Where to eat - Chicago and southern WI

Author
AnneP
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2003/05/19 23:01:40 (permalink)

Where to eat - Chicago and southern WI

Heading for Chicago, Beloit, Madison, Racine and possibly Milwaukee very soon. Any ideas for lunch & dinner places? We'll probably have dinner in hotels. Thanks.

21 Replies Related Threads

Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1455
    RE: Where to eat - Chicago and southern WI 2003/05/20 08:07:31 (permalink)
    Here's an idea...don't have dinner in your hotel! There's a world of food in Chicago and most of it isn't happening in the hotels. I haven't lived there in 17 years, but I'm sure someone can help you out. I will say, try just about any place in Greektown.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Where to eat - Chicago and southern WI 2003/05/20 11:14:20 (permalink)
    Lake Geneva, Wisc. has some good local places to eat. Popeye's is downtown area near the main pier. Great view of the Lake and public beach. Variety of foods, they cook chickens on a spit out back and make a great ceremony on bringing them in to the kitchen through the dining area. Burgers are great but my favorite is the Skordalia, a Greek garlic/potato appetizer.(let me put emphasis on the garlic!) Down the same street is Scuttlebutts, also view of the Lake. Last time I was there their food was Swedish/American and good. As far as in Chicago itself, yes Greektown and Chinatown have a lot to offer but there are many many good places to eat all around. Pappadeux Seafood Kitchen out by Woodfield Mall has great cajun seafood, Gale Street Inn on North Milwaukee has great ribs, then there are the Indian places on Devon. Too much to mention!
    Badwaiter
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Where to eat - Chicago and southern WI 2003/05/20 12:20:25 (permalink)
    Of course any place on the roadfood list is a must visit. I am very partial to Mr. Beef. If you are looking for the Chicago-style hot dog experience I must without reservation recommend Hot Doug's. Located on Roscoe about a block east of Western Avenue it takes the hot dog and turns it into a culinary experience. A hot dog with all the fixins comes with the standard trimmings but you get carmelized onions instead of plain onions. You choose the dog steamed, grilled, or fried. It goes on from there. There are always many specialty sausages to choose from. Recent visits have featured alligator and venison sausage. The thuringer grilled with all the fixins can't be beat. I second the ribs at Gale Street Inn. Biasettis is also great for BBQ ribs that have never been within miles of wood or a smoker.
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Where to eat - Chicago and southern WI 2003/05/20 12:37:31 (permalink)
    forget the hotels . . .

try Hillery's BBQ in North Chicago (847) 473-1722 carry out only. Excellent ribs and tips.

Look up Elegant Farmer in the Roadfood listing. the pie is remarkable and you will be in the area.

Kewpee Lunch is also has a roadfood listing and recommended in Racine.

Speed Queen in Milwaukee is roadfood recommended, but I was disappointed.

Have fun.
    ksgirlinchi
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Where to eat - Chicago and southern WI 2003/05/23 11:19:04 (permalink)
    Try local legend Zephyr's Ice Cream parlor on Wilson and Ravenswood on the North Side of Chicago - great food and open late! Instead of dinner at your Hotel get Chicago style pizza - skip the trendy Pizzaria Uno/Duo and head to Gino's East on Rush where all of the booths/tables are decorated with grafitti (bring a marker to add your own) or Home Run in on 31st Street - if you head west of the city try Salerno's on Grove Ave in Berwyn (located not far from Mr.Beef)
    quote:
    Originally posted by AnneP

Heading for Chicago, Beloit, Madison, Racine and possibly Milwaukee very soon. Any ideas for lunch & dinner places? We'll probably have dinner in hotels. Thanks.
    lvw
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Where to eat - Chicago and southern WI 2003/05/23 11:55:17 (permalink)
    For the love of God, don't pass up a butter burger at Solly's in Milwaukee. See the Stern's review here: http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=615

Lisa
    tjr
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 136
    RE: Where to eat - Chicago and southern WI 2003/05/23 12:08:55 (permalink)
    Kopp's Frozen Custard in Milwaukee [url]www.kopps.com[/url] is a must. No other frozen custard is anything like it. Check the web site for flavor of the day - anything with nuts or candy will be absolutely rammed with them.

