Where to eat in Milwaukee

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Poopy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 101
2006/02/16 10:57:53 (permalink)

Where to eat in Milwaukee

I am going to be in Milwaukee next month and am looking for interesting places to eat. I already have reservations at Maders and the Safehouse. Unfortunately, I won't be there on Friday for the famous fish fry (arriving Saturday and leaving Friday morning.)

36 Replies Related Threads

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4317
    RE: Where to eat in Milwaukee 2006/02/16 15:41:03 (permalink)
    I'm literally out the door on a two day biz trip. I'll give you enough info to eat for a week in Milwaukee when I get back either Friday night or Saturday morning. Unless chicagostyledog or Milwfoodlover gets here first.

Buddy
    morningglory
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 559
    RE: Where to eat in Milwaukee 2006/02/16 21:44:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Poopy

I am going to be in Milwaukee next month and am looking for interesting places to eat. I already have reservations at Maders and the Safehouse. Unfortunately, I won't be there on Friday for the famous fish fry (arriving Saturday and leaving Friday morning.)

This a great German restaurant. The food is wonderful.

http://www.madersrestaurant.com/

Please let us know where you ate, and what you thought.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3323
    RE: Where to eat in Milwaukee 2006/02/17 00:49:39 (permalink)
    Favorite Roadfood places in Milwaukee include:

Three Brothers-My favorite Milwaukee restaurant(Serbian), reservations are a must

At Random-dimly lit romantic 50's bar near 3 brothers serving every alcoholic & non alcoholic ice cream drink ever made

Jakes Deli 1630 W. North Ave-Best corned beef sandwich on earth. Grab a table or booth and dine in

Kopps-World famous custard

Benji's Deli-Chicago style Jewish deli serving good breakfasts & lunch. Try Hoppel Poppel for breakfast

Mader's-Fine German food. Visit the Usinger's factory store across the street

Sprecher's Brewery-Take the tour, sample the beer and the root beer

Solly's Grille-Famous for their butter burger(have it cooked medium or medium rare). Great banana malts

The King & I-If you like Thai food, this is the place

Beans & Barley-If you're into healthy eating, B&B's the best

Martino's Italian Beef- Milwaukee's best Chicago style hot dog/Polish

Zaffiro's-Excellent cracker thin crust pizza

Milwfoodlover will be back from Jamiaca this weekend and he'll add his choices. Between the two of us, you'll have plenty of great Roadfood places to eat.

Have a great trip.

CSD
    Born in Chicago
    Raised in Chicago
    Moved to Wisconsin
    Selling Vienna Beef hot dogs & Polish

Jim Ross
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Where to eat in Milwaukee 2006/02/17 10:27:08 (permalink)
    African Hut is very good. I didn't know what to expect, but found it to be a wide variety of wonderful stews. Very good on a cold night. http://www.africanpresentations.com/html/aboutus.html

Big Ugly Mich
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1302
    RE: Where to eat in Milwaukee 2006/02/17 13:56:04 (permalink)
    Also Karl Raasch's for German food.

Also Real Chili and George Webbs if you got a belly beckoning at 2AM. More for people watching, but if food's important, you can do better. Just not at 2AM.

Fish Fry at Serb Hall or Saint Florain's or Keelan's is great, too.

Mazo's has good burgers, but it's pricey.

Goldmann's is a neat store with a not-bad lunch and candy counter.

The most awesome candy counter in Milwaukee (technically Shorewood, but hey) is at Winkie's on Silver Spring just east of Bay Shore Mall.

Or head down to Kenosha and I'll spring for a garbage plate at Frank's Diner, the old boxcar. I've been looking for an excuse to try it.

Jamaican at the Rooster.
    Vital Information
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Where to eat in Milwaukee 2006/02/17 14:17:39 (permalink)
    I'd try to visit the new Milwaukee Public Market. Those from, say Cleveland, with a long standing public market, will find it small and a bit cutesy, those from, say Chicago (like me) without any public market will be duly impressed. The cheese place and the bakery are especially good.
    tjr
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 136
    RE: Where to eat in Milwaukee 2006/02/17 14:27:59 (permalink)
    Kopp's! Kopp's! You can do like we do when there for a few days and plan your attack by checking their flavors of the day on their website.

