The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 5 of 11, messages 121 to 150 of 323
Author Message
mdick

  • Total Posts: 2
  • Joined: 10/13/2008
  • Location: New Bremen, OH
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Thu, 10/16/08 2:07 AM (permalink)
The Grub Steak on North Main used to be a great place for steaks. Pretty reasonable and good atmosphere. Been a few years since I've been there.
 
    brittneal

    • Total Posts: 1265
    • Joined: 9/17/2006
    • Location: fairborn, OH
    RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Thu, 10/16/08 3:42 AM (permalink)
    I use to love the Old Hickory. Sitting there and watching the slabs turning on the rottiserie. My go to dinner was the 22oz sirloin. So bib they fold it to fit the okate. It was 9.95. LAst time it was over 20 bux. What a shame.britt
     
      Bonk

      • Total Posts: 505
      • Joined: 5/30/2007
      • Location: Cincinnati, OH
      RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sat, 10/25/08 10:13 PM (permalink)
      Finally visited Cena in the Dayton Mall area for my birthday with my girlfriend and two friends of ours.

      We had done the Brazilian thing in Cincinnati (Amor de Brazil), so we pretty much knew what we were getting into.

      We went at 4:30, before the Saturday night dinner rush, and it was understandably empty. It started to fill up after we were there awhile.

      Amor de Brazil was $45, and this was $32, so I wasn't expecting the same quality and/or quantity of meats we got there, but it was about the same. Lots of high-quality meats, and there were only two people bringing them out, but since it wasn't crowded the cadence was perfect.

      The flank steak was incredible. All four of us said it was our favorite. Medium rare, nice and juicy. They also had bacon-wrapped beef, filet mignon, Brazilian sausage, Chorizo, Parmesan pork, bacon-wrapped chicken, lamb chops, leg of lamb...a couple other I can't remember.

      Almost all were excellent. The Parmesan pork was a little overdone, but that was my only complaint. Dinner came with cheese rolls, which were also outstanding, plus white and rye breads, mashed potatoes, and two sauces.

      The salad bar had everything from traditional salad items to cured ham, salami, cheeses, soups. Just about everything I tried was awesome.

      I absolutely loved Amor de Brazil, and I'd rank Cena a little lower than that, but for $13 less per person I'll be going back again for my girlfriend's birthday.

      Servers were very friendly and very cooperative. One of my friends likes very rare meat, and one of the gauchos went out of his way to accomodate him. Only slight problem with service was when we wanted to leave, their credit card machine had to reboot, so it took an extra 15 minutes for us to go, but we weren't in a major hurry so it wasn't a big deal.

      Highly recommended.
       
        brittneal

        • Total Posts: 1265
        • Joined: 9/17/2006
        • Location: fairborn, OH
        RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sun, 10/26/08 2:07 PM (permalink)
        Has anyone trie Rudys in the Germantown Opera House. Its even cheaper.
        britt
         
          Russ Jackson

          • Total Posts: 2257
          • Joined: 11/28/2007
          • Location: Xenia
          RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sun, 10/26/08 2:19 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by brittneal

          Has anyone trie Rudys in the Germantown Opera House. Its even cheaper.
          britt



          I will try to get there this week thanks britt it looks great...Russ
           
            Russ Jackson

            • Total Posts: 2257
            • Joined: 11/28/2007
            • Location: Xenia
            RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sun, 10/26/08 2:54 PM (permalink)
            If you haven't tried Bill's Doughnuts in Centerville Ohio you might want to. Its my favorite in Ohio. If you know of any others I would like to know your favorites in the area...Russ
             
