where to buy Rye Flour 2005/07/27 11:18:25 (permalink)
    Check out this site. (Pop-up blocker will come in handy.) Excellent products. I'm particularly fond of the grits (white and yellow) and the cornmeal. I haven't used their rye, but the buckwheat flour is also very good.

The Old Mill of Guilford
    (North of Greensboro)

www.oldmillofguilford.com/
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Where to buy Rye Flour 2005/07/27 12:58:54 (permalink)
    Don't know if you ever get over toward Chapel Hill, but Weaver Street Market, in Carrboro, sells bulk rye flour -- the kind you scoop out of the bin, and can buy whatever quantity you want. Weaver Street sells a lot of other good stuff, but that's a plug just because I like the place.
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 2033
    RE: Where to buy Rye Flour 2005/08/31 16:39:27 (permalink)
    Just got this info.....
    Bob's Red Mill 800 553 2258 or www.bobsredmill.com
    Rex
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Where to buy Rye Flour 2005/08/31 16:47:14 (permalink)
    Thanks Gordon, I am not far from Carrboro (outside of GSO) and can make that trip...or maybe not if gas continues going up (3 price increases today alone).

I finally found some Hodgson Mill Rye at Harris Teeter for $2.89 per 5 lb bag.

I find that rye flour is very, very coarse and in order to make bread with it you will either blend in regular bread flour or add straight gluten. I tried mixing the bread flour in and that did not turn out as well as I hoped it would. It did not rise like I wanted it to.

But I have enough to continue experimentations on it.

But buying bulk would be much better of an idea.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Where to buy Rye Flour 2005/08/31 21:43:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rex

Thanks Gordon, I am not far from Carrboro (outside of GSO) and can make that trip...or maybe not if gas continues going up (3 price increases today alone).

I finally found some Hodgson Mill Rye at Harris Teeter for $2.89 per 5 lb bag.

I find that rye flour is very, very coarse and in order to make bread with it you will either blend in regular bread flour or add straight gluten. I tried mixing the bread flour in and that did not turn out as well as I hoped it would. It did not rise like I wanted it to.

But I have enough to continue experimentations on it.

But buying bulk would be much better of an idea.

Rex, what is the ratio you mix rye to white flour? I've been trying to make some Latvian Rye for the longest time. It starts to rise then dies... Lleechef sent me some pointers, but I think when she said the sourdough starter is to blame, it may be.. Have yet to concoct a new starter.. ARGHHH... (My recipe calls for 8 cups rye, 2 cups white)..

Rex
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Where to buy Rye Flour 2005/08/31 22:57:15 (permalink)
    UncleVic,

Mine was a 1 to 4 ratio with the bread flour being the 1 and the rye being the 4 (of course).

Now when I make regular white bread I use a mixture of king arthur's bread flour with the King Arthur "unbleached" all purpose flour. I buy both and pour them into one container and mix them. I like the flour and like the way it cooks. Anyway that was what I used for the bread flour portion of the recipe.

I prefer adding in my yeast dry to the flour and dry ingredients instead of "soaking" it first (which is what I call it when you add warm water to it and let it sit). I do not like working with liquid yeast. Just me.

I have a good friend that does the sourdough starter thing and he seems to do fine with regular bread. But he uses honey in place of sugar where I use extremely fine sugar. My white bread tends to dry out after a day or so and I have been told it is the eggs doing it.

But with the rye...that is a whole different thing. The flour is so coarse and void of anything that works for bread. I have been told that you have to have a good bread flour in it to help "bind" it and for the gluten. The gluten of course is the key to making the bread. Rye does not have that. Not sure about Wheat flour. However I did do pretty good with the Wheat. But it dried out real bad too.

What I was going to do was look for gluten. Throw some in along with the bread flour and see what happens. It's all about experimentation.

One thing that I know is an indisputable fact is location, altitude, oven. I can't tell you how many times I have had this emphasized to me. They all play a part. Each and every oven cooks differently. One person can take a recipe and make it perfectly. Let someone else somewhere else try it and follow the recipe to the letter and it won't even look like what it is supposed to. Go figure.

Bread making is no easy task and there is definitely an art form to it. Because one loaf will have one thing wrong and the next will have something else wrong and no matter what I do I always forget to do something. It is frustrating but most of the time the mistakes are still fun to eat.

I did however think it interesting that the simple rye bread recipe that I used did not call for any oil, lard or eggs and only called for 2 tbs sugar, rest being 1/2 cup molasses. And for those who do not know ...the molasses is what gives it the dark rich brown color...like pumpernickel. I think that is what mine was more like. It had the pumpernickel look and feel but the recipe said rye. I do want to try a marble rye next. That should be fun.

I'm not sure I answered your question....but I tried [:P]

Mark in VT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Where to buy Rye Flour 2005/08/31 23:25:59 (permalink)
    I think King Arthur Flour here in Vermont is outstanding !
    You can order online here:

http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/items/

Enjoy !
    Mark in VT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Where to buy Rye Flour 2005/08/31 23:28:26 (permalink)
    Looks like Michael beat me to it.
    I drive 1.5 hrs just to buy this product !
    We can get a couple types of flour in the grocery stores, but they carry so many different specialty flours at their store, it's worht the trip !
    Rex
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Where to buy Rye Flour 2005/09/08 11:57:25 (permalink)
    I can get 3 different brands of King Arthur flour at most any of the stores in our area...no rye brand though. They make an unbleached all purpose flour, a bread and whole wheat. I love 'em. The only decent flour out there that is not bleached. And Wal Mart sells King Arthur for like $1.96 a 5lb bag...which I think is pretty good.
    Mark in Ohio
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 181
    RE: Where to buy Rye Flour 2005/09/08 13:25:52 (permalink)

In Ohio, you can buy rye flour from almost any Amish dry goods store.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1