The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)?

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 10 of 16, messages 271 to 300 of 453
saps

• Total Posts: 1551
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Sun, 01/29/12 7:09 PM (permalink)
Jim- the Colts are one of the more well-supported franchises in the league and are ranked #11 in value.  As far as tax burdens, Indianapolis is in the lower third of all NFL cities.  So I don't really know what you are talking about.  Neither do you.

I don't know where you get your number of 4000 hotel rooms.  The JW Marriott alone has over 1000 rooms, and there are about 6500 hotel rooms in the downtown region alone, and another 3500 in the rest of the city.  There are about 19,000 rooms in the metro area.  Not a lot compared to major cities, but certainly more than you came up with.

As far as the "Yee-Haw's" go, you've got plenty of that in Texas.  Indy has put on several events like the Indy 500 and several basketball tournaments, and didn't screw it up like the Cowboys did last year.

As far as people sleeping in their cars, RV's, etc., that's because Indy Race way has a capacity of over 250,000, quite a bit larger than any Super Bowl crowd.

Indy's not a bad town at all.  They have been stealing convention business from Chicago for some time now, due to ridiculous union costs.  It's not New York or Chicago, but they have good facilities and know how to handle large events, as good or better than larger cities.

Jim, get your facts straight, for one thing.  For another, it sounds like your jealous that Indy has the Super Bowl.  Moreover they should be able to handle it, unlike Dallas.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
    Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Sun, 01/29/12 7:33 PM (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

Davydd

MetroplexJim

BTW:  how does a hick town with only 4,000 hotel rooms get to host a Super Bowl? 

That "hick town" hosts the world's largest single day attendance sporting event every year and has been doing so for over a hundred years. They'll handle it just fine.

Most Super Bowl attendees don't stay in their cars, campers, tents, or RV's.  Just saying.

...and with that comment, I am just saying you don't have a clue as to what you are talking about.

Davydd

Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Sun, 01/29/12 7:41 PM (permalink)
      For the Colts Indy fans this is a significant Super Bowl they are hosting. Number one thing is they HATE the Patriots and Tom Brady as they revere their Peyton Manning. And with that, brother Eli matches Peyton in Super Bowl appearances and still has a chance of surpassing him now in wins. All this while Peyton Manning's future is in a cloud as to whether he will be back as a Colt or even play again.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Sun, 01/29/12 8:00 PM (permalink)
        You heard it here first:

Put a fork in Peyton, he is DONE! 

Love his attitude and his spirit, but he will NEVER be the athlete he once was, I would like to see him recognize this before he ends up in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15061
          • Roadfood Insider
          Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Sun, 01/29/12 8:21 PM (permalink)
          I see Peyton Manning becoming a driving force in the Colt's organization, in the business/marketing side, and lending his skills as a Quarterback Coach. I don't think he will play again, and certainly not for another franchise.

I can't believe this Pro Bowl Game...underway as I type. Watching it with the "almost no contact" rules makes it a quarterback passing exercise. Notice the upper deck of the stadium is less than half full.

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
            Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Sun, 01/29/12 8:25 PM (permalink)
            mayor al

I see Peyton Manning becoming a driving force in the Colt's organization, in the business/marketing side, and lending his skills as a Quarterback Coach. I don't think he will play again, and certainly not for another franchise.

I can't believe this Pro Bowl Game...underway as I type. Watching it with the "almost no contact" rules makes it a quarterback passing exercise. Notice the upper deck of the stadium is less than half full.

The "pro-bowl" is a joke anymore.
            The game being in Hawaii has always drawn small crowds, but now they put it before the SB, who wants to see the pros play touch football, If i had the choice i would pick going to the SB over the P-B anyday

Al - you are right on he would make a great mentor to Andrew Luck or Griffith3.

saps

Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Sun, 01/29/12 8:37 PM (permalink)
              I don't know, Al.  There is some animosity here already between Irsay and Manning.  Granted, the Colts have payed Manning handsomely, but Manning has not only put money in Irsay's pocket by putting butts in the seats and generating marketing revenue, but he has almost singlearmedly increased the value of the franchise and facilitated the building of a new stadium.  I don't have a problem with Irsay releasing him, but Manning deserves better than to be left twisting in the wind.  Then again, PR has never been the Irsay's strong point, evidenced by the way the move out of Baltimore was handled.  It's not good PR for the team or future free agents- Indy isn't really a destination city for free agents, and this doesn't help.
              If it does work with the Colts, it won't be until cooler heads prevail and he comes back around in a couple of years.  My guess is that if he doesn't play, he ends up as a TV analyst somewhere.  He'd make a helluva coach as well, but I doubt if he wants to go through that whole process.
              <message edited by saps on Sun, 01/29/12 8:39 PM>