If possible, you may want to visit a cheese factory. Pretty much the closest, altho I might be wrong, is Widmer's in Theresa. About 45 minute (depending on which part of Mil you're in) easy drive up US41. Plus they open at like 4:30AM.

Another cheese store that's fairly reasonable is Brennan's! next to the Brookfield Kopp's. Plus Mama Mia's is behind Kopp's if you're still hungry.

Have not checked out the public market, some reports on another forum made it sound good but kinda overpriced.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4317
    RE: Where to eat in Milwaukee 2006/02/17 21:33:43 (permalink)
    OK, here goes:

Second the motion for Three Brothers. Along with Stroud's in Kansas City, Three Brothers may be the best examples of the total Roadfood experience(and now that Stroud's original location is closing this may the one and only best example). Good food, amazing ambience, great old building (it's on the national list of historic buildings), wonderful service, owned by the same family since the early '50s. If it's possible for Serbs to make soul food, this is it! Very tiny, always busy, reservations are a must! (414)481-7530. You're welcome.

If you like Mexican, get to the corner of 5th and National. There at least four very good to excellent Mexican restaurants, and just recently added one Cuban place, all within hopping distance of each other. Our favorites are La Perla and La Fuente, both on 5th, north of National.

I won't argue with chicagostyledog about King & I as the best Thai food in Milwaukee. I'll just add another contender to the list. Hong Thai in Hales Corners, a very nearby suburb of Milwaukee, also has wonderful Thai food. Try their signature "Volcano" dish; either chicken, shrimp or duck versions are all great. Also their Steam Fish, a whole red snapper loaded up with ginger, garlic and vegetables is a fragrant and delicious treat.

If you're not from an urban background, Speed Queen Bar-B-Q's neighborhood can be little intimidating. If this is not an issue for you, then check out Speed Queen. They might just have the best 'Que in Milwaukee. If you're not sure about the neighborhood, but you still want to try this, if you've got a place you can bring the food, do the drive-in thing and take it to go.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Turner Hall yet! Turner Hall is a grand old German restaurant in the tradition of The Berghoff in Chicago. Huge rooms with dark wood surroundings. If you want the Wisconsin fish fry experience without waiting for Friday night this is your best bet. It's all you can eat on Fridays only but you can get an ample single serving any night of the week. If I had to choose between Turner Hall and Mader's, I'd pick the former any day of the week!

I'll go along with all the other picks. I will say this though, Kopp's may have the better frozen custard, but Leon's has the best building hands down! This is classic middle 20th century drive in material with loads of neon and fluorescent lighting. For Heaven's sake, go at night when it's all lit up. A wonderful experience.

I really can't add much more to what's been already said except to wax poetic about all of it. Frankly though, I'm a little tired. You've got enough info to keep you fed for a week.

Have fun,

Buddy
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2346
    RE: Where to eat in Milwaukee 2006/02/21 01:00:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Or head down to Kenosha and I'll spring for a garbage plate at Frank's Diner, the old boxcar. I've been looking for an excuse to try it.
    Don't do it. Food poisoning + beyond ****ty service = would never go back. I grew up in Kenosha, I could name 10 other places you should go to instead.

I agree w/what the others have said. La Perla can be a bit loud, La Fuente can be very very crowded. But fantastic food @ both.

Kopp's had this flavor last week--ZINGER!!! Pieces of sponge cake, a raspberry ribbon & coconut. Heavenly! But you should really see Leon's, because on the drive there, you will get to see the Domes.

My personal recommendations:

I enjoy Beans & Barley, on North & Oakland. Very good vegetarian selection.

For something different, by the stadium there is a Chinese Restaurant/Sports Bar, called Long Wong's. The food is excellent.

