Where to put the Cole Slaw????

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
2003/03/05 10:21:56 (permalink)

Where to put the Cole Slaw????

Does it go ONTO the BBQ Sandwich as in North Carolina? Or on the side on the same plate so the dressing gets stirred into your Baked Beans? OR In a separate dish so as to preserve the integrity of the individual segments of the whole mess???
While we are in the Decision-Making Forum...What about that dressing?? Mustard base? Vinegar base?? or Mayo ?
Coarse chopped cabbage? or finely minced?
Added onions? carrots? Raisins(yuck)? Pineapple(double yuck)?
Come on voice your thoughts on the one side dish we all enjoy with the "QUE"

39 Replies Related Threads

Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? 2003/03/05 14:19:04 (permalink)
    Definitely ON the sandwich, sweet mayo based, not too creamy and NO onions!
    travis
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? 2003/03/06 18:23:13 (permalink)
    On the side...always on the side, in a small dish: I hate it in the little paper pleated cups.

Chopped is OK, but long strands skeeve me out...maybe 1"x1/2" julienne.

The dressing has to be white - not too sweet, but I haven't gotten it right yet:
    mayo? Miracle Whip? sour cream? I just don't know.

Additives: carrots and maybe some red cabbage for color; bell pepper?
    NO: rasins, no onions, no pineapple (why would someone do that?)

I think that chain off the interstate with the rocking chairs outside does it well.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? 2003/03/06 20:31:52 (permalink)
    Hey Travis,
    The chain you refer to is the Cracker Barrel. AND you are correct they do a pretty good job with their slaw.
    About the Pineapple...We ran into that a lot in Hawaii (expected) and in many places in SoCal and Baja California (not expected in most of those. It is not an additive that I appreciate. We even ran into Mandarin Oranges in one place. (Triple Yuck)
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? 2003/03/07 09:35:27 (permalink)
    I like my slaw Memphis style -- in the bun with the sauced, chopped pork. It's a royal mess, but really good. Even better on that Memphis delight, a barbecued baloney sandwich " />, i.e.:

salembrewer
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? 2003/03/07 22:50:29 (permalink)
    Slaw on the sandwich. There is nothing so good to me than a Memphis style pork shoulder sandwich with that cool, crunchy, tangy slaw. I like simple slaws. My Yankee Gramma Ryan's (91 years old) slaw is from HER mother and is mayo (we use Cains)mixed with a combination sugar/vinegar dressing , is long strands of cabbage and has only a small amount of the thinnest julienne strings of green bell pepper, a grate or two of fresh onion and a decorative sprinkle of paprika. When I smoke a fresh shoulder, I always make this slaw, butter grill the rolls, dash on dab or two of sauce. A couple of those and it's hammock time.
    travis
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? 2003/03/11 16:47:17 (permalink)
    For a different take on slaw-on-the-sandwich, see these classic N.Y. Jewish Delis.

http://www.carnegiedeli.com/cdnymenu.htm
    scroll down to "Carnegie Gargantuan Combos"

http://www.katznevercloses.com/menu/index.html
    see 9. TURKEY, RUSSIAN DRESSING & COLE SLAW

I think one time I asked for sauerkraut on a hotdog in the Atlanta airport and got cole slaw - or maybe it was cold sauerkraut.
    jessicazee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? 2003/03/21 00:41:32 (permalink)
    I tried a slaw dog for the first time after watching that PBS hot dog program. But mostly in these parts our coleslaw (creamy, please) comes in a side dish as an accompianment to the hallowed Friday Fish Fry. But it has to be homemade, with a little whipping cream in the dressing, a hint of white vinegar. And it has to sit overnight to let it "weep." It's the kind my grandma (from southern Illinois) makes.