Davydd

Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Sun, 01/29/12 8:47 PM (permalink)
                Saps, I think you have the wrong Irsay. Jim Irsay is the son of Robert who was the one that moved the Colts to Indy in 1984. At age 25 I doubt Jim Irsay had much input into that move. I don't know a lot about the son other than he has a fantastic home and spread in Carmel, IN.

saps

Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Sun, 01/29/12 8:55 PM (permalink)
                  You're probably right.  At that point, Jim Irsay was known as a playboy and kind of a wildman.  I don't know if he had anything to do with the team at that point.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
                    Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Mon, 01/30/12 10:02 AM (permalink)
                    saps

Jim- the Colts are one of the more well-supported franchises in the league and are ranked #11 in value.  As far as tax burdens, Indianapolis is in the lower third of all NFL cities.  So I don't really know what you are talking about.  Neither do you.

I don't know where you get your number of 4000 hotel rooms.  The JW Marriott alone has over 1000 rooms, and there are about 6500 hotel rooms in the downtown region alone, and another 3500 in the rest of the city.  There are about 19,000 rooms in the metro area.  Not a lot compared to major cities, but certainly more than you came up with.

As far as the "Yee-Haw's" go, you've got plenty of that in Texas.  Indy has put on several events like the Indy 500 and several basketball tournaments, and didn't screw it up like the Cowboys did last year.

As far as people sleeping in their cars, RV's, etc., that's because Indy Race way has a capacity of over 250,000, quite a bit larger than any Super Bowl crowd.

Indy's not a bad town at all.  They have been stealing convention business from Chicago for some time now, due to ridiculous union costs.  It's not New York or Chicago, but they have good facilities and know how to handle large events, as good or better than larger cities.

1)  Thank you.  That was exactly the kind of "rise" I was going for.

2)  Even though I had no dog in that hunt I felt really bad for Baltimore when Irsay the Elder packed the Colts into moving vans and stole out of "Charm City" in the middle of the night.  What a vile greedhead he was. 

3)  So, it's the Irsays that irk, not the lovely flyover town of Indianapolis.  But again, without revenue sharing Indy would not be considered a major league city.  I mean, come on - even you would admit that Indy is no Columbus, OH.  That said, one of my favorite all-time municipal politicians was Bill Hudnut.

saps

Jim, get your facts straight, for one thing.  For another, it sounds like your jealous that Indy has the Super Bowl.  Moreover they should be able to handle it, unlike Dallas.

Here in Dallas where a 300,000 seat speedway is just another local facility that makes the news a few times a year for causing suburban traffic jams, the local hospitality industry absorbed the Super Bowl crowds as easily as the locals inhale a half pound of cheap smoked beef for lunch.

That said, I enjoyed the Lord's Sense of Humor in punishing the hubris of our local Babbitts by inflicting a once in a decade winter weather event for Super Bowl week.  (If you don't live in Dallas you really have no idea of how truly freakish that weather was!)  That Act really put the kibosh on sinning and led that Arkansan megalomanic Jerry Jones to new hights in whining.

And if you're talking snow & ice you are correct in your assertion that Indy will "handle it".  We had to ship snow plows 400 miles from Lubbock/Amarillo, an Indy-sized town in the Texas high (3,000' higher) plains. 

MetroplexJim

Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Mon, 01/30/12 10:24 AM (permalink)
                      CajunKing

You heard it here first:

Put a fork in Peyton, he is DONE! 

Love his attitude and his spirit, but he will NEVER be the athlete he once was, I would like to see him recognize this before he ends up in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

The little drama being played out has everything to do with the vile spawn of Irsay the Elder wanting to avoid a $28,000,000 roster bonus due Manning.

I hope Manning has better sense than to try something physically stupid or try getting into a pi$$ing match with that skunk.