Try a grilled cheese @ the Waterfront Deli.
    Farmallcub
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    RE: Where to eat in Milwaukee 2006/02/21 02:36:43 (permalink)
    Go and experience a George Webb. They may be a local chain but they have a good burger and have a lot of history in the Milwaukee area. The ones that I have stopped at had history of George Webb and talk about the meaning of two clocks that are on the wall.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Where to eat in Milwaukee 2006/02/21 09:32:57 (permalink)
    The 2 MUST GO places in Milwaukee are Jake's deli (only open for lunch) for the absolute best corned beef anywhere, and Kopp's for the best frozen custard anywhere, especially the nut varieties. And while you are at Kopp's, try a grilled cheese sandwich. If you can work in a tour, sample the product at Sprecher's brewery--great beers and out of this world root beer, cream soda and orange cream.
    St. Louis Browns fan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Where to eat in Milwaukee 2006/02/22 00:23:22 (permalink)
    Leon's Frozen Custard is a must. Also try the Omega for breakfast. It's a few blocks south of Leon's on 27th (south side) near I-894 and the airport.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3174
    RE: Where to eat in Milwaukee 2006/02/24 22:12:34 (permalink)
    Just got back from Jamaica. I agree with the suggestions and would like to add a stop at The Balkan House. I'd specifically recommend the Serbian hamburger NOT the cheeseburger (they both come with cheese but the burger has it on the the home made bun while the cheeseburger has it stuffed inside, but has no bun at all). If you are feeling particularly hungry, have a bowl of their veal soup. They are very new and are not yet in any telephone books. It's very casual so you won't need to dress up or need a reservation (yet). It's adjacent to the former Milwaukee Grille which is being converted into a Boulder Junction. This is on Forest Home Avenue between 76th and 77th. This place is a gem and quite inexpensive. Two big thumbs up!
    CpSpalding
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Where to eat in Milwaukee 2006/03/13 02:12:19 (permalink)
    If it's nice out, I really am fond of John Hawk's Pub. Great food and a really nice view. Of course the Safe House is a very famous bar with an awesome spy theme
    geomotz
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Where to eat in Milwaukee 2006/03/13 07:47:30 (permalink)
    Solly's and Kopp's are great back-to-back for butterburgers and custard (and only two mins by car from each other). The only problem is that I don't get to have the banana shake at Solly's because we save room for Kopp's!
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Where to eat in Milwaukee 2006/03/13 08:52:01 (permalink)
    My vote for a large, inexpensive, great, greasy cheseburger goes to the Nite Owl Drive-In at the north end of Mitchell Field. They recently opened for the season last week.

CSD
    Born in Chicago
    Raised in Chicago
    Moved to Wisconsin
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: Where to eat in Milwaukee 2006/03/13 08:59:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hillbilly

The 2 MUST GO places in Milwaukee are Jake's deli (only open for lunch) for the absolute best corned beef anywhere, and Kopp's for the best frozen custard anywhere, especially the nut varieties. And while you are at Kopp's, try a grilled cheese sandwich. If you can work in a tour, sample the product at Sprecher's brewery--great beers and out of this world root beer, cream soda and orange cream.

I agree with the posters comments on Jakes. It does not look like much but the corned beef is as good as you will ever get anywhere.

The selections is not huge but what they have is super.

I believe every time I have been in Milwaukee, I have done the Jakes thing.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Poopy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Where to eat in Milwaukee 2006/03/13 15:50:15 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the great ideas! I'm leaving on Saturday morning and will be there by lunch time. Everybody thinks it is odd that I am going to Milwaukee for Spring Break, but I'm originally from Wisconsin and have to buy tons of cheese, drink lots of beer, and eat lots of artery clogging food. I will let you know where I end up.
    stricken_detective
    RE: Where to eat in Milwaukee 2006/03/13 22:32:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    My vote for a large, inexpensive, great, greasy cheseburger goes to the Nite Owl Drive-In at the north end of Mitchell Field. They recently opened for the season last week.
    Is this the one that used to be Jessica's, back in the day???

One of these days I will take the day off & meet you @ Jake's for lunch, CSD.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Where to eat in Milwaukee 2006/03/13 23:23:46 (permalink)
    The Nite Owl has been there at least 60 years. It's a little bit farther east from Jessica's which is now an office building. Supposedly Elvis had his entourage pick up some triple cheeseburgers for what turned out to be his last Milwaukee meal. It's a great burger but the double is my limit. Inside, you order from a dutch door facing the kitchen. The meal is delivered to you but in a sort of honor system, after dining you walk back up and pay. I wonder how many hungry but poor customers over the years walked to the exit instead? Perhaps it wasn't that many but it's a nice touch. Each table has a malt vinegar bottle on it so one of these days I'm going to have to try the fish. I'm off Friday's at 12:30 and it wouldn't take much arm twisting to make a Jake's run. I don't have any Jake's pictures but here is a pastrami one from the LTHForum:
    Big Ugly Mich
    RE: Where to eat in Milwaukee 2006/03/14 12:34:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stricken_detective

quote:
    Is this the one that used to be Jessica's, back in the day???