There's indoor seating at the Bluemound location, and outdoor seating on Layton. Also, Layton location is EZ off & on from the freeway.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: Where to eat - Chicago and southern WI 2003/05/23 12:15:10 (permalink)
    The last time I was in Milwaukee, I stopped at Kopp's and had a great shake and a butter burger. They are great and super clean.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Hastyman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: Where to eat - Chicago and southern WI 2003/05/23 21:02:21 (permalink)
    Kopp's, definitely. Do NOT order the double cheeseburger unless you feel like eating an entire cow!
    pigface
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Where to eat - Chicago and southern WI 2003/05/23 23:21:35 (permalink)
    Chicago,
    Chicago Dogs for Breakfast
    Extra Sport peppers, the rest of the day will be Great
    Tacohead
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Where to eat - Chicago and southern WI 2003/05/24 10:36:25 (permalink)
    quote:

In Racine, there's an independent Italian restaurant on every corner. You can't go wrong with Buona Vita, Infusino's, Dino's, Da Vinci's, Wells Brothers... the best of them all is in an old house called Totero's. Only open a few hours of the day, you literally eat in Mama's kitchen. This place defines what this site is about.

Madison, being a college town, has an inordinate amount of pubs, taverns, sports bars, etc..All authentic, independent and wonderful. I ate at one every day while I was there (3 weeks straight) and sadly didn't write any of them down. Probably because you can pick one at random and not be disappointed!

Hit Greek Town for Chicago. Sure it's trendy and gimmicky. But I love the Greek restaurants there!
    jessicazee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: Where to eat - Chicago and southern WI 2003/05/24 22:04:43 (permalink)
    I agree with Tacohead about the pizza places in racine - I was weaned on Wells Brothers pizza (cheese, sausage & mushroom), but have to admit I never really understood the mystique of Totero's I do love the ambiance, the divery fake-brick exterior and coziness, but I think their "famous" lasagna is listless and the sauce is too sweet. I should try it again, though -- it's been a while.

Growing up in Racine and now a 13-year resident of Milwaukee, here's a few other recommendations:

Racine:
    -Kewpee Lunch, as mentioned before.
    -The Yardarm Bar & Grill - don't miss their fish fry & sand dollar potatoes. Here's their website: http://www.foodspot.com/yardarm/
    -BBQ Time (1215 DeKoven Ave.) has great tips.
    -J & W Drive-In - an old A & W, with excellent hand-pressed cheap burgers & crinkle fries.
    -The Hob-Nob (on Sheridan Rd. almost to Kenosha) fancy place lost in the Jackie Kennedy-era of decorating. White leather bar chairs, big steaks and a perfect neon sign bring anniversary-celebrators in droves.

Milwaukee:
    -Albanese's on E. Keefe - but only for the homemade egg pasta with marinara & meatballs and the jars of house wine. The ravioli seem pre-made.
    -Speed Queen BBQ (I think it's on this site somewhere...)
    -Bombay Sweets - vegetarian & very inexpensive Indian & Pakistani food served on paper plates. Also dozens of tasty pasrties and snack mixes in front deli case. VERY casual. 3401 S. 13th St.

Many others. Will think of more tomorrow. So hungry now.

jennycola
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Where to eat - Chicago and southern WI 2003/05/27 15:27:46 (permalink)
    In Chicago - good Irish pub is Cullens on Southport (west of Wrigley field), good hot dog joint in Skokie called Herm's Palace on Dempster, good Italian in Evanston at Trullo on Central St., good breakfast/lunch place in Evanston - Prairie Joe's (also on Central Street), timeless classic breakfast in Wilmette at Walker Brothers Pancake House. I second the pass on Pizzaria Uno/Due, there are others that are better with less crowd, I like Gino's or Ranelli's on Lincoln is good too, I could go on and on!
    I second the recommendation for Popeye's in Lake Geneva, it's awesome, great soup and sandwiches, good place to celebrate any event.
    There are so many great places to eat - it's a diner's paradise!
    Cubs Fan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Where to eat - Chicago and southern WI 2003/05/27 15:40:22 (permalink)

Mr. Beef, for an Italian Beef sandwich, on Orlean Street (about 3 blks from a Brown line stop on Chicago Street)is a regular stop on the way to Wrigley Field whenever I'm in town to see the Cubs. You get back on the Brown line going north and transfer to a north bound Red line train to the Addison Road stop if you going to Wrigley.

Pizza parlors like Pizzeria Uno, Giordano's, etc. will get you a great Chicago deep dish, double crust, souffle, etc. pizza. If you are a visiting this site, then you are going to find postings for places where the locals eat. I'm sure there are some good restaurants in Chicagoland hotels, but if you want to get some foods that are unique to the locale, browse the listings in this forum.

