Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)?

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 16
Author
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4005
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/03 08:47:22 (permalink)
Foodbme

Bad News from Stillerville:
Rashard Mendenhall is done for the season. Torn ACL. No Running Back and a Gimpy QB could spell trouble. Suit up Metroplex, your team needs you!

At 6'2", 235 I'm big enough.  But then there is the small matter of my turning 64 tomorrow.  Not that I'd care to test, I suspect that my "40 time" would be somewhere north of 6 seconds and my "vertical" less than a foot. 

My present goal for this Steelers season is not to lose to the Ravens three times.  Against Brady the game plan should be to hog the clock with a ground game.  With Mendenhall out and Pouncey being less than bouncy I am not too sanguine about such a prospect.
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2012/01/03 09:33:21
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/03 09:22:22 (permalink)
saps

Pictures tell the story- Welker getting facemasked by Polamalu, McCoy on the ground after getting cheap-shotted by James Harrison, and Palmer suffering a torn ACL, MCL, and PCL after Van Oelhoeffen went low on his knee.

You are, of course, exactly correct.

Football is a physical, violent game played by huge, fast, highly-skilled, and highly-paid players.  Therefore, it only makes sense that the ability to instill physical fear in a prospective opponent is desirable.  Witness the more skilled and talented Cowgirls being man-handled by the crappy Giants last Sunday.  The Cowgirls lost that game in the pits of their stomachs well before the whistle blew to start the first quarter.

The Steeler's Culture, which mimics the Steel City's Culture, was started by Bobby Layne in the 1960's, and has been since - win or lose - to have the opponent know that they have been in a football game, sorta like all that Pittsburgh Steel driving, floating, and flying against and falling on them let those SOBs Hitler & Tojo know they were in a war.

If you think that metaphor is overblown, please refer to any number of words and phrases uttered by St. Vincent of Lombardi.

With the deaths of Layne and Sammy Baugh "tough" and "Texas" ought not be used in the same sentence. 

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2012/01/03 09:29:52
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10085
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/03 10:52:45 (permalink)
As an AFC guy, it pains me to say that the AFC is remarkably weak this year.  Even the supposed good teams (Patriots, Ravens and Steelers) have serious flaws.  The NFC field is much deeper, with the Packers and Saints seperating from the field.  The Giants also have the look of a potentially dangerous team. 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18272
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/03 11:11:31 (permalink)
Crappy Giants? Male Bovine Excretement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7686
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/03 11:19:26 (permalink)
We've got several million extremely smug Pats fans here in New England.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/03 12:00:11 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

Everything is relative; their off-season will be at least week shorter than the Cowgirls.  (OMG, you should hear them cry, wail, and gnash their teeth on the local media; Jerry Jones has already said that Jason Garrett will be back as coachIn a related story, Garrett was seen buying his local CVS out of ChapStick!). 

Even IF the Jints slip by Atlanta, their season surely ends January 15.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/03 12:14:19 (permalink)
wanderingjew

We've got several million extremely smug Pats fans here in New England.

With Mendenhall done, Roethlesberger, Pouncey, & the OL limping and the inarguable fact that whichever team survives Steelers v. Ravens won't be doing so in one piece, smugness may well be in order.

That said, realize that the Beantown Sieves had the only winning record in the AFC East. 
The AFC North has three teams in the playoffs.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18272
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/03 13:00:00 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

Michael Hoffman

Everything is relative; their off-season will be at least week shorter than the Cowgirls.  (OMG, you should hear them cry, wail, and gnash their teeth on the local media; Jerry Jones has already said that Jason Garrett will be back as coachIn a related story, Garrett was seen buying his local CVS out of ChapStick!). 

Even IF the Jints slip by Atlanta, their season surely ends January 15.

I have a friend in Dallas who lives and dies with her Cowboys (and yes, she believes she's a stakeholder), and she's been out of pocket since the game.

As to the Giants' season ending January 15th, I have a hunch they'll be playing on.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3710
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/03 13:03:59 (permalink)
I love the Giants!  They are a fun team to watch.  I bet every team in the NFL wishes they had Cruz right now.  GO GIANTS!
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4978
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/03 13:09:39 (permalink)
The Giants did give the Packers a good game earlier this year, and if they beat Atlanta they would likely face the Packers in the second round (figuring that New Orleans beats Detroit in the 3-6 game).  Certainly the weather won't be foreign to them.

