AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 110
Author
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4564
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/02 14:59:19 (permalink)
Welcome to Cincinnati.
quote:
Originally posted by Robin Hood

....the law requires that they be compensated fair market value if they own the property or relocated to comparable housing if they are tenants. I don't think you can plausibly argue that Newport is worse because of this project.

I have said earlier that I won't argue the eminent domain issues here any further. I'd love to do so, but not here. If you want to do so, start a Newport on the Levee thread in the miscellaneous forum

quote:

I am glad to hear about Mio's and Nicky's pizza. So far the pizza has been mediocre. Dewey's would be ok, if they would just cook it all the way. I am tired of the limp slices that are a result of the pies being pulled out of the oven too soon.

Do what I do - request well done. In addition to generally crisper crust, I find the slightly browner mozzerella to also be more flavorful.

quote:

I've tried the Zip Burger (good), but it is awfully popular place and way too crowded. I will try the Mansion Hill burger soon.

I think you'll like that one. Also - do Zola's in Covington on Wednesday night for Burger madness. Excellent, excellent burger at a great price.
Robin Hood
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/02 15:20:28 (permalink)
No desire to argue the NOTL issue, and besides what good what it do? It's a done deal.

I will order Dewey's well-done. I'd actually thought about that before, but wasn't sure how it would go over. Nice to know it is an option.

I had a good pie at Adriatico's several months ago. Very good, spicy sauce.

I am a fiend for authentic Mexican taquerias, and I found one on Dixie Highway over in northern Kentucky, but would be interested about any on the Cincinnati side.

Also, what about Chinese? Are there any places that are doing real authentic Cantonese or Szechuan dishes instead of the gloppy americanized stuff? Someone told me there was a good dim sum joint somewhere in Northern Ky.

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/02 15:37:16 (permalink)
I'm not real good with the term "authentic", unfortunately, unless it involves local cuisine, so I leave those questions to others. Sorry. Give it a few days to get an answer, as some posters here do not check in regularly.
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/03 00:03:09 (permalink)
ROBIN HOOD~~

There is a place in a strip mall on Rt. 4 in Fairfield {north of Cincinnati} called Taqueria Mercado, which is pretty authentic. Always filled with Hispanics. They also have a Mexican bakery next door. I go there on the way to Jungle Jim's.

http://taqueriamercado.escapelatino.com/menu1.htm

Not in Cincinnati, but La Mexicana in Newport is supposed to be authentic. The owners are hispanic, and they do goat. I haven't seem much current about it, so I'm not sure it's still there.

http://cityguide.aol.com/cincinnati/dining/venue.adp?sbid=105133598

Pacific Moon is coming to Newport on the Levee. They used to do dim sum when they were located in Montgomery.

http://www.newportonthelevee.com/directory/detail.aspx?id=46

http://www.noodlesandrice.com/dim-sum-places-in-cincinnati-oh/

For some decent chinese seafood, King Wok in Clifton has a tank with fresh seafood. It's right next to TJ's new fave, Mac's Pizza {which I still haven't tried, although I live around the block!!}:

http://www.citybeat.com/gyrobase/Restaurant/RestaurantListing?restaurant=King%20Wok

Welcome to Cincy, and RoadFood!!

Robin Hood
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/03 10:21:53 (permalink)
Muchas gracias Soozycue!
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 422
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/05 01:46:08 (permalink)
Pacific Moon ( Alex ,Barbara and the killer staff) produce the best Dim Sum in town.
Lines are long but the wait is worth it. Try carry out if you want to avoid the "pile up".

Still going strong and great food for the adventurous eater...
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/05 09:33:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jjjrfoodie

Pacific Moon ( Alex ,Barbara and the killer staff) produce the best Dim Sum in town.
Lines are long but the wait is worth it. Try carry out if you want to avoid the "pile up".

Still going strong and great food for the adventurous eater...

Sorry jjjrfoodie, the Montgomery location closed on Memorial day.

