The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 6 of 11, messages 151 to 180 of 323
donw9876

• Total Posts: 289
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Thu, 12/11/08 11:45 PM (permalink)
Yes, and thanks for the typo correction!

brittneal

• Total Posts: 1265
    RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Fri, 12/12/08 7:31 AM (permalink)
    I think that the Troni's girl looks way better than the food

jjjrfoodie

• Total Posts: 422
      RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Fri, 12/12/08 6:14 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by brittneal

I think that the Troni's girl looks way better than the food

Have you eaten there?
      Either you need to eat there and then chime up, need a vision plan with your health insurance at work or need a smiley or wink face at the end of you post.

One of the best pizzas in the area.

jjjrfoodie

Ghaz

• Total Posts: 79
        RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Fri, 12/12/08 10:57 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by donw9876

Yes, and thanks for the typo correction!

No problem. Thanks for the review. I may have to try them next time I'm up in Dayton as I'm a big fan of Chipotle and this looks to be right up my alley.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
          RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Fri, 12/12/08 11:28 PM (permalink)
          I do not know how one can compare a girl to food.

Is there some deeper meaning here?

NYPIzzaNut

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Fri, 12/12/08 11:33 PM (permalink)
            I have this song on constant rotation on my compilation CDs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L_TksB9RRQ

Pizza Pie
            Norman Fox & Rob Roys

It is a wonderful doowop classic from the late 1950s and makes me appreciate pizza pies all the more!

donw9876

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Fri, 12/12/08 11:44 PM (permalink)
              There's a lot of generalized pizza worship going on here. I'm somewhat concerned.

Troni's == Mecca of pizza? Bow X times a day in the direction of Beavertown?

(NOTE: due to the mention of the owner's daughter above, I want to state that "Beavertown" is simply the historical name of that part of Kettering... and nothing more!)

NYPIzzaNut

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Fri, 12/12/08 11:52 PM (permalink)
                And it has nothing to do with Beavercreek.

jjjrfoodie

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sat, 12/13/08 1:18 AM (permalink)
                  quote:

There's a lot of generalized pizza worship going on here. I'm somewhat concerned.

Troni's == Mecca of pizza? Bow X times a day in the direction of Beavertown?

Nope, not generalized at all, but this is just proof of more non-food drivel and bull%^$# comments about food and establishments that deliver good food; but you continue to drive home my earlier comments that this site is now just a bastion of solace for those that just like to bitch about everything.

jjjrfoodie

NYPIzzaNut

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sat, 12/13/08 1:34 AM (permalink)
                    Pizza is sacred, and should never be made fun of or taken lightly.

I think most non-pizza nuts have no idea what really good pizza is supposed to taste like.

And they consume all thoses calories eating food that tastes worse than cardboard. It is an abomination!

MiD

• Total Posts: 16
                      RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sat, 12/13/08 8:29 PM (permalink)
                      NYPizzaNut, I'm not from NY but lived in the area for 10 yrs or so. Enjoyed NY pizza a lot - though it was second to Wooster St. Pizza (New Haven). You are correct - Troni's is the best pizza around - and Pizza IS Sacred!!

Now - anyone have any experience with Tank's for Breakfast?!

donw9876

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sat, 12/13/08 9:49 PM (permalink)
                        FWIW, I don't get the bug up Jrrfoodie's @ss. I made the meta comment in response to the several ongoing sidebars here about Troni's, and I was not the first one to do so. IMO this thread should be split out into a separate Troni's thread. I have too much going on in my life to argue about proper use of a message board anyway. But the comment seemed to deserve a response, and I'll post unless I'm banned.

We just had Troni's tonight for the first time. It is awesome. But I honestly can't tell that *much* of a difference between it and Flying Pizza. The crust is quite similar in texture, more well-done on the bottom than Flying Pizza, and the sauce seems to be slightly "sharper" and more acidic in taste than anything comparable I've ever gotten. I like Tronis' marginally better than Flying Pizza but really, it would come down to convenience and where I was at the time.

Troni's seems a bit expensive on some items for a small mom and pop restaurant (extra toppings $2/each.)

So that's one man's opinion. Worth traveling for? Sure!

My wife and I are also fans of the wood fired pizza at Stefano's in Middletown.

NYPIzzaNut

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sun, 12/14/08 12:39 AM (permalink)
                          Having been raised in Yonkers NY and eating pizza there and in NYC for many years I can tell you that when I eat Troni's pizza it is almost as good as NY pizza - not perfect but as close probably as Dewey's Pizza. Neither is exactly like the texture of great NY crust but they come close enough to make me a happy camper.

