Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 11
Author
MiD
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/12/16 13:12:42 (permalink)
Got to Tank's for breakfast. HUGE servings. Not expensive. Hash Browns with onions, were excellent. Nothing else seemed too exciting. Scrambled eggs were kind of dry, a bit overdone, pancakes were a little spongy, not too tasty.
My 16 yr old son had a large omelette, with cheese, bacon, & I forget what else... He didn't finish it, which is shocking. It was indeed large, and he did wolf down his hash browns, but he usually eats til he's stuffed, which means he cleans the plate. He said the bacon was too much... not sure what that meant (too greasy?), but he stopped eating the huge omelette half way through.
Service was good, the waitress was nice and refilled the coffee often enough.
It's a bar - with a bar's decor. Which I thought was cool. We were there about 10 on a Sunday - some patrons looked like they'd just stopped drinking - which wasn't a problem, just kind of amusing. A couple groups of college kids made their way in while we ate. Not too many children in the place that I noticed.
I think if I would've had a beer with breakfast it would've been better. Not really disappointed, just not eager to go back for breakfast.
Anyone else been and had a different experience?
donw9876
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/12/17 17:14:32 (permalink)
Two open questions I want to pose to this thread:

1) Where in Butler or Warren or N. Cinci or even Southern Dayton can you find the best fried fish and chips, as roadfood? (We went to La Comedia this weekend, and the dinner buffet had these just awesome fried cod chunks.) Granted that Ohio is not fish country.

2) Does anyone have experience with Micomonaco's Pizza in Middletown? How is it? I read in some local forum that it is a local icon or something. Just wondering.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3142
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/12/19 18:57:28 (permalink)
Our lunchbunch ate at this Greek restaurant Thursday..we had all four of their soups, the Greek meatball hoagie, the mousaka, gyros, rice pudding and baklava.  The place  was packed wall to wall.  Food was good and prices very reasonable.  I found the baklava to be unbelievably delicious - the best any of have had anywhere:

Grecian Delight
By Teri Horsley, Contributing Writer
Friday, June 09, 2006
For those looking for a place "where everybody knows your name," Middletown's Grecian Delight is the place to be.
A combination of authentic Greek cuisine and all-American sandwiches, Grecian Delight has something for everyone. In addition, the owners know each of their regular customers so well that they can recite from memory what a person will order.
Founded in 1990, the current owners Maria and Kosta Ververis took over in 1997. The aunt and nephew take pride in bringing part of their homeland to Middletown.
Each weekday there is an authentic Grecian special which begins with Pastichio, a Grecian style lasagna on Monday, and ends with Friday's Chicken Kabob on Rice Pilaf. Saturday rounds out the week with any number of tasty delights including Stuffed Peppers or Stuffed Grape Leaves.
Grecian Delight has a huge carry-out business and offers a catering service.
The Ververis' customers are their best advertisement as many come several times a week to enjoy great food and a family atmosphere. Pat Montgomery of Franklin says "Grecian Delight is the best kept secret in Middletown," and her husband Richard agrees. "It is outstanding and delicious," Richard said, adding that, "Maria can make anything and it will taste good."
For those not sure if they like Greek food there is a wide variety on the American menu. "They have the best hamburgers in town, with everything being made fresh," said Maxine Evick of Middletown.
Maria Ververis makes it a point not only to remember the favorite foods of her customers, but she also keeps tabs on their families, and any major event that happens in their lives. "If you don't put your heart and soul into a small business it won't succeed," Ververis said.
Her pride in Grecian Delight is evident by her warm smile and welcoming attitude toward new customers. "It only takes one time to come here and you are hooked," said Ververis.  With the number of people willing to   brag to this reporter about the restaurant, it is obvious that Ververis is right.

how to go
THE NAME: Grecian Delight.
THE LOCATION: 1300 Cincinnati-Dayton Road, Middletown (Greentree Plaza).
THE HOURS: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Mon.-Thurs., 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Fridays, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturdays and closed on Sundays.
THE STYLE: Casual.
THE TAB: Menu items range from $1.25 - $5.75 Daily specials are $5.75.
THE PHONE: (513) 424-5411.
THE CRITIC'S CHOICE: Keftedes (Greek meatballs) on spaghetti with Greek salad.

