Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Where to put the Cole Slaw????

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 40 of 40
jm199

• Total Posts: 215
RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? Mon, 10/18/04 8:36 PM (permalink)

In Pittsburgh, you put the coleslaw on the sandwich, along with your french fries. Everyone knows that Primanti Brothers has been doing it this way for years.

Check out the Sterns review on this site. They have several locations in Pittsburgh, and even one now in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

plb

RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? Tue, 10/19/04 12:03 PM (permalink)
    My favorite sandwich: Pastrami with slaw and Russian dressing (or 1000 Island) on an onion roll. One of the best was at the Boston Deli in downtown L.A. (about 20 years ago, don’t know if it is still around).

dbear

• Total Posts: 131
      RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? Tue, 10/19/04 4:02 PM (permalink)

Slaw is one of my favorite foods. I like it on, or on the side, with a prefernce for minimal vinegar, though a little is OK. One of my fav's is a reuben with slaw instead of, or in addition to kraut. My family's recipe is similar to many here; shredded cabbage, carrots and a little onion, mayo, salt and pepper. We also use an ingredient I haven't seen on this thread; honey as a little sweetener. I prefer buckwheat as it adds an interesting flavor. Me gusta!
      db

jellybear

• Total Posts: 1135
        RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? Wed, 10/20/04 9:16 AM (permalink)
        If its a BBQ Sandwich it goes on top,Unless you want to look like a Yankee then put it on the side.

berndog

• Total Posts: 674
          RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? Wed, 10/20/04 10:11 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by carlton pierre

I never would have considered slaw as a sandwich condiment until I moved south. I personally do not care for it that way, except on BBQ, but I know a lot of people eat slaw dogs, lots of different things. I think it is an interesting , versatile food.

carl reitz

Slaw dogs ?
          Right medium - cabbage.
          Wrong condiment - should be sauerkraut.

8 million New Yorkers can't be wrong. LOL.

renfrew

• Total Posts: 696
            RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? Wed, 10/20/04 10:23 AM (permalink)
            you can judge a restaurant by its coleslaw. If they take the time to make good coleslaw and not scoop it out of five gallon tubs, chances are the rest of the food will be pretty good.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1909
              RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? Fri, 11/5/04 9:52 AM (permalink)
              I never liked cole slaw, and formed an even stonger opinion after hearing some of my day workers talk about working at a disgusting place that filled those 5 gallon tubs mentioned by renfrew. I do eat it now, but as he says only a restaurants that seem to make it themselves and as another poster also mentioned KFC. The Back Eddy in Westport Mass,in my limited opinion makes the best slaw, followed by Scales in Millbury Mass, and then KFC. KFC, I know, must come in those tubs, so I guess it depends on who fills the tubs in the first place. The most interesting way to eat cole slaw that I have seen is my Dad's method of dupming it on top of fried haddock. I eat it on the side. It is very likly that those of you in New England have eaten slaw made with my cabbage. I used to sell thousands of cases via the wholesale market in Chelsea.

CarolinaBill

• Total Posts: 207
                RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? Fri, 11/5/04 11:38 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by jm199

In Pittsburgh, you put the coleslaw on the sandwich, along with your french fries. Everyone knows that Primanti Brothers has been doing it this way for years.

Check out the Sterns review on this site. They have several locations in Pittsburgh, and even one now in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

JM - you from the 'Burgh too? Am a native but moved away.

Love the slaw on Primantis sandwiches. For the bbq hounds, LOVE slaw on the sandwich, which makes it "Memphis Style". It's a perfect mix.

Think I saw someone mention same, but LOVE the Colonel's coleslaw!

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                  RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? Fri, 11/5/04 12:05 PM (permalink)
                  Slaw ALWAYS on the side. The Colonel's is good. Just the right crunch for me.

A good slaw dressing is miracle whip(the ONLY time I'll use it)vinegar, and sugar to taste. Make sure you let the sugar dissolve well before deciding it's too sour. A little celery seed, and don't over mix. I also like the addition of a small amount of carrot and purple cabbage for color.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6229
                    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? Fri, 11/5/04 1:46 PM (permalink)
                    We were in the Pittsburgh area last week (Rochester, PA) and I took the SO to lunch at Primanti's. After driving past the place (I hadn't been there in 20 years) I asked a dock worker, "Where is Primanti's" to which he replied, "right ovah dere". Alright, I see it now, on the side street. We got the pastrami with cheese......topped with french fries and cole slaw. The waiter comes to the table and with great flourish WACKS it in half in front of you! Best sandwich I've ever had. This is the no mayo cole slaw.........tossed in vinegar and accompanies this gargantuan sandwich very nicely!!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                      Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 40 of 40

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com