              MiD

              • Total Posts: 16
              • Joined: 10/27/2008
              • Location: Dayton, OH
              RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Thu, 10/30/08 12:59 PM (permalink)
              Am new here, enjoying this thread. I need to know if anyone knows of a great pizza place in Chattanooga. I ask here, instead of a Chattanooga thread, because I think Dayton area residents will understand what I'm looking for. We really like Troni's. That's probably the best pizza around. Used to love Cassano's but agree it's not always the same anymore. My whole family LOVES Wooster St. Pizza (in New Haven, Conn. - Pepe's is our fav, Sally's & Modern very good also as is Dayton St. Apizza (yes "Dayton" St.). I think the Connecticut pizza is the best food anywhere. My mouth waters as I write. I'd drive back to CT just for Pepe's if I could get more time off). Soooooooo, if anyone can recommend a New Haven style pizza place, or a Troni's style, in Chattanooga, I'd really appreciate it.
              We like "NY style" pizza also (as I guess I would classify Troni's - ate a lot of Brooklyn, Long Island pizza when we lived there years ago. Flying Pizza is close sometimes, but not quite there, for my tastes.
              Thanks for any info.
               
                donw9876

                • Total Posts: 289
                • Joined: 3/1/2008
                • Location: Daytonati, OH
                RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sat, 11/1/08 10:56 PM (permalink)
                My wife and I ate at Rudy's in Germantown this weekend.

                Our basic take is that the food is OK - fresh and well prepared, just not memorably seasoned or presented - but the table service really needs to be reconsidered. Service is very disorganized, IMO. I can't recommend the place very strongly right now.

                The setting - the old opera house - was enjoyable and interesting. The walls and the tables are decorated with old local interest photos and newspaper articles.

                We did notice that when the place was almost full, around 8:00, we only saw individuals at two tables being served "all you can eat". So the carne assada plate is probably the best way to experience their food for the first time. The "gaucho with sword" thing seems to be the reason for the popularity of these places, but it appeared to me that most people order the regular dinners instead.

                It took us about 15 minutes after we were seated just to get a waiter's attention and get served soft drinks. We ordered the carne assada for two - which is basically a plate of meats of your choosing, which are the same meats that are served tableside, and sides for two.

                We sat for over 20 minutes with only our drinks and no salads, and we noticed that another table that had been seated after us was already eating their main course and the owner/"gaucho" was at their table carving meat. I finally flagged down our waiter, a young kid with a mohawk who seemed very distracted, and asked him for our salads. He started telling me how the kitchen was "backed up" and I pointed out that the other table was eating already. He just got defensive and said the food would be out as soon as it was ready. So 25+ minutes after ordering he finally brought out our salads. (That was really his fault, he was not paying attention to us at all.)

                The food arrived 20-25 minutes later. What each person gets as sides with carne assada is a small dish of black beans, a small cup of a cilantro, onion and tomato salsa, a small cup of what the server described as "Brazilian potato salad", and a mound of very dry yellow rice.

                The meats we ordered filled a small oval plate - probably about a lb. of meat - and were as follows:

                Marinated sirloin - flavorful, somewhat fatty, and fairly rare. This was the best meat of the bunch.

                Roasted pork. Tender, mostly white meat. Ok.

                Marinated chicken wings. Ok.

                Two links of a sausage. The sausage was very fine grained, but not very memorable. I would skip this.

                Pineapple. (Ok, not meat, but roasted and served along with the meat.) Yummy.

                Again, the sirloin was our favorite meat.

                My wife and I were satisfied by this meal but not overstuffed, and if we felt that we would not be abandoned again for 20 minutes, we might have ordered dessert and coffee.

                While were were sitting, my wife noticed a waitress who was going around asking the other servers if they were covering one couple's table. She didn't find anyone assigned so she waited on them herself. So, service seems to be an issue here.

                IMO you probably need to order the "all you can eat" dinner in order to get proper attention here (IE, from the owner).
                 
                  brittneal

                  • Total Posts: 1265
                  • Joined: 9/17/2006
                  • Location: fairborn, OH
                  RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sun, 11/2/08 2:08 AM (permalink)
                  Im sure that ordering off the menu could be a good option. The only down side is that the fewer people doing the tableside thing detracts from ths service rather than enhances it. I would think they would need more people in order to allow them to keep coming out with fresh and new dishes at a timely pace. Its like going to a buffet at the height of the dinner hour and seeing an empty parking lot-Time to drive on!
                  i definitely want to check it out, but will give them a bit to gey their feet wet.
                   