post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2008/12/19 19:08:01
baughman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/12/20 04:04:06 (permalink)
Grecian delight is one of the things I miss about living in Middletown. I miss my gyro fix.
            Cant beat the prices either.
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/12/21 08:38:24 (permalink)
I went to Tanks for the first time on Wednesday evening. I had a standard 1/2 lb burger with cheese, fries, and Bass Beer from the tap. This Burger is just as good as Slyders. My wife had the famous grilled cheese. It has a ton of ingredients and she enjoyed it. My son had the fish sandwich which was hand battered and very large. Cooked perfect on a quality bun. Fries were fresh cut to order and appeared to be twice fried and excellent. Served with malt vinegar. Sorry I had not been here before. Service was excellent and the place was packed. Waitress was a pro! From the outside one might think its just a bar. I actually asked if my 14 year old son could come in as the sign said 21 or over only. Definitely a bright spot in Dayton. Lots of character and characters adorn the place. I will definitely go back...Russ
brittneal
  • Total Posts : 1265
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/12/23 13:37:23 (permalink)
We just gown from Grecian Delight.  My wife loved the wine cooed meatball sands and I loed the the gyro and suvgloki.  Along with the greesalad(lunch special) it was a ood meal.
donw9876
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/12/23 23:10:14 (permalink)
Re: fish and chips. I will answer my own question. The Breakfast Club in Lebanon has their own battered-on-site fish and fries platter with slaw for $6.50. You get two very large (long) and tasty pieces of whitefish for the money. It could have almost fed two people with a second side. This serving of fish is the equal of a fish and chips that I got at Claddagh Pub in Mason that costs almost $20 for the "full" serving. GREAT value at 1/3 the price!
Ghaz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 83
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/12/24 18:37:59 (permalink)
donw9876
Where in Butler or Warren or N. Cinci or even Southern Dayton can you find the best fried fish and chips, as roadfood? a local icon or something. Just wondering.

Is Northern Kentucky too far out of the way?  Mr. Herb's in Hebron out by the international airport does some fine fish and chips.
Russ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/12/24 18:43:18 (permalink)
Ghaz

donw9876
Where in Butler or Warren or N. Cinci or even Southern Dayton can you find the best fried fish and chips, as roadfood? a local icon or something. Just wondering.

Is Northern Kentucky too far out of the way?  Mr. Herb's in Hebron out by the international airport does some fine fish and chips.

It would be however it is right down the street from my Kentucky office and I agree with you that it is the best fish and chips in the area and well worth the trip....Russ

donw9876
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/12/25 02:54:01 (permalink)
We don't get down there that often, but thanks for the recommendation! We'll keep it in mind the next time we are in the area.

How is Mr. Herb's compared to either Mitchell's Seafood or Sweeney's (Centerville?) It sounds similar to Sweeney's.
Ghaz
Hamburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/12/25 14:32:39 (permalink)
Well, if you take a look at Mr. Herb's you'll see it doesn't really compare to Mitchell's at all
donw9876
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/12/26 13:19:59 (permalink)
I meant more like the menu selections. But I see what you mean. Mitchell's has the "high concept" decor with nautical themes. Also a bit overpriced. But good. Much more of a chain, more "anonymous."

It looked from Mr. Herb's web site like it was a family run road food type place. Sweeney's in Centerville is probably similar - they also have cajun inspired seafood dishes and I highly recommend them. (I always get stuff broiled or blackened there.)
Russ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/12/26 18:03:50 (permalink)
donw9876

We don't get down there that often, but thanks for the recommendation! We'll keep it in mind the next time we are in the area.

How is Mr. Herb's compared to either Mitchell's Seafood or Sweeney's (Centerville?) It sounds similar to Sweeney's.

Sweeney's is a little more upscale and offers a much better variety of seafood. Herb's is more of a one trick pony offering for the most part fish and chips. I have been to Sweeney's many times but usually dont order fried fish. They have way more options and a full bar...Russ
donw9876
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/12/27 00:02:41 (permalink)
Russ Jackson
Sweeney's is a little more upscale and offers a much better variety of seafood. Herb's is more of a one trick pony offering for the most part fish and chips. I have been to Sweeney's many times but usually dont order fried fish. They have way more options and a full bar...Russ

I don't think I ever ordered fish and chips at Sweeney's either. It never occurred to me, with all of the great fish and side items on the menu. Herb's still sounds interesting enough to do as a side trip on the way home sometime, and appears to be even less formal than Sweeney's, which isn't very.

I lived in Ft. Wayne several years ago and I liked a local chain up there called "Famous Fish of Stroh", which sounds similar to Herb's. There should be a place in the food ecosystem for a plain old fish and chips restaurant.
post edited by donw9876 - 2008/12/27 00:14:30
Ghaz
Hamburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/12/27 19:24:53 (permalink)
donw9876I meant more like the menu selections.