Nope. It's about half a mile east of Jessica's, which is still open as of last month. On Layton Avenue.
    Big Ugly Mich
    RE: Where to eat in Milwaukee 2006/03/14 12:40:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stricken_detective

quote:
    Don't do it. Food poisoning + beyond ****ty service = would never go back. I grew up in Kenosha, I could name 10 other places you should go to instead.

Funny. I actually made it there a couple weeks ago and it was packed to the gills. I had a garbage plate with blue cheese that was to die for. The wait was about half an hour once I got my seat (which took about 20 minutes in itself. Lucky I was alone), and my only complaint was that I ate the whole thing, even the home made bread, and my belly ached for the rest of the day.

Now they're talking about selling it, so I'm sort of leery.
    stricken_detective
    RE: Where to eat in Milwaukee 2006/03/14 23:58:20 (permalink)
    Is that the one by Lenox??? By the SuperAmerica, next to the Packing House? If yes, I used to live not too far from there, and will have to kick myself for never trying it. My friend S lives in Oak Creek, maybe I can talk her into a Girls Day Out lunch??

That would be cool to have a Roadfood.com meetup @ Jake's. Safety in numbers! I've only driven past it to get to the Eastside from the freeway & it's closed every time.

As for Frank's, I much prefer Bubba's across from Marina Gardens or Bob's on North Sheridan. I might give Frank's another chance under new ownership.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Where to eat in Milwaukee 2006/03/15 06:50:25 (permalink)
    Yep, squeezed between Super America and Packing House sits The Nite Owl.
    Mmm double cheeseburgers thoughts and I haven't eaten breakfast yet!
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Where to eat in Milwaukee 2006/03/15 20:50:39 (permalink)
    I had a cheeseburger and a coke for lunch yesterday at the Nite-Owl, which happens to be a few clicks west of the Packing House. Bubba's, renamed The Coffee Pot is now owned by one of the former wait staff from the original Frank's Diner. I breakfast there every Friday morning. They offer a similar version of the Garbage Plate. John sold Frank's Diner over three years ago. The new owners cleaned the place up and serve excellent food. Stricken D, drop me an e-mail when ever you're in the area and we'll go to Jakes. BTW, in the next week, I'll be posting information about another tour: The WICCC Tour: The Wisconsin Cheeseburger, Corned Beef, Custard Tour. Jake's and Nite-Owl are two of the four Milwaukee stops. The tour will also include stops in Kenosha and Racine. Stay tuned!

CSD
    Born in Chicago
    Raised in Chicago
    Moved to Wisconsin
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Where to eat in Milwaukee 2006/03/15 21:43:43 (permalink)
    CSD- Have you heard of a place called Ron's Bar in Kenosha? A friend of mine who went to Carthage some time ago said they make a good burger.

Saps

Also, in Milwaukee, Zaffiro's pizza is the best thin crust that I have had, including the stuff in Chicago.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Where to eat in Milwaukee 2006/03/15 22:30:56 (permalink)
    Sap's, I've been eating Ron's 5X5's for 26 years. The 5X5 is Ron's famous cheeseburger. Ron sold the business to his sister years ago and moved to Florida. His sister recently sold the business to another family member and they're still serving the same great burgers. I've heard good things about Zaffiro's, but have yet to try it. Great cracker, thin pizza is available in Racine at Mike & Angelo's on HWY 20.

CSD
    stricken_detective
    RE: Where to eat in Milwaukee 2006/03/15 23:54:09 (permalink)
    CSD if you make it to Waukesha on the tour, shoot me an email. I will let you know about Jake's & thanks everyone for the Nite Owl suggestion, my friend will love it there.

OMG, Ron's 5x5...so. very. GOOD. Haven't thought about them in years. They used to deliver all the way out to just north of Carthage. They had good crab stuffed shrimp, too.
    pcdiva
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 591
    RE: Where to eat in Milwaukee 2006/03/16 00:01:47 (permalink)
    Just don't make the WICCC tour conflict with the New England Bus Tour, or I'll never be able to make up my mind or I'll spend a fortune in air fare!

Alice
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1