                    Bonk

                    • Total Posts: 505
                    • Joined: 5/30/2007
                    • Location: Cincinnati, OH
                    RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Tue, 11/4/08 5:52 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by donw9876

                    My wife and I ate at Rudy's in Germantown this weekend.

                    Our basic take is that the food is OK - fresh and well prepared, just not memorably seasoned or presented - but the table service really needs to be reconsidered. Service is very disorganized, IMO. I can't recommend the place very strongly right now.

                    The setting - the old opera house - was enjoyable and interesting. The walls and the tables are decorated with old local interest photos and newspaper articles.

                    We did notice that when the place was almost full, around 8:00, we only saw individuals at two tables being served "all you can eat". So the carne assada plate is probably the best way to experience their food for the first time. The "gaucho with sword" thing seems to be the reason for the popularity of these places, but it appeared to me that most people order the regular dinners instead.

                    It took us about 15 minutes after we were seated just to get a waiter's attention and get served soft drinks. We ordered the carne assada for two - which is basically a plate of meats of your choosing, which are the same meats that are served tableside, and sides for two.

                    We sat for over 20 minutes with only our drinks and no salads, and we noticed that another table that had been seated after us was already eating their main course and the owner/"gaucho" was at their table carving meat. I finally flagged down our waiter, a young kid with a mohawk who seemed very distracted, and asked him for our salads. He started telling me how the kitchen was "backed up" and I pointed out that the other table was eating already. He just got defensive and said the food would be out as soon as it was ready. So 25+ minutes after ordering he finally brought out our salads. (That was really his fault, he was not paying attention to us at all.)

                    The food arrived 20-25 minutes later. What each person gets as sides with carne assada is a small dish of black beans, a small cup of a cilantro, onion and tomato salsa, a small cup of what the server described as "Brazilian potato salad", and a mound of very dry yellow rice.

                    The meats we ordered filled a small oval plate - probably about a lb. of meat - and were as follows:

                    Marinated sirloin - flavorful, somewhat fatty, and fairly rare. This was the best meat of the bunch.

                    Roasted pork. Tender, mostly white meat. Ok.

                    Marinated chicken wings. Ok.

                    Two links of a sausage. The sausage was very fine grained, but not very memorable. I would skip this.

                    Pineapple. (Ok, not meat, but roasted and served along with the meat.) Yummy.

                    Again, the sirloin was our favorite meat.

                    My wife and I were satisfied by this meal but not overstuffed, and if we felt that we would not be abandoned again for 20 minutes, we might have ordered dessert and coffee.

                    While were were sitting, my wife noticed a waitress who was going around asking the other servers if they were covering one couple's table. She didn't find anyone assigned so she waited on them herself. So, service seems to be an issue here.

                    IMO you probably need to order the "all you can eat" dinner in order to get proper attention here (IE, from the owner).


                    Thanks for the report -- I too was curious about that place, being a big fan of Brazilian steakhouses. Sounds like I'd rather spend the extra $10 to eat at Cena.
                     
                      donw9876

                      • Total Posts: 289
                      • Joined: 3/1/2008
                      • Location: Daytonati, OH
                      RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Tue, 11/4/08 11:51 PM (permalink)
                      Even if the table service at Rudy's improved to par with established restaurants, I would be grudging about going back. It feels like a very long drive for food that doesn't seem that special and not that good a value.

                      Having said that, I went because we were curious, and I had read several glowing reviews of Rudy's before going. Since I had never been to a Brazilian steak house before, I have nothing to compare it to.
                       