From the Enquirer, Wednesday, May 24, 2006:

Local business
PACIFIC MOON CAFÉ HEADED FOR LEVEE

Pacific Moon Café in Montgomery will close at 3 p.m. on Memorial Day after 15 years. In mid-July, owners Alex and Barbara Chin will open their Newport eatery, Pacific Moon on the Levee. The Chins invite customers to stop by the Montgomery café to register to win a dinner for two at the new restaurant.

Jenny Callison

It is now August, and no news of when the NOTL location will open, or if they will do dim sum!! Going to the old website sends you directly to the new one:

http://www.pacificmoononthelevee.com/

CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6383
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/05 21:06:57 (permalink)
Has anyone tried Guenthers Steak House on Cin-Day road in west chester??

I had a friend tell me about it, I pass the place every so often there always seems to be cars there.

I ask because the friend has steered me wrong (food poisoning wrong) in the past.

LMK & Thanks
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/05 23:35:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

The kids and I shared a pizza the other night at Tom's Papa Dino's on Main (which looks to be anything but a main-type street) in Florence the other day and I found it to be fairly impressive.

Anyone been there? Care to share your experience(s)?

BillC and I had a carry-out pizza from Tom's Papa Dino's on Friday night. We usually order a veggie pizza from Pasquale's. Tom's Papa Dino's doesn't offer specialty pizzas so Bill ordered a pepperoni pizza. It was quite tasty. The sauce was more flavorful than Pasaquale's, although I found it just a tad too sweet and too salty for my tastes, but that didn't bother Bill. I admit I'm not fond of too much salt or sugar in most dishes. The pizza had been toasted nicely and the cheese was generous. The crust had a light, crisp quality, as TJ described, which enhanced the quality of the pizza. Overall, I thought it was a good pizza...better than average, and certainly better than any chain pizza.

The menu is old-fashioned in a pleasantly nostalgic way. They offer a tuna salad-stuffed tomato and several standard hoagies.

We liked our pizza well enough to work Tom's Papa Dino's into our rotation of Friday night carry-out dinners.

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/06 09:16:24 (permalink)
Sandy: glad you liked it.

I am sure you can put together a veggie pizza by adding any or all the veggies they have -- the standards, like green pepper, onion, mushroom, black olives, etc -- to a regular plain pie.

Cajunking: I have a friend who lives in the area and he thought it was good but not remarkable. I thought I had read somewhere that the steaks are CUT to order, so I have every intent to get up there someday. I live near the river and this is pretty much at the farthest northern reaches of the greater Cincinnati area, so it's a good distance away from me

Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/07 18:33:55 (permalink)
TJ,

Did you hear that Redfish in d'town Cincinnati has closed? The report I heard this afternoon on WVXU is that the parent company "has changed directions and plans to concentrate on its TGIFriday's restaurants." I'm having some difficulty understanding that move since the food at TGIF started really going downhill years ago. I've heard nothing good from anybody who has been to one recently. IMHO, that chain killed its own reputation for good. I think the parent company might be better off starting from scratch.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/07 21:58:47 (permalink)
yeah, I heard redfish went under on the way home.

a chain, certainly, but one of the better ones, at least in my opinion

I note that two of the restaraunts for which I did a capsule review have now closed - Redfish and Patoshniks.

sux
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/08 01:46:39 (permalink)
Pacific Moon's closing stunned me. I did Dim Sum there twice a month up til May of this year. Damn.

Latest CRA bits...

Paula's Cafe will open another location on Fourth Street in Cincinnati in the former Graeter's location. She plans to open by August 2006. She is also at Findlay Market. 513-381-3354  

Mai Thai opened in Florence, KY A sushi bar compliments the Thai menu. Open for lunch and dinner. 859-282-1888   

Amor Fiery Steakhouse de Brazil Churrascaria (pronounced shuh-RA-ske-REE-uh) will open in Mason in August 2006- featuring 16 cuts of beef, chicken, lamb, pork & sausage slow-roasted & grilled over an open flame. The skewer weilders are called gauchos, in honor of the Brazilian cowboys who invented this kind of cooking, and most will be natives of Brazil or Argentina. Over 250 bottles of wine available. Prices range from $39-$45 a person. 

