Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Schmelly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
2011/07/18 19:36:41 (permalink)

Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer

Hey guys, I'm at the point where I have to find a hood, fan, and fire suppression for my trailer....

Seems to be pretty pricey...almost too pricey...

Can anyone give me a link, or phone number where I won't have to cut off an arm and a leg to pay for it ? 
              thanks,
                             Schmelly

33 Replies Related Threads

stubby77
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    Re:Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer 2011/07/18 21:37:11 (permalink)
    Drive around looking for empty buildings that have vent stacks on the wall or roof, and then call the owner and offer to "remove the old junk kitchen equipment" for them. Tell them you'll charge half what their next cheapest disposal quote was. Some idiot is sure to pay you to take out that old vent hood!
    Barbeque barn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer 2011/07/18 23:39:24 (permalink)
    Look on craigslist or ebay. don't buy new! Used its 1/3 the price. Just don't get in a hurry to finish it.
    Brian Briggs
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 46
    Re:Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer 2011/07/19 01:13:59 (permalink)
    I am tearing out a 3' x 14' w/ Ansul system and a 4' x 5' w/o ansul system (linked to larger one currently. I am not a used restaurant equipment seller, just a guy who was given the contents of a closed down restaurant before it get flattened for office buildings.
    Schmelly
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer 2011/07/19 15:01:42 (permalink)
    My problem is I live in New Hampshire, and they are very strict on their policies....I can't just throw any hood on it...In fact, I'm not even allowed to install it...It has to be done by a professional...It has to be a "concession" hood....Meaning that it has to have certain measurements to it......
    Chicnscoop
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 291
    Re:Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer 2011/07/19 15:48:02 (permalink)
    You could drive down to Cart Concepts in Manchester, CT and they will build one into your trailer.

I had mine custom build for me by these guys
    http://www.kitchenstainlesshoods.com/concession-trailer-hoods
    They shipped me the hood and I installed but I did not need Ansul in my area.

Either way it would have cost me about the same in the end.
    stubby77
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    Re:Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer 2011/07/19 16:59:22 (permalink)
    Why do you need ansul? Are you having fryers? They should not require ansul for only a grill (I know someone who operates in NH with the same trailer as mine, which doesn't have ansul). I'm interested in knowing because I may be moving my rig across the border next year and I don't want surprises.
    Schmelly
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer 2011/07/20 18:47:27 (permalink)
    stubby77

Why do you need ansul? Are you having fryers? They should not require ansul for only a grill (I know someone who operates in NH with the same trailer as mine, which doesn't have ansul). I'm interested in knowing because I may be moving my rig across the border next year and I don't want surprises.

Yes we are going to have a fryer...And even if we only had the griddle and no fryer fire suppression would still have to be in the trailer.
    THE WILD DOG
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1465
    Re:Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer 2011/07/21 00:31:42 (permalink)
    it really depends on the county here, I know our county doesn't require it, nor does our city. I have seen both trucks who dhon't have them and use both a char broiler and a fryer.  I would think the char broiler would be a def yes to a system. I just want to get my truck up and running asap before they pass any new laws.. we shall see.

BackAlleyBurger
    • Total Posts : 1077
    Re:Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer 2011/07/21 21:03:03 (permalink)
    a fire suppression system in these parts is a simple kitchen rated fire extinguisher....  is that a possibility, or does it have to be an ansul style system ?
    Chicnscoop
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer 2011/07/22 16:01:41 (permalink)
    My town fire marshall ruled that we only needed fire extinguishers in our trailer mainly because we did not have the general public inside of our trailer - only employee's. We have fryolators and a full hood.
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re:Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer 2011/07/22 17:33:26 (permalink)
    Chicnscoop

My town fire marshall ruled that we only needed fire extinguishers in our trailer mainly because we did not have the general public inside of our trailer - only employee's. We have fryolators and a full hood.