I have had alleged NY style pizza at many pretenders in Cinci and Dayton areas, like Flying Pizza and a dozen others like them - the texture of their crust is awful - plain and simple - almost as bad as Dominos and many other fast food pizza chains. But to each his own.

BTW I do not worry about the cost of extra toppings because I do not want them - a good pizza requires nothing but great crust, good mozzarella cheese and good tomato sauce with a little olive oil and basil and oregano. I have friends in my lunchbunch who routinely want their pizzas with many toppings - they never learn that to taste what the pizza is really like you don't mess it up with a bunch of toppings. But they did not grow up eating great NYC area pizzas for 15 years or so like I did. They just do not care about the crust and its texture and taste like real pizza afficionados do.

donw9876

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sun, 12/14/08 12:58 AM (permalink)
                            Ok, this is getting interesting. I am from the area and I grew up on Flying Pizza.

Two things:

Completely agreed that ingredients beyond the cheese are superfluous in judging pizza. But I enjoy a few. My favorite slice in high school and college between classes in the 70s was Flying Pizza's plain cheese.

Secondly, I *really* (honestly) cannot tell the difference between Troni's crust and Flying Pizza. They're both chewy and have (in my opinion) a similar homemade, highly glutenous developed texture. Flying Pizza is just *not* a mass market Donato's or Domino's. It's in the same category as Troni's... just a different take. Same kind of crust, same sparing use of sauce.

I'll have to revisit a Flying Pizza location soon and recalibrate, but I personally don't get the huge quality difference that you are stating.

PS: pretty funny that next door to Troni's is a Papa John's.

NYPIzzaNut

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sun, 12/14/08 1:08 AM (permalink)
                              I guess if you have eaten NY crust for a long time and then came to Ohio and ate what usually passes for pizza you might have a more sensitive palate for what is and is not a good crust and a superior pie.

Troni's crust has more texture and chewiness and a bit of a crunch to it.

Flying Pizza's crust is mushy - that is the best I can describe it and I have had their pizzas in Cinci and Dayton thanks to my fellow lunchbunch members and both were the same - plain awful.

It may not be as bad as the cardboard crusts you get at Domino and many other places but it just nothing in the taste category. Mushy and tasteless crust ruins a pizza for me.

brittneal

• Total Posts: 1265
                                RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sun, 12/14/08 1:09 AM (permalink)
                                Tronis still gets my vote for the babe in the pin sweater! Hubba-hubba

NYPIzzaNut

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sun, 12/14/08 1:15 AM (permalink)
                                  To each his own. Actually I think she is kind of fetching too, but other than during our first visit there in March this year she is always working the back kitchen and never is out front waiting on tables. Perhaps one too many customers flirted with her. Her dad is there most of the time and is kind of an old-fashioned fellow from what I have seen and he may have decided to not have his only daughter be exposed so much to their customers but I have no idea really why only the sons wait tables and bus them now.

donw9876

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sun, 12/14/08 1:39 AM (permalink)
                                    I have a fairly sensitive palate. I'll be the only one in some restaurants saying "this is tasteless" or "this tastes rancid" and my wife thinks I'm nuts. I'll have to revisit Flying Pizza and get back to this thread. Maybe it's changed for the worse since I last ate there.

"Mushy" and "tasteless"? NEVER, ever experienced that with FP. Those are the last adjectives I would use to describe their pizza crust.

NYPIzzaNut

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sun, 12/14/08 2:14 AM (permalink)
                                      These are the first ones that come to my mind.

donw9876

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sun, 12/14/08 10:32 AM (permalink)
                                        Clearly this is a religious conflict.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                                          RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sun, 12/14/08 12:21 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:

FWIW, I don't get the bug up Jrrfoodie's @ss. I made the meta comment in response to the several ongoing sidebars here about Troni's, and I was not the first one to do so. IMO this thread should be split out into a separate Troni's thread. I have too much going on in my life to argue about proper use of a message board anyway. But the comment seemed to deserve a response, and I'll post unless I'm banned.

We just had Troni's tonight for the first time. It is awesome. But I honestly can't tell that *much* of a difference between it and Flying Pizza. The crust is quite similar in texture, more well-done on the bottom than Flying Pizza, and the sauce seems to be slightly "sharper" and more acidic in taste than anything comparable I've ever gotten. I like Tronis' marginally better than Flying Pizza but really, it would come down to convenience and where I was at the time.

Troni's seems a bit expensive on some items for a small mom and pop restaurant (extra toppings $2/each.)