                        brittneal

                        • Total Posts: 1265
                        • Joined: 9/17/2006
                        • Location: fairborn, OH
                        RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Thu, 11/6/08 12:23 PM (permalink)
                        Carriage Inn, EnonOH. We had eaaten there several times in the past with decent results. Its a nice place with homemade food.
                        Our food was terrible. I ordered the sausage bisquits and gravy. It was just before lunch and the dealis when they run out-its gone for the day(breakfast served all day otherwise). I was in luck and they had plenty left. To start with the bisquiys were so stale they crumbled when cut in to. They were dry and crunchy to chew. The sauce had congealed intolumps and the meathad to be hamburger. It had a milk flavor and the met was actually tough.
                        My wife had the open face roast beef. It was served as a "closed" sandwich" cut in half and smotherd with the brown gravy. First there was 1 scimpy slice of meat(before cuttint) It was an en end cut and you could see the gristle in it. I finally got the server over and she looked at and told me it was correct!. We proceded to finish our meal. I had run out of iced tea half way thru and never saw the server till she brought the check and took our plates. Never did ask me about a refill.
                        On the way out I told the manager it was one of the worst meals We had eaten. Her words were "No its not." She also told us we should have informed the server!
                        I would have given them another chance as we had goood food before but after the attitude we recieved-No more.
                        britt
                         
                          MiD

                          • Total Posts: 16
                          • Joined: 10/27/2008
                          • Location: Dayton, OH
                          RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Fri, 11/14/08 1:01 PM (permalink)
                          Has anyone had BREAKFAST at Tank's? We're looking for good breakfast places, hopefully locally run. We don't really like Golden Nugget - too much grease and sugar. First Watch we like, but of course it's a chain. We like the Blueberry Cafe, it's been good each time we've been. Any suggestions?
                          FWIW, Lupi's in Chattanooga has deLICIOUS pizza.
                           
                            NYPIzzaNut

                            • Total Posts: 3127
                            • Joined: 3/8/2008
                            • Location: Sardinia, OH
                            RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Fri, 11/14/08 10:32 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Russ Jackson

                            I just got back from Troni's. I ordered a Large Pepperoni and Garlic New York Style and a White Pizza with Garlic also. We also ordered 6 Garlic Rolls. The atmosphere was not impressive very simple no frills at all. I drove past the place the first time as is sits in a 4 tenant sort of strip. I walked in and instantly knew I was in the right place. The smell of proper pizza dough is one of those things that leaves an impression in ones mind for life. The service was adequate at best. I ordered the pies and waited. The rolls came and were excellent. It took a while for the pizza to come to the table. This was another good sign. It came to the table lava hot and bubbly with a crust I have never seen in this town. Smelled great and tasted excellent. Hands down the best Pizza I have ever had in Ohio. The place is only 13.6 miles from my house and I have lived here for a decade. Shame on me and thank you Roadfood. The white pizza was excellent. The white pizza was ordered for my daughter who met us at Troni's. If you love Pizza and live in the area or even remotely close to the area you must try it. Never shall I eat at Rock-a-Fellas or Flying Pizza again. NYPIzzaNut I thank you for finding this gem located at 1314 E Dorothy Lane Kettering Ohio 937-643-9921 Named Troni's

                            ...Russ
                            Our lunchbunch group was there yesterday - as usual their food was wondrous. Here are photos of the exterior and interior (our waiter Nick was caught looking at me and if you look to the upper right I caught his dad - the owner - by the pizza ovens.) This a mom and pop operation with their four kids working there also.



                             
                              NYPIzzaNut

                              • Total Posts: 3127
                              • Joined: 3/8/2008
                              • Location: Sardinia, OH
                              RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Fri, 11/14/08 10:40 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by NYPIzzaNut

