Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Benzee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1878
2004/07/26 19:22:35 (permalink)

Where to find the Largest Steaks ??

Hello all ,
A few years ago some buddies and I visited Arthurs Steakhouse in Hoboken NJ.
We put two 48 ounce steaks together to make it a 96 ouncer , and I knocked it off in about 55 minutes . Of course some side wagers were won and No despite many requests I will not ever attempt that feat again . Healthwise forget it , but alas in the prime of life , a great steak restaurant , it was the right time , for the right man .
HaHa . Yes I felt like crap for about three days.

Now the question for everyone . What steak restaurant has the biggest size steak . I have heard of a 72 ouncer I beieve in Texas . Any near NY.? Contests to go along with it ? Thanks for your help everyone.
Benzee

56 Replies Related Threads

jm199
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: Where to find the Largest Steaks ?? 2004/07/26 20:08:50 (permalink)

You are referring to the Big Texan Restaurant in Amarillo, TX.

Check out their website for the lowdown on getting it for free.

www.bigtexan.com

If you do NOT finish the 72 ounce top sirloin steak, salad, baked potato, roll and shrimp cocktail in one hour, it is going to cost you $50. Good luck.
    Hode
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Where to find the Largest Steaks ?? 2004/07/26 21:33:33 (permalink)
    If you want big / try Denny's beer barrel in Clearfield Pa. They have a SIX pound hamburger , to date no one has finished it yet. Many have finished the TWO pound and a respectable amount finished the ThREE pound. All I can say is "you want fries with that"
    BLAPPER
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Where to find the Largest Steaks ?? 2004/07/26 21:43:00 (permalink)
    DOMINICK'S IN SAN PEDRO CA. OFFERS A 72oz PRIME RIB WITH AN ORDER OF PASTA GARLIC BREAD AND SALAD ON THE 1st FRI & SAT OF EACH MONTH--THE COST? $24.95 (YOU CAN ALSO ORDER IT TO GO)----THEY ALSO OFFER A 26oz TOP SIRLOIN WITH THE SAME SIDES FOR $14.95 EVERY DAY.
    GO GET YOUR BEEF ON!!!!
    CoastFan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Where to find the Largest Steaks ?? 2005/01/23 20:31:31 (permalink)
    Restarting this thread I suppose.

In Portland, Oregon, Saylor's Old Country Kitchen (two locations still, I believe) serve steaks up to 72 ounces. If you eat it and the fixings within one hour, you get it "free" and have your picture posted on the wall of fame. It has been a good number of years since I've been to one, but the Westside location had the pictures of at least four women at the time.

In Denver (2 locations) and Dallas (one location), there's the Traildust. While a relatively modest 50 ounce top size (called the Bullshipper) steak exists, those are fun places, with cut-off ties on the wall, etc.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: Where to find the Largest Steaks ?? 2005/01/25 09:14:20 (permalink)
    I believe I recall "The Mayor" and his sons accomplishing the downing of a 72 ouncer on a previous thread. Honestly, I do not know how they did it.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7911
    RE: Where to find the Largest Steaks ?? 2005/01/25 09:40:30 (permalink)
    I can't vouch for the largest, but the best bang for your buck has to be the Tea Steak House in Tea South Dakota. Back in 98 the 32 oz T-Bone which came with Salad and Home Made Dressing, Hash Browns, Homemade Rolls and a drink ran about 20 bucks with tax and tip and as far as I'm concerned would give Peter Lugers a run for it's $$
    fdoosey
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Where to find the Largest Steaks ?? 2005/04/08 01:02:02 (permalink)
    http://www.grillsportverein.de/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1644&highlight=grinnell#1644

At 205 ounces, I defy anyone to top that behemoth. At what point do you go beyond "big food" to "insanity"???

I'm still tempted to try the six pound burger, or die trying.
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Where to find the Largest Steaks ?? 2005/04/08 03:39:27 (permalink)
    Years ago a local steakhouse had a six pound challenge. I was going to take one of my fellow big eating college buds out to try it on his 21st birthday, but they had discontinued it by the time his birthday rolled around. I knew several of the guys on the wall, and I think both of us could have done at least as well. Neither of us is close to being able to put that kind of food away anymore.
    Bluemaxx
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 465
    RE: Where to find the Largest Steaks ?? 2005/04/11 21:03:22 (permalink)
    After reading about 48 ouncers, 72 ouncers and 96 ouncers, the mini 24 ouncer that I knocked off last week at the Speckled Perch in Okeechobee, FL seems small. On the other hand, I was still hungry afterwards FWIW

BRING IT ON, BA-BY!!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15305
    RE: Where to find the Largest Steaks ?? 2005/04/11 21:22:22 (permalink)

