Where to not go if you're hungry: III Guys in Mountain Top, PA

Author
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
2009/04/18 23:33:50 (permalink)

Where to not go if you're hungry: III Guys in Mountain Top, PA

We stopped in, got seated, got our drinks, and waited 20 minutes without having our order taken. So, we left. On the way out, I paid for the drinks, and told the cashier/hostess what happened... "Aw, I'm sorry!" No offer to even comp the soda and iced tea.

We went down to Kings, half a mile down the road, and had a great meal; appetizers, salads, a chicken tortellini soup I would kill to have the recipe for, sausages, peppers, chicken, etc etc etc.

Never again. There are 8 Italian restaurants in a 3 mile stretch of Rt 309 in Mountain Top; Sharon's Sub's, Januzzi's, III Guys, Whistle Stop, Tony's, King's, Luigi's, and Napoli. It's tough times in the business, and there are other restaurants where the people are happy to serve us.

9 Replies Related Threads

Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Where to not go if you're hungry: III Guys in Mountain Top, PA 2009/04/19 12:07:26 (permalink)
    Oh geez, that is not good.  And if they don't care, extra not good.
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Where to not go if you're hungry: III Guys in Mountain Top, PA 2009/04/20 18:31:19 (permalink)
    Apparently the staff at III Guys have very short memories and forgot about those other seven restaurants competing for their customers. Lapses of memory like this tend to put places out of business very quickly.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Where to not go if you're hungry: III Guys in Mountain Top, PA 2009/04/20 18:56:08 (permalink)
    The lapse in service I can accept; things happen. Someone didn't tell someone else that there was a customer. It's shoddy, but it's human.

The lack of attempt to do anything about it, that I find unacceptable. That is intentional, and uncaring.
    dobrosky98
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re:Where to not go if you're hungry: III Guys in Mountain Top, PA 2009/04/20 20:53:02 (permalink)
    Mosca, I always enjoy your posts!  You make me home sick.  I was born in W-B and all my family is out there, some in Mountain Top, too.   We always went to irene's out at lake silkworth for a buger. gone now.  Than we stopped a Jiggers' with our Grandpa.  and we would stop at Shelly's for pie.  Those were the good days.  Now when I go to see my family we have to stop at Dukeys, Hillside Dairy, Jones out at Harveys lake and Pizza perfect in Trucksville.  My husband laughs and asks if I am going to see my family or if i am going to eat.  I tell him both!!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18949
    Re:Where to not go if you're hungry: III Guys in Mountain Top, PA 2009/04/20 21:54:01 (permalink)

Now that the Scranton-Wilkes Barre team has switched to a Yankees farm team, do you think they'll ever achieve the International League glory the Columbus Clippers did when it was the Yanks AAA farm team?
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Where to not go if you're hungry: III Guys in Mountain Top, PA 2009/04/20 22:44:02 (permalink)
    11-0 right now, best start in SWB history. But I hate the Yanks. I liked the Red Barons despite their connection with the Phils. They were good neighbors.
    ScreenBear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1505
    Re:Where to not go if you're hungry: III Guys in Mountain Top, PA 2009/04/20 23:57:29 (permalink)
                                                           “It’s Nice to be Nice”

To those who don’t provide good service, I say this:

I never cease to be amazed, especially in these economic times, by the uncaring attitude of some folks, whether they’re a supermarket cashier, a waiter, a landscaper, etc., etc. 

For gosh sakes, perhaps you're not the chancellor of the exchequer. But hey, you’ve got a job and you’re eating, which is more than all too many people in this world can say.

You probably also think life is unfair. Well, y’know, no one ever said it was fair, or that it would be. Maybe it never will. But dignity emanates from within, not from your position in life. It wasn’t idiots who penned aphorisms like “an honest day's pay for an honest day's work” or “A penny saved is a penny earned.” They really mean something. They come from years of humankind’s inquiry into what’s really important. Benefit from this wisdom.

Don’t stoop to the rabble. You’re better than that. Start believing it.

Your kindergarten teacher wasn’t jiving you when she fed you all of this. She was telling you what to do, how to be, just in case you ever became President. That’s no laugh. OK, so maybe it’s a little too late for that. But it’s certainly not too late to be a good citizen…maybe a really great one. Just don’t expect a medal. It’s the doing that’s the reward.

There is no more noble pursuit than helping out your fellow man and making this a better planet, whether that’s fixing a guy’s car without cheating him, taking the time to teach a child a valuable lesson, getting a bill passed that will help our elderly or holding the door open for someone.

It’s called civility…the measure of a civilization. 

As my favorite bartender, Champ (may he rest in peace), always said, “It’s nice to be nice.” 

Try it. Join the human race. You’ll like yourself a lot more.

The Bear
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Where to not go if you're hungry: III Guys in Mountain Top, PA 2009/04/21 11:20:39 (permalink)
    Amen to that, ScreenBear. I make a habit of holding doors for people when I'm entering or leaving a building, and most folks smile and/or say "thanks". Occasionally, though, I get a rude, ill-mannered jerk who does neither; doesn't even make eye contact or acknowledge my gesture. What is wrong with people like this??? Didn't anyone teach them any manners when they were kids? In another thread, I mentioned the dread disease "stupiditis" that's infecting the American populace; this is a perfect example. "Civility" in this country is apparently an endangered species.
    MissKitty
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 292
    Re:Where to not go if you're hungry: III Guys in Mountain Top, PA 2009/04/26 07:33:28 (permalink)
    Oh its not just America, believe me.  If I do something like hold a door, stand aside to make way for someone etc etc and they just glide past without making eye contact or saying thank you, these days I will do it for them. Loudly and pointedly, at their backs. Sometimes I manage to shame them into a response.

As for the service, yes I agree with Mosca. Mistakes do happen and also everyone in service industries has bad days ( usually induced by one annoying unreasonable idiot customer too many ). But to neglect to make amends for a cock-up or lapse in service is really not on.

I do not believe in or expect servility from those serving customers, nor do I believe in holding the gratitude for having a job in the first place over someone's head, but I do believe in politeness, good manners, a willingness to do your job properly and  the power of a sincere apology if you fail at doing so. If you have several restaurants within a certain area whose standard of food is all about the same then it is going to be comfort, atmosphere and above all the service that will make one stand out above the others.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1