So that's one man's opinion. Worth traveling for? Sure!

My wife and I are also fans of the wood fired pizza at Stefano's in Middletown.

First off I don't have any problem if this thread is too much about Troni's. One of the few really good places in this Gastronomical Wasteland called Dayton. Well maybe not as bad as Erie Pa but there are very few Diamonds in the Ruff. For the first 11 of my 13 years in Dayton the only Pizza I could even eat was Flying Pizza. Not because it was great but because it was the best of the worst. By tasting it, it kept me in touch palette wise what great pizza can taste like. I am sure you Marion's, Papa Johns, La Rosa's and other circular dough concoctions cut into little squares with cheap cheese, extruded sausage that looks like rabbit droppings and of course the micro-thin laser sliced pepperoni(how do they slice them so thin) strewn atop a pizza in this town are going take offense to this. I wasted 11 years eating eating the other stuff and I don't want to waste anymore. Every time I go there I see more and more people eating in the place. So there is hope. I try to go there a couple times a month. All roadfooders in the area should do the same. Flying Pizza 5 or 6 years ago served a much better Pizza. However they have gotten LAZY and COMPLACENT and it shows in the reviews. FP is still the best of the worst. While Troni's is the only real pizza in this town. NYP I like 1 topping only on my pizza and light jalapeno.Troni's has Jalapeno's available however they are not on the menu. Troni's best topping is their sausage. It is not ground or extruded but hand sliced thin from what looks like a homemade itallian sausage. Enjoy and hope to see you there...Russ

donw9876

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sun, 12/14/08 1:26 PM (permalink)
                                            Local "giants" of the pizza scene:

Marion's and pre-1975 or so Cassano's pizzas, as well as Ron's (I think they only have one location in Miamisburg now) all have or had a similar style of crust that seems unique to Dayton. What I am talking about is a very thin, chewy and crispy crust (not a cracker crust) that forms small bubbles directly under the sauce when it is baked. And, yeah, it's cut into little squares. I grew up on it. It's quite succulent if done skillfully. It probably requires intense heat on a stone to create the blister crust effect.

Cassano's was the first of this type that was common around Dayton. Marion's and Ron's still do this type of crust well, but Ron's is superior. I agree about Marion's sausage, it's gross.

Cassano's developed corporate hubris and tried to expand outside the metro area years ago, failed and pulled back a few years later, and they seem to have become a Papa John's and Donato's wanna be today.

Another local Dayton chain: I used to enjoy Submarine House subs back in the late 70s. Back in 78-79 I used to get a pizza style sub that was a perfect interplay of bread and spicy ingredients. We went to Sub House in Centerville a couple of months ago and it was indistinguishable from the mass market places like Penn Station.

NYPIzzaNut

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sun, 12/14/08 1:37 PM (permalink)
                                              The problem with chain sub shops is that they have no concept of what a good chewy crusty Italian or French baguette roll is supposed to taste like. That is why I opt for pita bread if I have to get food from a Subway.

• Total Posts: 335
                                                RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sun, 12/14/08 10:20 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by baughman

Ron's pizza was great till they closed about a decade ago. I think they still have a shop in Springboro but not sure about the pizza. IT was a cassanos/marions clone with a better bite to the crust.

Ron's Pizza has a location in downtown Miamisburg at 1 S. Main Street "on the square." See also http://www.ronspizza.com/.

donw9876

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Mon, 12/15/08 1:23 AM (permalink)
                                                  Tonight we drove by Ron's former location in Springboro next to Subby's. It's a dark hole now. Ron's branches seem to suck business-wise. The Springboro location seemed to be open when they damned well felt like it, which was on random weeknights.

In the spirit of disclosing places that look on the outside like they're better than they really are, I'll add "The Bar-B-Q Hut" on Wilmington Pike in Kettering. It always seems fairly busy for a small place, so we ate there a couple of months ago on a Sunday afternoon. I got a *chopped* (not pulled) pork sandwich that was fairly overpriced for a sandwich but was as big around as a soccer ball (ok, so I exaggerate). The Hut does not seem to smoke anything on their menu, so it's that tasteless roasted pork stuff.