                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Russ Jackson

                              I just got back from Troni's. I ordered a Large Pepperoni and Garlic New York Style and a White Pizza with Garlic also. We also ordered 6 Garlic Rolls. The atmosphere was not impressive very simple no frills at all. I drove past the place the first time as is sits in a 4 tenant sort of strip. I walked in and instantly knew I was in the right place. The smell of proper pizza dough is one of those things that leaves an impression in ones mind for life. The service was adequate at best. I ordered the pies and waited. The rolls came and were excellent. It took a while for the pizza to come to the table. This was another good sign. It came to the table lava hot and bubbly with a crust I have never seen in this town. Smelled great and tasted excellent. Hands down the best Pizza I have ever had in Ohio. The place is only 13.6 miles from my house and I have lived here for a decade. Shame on me and thank you Roadfood. The white pizza was excellent. The white pizza was ordered for my daughter who met us at Troni's. If you love Pizza and live in the area or even remotely close to the area you must try it. Never shall I eat at Rock-a-Fellas or Flying Pizza again. NYPIzzaNut I thank you for finding this gem located at 1314 E Dorothy Lane Kettering Ohio 937-643-9921 Named Troni's

                              ...Russ
                              Our lunchbunch group was there yesterday - as usual their food was wondrous. Here are photos of the exterior and interior (our waiter Nick - one of the owner's 3 sons - was caught looking at me, and if you look to the right I captured his dad - the owner - by the pizza ovens.) This a mom and pop operation with their four kids working there also.




                               
                                baughman

                                • Total Posts: 115
                                • Joined: 6/3/2004
                                • Location: Blanchester, OH
                                RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Tue, 12/9/08 3:29 PM (permalink)
                                Russ Jackson, not sure if you have made the drive to Middletown or not. But Milton's Donuts ranks as my favorite donut shop in the area. Sadly I moved from the area 3 years ago over to the east side of Cinci. But I still stop when back to visit friends.
                                Its about the only thing worth driving to Middletown for. Ron's pizza was great till they closed about a decade ago. I think they still have a shop in Springboro but not sure about the pizza. IT was a cassanos/marions clone with a better bite to the crust.
                                 
                                  Russ Jackson

                                  • Total Posts: 2257
                                  • Joined: 11/28/2007
                                  • Location: Xenia
                                  RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Tue, 12/9/08 4:43 PM (permalink)
                                  baughman,
                                  I have not been to Milton's but I will. As to Ron's Pizza they reciently moved out of Springboro and I dont know where they moved to. I did not like there pizza. However it might not be the same as when you were there. Ron's was next to my most hated Sub place Subby's. Horrible place with the worst bread ever. I was at Troni's last week and had an Old Fashioned Pizza and it was excellent as usual. I also noticed something about Troni's after having gone there many times I have never seen a Woman working there....Russ
                                   
                                    donw9876

                                    • Total Posts: 289
                                    • Joined: 3/1/2008
                                    • Location: Daytonati, OH
                                    RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Tue, 12/9/08 4:58 PM (permalink)
                                    I'm really sorry to hear that about Ron's. Ron's Pizza in Springboro (and formerly in Centerville) was awesome: it was a high-quality Cassano's type pizza with better ingredients. My one problem with Ron's Springboro is that their hours always seemed flaky, we'd stop in some weeknight evenings and they would be closed.

                                    Ah, I found Troni's a few weeks ago, they were closed on the Sunday I stopped there. A typewriter repair shop called "Cal-Vent" was in that plaza in the Mesozoic era when I was in college...
                                     
                                      NYPIzzaNut

                                      • Total Posts: 3127
                                      • Joined: 3/8/2008
                                      • Location: Sardinia, OH
                                      RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Tue, 12/9/08 5:05 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Russ Jackson

                                      baughman,
                                      I have not been to Milton's but I will. As to Ron's Pizza they reciently moved out of Springboro and I dont know where they moved to. I did not like there pizza. However it might not be the same as when you were there. Ron's was next to my most hated Sub place Subby's. Horrible place with the worst bread ever. I was at Troni's last week and had an Old Fashioned Pizza and it was excellent as usual. I also noticed something about Troni's after having gone there many times I have never seen a Woman working there....Russ
                                      The owner's wife and daughter are generally in the back in the kitchen area. The lovely daughter served us on our first visit there some months back. The three brothers and the father generally make the pizzas and the boys doing the serving and bussing of tables.