Sundancer, It wasn't me...But two of my sons did complete the 72oz challenge at the Big Texan. I watched and did a nice 32oz PorterHouse. They did it in reasonable time(within the hour). What I find to be a real surprise is that one person set the speed record of 9 minutes for the whole meal...and another did two full meals within the hour. Now that is noteworthy.
    deanyoid
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Where to find the Largest Steaks ?? 2005/05/02 19:33:11 (permalink)
    Well i would have put my money on you yanks having the largest steak in the world!!! But then, I came across it in the Guiness Book of Records. Its actually here in the UK. And it was only a 30 minute drive from my house. I couldnt believe it when i read it so I went there. Its called the Kestrel Inn, its a small pub in a place called Tutbury in Staffordshire. I didnt order one but saw a photo on the wall of a guy trying to eat it. Anyway, its a 220oz steak. On the menu it says 'Bring your own Doctor' and next to the 100oz steak it says 'One for the wife!!!!!!!!!!!'
    Beat that.
    By the way, came to US 2 years ago- The Outback restaurant rocks. Blooming Onion and Prime Rib.
    Fantastic.
    Dean
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Where to find the Largest Steaks ?? 2005/08/29 16:15:30 (permalink)
    Just read this old post and it reminded me of a real Roadfood type of place it was in the Bangor Maine area it was called the Oranoka let me tell you it was the largest steak I've ever seen off a regular menu and I get around quite abit. Unfortunatley time took its toll on this fine food emporium and after many years of serving the Maine Black Bear croud they finally closed their doors. Chow Jim
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Where to find the Largest Steaks ?? 2005/08/29 18:02:13 (permalink)
    A restaurant named Gregory's Seafood Factory (independently owned - not a chain) recently opened in Quakertown PA. They offer a 132 ounce steak and while we were there, saw one being delivered to the table next to us, although 3 people were sharing it.
    Benzee
    • Total Posts : 1878
    RE: Where to find the Largest Steaks ?? 2005/09/04 12:33:58 (permalink)
    Hello all ,

Thanks for all the post on this subject .
    I have compiled a few of the large portion places on the East Coast .

Dennys Beer Barrel in PA had one person conquer their 6 pound burger , that with toppings makes it a total of 11 pounds.

The Clinton Diner in NJ also has a large burger 7 lb " Zeus "
    and with 5.5 pounds of extras adds to 12.5 pounds

Thr JRs steakhouse in Long Island has 3 locations and offers a 76 ounce steak challenge.

The Yankee Doodle Burger in New Haven Ct. has a contest with the record being 33 regular size burgers in 2 and 1/2 hours .

Those are the ones on the East Coast that I have gotten so far .
    Out of all those I would think the last one at the Yankee Doodle would be the one to go for .

For you Hot Dog fans , we have a Hot Dog tour on Sept 17th in New Jersey . Not a competition or anything but we will be going to 8 different establishments including the world famous Rutts Hutt that has been featured on the travel Channel.

The opportunity is there to consume as little or as much as you care .

Check out the Hot Dog , Sausage ans Brats board for more info .

Benzee

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: Where to find the Largest Steaks ?? 2005/09/04 12:39:56 (permalink)
    The Sundancer is not very good as I have an extreme problem consuming a 1/3 pound Hardees. How some of these folks do it amazes me.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    cinny_1968
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Where to find the Largest Steaks ?? 2005/09/05 00:38:20 (permalink)
    [We went to Gregory's Seafood Factory in Quakertown pa today and it was dog food, the crab was spoiled and the place totally sucked. Don't waste your money, if you want good seafood don't go her
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Where to find the Largest Steaks ?? 2005/09/05 02:03:50 (permalink)
    I have a problem downing a 1 lb steak anymore.. But if ya want the biggest steak, toss the grill in back of the truck, drive to your local Angus farm and pay the farmer to cut out a steak of your choice weight! (But be prepared to pay him for rest of the cuts)... Couldnt get any fresher or tastier than that!
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Where to find the Largest Steaks ?? 2005/09/06 16:01:56 (permalink)
    denyoid, your hat tip to Outback just goes to prove that the food in the UK is still crap.

In my experience, if you let you food cool in England, it will congeal and a white hue will appear.
    This is from the copious amount of lard they use in their cooking.

The first bloomin' onion I had was back in the early 90's at the Harborfest in Oswego, NY.
    It was at a bloomin' onion stand at about 3am after boozing all day and night.
    Needless-to-say, I have not had a bloomin' onion since.

SWOhioGuy
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 58
    RE: Where to find the Largest Steaks ?? 2005/09/06 16:35:39 (permalink)
    Does prime rib count?

I ate a 60-oz slab o' prime rib at Kreis', in St. Louis, going on 20 years ago. I think Kreis' is still there....