Peyton clearly has a career beyond playing as he demonstrates here with one of the funniest skits ever produced by SNL:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_3pPAuE0jw

Davydd

Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Mon, 01/30/12 12:22 PM (permalink)
                        Just for the record, the Texas Motor Speedway only has a claimed seating capacity of 204,861 not 300,000 and they've never filled it. But then we expect exaggerations from Texas. 

Ersay the elder (Robert) died in 1997. I'm not sure what he had to do with Manning's contract.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15061
                          • Roadfood Insider
                          Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Mon, 01/30/12 3:53 PM (permalink)
                          I think Papa (Archie) Manning has a lot of weight in whatever his sons become involved in. So far the boys have followed his guidence and I can only hope he is wise enough to keep his kids intact and point the right way.  I sorta think he will.

Sundancer7

Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Mon, 01/30/12 4:15 PM (permalink)
                            I am surprsed that Peyton has not negotiated for part ownership and head coaching position.  As many has thought, he was already a coach.  I doubt if the egotistical owners of the Colts would ever agree to that.

Paul E. Smith
                            Knoxville, TN

MetroplexJim

Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Mon, 01/30/12 4:50 PM (permalink)
                              Davydd

Just for the record, the Texas Motor Speedway only has a claimed seating capacity of 204,861 not 300,000 and they've never filled it. But then we expect exaggerations from Texas. 

Ersay the elder (Robert) died in 1997. I'm not sure what he had to do with Manning's contract.

Again, just havin' what fun I can with two teams I don't give a "S" about in the Big Game being held this year in the Little "city".

And the Irsay family is showing the same "classy behavior" toward Manning as they did to Baltimore:  use 'em, abuse 'em, then leave 'em.
                              Here's the obit for Irsay the Elder: http://www2.indystar.com/library/factfiles/people/i/irsay_jim/stories/1997_0115.html

And that was the Indy paper; imagine how it read in the Baltimore Sun!  What a prince of a guy he was!  And what a gentleman his son is, filing a lawsuit against his step-mother only five hours after his father's death.  The body wasn't even room temperature yet!  That boy is quite a planner.

So, it would surprise me if Irsay the younger wasn't playing footsie with L.A.!
                              <message edited by MetroplexJim on Mon, 01/30/12 4:55 PM>

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                                Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Mon, 01/30/12 5:08 PM (permalink)
                                I've been to both Columbus, OH and Indianapolis, IN

and this decision is not based on being a Hoosier, but I would rather be in INDY any day than in Columbus, OH.

Columbus, has Ohio State and not much else.

Sundancer7

Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Mon, 01/30/12 5:15 PM (permalink)
                                  mayor al

I think Papa (Archie) Manning has a lot of weight in whatever his sons become involved in. So far the boys have followed his guidance and I can only hope he is wise enough to keep his kids intact and point the right way.  I sorta think he will.

Al:  I agree with you.  Both the Manning boys are very bright just like their dad.  I think Peyton will come out of this way on top.  I do not think he will play again nor should her.  He and his brother have already proven their ability.  I think Peyton should be head coach and part owner.  Small chance of that happening.

Paul E. Smith
                                  Knoxville, TN    

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Mon, 01/30/12 5:36 PM (permalink)
                                    MetroplexJim

The best teams this year were the Packers and the Steelers.  

There are several million Pats fan's that would disagree with this statement

josefinajoisey

• Total Posts: 69
                                      Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Mon, 01/30/12 6:25 PM (permalink)
                                      Ahem...Jets fan....There's always next year. (and next year, and next year, and next year)

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3662
                                        Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Mon, 01/30/12 10:23 PM (permalink)
                                        Michael Hoffman

Well, I just learned that there's a Patriots connection at Ohio State, and it's not one of which I, a Giants fan, approve. It seems the assistant Ohio State women's lacrosse coach is Bill Belichick's daughter.

If Greymo is listening: Tell your granddaughter to wait till they get a new assistant coach before she commits to OSU --unless, of course, the Giants clobber the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

It is hard to believe  but there are at least 4 top lacrosse colleges interested in her and she is still in the 8th  grade!  She is a real athlete and besides that, she is beautiful, an A Plus student, and a wonderful loving kid. 

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7745
                                          Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Mon, 01/30/12 11:00 PM (permalink)
                                          Congratulations Josefina!!!!