so its okay if the workers get fried but not any of the public??? dumb ass rules, weather it;s required or not put the damn thing in some day your daughter or wife or someones daughter or wive, son, uncle etc, will be saved by it. should be country widw ruling if your omitting grease laden vapors.... ansul required. does it cost allot ? ,yes, s it worth it ? hell yes! would you send someone to the store with a car leaking gas on the engine? when your granson wanted to turn on a light to the bathroom would he have to hook 2 wires together to make contact? would you let him take a radio in the tub?of course not ............do the right thing here too.skimp some where else like in maybe dont get the hummer to tow it maybe a ole chevy??
    BackAlleyBurger
    Re:Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer 2011/07/22 20:02:55 (permalink)
    Buck & Vi's

Chicnscoop My town fire marshall ruled that we only needed fire extinguishers in our trailer mainly because we did not have the general public inside of our trailer - only employee's. We have fryolators and a full hood.
    so its okay if the workers get fried but not any of the public??? dumb ass rules, weather it;s required or not put the damn thing in some day your daughter or wife or someones daughter or wive, son, uncle etc, will be saved by it. should be country widw ruling if your omitting grease laden vapors.... ansul required. does it cost allot ? ,yes, s it worth it ? hell yes! would you send someone to the store with a car leaking gas on the engine? when your granson wanted to turn on a light to the bathroom would he have to hook 2 wires together to make contact? would you let him take a radio in the tub?of course not ............do the right thing here too.skimp some where else like in maybe dont get the hummer to tow it maybe a ole chevy??

im sorry but i have to ask.... just how are these workers going to get fried?? 
    ..... how do you figure "dumb ass rules"......
    "required or not"?? just do it??.....are you serious??
    should be required country wide?? and what is wrong with a good old fire extinguisher???

are you seriously trying to compare apples and oranges here???  gasoline and radios in bath tubs??.... cmon give me a break...
    you say do the right thing.... right thing for who??
    you do realize that an ansul style system is not instantaneous right?? do you even know that ansul isnt what it is?.... that is just the trade name for the "top dog" system....
    anything catastrophic that may happen (dropping a flaming 16# bowling ball into the fryer for example) is going to do its damage to the operator long before the ansul STYLE system ever kicks in....

am i neglecting the safety of my loved ones/employees by expecting them to know how to use a fire extinguisher? NO am i putting them in danger? NO 

i like reading most of your posts, but sometimes the fanatic skitzoid seems to come out.... how about keeping that fanaticism down in florida and leave the rest of us to our own respective regulations.....

lets see, the differences between an ansul style system and a good ol' fire extinguisher..... 

ansul.... grease fire starts.....wait......wait.......wait..........................wait, ok!, fire is put out, clean up a huge mess

fire extinguisher...... grease fire starts, throw some baking soda on it...... clean up a mess..... look over at your shiny silver canister and think "thanks for being there, glad i didnt need ya")

really bad grease fire starts.....throw some baking soda on it, that didnt work, throw some more.....still not working, pick up extinguisher, point and squeeze..... clean up a big mess...  

chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 1977
    Re:Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer 2011/07/23 00:25:13 (permalink)
    If you have a brick and mortar kitchen, and there are grease laden vapors produced, or the possibility of them being produced, you will need and automatic fire suppression system.
    Many jurisdictions slap the same rules on mobile units, not just on fire suppression, but on other building, health and safety codes too.

Some of you are not in major metro areas, the procedures are more lax in some of these these areas. Enjoy that.

I was required to have a system in my trailer, even if I was not, I would have spent the $3500 for piece of mind.
    What happens when your box of baking soda runs out, and you empty the fire extinguisher?  **** happens.
    I don't want my $50k investment burning to the ground because I could not put out a fire.
    And by the way, there is a hand pull for the system, set it off anytime you want.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer 2011/07/23 00:42:30 (permalink)
    I have to concur. Do what's required nothing more.

I see new people on this forum,write about a build out and often state "well if they ( health fire or what ever dept) require this I'll go two steps past that and install, A, B, and C.. And they spend way more money than necessary, only to find later that they need that extra cash to keep the doors open, in the first slow weeks or months.

You have to keep in mind that most requirements by any department in government are beyond what is really necessary. Illinois is probably the most over zealous state in the country in this area. We are so over protected that it's truly become a laughing matter.