Brad
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/03 13:12:40 (permalink)
I would love to see the Giants play the Packers.  My  best friend lives in Green Bay and usually she ends up with the big smile on her face after the weekend football games.  I am hoping for a change this year!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15185
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/03 13:58:02 (permalink)
There are some folks involved with the NFL who I consider to be a "Class Act" and a positive image in the football 'world'.  The Manning Family, Archie, Peyton, and Eli (and the non-playing brother) fit that role in my Book. As does Aaron Rogers, Roger Staubach, Joe Montana, John Elway, Phil Sims, Howie Long, and even Terry Bradshaw and many others.  Men like them go along way to make up for the various 'Outlaw Self-Serving take-the-money-and-run' Types who really damage the image of the sport. Perpetrating the drug user image, exploiting others for their own satisfaction, and  even those dumb enough to allow their 'handlers' to rob them blind set terrible examples for those who want the sport to represent all that is "good" in this country.  

I know it's a pipe-dream, but I still like to see the camera shot of the players actually 'singing' during the National Anthem scene at the start of a game.
I just bought two 'COLTS' shirts for future use...The big Mens store offered them at bargain prices, while the PACKERS and PATRIOTS shirts were selling at a premium price.  Ya Gotta Believe !!!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10110
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/03 14:14:07 (permalink)
Mayor,
Please add Fran Tarkington, Johnny Unitas, Frank Gifford and Dan Marino to the list.
A non-players list would include George Halas, Vince Lombardi, Tom Landry, Paul Brown, John Madden and Don Schula, The Mara's and the Rooney's.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/03 14:20:21 (permalink)
Mayor, I am glad that you mentioned Phil  Simms.  I have met him several times and the best way I could describe him would be a"a perfect gentleman"..wish there were a lot more players out there now to set a wonderful example for young people.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6326
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/03 14:46:03 (permalink)
I'm generally very skeptical about athletes being held up as role models. For the most part they are 1%er freaks of nature with athletic ability most could not possibly attain. I could not help noticing every cited example was a white person in a sport currently dominated by African Americans. I don't know if that was intentional or just happened by the unintentional luck of selection. But if you must add people then Tony Dungy, Reggie White, Walter Payton and Alan Page (now a State of Minnesota Supreme Court Justice) should be added to that list.
saps
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1560
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/03 16:31:30 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

saps

Pictures tell the story- Welker getting facemasked by Polamalu, McCoy on the ground after getting cheap-shotted by James Harrison, and Palmer suffering a torn ACL, MCL, and PCL after Van Oelhoeffen went low on his knee.

Football is a physical, violent game played by huge, fast, highly-skilled, and highly-paid players.  Therefore, it only makes sense that the ability to instill physical fear in a prospective opponent is desirable.  Witness the more skilled and talented Cowgirls being man-handled by the crappy Giants last Sunday.  The Cowgirls lost that game in the pits of their stomachs well before the whistle blew to start the first quarter.

The Steeler's Culture, which mimics the Steel City's Culture, was started by Bobby Layne in the 1960's, and has been since - win or lose - to have the opponent know that they have been in a football game, sorta like all that Pittsburgh Steel driving, floating, and flying against and falling on them let those SOBs Hitler & Tojo know they were in a war.

If you think that metaphor is overblown, please refer to any number of words and phrases uttered by St. Vincent of Lombardi.

With the deaths of Layne and Sammy Baugh "tough" and "Texas" ought not be used in the same sentence. 

Big difference between intimidation and instilling fear in opponents and taking cheap shots and injuring players.  Violating the rules, using your helmet as a weapon, and going low on the knee aren't honorable ways to play the game.  There has to be some level of respect on the field, otherwise you'll be missing an awful lot of good players to injury.  If Roethlisberger were to take one to the knee, I don't think you would call it tough if at DT was going low on him.  Cheap shots are cowardly, hitting hard between the whistles is the right way to play the game.

Also, tell me how the Cowboys lost the game before the first quarter started.  I didn't notice how they were intimidated before the game started.  Apparently you saw something.  I know they played the Giants pretty close in the first game, so I'm unsure why they were frightened before this game. 

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/03 17:44:17 (permalink)
saps

MetroplexJim

saps

Big difference between intimidation and instilling fear in opponents and taking cheap shots and injuring players.  Violating the rules, using your helmet as a weapon, and going low on the knee aren't honorable ways to play the game.  There has to be some level of respect on the field, otherwise you'll be missing an awful lot of good players to injury.  If Roethlisberger were to take one to the knee, I don't think you would call it tough if at DT was going low on him.  Cheap shots are cowardly, hitting hard between the whistles is the right way to play the game.