Check the 'Site Map' section of Mr. Herb's website that I linked to in my previous post.  It has a copy of their menu.
donw9876
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/12/28 00:20:12 (permalink)
Ghaz
Check the 'Site Map' section of Mr. Herb's website that I linked to in my previous post.  It has a copy of their menu.

Ah, found it. Ok, it's clearly toward the BBQ and fast food/bar food end of the spectrum. I'll take Sweeney's, but Mr. Herb's sounds like it is worth a stop while on the road.

arianej
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2009/01/01 01:31:34 (permalink)
Jimmy's Italian Kitchen
3002 Woodman Dr.
Kettering, OH 45420

My in-laws recommended this place, so we gave it a try tonight-- pretty good!  I don't know how the food compares to Troni's since I haven't made it there yet, but I had the veal parmigiana and husband had the veal marsala (a special) with fried calamari as the appetizer.  It's not particularly cheap (a little over $60 for three people, and we all drank water) but everything was good with generous portions. 

NYPizzaNut, I think I remember seeing that you didn't care for the pizza here?  We didn't try that, but I'd happily eat off the regular menu.  I know Dominic's is a Dayton favorite, but thought the veal parmesan here was much better.
Ghaz
Hamburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2009/02/12 23:32:38 (permalink)
I'm going to be up in Kettering at the end of the month.  I'm looking for a place to have lunch near E. Stroop and Marshall for around $10.  I've already got Gyros on S. Dixie Drive and Hot Head Burritos on Smithville Road as possibilities.  Anyone else have any suggestions?  Thanks.
post edited by Ghaz - 2009/02/12 23:34:00
arianej
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2009/02/13 00:26:18 (permalink)
Ghaz

I'm going to be up in Kettering at the end of the month.  I'm looking for a place to have lunch near E. Stroop and Marshall for around $10.  I've already got Gyros on S. Dixie Drive and Hot Head Burritos on Smithville Road as possibilities.  Anyone else have any suggestions?  Thanks.

Any other criteria besides price?  You're not that far from Palermo's on Kettering Blvd. if you like Italian.  I haven't eaten lunch there, but it's hard to go wrong with any dish with bolognese sauce. 
Ghaz
Hamburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2009/02/13 10:10:57 (permalink)
No.  Price is pretty much my only criteria.  I like pretty much anything
arianej
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2009/02/13 15:10:38 (permalink)
Ghaz

No.  Price is pretty much my only criteria.  I like pretty much anything

A Roadfooder after my own heart, then!  ;)   You're also not far from Troni's on Dorothy Lane  (near the intersection with Wilmington, I think) which has become a local favorite for NY style pizza here in Dayton.  I haven't had the pleasure of trying it myself, but several of the regulars here give it rave reviews.  I'm not sure if it'll fit your $10 criteria, though.  Someone did post pictures somewhere in this thread, and I seem to recall there might've been a picture of the menu as well.

Whatever you decide, good luck.  :)

donw9876
Cheeseburger
Little River Cafe in Oregonia burns down 2009/02/13 19:14:44 (permalink)
Russ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2009/02/14 17:46:58 (permalink)
If you like pizza and have not been to Troni's then you have no decision to make. Troni's is it. I assure you will not be disappionted. ...Russ
arianej
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2009/03/01 16:57:15 (permalink)
Went to dinner to a relatively new Thai place-- Siam Pad Thai on the corner of Wilmington and Dorothy Lane.  The restaurant was packed.  It doesn't help that the place is pretty small and there are tables wedged in every available corner.  Service was also a little on the slow side, but they were doing the best they could on such a busy night with limited waitstaff.

We didn't try any of the sushi (they do have a very small sushi bar and extensive menu with a lot of the crazy maki combinations if that's your cup of tea) but the calamari, fried tofu and fishcake appetizers were all very tasty.  I liked their pad thai pretty well.  It was a touch sweet and could've used more shrimp, but the shrimp that was in the dish were perfectly done and not all rubbery/chewy like you sometimes get in restaurants.  The basil chicken and Massamun curry were also good.  I liked the flavor of the Penang curry, but it's a little weird to me to have carrots, peas and long beans in a curry.  They were fine, if somewhat non-traditional.

The usual caveats-- Thai food isn't cheap, the portions are not large by Midwestern standards and Dayton is not the greatest place for it, but this was a lot better than that place that used to be on Alex Bell and I like their curries better than Thai Kitchen's.  I wouldn't object to going again, although I'd probably opt for a weeknight instead of a weekend in hopes of it being less crowded.