Case in point I moved my trailer from one location to another and had to go through the entire inspection process all over again. No not the health department, but yes electric, plumbing, fire department, and zoning. It took four weeks of me sitting in the trailer from 8:30 am until 3:30 pm Monday thru Friday, waiting for the inspectors to show up and do their inspection, so I could start selling food. 

Finally I had them all done except electrical and it was Friday about 2:30, and I called electrical and told the gal that answered the phone I'm opening on Monday  at 11:00 am, and you need to get someone here today to do the electrical inspection. I explained every other inspector has been here at least once and some twice, and I had been waiting 4 weeks. She told me she would get back to me. She didn't so at 3:45 I called again, and she put me on hold and after a 5 minute wait she got back on the phone and said the electrical inspector had already been there. I told her he had not and he needed to sign off on my inspection sheet for me to open. She put me on hold and after a couple of minutes she told me the electrical inspector had driven by and every thing looked ok. And don't worry about the sign off sheet no one looks at them anyway. What a bunch of crap and a total waste of time for 4 weeks as far as I'm concerned.

My plumbing inspector once told me my drain pipes should have a 45 degree slant, from the drain to my waste water tank. I had read the rules over and over before I put my system together and had a licensed plumber come in and sign off on the job. I asked this inspector to show me in the city code where it said that? I handed him the code book and he said "oh it's not in the code book we just like to see that."

Sorry about the length of this post but you as a vendor are at the coded departments mercy, don't do one step past what they require, nor do less. Build it right and keep safety in mind but don't go beyond what's required you may just get yourself in a jam if you do.

By the way right after my conversation with the lady on the electrical inspection I went to a local watering hole to celebrate, and who did I spot at the end of the bar........the electrical inspector, and it was apparent he had been there for several hours. LOL  
    Jack
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2063
    Re:Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer 2011/07/23 10:16:33 (permalink)
    Schmelly

My problem is I live in New Hampshire, and they are very strict on their policies....I can't just throw any hood on it...In fact, I'm not even allowed to install it...It has to be done by a professional...It has to be a "concession" hood....Meaning that it has to have certain measurements to it......

I don't know what a 'concession' hood is.   A hood to remove heat and grease vapors is a hood.  All hoods are required to extend 6" pass the outer edge of the 'gas' cooking equipment.   So, line up the equipment line and measure the total length end to end; and add 1 foot.   Measure from wall to front of the equipment line; and add 6".   This is the required size of the hood.  The CFM required for the vent fan is about 200 cfm (200 -300) per foot length of the hood.   Note: some concession vendors have passed their inspections using residential range hoods (..???... don't know why,, but).  (If you do the math calculating the exhust air CFM and the total air volume of your trailer (CF); your will then see why an AC can not cool the kitchen while cooking. But the air flow though the window isn't bad.)

The 'fire suppression' or ansul system can be installed separately by the Extinguisher supplier.  This is the part that normally requires 'professional' installation and operational certification.     The ansul system is simply a pipe along the front of the hood with spray nozzles pointing down at the cooling equipment.  The piping has a hand valve to activate and connected to a supply tank; very simple.   Some extinguisher Companies may allow you to install the equipment yourself; then will test and certify the system.

This reference will explain the function and operation of commercial kitchen hoods.
    http://www.jeansrestaurantsupply.com/Vent-Hoods-Explained-W136C565.aspx

A local sheet metal shop should be able to build a new hood or modify a used hood for you. Check their price; then compare  to a hood manufacture.
    http://www.restaurant-services.com/hoods.htm
    post edited by edwmax - 2011/07/23 10:25:39
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer 2011/07/23 21:04:53 (permalink)
    BackAlleyBurger

Buck & Vi's

Chicnscoop My town fire marshall ruled that we only needed fire extinguishers in our trailer mainly because we did not have the general public inside of our trailer - only employee's. We have fryolators and a full hood.

im sorry but i have to ask.... just how are these workers going to get fried?? 
    ..... how do you figure "dumb ass rules"......
    "required or not"?? just do it??.....are you serious??
    should be required country wide?? and what is wrong with a good old fire extinguisher???