I think that I had a bill for about $13 for just a sandwich platter, a side and a soft drink. For lunch. Mainly I saw senior citizens in the place. Other lunch menu items were also fairly pricey for such a small place. Basically they have you pay a lot (comparatively) for a lot of mediocre food.

jjjrfoodie

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Mon, 12/15/08 10:37 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:

In the spirit of disclosing places that look on the outside like they're better than they really are, I'll add "The Bar-B-Q Hut" on Wilmington Pike in Kettering. It always seems fairly busy for a small place, so we ate there a couple of months ago on a Sunday afternoon. I got a *chopped* (not pulled) pork sandwich that was fairly overpriced for a sandwich but was as big around as a soccer ball (ok, so I exaggerate). The Hut does not seem to smoke anything on their menu, so it's that tasteless roasted pork stuff.

donw9876, please note that my earlier comments about the pizza in Dayton was not personal and I'm sorry if I offended, but it has been a roadfood trend lately to bash or post negative comments about restaurants that the commentor has indeed never been to. The pics look "bad" or "I hear this or that." Everyone is entitled to an opinion 100% and I am not saying Troni's is the end-all-be-all of pizza, but I do tire of negative comments from those that have never tried said restaurant or those that have tried it, dislike it, and fail to explain the reason for their dislike. I hear it everyday in the car ownership /mfgr. world and it reeks of ignorance on a topic, not educated opinion.

That said, I too had a similar BBQ experience at Hooks Bar-B-Cue in Dayton over the summer.
                                                    (2324 N Gettysburg Ave Dayton, OH 45406)
                                                    Pricey food but NO smoke flavor. None. Nada. It was basically pulled pork shoulder that had been oven roasted au jus. It must be a personal preference with some Middle Ohio chefs, as I seldom see it out of the region.

jjjrfoodie

donw9876

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Mon, 12/15/08 11:39 PM (permalink)
                                                      Ok, thanks for the clarification. I run a forum myself and I know that endless sidebarring and even "me toos" consume attention better spent on the topic at hand.

baughman

• Total Posts: 115
                                                        • Location: Blanchester, OH
                                                        RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Tue, 12/16/08 9:21 AM (permalink)
                                                        I must second the post about Flying Pizza must be changing stuff or just getting lazy.
                                                        I lived on the stuff at OSU. Loved the chewy crisp crust , everything. PLus for a poor college kid u couldnt pass up the cheap eats.
                                                        Even 10 years ago in Dayton it still was pretty much the same.
                                                        Now over the last few years it has started to get limper and more of a chewy mush instead of that great tug to it. I must say tho. and I will prob get flamed for this. There comes a time about once a year or so that I get a craving for a Marions with those sausage shreds on it. I will hang my head in shame now.

This area is also a big hole for BBQ. Alot of ppl love Montgomery inn, they boil and then cover it all in BBQ sauce. This isnt real BBQ. Even going to a so, so place like Jim Dandys will show the diffrence. When ever I walk into a new BBQ and dont see a smoker out back. I always start a convo with the waitress and ask what smoker they use. IF I cant get a straight answer I wont come back.

NYPIzzaNut

• Location: Sardinia, OH
                                                          RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Tue, 12/16/08 10:15 AM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by baughman

I must second the post about Flying Pizza must be changing stuff or just getting lazy.
                                                          I lived on the stuff at OSU. Loved the chewy crisp crust , everything. PLus for a poor college kid u couldnt pass up the cheap eats.
                                                          Even 10 years ago in Dayton it still was pretty much the same.
                                                          Now over the last few years it has started to get limper and more of a chewy mush instead of that great tug to it. I must say tho. and I will prob get flamed for this. There comes a time about once a year or so that I get a craving for a Marions with those sausage shreds on it. I will hang my head in shame now.

This area is also a big hole for BBQ. Alot of ppl love Montgomery inn, they boil and then cover it all in BBQ sauce. This isnt real BBQ. Even going to a so, so place like Jim Dandys will show the diffrence. When ever I walk into a new BBQ and dont see a smoker out back. I always start a convo with the waitress and ask what smoker they use. IF I cant get a straight answer I wont come back.
                                                          The same can be said for the Mio's Pizza chain in Greater Cinci - when I started going to Mio's in Mt Washington in 1979 their pizza was as good as what my wife and I were used to greater NYC - but in the mid 80's Mio's changed their crust and it became a cracker crust not worth eating - a major tragedy.

donw9876

• Location: Daytonati, OH
                                                            RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Tue, 12/16/08 11:45 AM (permalink)
                                                            Ok, I am *definitely* going to have to do some "field research" soon and visit a Flying Pizza. I last had them 3-4 years ago and they were the same as always then.
                                                            quote:
                                                            There comes a time about once a year or so that I get a craving for a Marions with those sausage shreds on it. I will hang my head in shame now.

Marions is a great pizza, just from a different regional genre.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 6 of 11, messages 151 to 180 of 323

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com