Russ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2009/03/04 14:31:48 (permalink)
arianej

Went to dinner to a relatively new Thai place-- Siam Pad Thai on the corner of Wilmington and Dorothy Lane.  The restaurant was packed.  It doesn't help that the place is pretty small and there are tables wedged in every available corner.  Service was also a little on the slow side, but they were doing the best they could on such a busy night with limited waitstaff.

We didn't try any of the sushi (they do have a very small sushi bar and extensive menu with a lot of the crazy maki combinations if that's your cup of tea) but the calamari, fried tofu and fishcake appetizers were all very tasty.  I liked their pad thai pretty well.  It was a touch sweet and could've used more shrimp, but the shrimp that was in the dish were perfectly done and not all rubbery/chewy like you sometimes get in restaurants.  The basil chicken and Massamun curry were also good.  I liked the flavor of the Penang curry, but it's a little weird to me to have carrots, peas and long beans in a curry.  They were fine, if somewhat non-traditional.

The usual caveats-- Thai food isn't cheap, the portions are not large by Midwestern standards and Dayton is not the greatest place for it, but this was a lot better than that place that used to be on Alex Bell and I like their curries better than Thai Kitchen's.  I wouldn't object to going again, although I'd probably opt for a weeknight instead of a weekend in hopes of it being less crowded.

Have you tried Thai 9 arianej?...Russ
arianej
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2009/03/04 17:16:56 (permalink)
Russ Jackson
Have you tried Thai 9 arianej?...Russ

No, I haven't.  My parents tried it ages ago and were underwhelmed.  They thought it seemed more like Thai/pan-Asian fusion, with more emphasis on presentation and atmosphere than the food itself.  Their preferred Thai restaurant so far is Arloi Dee in Mason.

brittneal
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2009/03/04 18:05:37 (permalink)
Theres a decent chinese buffet on 48 near Dorthy ln.  I was suprised that you listed Herbs.  Thats quite a trek from the Dayton area.
Does anyone know if Pugs Dog House was closed?  I thought I saw where it was no longer open
donw9876
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2009/03/04 18:18:41 (permalink)
Brittneal, I am from that general area of Belmont, so this is interesting to me. This explains it:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/leadbelly/entries/2009/02/13/au_revoir_dugou.html
arianej
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2009/03/11 23:47:59 (permalink)
After reading this review on the Leadbelly blog, my husband and I decided to check out 4200 Place.  They have daily specials and do breakfast all day (and it looks great) but since we were there for dinner I went for the pork tenderloin and my husband had the 4200 burger.  The pork tenderloin was great (and huge), pounded very thin and fried crisp.  Even folded in half, it still overlapped the oversized bun!  In hindsight, I really shouldn't have ordered fries to go with it.  :) 

Husband's burger was also good, and he had the fries and gravy.  Nice, but kind of rich.  I think we both sort of hurt ourselves re: the food portion, and sadly, it left no room for dessert.  I didn't catch what kind of pies they had that day (although I thought I heard the waitress say sugar cream?), but in the dining room, you could clearly see three enormous homemade cakes.  One slice looked big enough for two people.

We'll definitely be back!  It's a nice, cheerful place, very friendly service and  I really hope it stays open.

4200 Place
4200 Kettering Blvd (on the corner of Kettering Blvd. and Marconi, across from the old GM plant)
Dayton, OH 45439

post edited by arianej - 2009/03/12 02:18:07
brittneal
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2009/03/12 01:28:49 (permalink)
Gave the Fairborn Family Diner another shot today.  I was a goodboy and didnt even ask about the prime rib!
We go there because my wife just loves the hot-shots.  SHe usually gets the beef.  They only use one slice of bread cut in half.  The portions are huge.  The meat and gravy alone must weigh over a Lb!  She always subs the homefries instead of mash(instant).  They also give you soup or salad and another side item along with it.  For 9 bux you cant beat it.  Tonite she treid the turkey version that was on special  Again about a pound of white turkey meat.  This was the real deal carved off the bone.
I went for the breakfast menu.  They also have huge breakfast dishes at good prices.  I had 2 over easy, ham, HF and rye toast.  The slab of boneless ham I got was over 1/2 lb.  Along with the mountain of nicely browned HF's i was lucky to finish half of it.  Its not the worlds best ham but still decent.. For $4.95 its tough to beat.  One day Ill remember the camers.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 11
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1