Also, tell me how the Cowboys lost the game before the first quarter started.  I didn't notice how they were intimidated before the game started.  Apparently you saw something.  I know they played the Giants pretty close in the first game, so I'm unsure why they were frightened before this game. 

For the most part the Steelers play a violent game violently, but cleanly.  When bodies fly helmets will collide every now and then, but the Steelers are far from leading the league in "violent" penalties. 

Somehow I don't see Cruz blowing by Polamalu like he did against Newman, turning a little screen into a 77 yard TD.  The Steelers tackle; the Cowgirls (with the exception of Sean Lee) employ proper tackling technique only as a last resort. 

Ask Garrett an impertinent or repetitive question and he'll talk you to death trying to bring the questioner "over to his side".  Try the same crap with Tomlin and, if you're lucky, all you'll get is an icy glare. 

Jerry Jones has an unnatural, unfortunate need to be praised and loved.  But however much his hirelings kiss his a$$ it's never enough because nobody loves Jerry as much as Jerry does - even to the point of hiring himself as Director of Player Personnel!  Just as fish rot from the head, that dysfunction infects most in the organization.  On the other hand, the Rooneys hire a coach every few decades and step forward only to keep their house clean by punishing any miscreance swiftly, surely, severely, and discreetly.
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2012/01/03 17:47:49
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/04 09:08:05 (permalink)
Just in case anyone takes my attempts at humor above regarding the Steelers causing "Tebowing" as being  schadenfreude, let me make it perfectly clear that if I had to choose the Steelers winning with Tebow being injured and the Steelers losing and Tebow emerging intact I would unhesitatingly prefer the latter. 

Tebow is a good kid and the kind of role model I wish the NFL (and all professinal sports) had more of; God Bless him.  To those who mock his sincere Witness, I would refer to Galatians 6: verses 7-8.

CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6355
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/04 16:33:16 (permalink)
I got my annual Christmas Card from Tony Siragusa late this year ( Idnt pick up my mail fro over a week.

We met his rookie season when he played for the Indy Colts.  We still exchange cards each year. His "this is what we have been doing" letter is always a fun read.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/07 17:46:45 (permalink)
Here we go - first round predictions:  Bungles, Saints, Jints, Stillerz.
mbrookes
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1354
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/07 23:05:58 (permalink)
I have one thing to say:  WHO DAT??????

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/08 09:01:09 (permalink)
mbrookes

I have one thing to say:  WHO DAT??????

DAT BE THE NOLA SAINTS!  The NFC Championship game at Green Bay will be most entertaining and, as a "neutral observer", I think the Saints have a date in Indy.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3448
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/08 09:55:14 (permalink)
Gah. After leading us to expect better things all season, the Lions once again became the team that should only ever play two quarters, or perhaps five. What an abysmal second-half showing!

On the other hand...congratulations, Saints! You played incredibly well, and showed much class in choosing to take the knee rather than killing us further. Not every team would have.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/08 16:25:41 (permalink)
Go Giants!
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/08 18:58:15 (permalink)
The Giants-Packers game could be fun.  The Giants have a strong pass rush and the Packers have a banged-up offensive line, but I think an interesting factor could be that by game time Aaron Rodgers will not have been in a live game situation for 3 weeks and he might be under some heavy pressure early.

Speaking of Rodgers, the latest State Farm commercial that features him and B.J. Raji is hilarious.  I'm a lifelong Bears fan but it's tough to not like the guy (and that's the nicest thing I'll say about any Packer ever).

Meanwhile, the Steelers have apparently realized that a game is more than 1 quarter long and have gotten to within a touchdown...
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2012/01/08 19:02:27
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/08 19:20:50 (permalink)
Do the GEICO commercials with Brian Orakpo count as a Redskin actually making the playoffs?
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6326
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/08 20:09:26 (permalink)
Tim Tebow does it again. His detractors must be pulling their hair out.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/08 20:21:21 (permalink)
Yes, we are.............
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2564
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/08 21:37:23 (permalink)
Davydd

Tim Tebow does it again. His detractors must be pulling their hair out.

Who would've seen this coming?  Oh yeah.
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:Where's the NFL Chatter ('11 version)? 2012/01/09 08:23:12 (permalink)
After yesterday I think Elvis Patterson would be more than happy to pass along his famous nickname to Ike Taylor...
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 16
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1