Where to eat in Des Moines?

Author
happytrails
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
2004/05/23 13:57:17 (permalink)

Where to eat in Des Moines?

We are spending the summer working at Adventureland in Des Moines. Where are Roadfood type restaurants in the area?

8 Replies Related Threads

boulderben
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Where to eat in Des Moines? 2004/06/03 19:12:40 (permalink)
    If your looking for some classic Iowan cuisine, check out the Machine Shed restaurant. HUGE portions and GREAT food.
    Hastyman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: Where to eat in Des Moines? 2004/06/03 20:59:20 (permalink)
    Maybe it's my Iowa-native bias showing, but I'm pretty sure Des Moines is one of the great undiscovered eating cities in the US. Some quick, off-the-beaten-path recommendations:

--George the Chili King (5722 Hickman) for good, greasy junk food. Best onion rings in Des Moines (though not in Iowa; that's the Ja-Mar Drive In in Fort Dodge), and Iowans take their onion rings very seriously.
    --Taste of Thailand (215 E Walnut) for Thai food (obviously). This place is extremely popular with the media throngs that come to cover the Iowa caucuses.
    --Cosi Cucina (1975 NW 86th St, Clive) for new Italian cuisine (bring money, though).
    --Stella's Blue Sky Diner (3281 100th St, Urbandale) for 50s-style comfort food--you can even get Velveeta on your cheeseburger there. Their mac & cheese is heavenly, and they have a full soda fountain.
    --Chuck's (3610 6th Ave) for old-school red sauce Italian. Chuck was the brother of Babe Bisignano, who was the dean of Des Moines restaurateurs for most of the 20th century. I always liked Chuck's better.
    --Big Daddy's Barbeque (1000 E 14th) for VERY spicy BBQ, and not just by Iowa standards.
    --Scornovacca's (2 locations on E 14th) for pizza.
    --B-Bop's (3 locations) is a fast-food burger chain, but it's really good. They have great fries.
    --Smitty's (1401 Army Post) for a tenderloin.
    --Friedrich's (many locations) for coffee to drink; Java Joe's (Court Avenue district) for atmosphere/music.
    --Limey's (1970 Grand in West Des Moines) for British pub food.

In Ames (30 minutes north), check out Hickory Park (a favorite BBQ place of Iowans, plus more wacked-out ice cream sundaes than you can shake a stick at), or Cafe Lavis (Campustown area, great eclectic cuisine) and Cafe Beaudelaire (pretty much the same, and it's even right next door to Cafe Lavis).

There's probably a TON of really good Thai and Vietnamese restaurants that I don't even know about; Iowa took in lots of Southeast Asian refugees during the 1970s and most of them settled in Des Moines. I'll go along with the recommendation of the Machine Shed, especially if you can get there before they run out of pan-fried chicken, which is almost as good as Ulbrick's (RIP) or Stroud's.

Your Iowa experience is not complete unless you manage to eat a tenderloin, a Guinea Grinder (basically, an Italian-sausage sloppy joe with lots of hot peppers and cheese), and a Maid-Rite. You should also try to get addicted to AE dairy products. But come late July/early August, eat as much sweet corn as possible.

Be sure to tell the Adventureland management that I'm still steamed they took down Der Flitzer, even if it was a million years old.
    Birdhunter
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: Where to eat in Des Moines? 2004/06/24 10:51:51 (permalink)
    Check out "RUBES" Steak House east on I-80. Take exit #117.
    It's a place where you grill your own steak.
    TonyGuns
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Where to eat in Des Moines? 2004/06/24 11:12:36 (permalink)
    Get a hold of the Sterns Roadfood book. I used it for extensive trip thru backroads Iowa. There is an old time cafeteria style place in DesMoines, cant recall the name. Been there since 40's or 50's. About a half hour east, in same town where Maytag has its office is the best pie I have ever eaten. Its something called the Coffe Cup Cafe. Sorry I cant recallnames, I have them at home. I can try and look and get back to you tomorrow. Dont miss out on this pie.
    albinoni
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: Where to eat in Des Moines? 2004/06/24 12:16:46 (permalink)
    Years ago we had steaks (twice) at Jessie's Embers and we still talk about it as being the best we ever had anywhere. I hope Jessie's is still there.

Charlie
    Hastyman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: Where to eat in Des Moines? 2004/06/25 09:36:11 (permalink)
    Jesse's Embers is definitely still there. A lot of people like Johnnie's Vets Club for steaks too, and if you've got lots of money (or a really good expense account), I hear the 801 Steak and Chop House isn't bad either.
    TonyGuns
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Where to eat in Des Moines? 2004/07/07 13:54:10 (permalink)
    Try Bakers cafeteria to see a DesMoines landmark. Food is decent but you will get a kick out of this old fashioned place. Bauders Pharmacy for best fresh strawberry ice cream.
    BBQ Barney
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 161
    RE: Where to eat in Des Moines? 2004/07/07 22:15:00 (permalink)
    I'm from Des Moines, so here goes---Thai Flavors, Saigon and A Dong for SE Asian food; Gino's, Barratta's and Latin King for Italian; The Royal Mile for British and beers; Sage and 43 for fancy expensive stuff; Big Daddy's has been closed for months and no other BBQ is worthwhile (however, since you are in Altoona, try the ribs at Claxon's); Greenbriar in Johnston for steak (Gino' also); Noah's and Centro for pizza; and Waterfront for seafood.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1