mousec
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 303
    RE: Where to eat - Chicago and southern WI 2003/06/22 15:35:05 (permalink)
    For Mexican in Chicago Nuevo Leon can not be beat. They are located on 18th street in the city.
    rugger
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Where to eat - Chicago and southern WI 2003/08/10 18:16:39 (permalink)
    just found this forum but, if your still coming this way i have a few recomendations for the SE wisconsin area.
    -As mentioned Wells brothers pizza in Racine
    - Mike and Angelos pizza in Racine on HWY 20 (washington ave). This is my favorite pizza place in the area.
    -The Spot Drive In, In Kenosha, Wi Located on 75th Street (hwy 50) and 22nd Ave. This is an old fashioned burger joint that hasn't changed in it's 50+ years of service. Real car hops that hang your food on the window.
    - Tenuta's Italian Deli. 52nd st (hwy 158) and 32nd ave. Real italian meats and cheeses with a smell that makes you think your in a small Italian town buying your daily groceries. They have an outside eating area where they serve up homemade sausages and orangina. They also make sandwhiches to order if you would like.
    -last but not least. Franks diner. This is copied from a review but "The oldest continuously operating lunch car diner in the US, Franks Diner is a local favorite. In 1926, six horses pulled the diner to the spot where it stands today. Many celebrities, including Bela Lugosi, Duke Ellington, Liberace and the Lawrence Welk orchestra, have visited Franks. Don't miss our infamous homemade bread, cinnamon rolls, muffins and desserts, as well as daily breakfast and lunch specials.t the breakfast is great and the atmosphere makes it worth while. "Downtown Kenosha, 508-58th Street, 262-657-1017."
    There are more i could recommend but i picked some of the best local places. hope i dint waste to much space or peoples time.
    Cheers, rugger
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 753
    RE: Where to eat - Chicago and southern WI 2003/08/10 19:24:51 (permalink)
    And for breakfast,for God's sake,dont forget Lou Mitchell's right next to the Union Station on Jackson [for some reason it hasnt been put on the site yet!!Whats up with THAT Michael?]or any of the Ann Sathers....[ www.annsather.com ]
    Julia I
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Where to eat - Chicago and southern WI 2003/08/11 00:11:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rugger

-The Spot Drive In, In Kenosha, Wi Located on 75th Street (hwy 50) and 22nd Ave. This is an old fashioned burger joint that hasn't changed in it's 50+ years of service. Real car hops that hang your food on the window.

It's great to hear that The Spot is still in business. Back in 1980-81 I interned in a store that was across the street from there. It was a real treat to go there after work to pick up a cheeseburger or some fried shrimp or whatever, then ride my bike to the lake so that I could sit on the rocks and picnic. There used to be a bar/restaurant on the same block called the Sunnyside, or something like that. The menu always had luscious huge homemade ravioli, which the owner's mother prepared for him to bring in. (Shades of "The Restaurant"!) I wonder if it is still there. . .
    rugger
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Where to eat - Chicago and southern WI 2003/08/11 00:19:45 (permalink)

Ah yes Spot and a picnic by the lake, one of the things that are worth remembering in life. Sunnyside is still there, but i think it is under new managment now. Since you have been here last they have opend another spot on the north side of town. But i dont think the grill is as well seasoned as the origianl, the burgers just don't have the same taste.
    Cheers.
    danimal15
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Where to eat - Chicago and southern WI 2003/08/11 12:49:03 (permalink)
    DON'T EAT DINNER AT YOUR HOTEL!!!

Other advice already here is quite good. If you're downtown, I'd recommend Greektown (choose any restaurant on that stretch of Halsted) and Italian Village, on Monroe.

If you're willing to go a little farther afield, try Stefani's on Fullerton near Ashland. Their Chicken Vesuvio is arguably the best in town (at least now that Seven Hills in Glenview is closed). Also they have great pasta.

Watch out for Pizzeria Uno and Pizzeria Due, however. I and some others on this web site have had bad experiences there recently. For Chicago style pizza that's more dependable, try Lou Malnati's. There's one downtown just across the north branch of the river from the Loop.

Another great dinner place I love in Lincoln Park is The Athenian Room on Webster just west of Halsted. Get off the brown line at Armitage, walk east two blocks to Halsted and north two blocks to Webster and turn left. Chicken Kalamata is the dish to have. It's a half-chicken prepared Greek-style with a very crunchy skin served over a plate of vinegar-soaked french-fried potatoes. Not to be missed.
    glf142
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Where to eat - Chicago and southern WI 2003/08/12 13:15:31 (permalink)
    quote:

One suggestion---DON'T EAT AT ANY OF THE HOTELS!!!!!!!! They're too expensive! Stop at Miller's Pub. It's on Wabash ST, near the intersection of Adams Street in central Chicago. (Adams Street in Chicago is the cleanest street in the nation to me!)
    Loved their steak and salad entree when I went there on vacation in the summer of 1999! They have a lot of autographs pictures of sports stars who have eaten or appeared at that restaurant.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1