I hate those pre-packaged sugar-sweet varieties that have been processed almost to a paste. Uck. It's like I want to throw it in a fine mesh strainer and rinse off all the preservatives.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2888
    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? 2003/04/17 05:48:42 (permalink)

The dressing has to be white - not too sweet, but I haven't gotten it right yet:

I recently heard the secret is a little buttermilk...can't wait to try it!
    bumper
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? 2003/04/17 21:11:48 (permalink)
    EliseT Try a mix of Miracle Whip and mayo, seems to make flavor just right .
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? 2003/04/18 09:16:33 (permalink)
    The slaw on the Pork Chop Sandwich at the Snappy Lunch in Mount Airy, NC is darn near perfect!!! Food heaven!!

I like all kinds of slaws and here in Pennsylvania with all of the Amish and Eastern European influences, you usually can't go wrong---except at the chains of course.
    Julia I
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? 2003/06/05 10:40:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jessicazee

I tried a slaw dog for the first time after watching that PBS hot dog program. But mostly in these parts our coleslaw (creamy, please) comes in a side dish as an accompianment to the hallowed Friday Fish Fry. But it has to be homemade, with a little whipping cream in the dressing, a hint of white vinegar. And it has to sit overnight to let it "weep." It's the kind my grandma (from southern Illinois) makes.

jessicazee, if you get to Madison, try a slaw cheese dog or a chili slaw dog from Dog Eat Dog.
    http://www.wienersforthepeople.com/
    I can personally attest that they are completely messy and completely scrumptious!
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? 2003/06/05 10:51:20 (permalink)
    creamy slaw -- on the sandwich
    vinegar slaw -- on the side in a separate dish (easier to dispose of discretely that way)
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? 2003/06/05 15:38:33 (permalink)
    Hey Andy NYC--

Katz deli here in Houston is supposed to be as close as we get. I think you would be amused the way some of us Texans who have been there for lunch stand at the counter, reading all of those foreign Yankee foods on the menu and trying to figure out what they are, while the people behind the counter are hollerin at you. It was an experience.

Actually it is a very popular place after hours here. "I just can't help but tell ya, Katz never closes!"

What exactly is a Matzo ball anyway?
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? 2003/06/05 17:12:09 (permalink)
    Thanks for the matzo ball lesson Andy. Since I don't think I will be in NYC antime soon (maybe ever), I will try some next time I go to the Katz deli.

At least I will know what to order so I won't get yelled at.
    CoreyEl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 156
    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? 2003/06/05 17:58:59 (permalink)
    Slaw on the sandwich. I had a chili-cheeseburger with slaw at Andy's in Jacksonville, NC, and it blew me away. And I don't even usually like slaw.
    Julia I
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? 2003/06/05 23:12:39 (permalink)
    It's amazing how many sandwiches slaw tastes good on. I prefer a slightly creamy version, not too sweet, to the vinegar kind because it sticks to the sandwich better!
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? 2003/06/06 11:18:31 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayor: I love cole slaw on the side, in a sandwich or both at the same time. I have been making it for years. I grate a head of cabbage as fine as I can. I throw away any large pieces. I shred a carrot and add it to the cabbage. I squeeze in yes a garlic press a large clove of garlic into the mixture. I finely grate on a box grater half a medium onion into the mixture. Now comes the easy part. I use a lot of Hellmans mayo, maybe half a quart in a mixing bowl. I put in a few tablespoons of rice vinegar, I add a tablespoon of kosher salt, some black pepper, a tablespoon of white horseradish, some celery seed and a few tablespoons of white sugar. Mix it up, pour it on and refrigerate. Damn good.
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? 2003/06/13 17:22:44 (permalink)
    Please forgive me, I left something out from my recipe. I add a couple or few tablespoons of water to thin out the mayo mixture. If anyone tries my recipe, please let me know how you like it.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? 2004/05/06 11:14:27 (permalink)
    My husband likes slaw so good that he puts some on his sandwich and also some on the side to eat with it. I've even seen him make a slaw sandwich. We have a local barbecue place here in town that sells a barbcue slaw sandwich and it is one of their best sellers. Their slaw is so popular that they are now marketing it in stores all over North Carolina. It is called RO's Barbecue slaw. Some people even use it as a dip
    quote:
    Originally posted by howard8

Please forgive me, I left something out from my recipe. I add a couple or few tablespoons of water to thin out the mayo mixture. If anyone tries my recipe, please let me know how you like it.
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? 2004/05/06 13:54:03 (permalink)
    On the side, sweet but not TOO sweet.