are you seriously trying to compare apples and oranges here???  gasoline and radios in bath tubs??.... cmon give me a break...
    you say do the right thing.... right thing for who??
    you do realize that an ansul style system is not instantaneous right?? do you even know that ansul isnt what it is?.... that is just the trade name for the "top dog" system....
    anything catastrophic that may happen (dropping a flaming 16# bowling ball into the fryer for example) is going to do its damage to the operator long before the ansul STYLE system ever kicks in....

am i neglecting the safety of my loved ones/employees by expecting them to know how to use a fire extinguisher? NO am i putting them in danger? NO 

i like reading most of your posts, but sometimes the fanatic skitzoid seems to come out.... how about keeping that fanaticism down in florida and leave the rest of us to our own respective regulations.....

lets see, the differences between an ansul style system and a good ol' fire extinguisher..... 

ansul.... grease fire starts.....wait......wait.......wait..........................wait, ok!, fire is put out, clean up a huge mess

fire extinguisher...... grease fire starts, throw some baking soda on it...... clean up a mess..... look over at your shiny silver canister and think "thanks for being there, glad i didnt need ya")

really bad grease fire starts.....throw some baking soda on it, that didnt work, throw some more.....still not working, pick up extinguisher, point and squeeze..... clean up a big mess...  

Damn I had a long rebuttal too but......................figured once an ass always an ass cant change em.. good luck with your fire extinguishers bud.  oh and by the time you get it out and pull the trigger your gone .... I wonder why there required by some/most states? I'll bet you believe you can still stick it to the man right ??lol how bout keeping that hillbilly backwoods, shade tree , zhit up yur way pal ! i'll just bet you were some sorta executive in your other life right? No wait ... "because you dont have one they aint no good and you dont need em, hell if you did need em you can put em in yurselves ,,, right??" go polish your................. van.............

post edited by Buck & Vi's - 2011/07/23 21:07:32
    BackAlleyBurger
    Re:Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer 2011/07/23 22:00:08 (permalink)
    by the time you get it out and pull the trigger your gone?? are you serious

you really have to wonder why they are required by some states??..... so your saying any state that doesnt require them is back woods, hillbilly, and shade tree??

oohh, and be man enough to say **** if thats what you want to say...douchebag....... see...that was easy 

uummm actually, not that its any of your business, i was in middle/upper management in my previous life,  in charge of 45 employees and give or take 12 million in revolving inventory....... was a good run until the bottom dropped out, but thats a different story for another time.....

it must really piss you off you have no skills outside of being a skitzoid fanatic and fear mongering....... the dems in washington would love your ass..... 

now to the real meat and potatoes of this reply..... what are you going to do when they come out with the next greatest thing in kitchen fire suppression, tell everyone thats using an ansul style system they are stupid and need to jump on the band wagon????
    im glad the world isnt full of people like you ..... we would all be rolling around in big plastic bubbles..... because hell, shoes are old school and you could twist an ankle!
    BackAlleyBurger
    Re:Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer 2011/07/23 22:03:20 (permalink)
    and yes, once an ass always an ass..... thats a two sided street there nitwit
    just because i call you out when you say stupid crap does not in itself make me an ass.....it just means i care, and hate to see you make yourself look ignorant 
    post edited by BackAlleyBurger - 2011/07/23 22:34:14
    Schmelly
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer 2011/07/24 03:45:03 (permalink)
    Not sure why I can't get quotes to work...
    Anyways it does have to be an ansul system...

And I know it sounds like such a basic setup but you really get raked over the coals so far from what I have seen....

I'm still on the look out for a fair and honest price.
    Southernsmoke
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re:Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer 2011/07/24 07:25:10 (permalink)
    Hey Schmelly,
    I recently purchased my hood and fan from Ventilation Direct, very good folks to deal with. One point to not forget, the duct between the hood and fan has to be fabricated and has to be 16-18 gage steel or stainless and seamless "welded".
    BackAlleyBurger
    Re:Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer 2011/07/24 11:58:54 (permalink)
    Schmelly

Not sure why I can't get quotes to work...
    Anyways it does have to be an ansul system...