                                      I am starting to get the urge again for one of their pizzas!
                                       
                                        NYPIzzaNut

                                        • Total Posts: 3127
                                        • Joined: 3/8/2008
                                        • Location: Sardinia, OH
                                        RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Tue, 12/9/08 5:07 PM (permalink)


                                        This collage was from our first visit to Troni's in March 2008.

                                        The lunchbunch group is shown on the takeout bag, with the owner's lovely daughter, and she is also depicted holding it up.......note that Troni's is in Kettering OH - Internet searches sometimes show it to be in Beavercreek and thus the wrong city is showing on the pizza box in the collage photograph.

                                        Some of their wonderful pizzas we have partaken of:



                                         
                                          baughman

                                          • Total Posts: 115
                                          • Joined: 6/3/2004
                                          • Location: Blanchester, OH
                                          RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Wed, 12/10/08 9:46 AM (permalink)
                                          Russ Jackson ,I have to second your pick of subbys as one of the worst sub shops ever LOL. Many moons ago I managed the Papa Johns in Springboro when it use to be were the MArcos Pizza is now(if Marcos is still there?) The staff wanted to trade all the time with them and it use to kill me.
                                          I did use to go to main street cafe to get a rubin from time to time. They steam the whole sandwich. Wasnt to bad.
                                          I have been trying for months to get my wife to let us drive up to Troni's to try a pizza. I will have to show her this thread.
                                          She is more then willing to make the drive to Lima for kewpee so I should have her there soon I hope.
                                           
                                            NYPIzzaNut

                                            • Total Posts: 3127
                                            • Joined: 3/8/2008
                                            • Location: Sardinia, OH
                                            RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Wed, 12/10/08 10:48 AM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by baughman

                                            Russ Jackson ,I have to second your pick of subbys as one of the worst sub shops ever LOL. Many moons ago I managed the Papa Johns in Springboro when it use to be were the MArcos Pizza is now(if Marcos is still there?) The staff wanted to trade all the time with them and it use to kill me.
                                            I did use to go to main street cafe to get a rubin from time to time. They steam the whole sandwich. Wasnt to bad.
                                            I have been trying for months to get my wife to let us drive up to Troni's to try a pizza. I will have to show her this thread.
                                            She is more then willing to make the drive to Lima for kewpee so I should have her there soon I hope.
                                            You might let her know my wife and I drive 70 miles each way on two lane blacktop mainly from Sardinia to Kettering ofttimes to get a Troni's pizza fix!

                                            With gasoline prices falling we may be doing it more often.

                                            We are both native New Yorkers and love their pizza crust and pies. Ohio is a pretty barren wasteland when it comes to really good pizza that reminds us of what pizza pies are like in metro New York.

                                            The really interesting thing about Troni's is that the family is Albanian. The owner has a brother who runs a pizza shop nearby but the brother's crust is terrible. Go figure.
                                             
                                              baughman

                                              • Total Posts: 115
                                              • Joined: 6/3/2004
                                              • Location: Blanchester, OH
                                              RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Wed, 12/10/08 3:39 PM (permalink)
                                              Your in my neck of the woods then. I would be driving up from Blanchester. Been hoping to find a true Ny fix in the Cinci area. Sadly Flying Pizza is the closest I have found so far, and there dough has gotten way off. 17 years ago it was pretty good, but something has changed.
                                              I liked Flying back when I went to OSU. MAybe its just the cinci store that is off?
                                               
                                                NYPIzzaNut

                                                • Total Posts: 3127
                                                • Joined: 3/8/2008
                                                • Location: Sardinia, OH
                                                RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Wed, 12/10/08 4:00 PM (permalink)
                                                Flying Pizza in Cinci and Dayton are both awful excuses for what they say is NY style pizza.