You get a Superbowl right up in your yard!!!!

cavandre

• Total Posts: 1597
                                            Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Tue, 01/31/12 8:47 AM (permalink)
                                            josefinajoisey

Ahem...Jets fan....There's always next year. (and next year, and next year, and next year)

That's been my unfortunate mantra ever since Joe Willie knocked off the Baltimore Colts!
                                            But as someone that was born & spent most of my life in the NYC area, it's impossible to root for any sports team from Boston...go Big Blue!
                                            <message edited by cavandre on Tue, 01/31/12 8:50 AM>

MetroplexJim

Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Tue, 01/31/12 9:01 AM (permalink)
                                              wanderingjew

MetroplexJim

The best teams this year were the Packers and the Steelers.  

There are several million Pats fan's that would disagree with this statement

Week 8:  Steelers 25, Patsies 17.

MetroplexJim

Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Tue, 01/31/12 9:14 AM (permalink)
                                                Sundancer7

mayor al

I think Papa (Archie) Manning has a lot of weight in whatever his sons become involved in. So far the boys have followed his guidance and I can only hope he is wise enough to keep his kids intact and point the right way.  I sorta think he will.

Al:  I agree with you.  Both the Manning boys are very bright just like their dad.  I think Peyton will come out of this way on top.  I do not think he will play again nor should her.  He and his brother have already proven their ability.  I think Peyton should be head coach and part owner.  Small chance of that happening.

Paul E. Smith
                                                Knoxville, TN    

Thanks for reminding me.  Yes, Archie is a good man. 

Sadly, he had to become one in a hurry as he was just a boy when he discovered his father's suicide by shotgun.

Praise be to him for overcoming the trauma of such an unimaginable tragedy and becoming a good man and a good father.

CajunKing

• Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                                  Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Thu, 02/2/12 8:24 PM (permalink)
                                                  TOM BRADY -
                                                  OPEN MOUTH INSERT FOOT
                                                  http://www.thepostgame.co...most-hated-man-buffalo

MetroplexJim

Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Sun, 02/5/12 9:43 AM (permalink)
                                                    Finally, the day is upon us.  Time for predictions.

Both the Steelers and the Ravens showed that a strong rush gets Brady off his game. 

I think the Jersey Jints defense smells blood

And, even Joe Flaccid threw well on the Beantown Sieves.

Goober Eli Manning will be the MVP and for a day at least show why he was drafted ahead of Roethelisberger and Rivers.

----------------------------
                                                    BTW, what's the over/under on the humber of pounds of makeup Madonna will need in order to look decent enough not no make you hurl your nachos?

So:  Jints 33, Patsies 27.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
                                                      Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Sun, 02/5/12 9:50 AM (permalink)
                                                      MetroplexJim

Finally, the day is upon us.  Time for predictions.

Both the Steelers and the Ravens showed that a strong rush gets Brady off his game. 

I think the Jersey Jints defense smells blood

And, even Joe Flaccid threw well on the Beantown Sieves.

Goober Eli Manning will be the MVP and for a day at least show why he was drafted ahead of Roethelisberger and Rivers.

----------------------------
                                                      BTW, what's the over/under on the humber of pounds of makeup Madonna will need in order to look decent enough not no make you hurl your nachos?

So:  Jints 33, Patsies 27.

I agree...couldn't have said it better....Hope to see a parade down the Canyon Of Heroes on tuesday

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4715
                                                        • Location: Stoughton, WI
                                                        Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Sun, 02/5/12 12:43 PM (permalink)
                                                        MetroplexJim

For some reason words like "spackle" and "putty knife" come to mind.

I'll make an outlandish prediction: the Giants will come up with a key 4th down stop near the end of the game, but a personal foul on Michael Boley will give the Patriots new life and Brady will lead them to the winning score.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
                                                          Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Sun, 02/5/12 1:10 PM (permalink)

G... Go
                                                          I....invincible
                                                          A...and
                                                          N...never quitting
                                                          T...Tom Brady
                                                          S...stoppers!!!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
                                                            • Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                            Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? Sun, 02/5/12 2:50 PM (permalink)
                                                            And I have to watch the game with lleechef spouting Go Pats junk while my Giants -- the team of such legends as Tuffy Leemans, Ken Strong (my cousin), Sam Huff and Andy Robustelli -- march on to victory.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 10 of 16, messages 271 to 300 of 453

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com