And I know it sounds like such a basic setup but you really get raked over the coals so far from what I have seen....

I'm still on the look out for a fair and honest price.

your right, it is a very basic system, just think miniature sprinkler system..... for what you get, you ARE getting raked over the coals..... its basically nothing more then a pressurized bug sprayer with heat sensitive tips..... its disgusting what they expect someone to pay for one of those!.....

and for local HD's to force you to use one, especially in a truck or trailer is just simple minded in my book.... they do nothing that a regular, properly rated, and properly used canister extinguisher cant do.... outside of running like a scared chicken shlt at the first sign of trouble......

i think in all honesty, they dont want to be bothered with food trucks, and this is a perfect hurdle to stop most from being able to do it, ..........or at least scare away the not so serious about it.....

like the old saying, if you cant regulate with reason, price em out of the ballgame....
    Chicnscoop
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer 2011/07/24 19:41:45 (permalink)
    Wow, I go away for a few days and everyone has a melt down. Chill guys. No need to get on the personal attack game.

I just followed the rules here and when I built my trailer I met with every official who I would need to pass before I designed or built anything. There is no chance one of my girls could get trapped by a grease fire in my trailer. The hood and fryolators are in a back corner - full properly designed hood specific to my application with full stainless walls behind the area with non flamable support walls behind that. All cabinetry in my trailer is stainless as well. The girls would have to run the fryolator half empty to start a fire. The fan draws like it should so the vapor is going out properly and everything is regularly cleaned.
    Barry Digman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    Re:Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer 2011/07/25 00:49:59 (permalink)
    FWIW, I had the grease trap/hood/exhaust fan/Ansul system installed when I ordered the unit from Dreammaker. I'd submitted the plans and specs to our HD and they wanted the hood and exhaust. I had fire suppression added because it made sense to me. It's automatic but has a manual pull also. My understanding is that the suppression system has to be installed and certified by someone licenced to do so. You might contact the folks at Dreammaker for some guidance. 

nom nom nom
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re:Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer 2011/08/13 11:18:13 (permalink)
    lots of advice and opinions...much appreciated and good info for we newbies BUT...how much does the hood installation COST?...not the hood...the installation. ballpark...like the wiener.
    BackAlleyBurger
    Re:Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer 2011/08/14 00:23:06 (permalink)
    you can safely figure on at least as much as the hood
    Schmelly
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer 2011/08/19 09:00:03 (permalink)
    Southernsmoke

Hey Schmelly,
    I recently purchased my hood and fan from Ventilation Direct, very good folks to deal with. One point to not forget, the duct between the hood and fan has to be fabricated and has to be 16-18 gage steel or stainless and seamless "welded".

SS,
         thanks I was just reviewing this thread when I came across this....I am still looking for a hood, but I have a guy who will be reasonable with the install....I will make sure we do this.
    nom nom nom
    Junior Burger
    Re:Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer 2011/08/28 09:17:50 (permalink)
    Another grand? Really? Geeze. It never ends. I have everything I need to apply for my license with the exception that my hood is still in the crate..so close but sooooooooo faaaaaarrrrrrrrr.

Pre-packaged is looking better and better.
    nom nom nom
    Junior Burger
    Re:Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer 2011/08/28 09:36:09 (permalink)
    What if I were to buy a grill/griddle w/ gas and set it up OUTSIDE of the trailer? Do I still have to have a hood installed or could I at least get started that way?

I'll be doing my cooking in a kitchen. Basically, I'll just need to re-heat. I'm going convention oven which allows me to skip the fire suppression for now but YIKES...that install price is disheartening. I'll get there...but still...(sigh)
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Where to get Exhaust Hood w/ Fire Suppression for Concession Trailer 2011/08/28 10:19:45 (permalink)
    nom nom nom

What if I were to buy a grill/griddle w/ gas and set it up OUTSIDE of the trailer? could I at least get started that way?

nope
    post edited by Buck & Vi's - 2011/08/28 10:20:57
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1