-SWOG
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Where to find the Largest Steaks ?? 2005/09/19 10:25:23 (permalink)
    I was at a sales meeting years ago in Sioux Falls, SD. I went to the head and asked the guys around me to order me a sirloin very rare. Came back, sat down and shot the breeze for a while. Food comes and they put down one of these 72oz things in front of me. It was about 1 1/2" thick and the size of first base.

Simply cut off 3/4 of it for later and had a wonderful meal.
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Where to find the Largest Steaks ?? 2005/12/19 19:03:54 (permalink)
    When you talk about these large steaks, are you not really talking about roasts? I would think anything above 3 pounds would qualify as a roast.

I would also guess that large cuts come from large old animals. Not exactly the best dining experience in my book anyway.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18665
    RE: Where to find the Largest Steaks ?? 2005/12/19 19:18:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Greyghost

When you talk about these large steaks, are you not really talking about roasts? I would think anything above 3 pounds would qualify as a roast.

I would also guess that large cuts come from large old animals. Not exactly the best dining experience in my book anyway.

I regularly buy three-pound and up porterhouse steaks to make for my grandson. They're not roasts. Where in the world did you ever get such an idea?
    Willly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: Where to find the Largest Steaks ?? 2005/12/19 19:41:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

I regularly buy three-pound and up porterhouse steaks to make for my grandson. They're not roasts. Where in the world did you ever get such an idea?

I agree that they are still steaks. However, at most of these places, I'm quite sure they are not "prime cuts."
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Where to find the Largest Steaks ?? 2005/12/19 19:46:59 (permalink)
    Best local bang for the buck is at Cattlemen's in Selma, CA (they have a few other California locations..) my hubby prefers the 32 oz porterhouse for 26 dollars..includes all the salad, bread, and beans you can eat.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18665
    RE: Where to find the Largest Steaks ?? 2005/12/19 19:59:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Willly

quote:

quote:

I agree that they are still steaks. However, at most of these places, I'm quite sure they are not "prime cuts."

Prime is merely a grade based on the amount of marbling (fat) in the muscle. While Prime beef is usually more tender and tastier than Choice, beef that is graded Choice is usually quite tender and tasty.
    Willly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: Where to find the Largest Steaks ?? 2005/12/19 21:04:24 (permalink)
    quote:

Prime is merely a grade based on the amount of marbling (fat) in the muscle. While Prime beef is usually more tender and tastier than Choice, beef that is graded Choice is usually quite tender and tasty.

Oh, I know that. What I mean is that a 72 oz. sirloin or prime rib for $50 or less is not likely to be a superior piece of of beef, considering what's going to happen to it...
    Illinois
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Where to find the Largest Steaks ?? 2006/01/01 21:33:18 (permalink)
    The BEEFEATER " />

The Beefeater Special is a larger portion of USDA choice top sirloin. For $24.95 you grill a 40 oz. steak and are eligible to participate in a contest.

If you eat all your dinner in less than one hour and 15 minutes, including a trip to the salad bar, a baked potato and Texas toast, you will become a member of our Beefeater's Club.

You'll receive one of these nifty medallions commemorating your amazing feat. On your next visit just redeem your medallion for one regular Prime Quarter dinner ($16.95 value).

Although eating a steak this big may sound like a monumental task, there are some people that have no trouble at all. In fact, the current record holder ate the entire steak, a salad, a baked potato and texas toast in 3 minutes and 54 seconds!

Prime Quarter Steak House @ http://www.primequarter.com/
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15305
    RE: Where to find the Largest Steaks ?? 2006/01/01 22:55:07 (permalink)

We stopped in at our local "Logan's Roadhouse" for a New Years eve supper using a gift card we got for Christmas. Their Rib-Eye Steak is a real Rib-Eye (Delmonico) not a Rib steak minus the bone. Anyway while swapping roadfood comments with the Manager (We go there now and then so he is at least aware we are repeat customers) Anyway we were talking about the place cutting it's own Steaks daily. I asked if they did any larger steaks than normally appear on the menu. He said they would with a couple of days notice to allow some 'aging' of the cut steak . I think when the holiday traffic dies a bit I will call and see if he will do a couple of 32 oz Rib-Eyes for one of my sons and myself. We will judge them against the 16oz Menu-Large steak offered to all. I'll report back about pricing and quality in a couple of weeks. This is a first-time effort for me working with a 'Chain' on a custom order. We can but hope for the best.

The place offers grilled skewers of Squash,Mushrooms,Bell Pepper chunks,Red Onion and 'Mater chunks with a good grilling 'juice' on them. I like the grilled veggies better than a baked potato with the steak.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Where to find the Largest Steaks ?? 2006/01/02 09:06:56 (permalink)
    I wonder if Al The mayor remmembers a steak house on the Ipswich Topsfield line called Jack Hackets Lakeside. Great spot with large steaks and well poured cocktails also. It was hard to find back then on a back country road. Maybe thats why a lot of couples were there with someone they sould'nt have been with. Chow Jim
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1