                                                I will be in Kettering tomorrow with our lunchbunch at Madison's Bistro and will pick up a Troni's pizza on the way home.
                                                 
                                                  Russ Jackson

                                                  • Total Posts: 2257
                                                  • Joined: 11/28/2007
                                                  • Location: Xenia
                                                  RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Wed, 12/10/08 4:17 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by NYPIzzaNut

                                                  Flying Pizza in Cinci and Dayton are both awful excuses for what they say is NY style pizza.

                                                  I will be in Kettering tomorrow with our lunchbunch at Madison's Bistro and will pick up a Troni's pizza on the way home.


                                                  I was at Troni's three hours ago for lunch and it was excellent as usual. People always look at me weird in that place when I ask them why they are ordering spaghetti or lasagna instead of the Pizza. Then they ask me if it is good and I go into my story. So when my pie arrives I hand deliver the first piece to them. I went to Slyders in Dayton last night and it still reigns as the best burger in the area...Russ
                                                   
                                                    NYPIzzaNut

                                                    • Total Posts: 3127
                                                    • Joined: 3/8/2008
                                                    • Location: Sardinia, OH
                                                    RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Wed, 12/10/08 4:25 PM (permalink)
                                                    I guess great pizza is not first and foremost on the minds of most Ohioans minds. Even two-thirds of my lunchbunch group have no concept of what constitutes great pizza - all they know is they want half a dozen toppings on their pies. It is one of life's small tragedies I endure for the sake of enduring friendships.
                                                     
                                                      Suburban Dad

                                                      • Total Posts: 38
                                                      • Joined: 7/5/2006
                                                      • Location: Cincinnati, OH
                                                      RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Wed, 12/10/08 9:28 PM (permalink)
                                                      For those who like NY style pizza, have you tried either Fratelli's in West Chester or Aponte's in Mason. Personally, I am not a fan of fratelli's, but enjoy Aponte's(although its a NJ pizza since that is where the owner is from). I believe his website is apontes.net
                                                       
                                                        NYPIzzaNut

                                                        • Total Posts: 3127
                                                        • Joined: 3/8/2008
                                                        • Location: Sardinia, OH
                                                        RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Wed, 12/10/08 10:08 PM (permalink)
                                                        I have tried both and neither holds a candle to what real NY style pizza should be. They are no better than any of the Flying Pizza places. Their crust is terrible.
                                                         
                                                          donw9876

                                                          • Total Posts: 289
                                                          • Joined: 3/1/2008
                                                          • Location: Daytonati, OH
                                                          RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Thu, 12/11/08 4:52 PM (permalink)
                                                          We tried Hot *Head* Burritos at their new location in Centerville in the old Taco Bell just south of Spring Valley Rd a few nights ago. This is a small chain, perhaps not Roadfood, but I'd say that it is small enough to have unique personality. We bought a chicken burrito with the extra hot salsa, a beef taco, and beef nachos. Total damage was about $13. It was a not quite gut busting but very satisfying amount of food for two.

                                                          The ingredients were quite fresh, and everything was top-quality, on a par with or better than any chain. The chicken and the beef were good quality, moderately seasoned and not fatty or gristly.

                                                          I especially appreciated the personalized, friendly service we received. The counter service at Chipotles I've been to always seem so teenager-cracking-gum-not-giving-a-crap in tone. I've never cared for Qdoba in Mason - I always feel very rushed and I never feel like I get what I really want, even though the product quality is good, because it's run like a friggin' assembly line. I like this better than either chain.
                                                           
                                                            Ghaz

                                                            • Total Posts: 79
                                                            • Joined: 4/25/2007
                                                            • Location: Florence, KY
                                                            RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Thu, 12/11/08 10:23 PM (permalink)
                                                            Just a minor correction, but it seems to be Hot Head Burritos

                                                            http://www.hotheadburritos.com/
                                                             
                                                              Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 5 of 11, messages 121 to 150 of 323

                                                              Jump to:

                                                              Current active users

                                                              There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                                              Icon Legend and Permission

                                                              • New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

                                                              2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com