There is one exception to the no-pineapple rule. That broccoli slaw that you see in the supermarkets, that's made out of julienned broccoli stem instead of cabbage? When made with a dressing that includes a hit of sambal, a can of drained pineapple tidbits fits very nicely in that.
    daveritzdog
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? 2004/05/07 23:25:26 (permalink)
    There can be nothing more satisfying than a classic cold Roast Beef, Turkey Breast, and Coleslaw Combo on Rye Bread with Russian Dressing! This is a Deli classic that is simple, yet robust with crunch and flavor! Give it a try!
    lamertz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 290
    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? 2004/05/11 22:52:42 (permalink)
    I'm with slaw on the Que or on the side. My southern friends make their slaw with mayo and sweet pickle relish. I love slaws of all kinds. My new favorite is shredded cabbage,with chopped apples,walnuts,mayo,and lots of lime juice. Another is chopped chinese cabbage,bok choy onions rice vinager,hot sauce.I really like slaw and as they say,it's good for you!!!!!!
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? 2004/05/12 10:21:18 (permalink)
    If it's good barbecue from a woodburner with a lot of smoky flavor, then the slaw goes on the side. If it's one of those roast pork gas-burner no smoke flavor that didn't come out of a bottle places, then by all means put the slaw on the sandwich. Mayo slaw please and not too finely minced...
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? 2004/05/14 13:41:40 (permalink)
    If i get the Q in sandwich form, I want the slaw on the sandwich. BUT I much prefer to have the Q on the plate (or in the heavy paper tray the way they serve it at Lexington # 1) with MANY hushpuppies and slaw on the side. Lexington style Q is served with slaw made with some of the BBQ sauce.
    LegalLady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 404
    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? 2004/05/14 16:58:14 (permalink)
    Finely shredded cabbage, mayo based dressing. ON the sandwich. We first tried Que this way at the Scottsbluff County Fair. NE isn't known for it's bar-b-que, and this was a new thing for us. Ummmm Ummm good.

The Lady
    Beer Belly
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? 2004/07/01 16:05:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by travis

I've started using a mixture of Miracle Whip, sour cream, ground mustard, fresh ground pepper, a little sugar and a little white vinegar. Pretty tasty.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5475
    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? 2004/09/21 06:23:19 (permalink)
    My favorite slaw? Colonel Sander's. What can I say, I'm warped...

Slaw on the side 90% of the time. 10% of the time on the BBQ sandwich.

MikeS.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? 2004/09/21 09:02:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeSh

My favorite slaw? Colonel Sander's. What can I say, I'm warped...

Slaw on the side 90% of the time. 10% of the time on the BBQ sandwich.

MikeS.
    Mike, there ain't nothing wrong with Colonel Sanders cole slaw also and the same with Captain D's.

When I make my own which is a lot more frequently than I used to, I cut my cabbage up pretty thing using everything except the stalk. I generally salt the stalk and enjoy it with my favorite libation. I add mayo, sugar, some coffee Mate creamer, small amount of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, about a 1/4 cup of finely cut sweet onions, small amount of celery and 1/2 jalapeno finely cut. I do not add salt until I consume. It seems that if I add salt to the mixture, it does not last as long.

I put it in the frige and let the flavors meld for several hours. It is much better cold.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Paul E. Smith
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Where to put the Cole Slaw???? 2004/10/18 19:13:03 (permalink)
    I never would have considered slaw as a sandwich condiment until I moved south. I personally do not care for it that way, except on BBQ, but I know a lot of people eat slaw dogs, lots of different things. I think it is an interesting , versatile food.

carl reitz
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1