Boi Na Braza will open early next year 2007 at the Crew Tower complex near Fountain Square. Boi Na Braza is Portuguese for "steer over embers" .

Jean-Paul's Paradiso, 6732 Clough Pike, Anderson Township. Open for lunch and Dinner 513-231-2780 www.jeanpaulspleasures.com  

Vinyl is a hip, innovative restaurant opening in downtown Cincinnati that will offer its guests globally influenced modern American cuisine designed for sharing, while transpofting them with sleek surroundings and a cutting edge musical atmosphere. Vinyl is located at 1203 Sycamore Street. They will celebrate their Grand Opening on Saturday, August 12, 2006. 513-898-1536
-----

ZA in Ludlow and Downtown closed.   6.22.06

Donna's Diner at 315 Greenup St. closed.   6.23.06

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/08 07:25:09 (permalink)
What is CRA, jjr?

Vinyl is going into the stainles steel space formerly occupied by Diner on Sycamore, so i am told.
Robin Hood
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/08 08:24:16 (permalink)
Vinyl is indeed opening in the former Diner on Sycamore. The daughter of a Gold Star Chili owner is opening this place with her husband who has some significant experience in the biz. Good luck to them. They seem to be swimming against the tide.
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/08 09:18:02 (permalink)
Sorry TJ, CRA is the Cincinnati Restaurant Association.
www.dineoutoften.com

Updates are slow and scattered but it does have news that Polly Campbell and her group do not mention.

Jerry
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/09 00:30:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cajunking

I had a friend tell me about it, I pass the place every so often there always seems to be cars there.

I ask because the friend has steered me wrong (food poisoning wrong) in the past.

LMK & Thanks

I have not eaten there, but I've heard it's good, and they have been going strong for years, which is a good sign.

The reason I replied is because Guenther used to also run the Cave bar in the Forum Apartments on MLK Dr. in Clifton. I worked for him. He was born in Germany, and was very hard to work for. It was the first job I was ever fired from, and his reasons were not sensible, but ~~ oh well. It doesn't make his food bad. I had heard he wanted the Cave to lose money because it would balance out his tax base because the steakhouse made so much $$. Just a Rumor
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/09 16:52:17 (permalink)
A friend just called me about a website she found.

http://space513.com/intro.html

Skip the intro, and scroll over the map. There are certain neighborhoods and businesses highlighted. When you click on a business, it gives a short synopsis, and a link, if they have a website. The only thing I saw that wasn't up to date was Simone's. However, when I clicked the link, the website is still totally functional.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/09 17:04:27 (permalink)
Interesting site.

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/09 22:21:43 (permalink)
The Enquirer had an article this past week about yet another[url='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churrascaria']Churrascaria[/url] opening soon in Cincinnati. This one - Boi Na Braza - is also part of a chain, albeit a small one, and will be located in the Carew Tower on the corner that faces Fountain Square. Opening by spring of 2007.

see: http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060804/BIZ01/608040347
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/10 19:54:49 (permalink)
There was a brief review of Jimmy's BBQ in this week's Citybeat

http://www.citybeat.com/2006-08-09/diner.shtml

My one visit was months ago, before they added table service and the fancier entrees, but the place (in a former Hardee's) has some definite promise. My almost-5 year old still occasionally asks if we can go there for ribs :-)
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/11 07:32:03 (permalink)
quote:

The kids and I shared a pizza the other night at Tom's Papa Dino's on Main (which looks to be anything but a main-type street) in Florence the other day and I found it to be fairly impressive.

Been in business at least 30 years, little ambience, daily specials with a focus on pizza and hoagies with some spaghetti dishes thrown in. I found the pizza to be excellent - a thicker crust than a typically like, but very airy inside with a somewhat crispy-crackery exterior, topped with plenty of their smooth, dark, very savory sauce, and plenty of cheese - more than some of you might like. Mushrooms were fresh, not canned, always a good sign. Toppings available were just the basics, nothing offbeat.

Karaoke on wednesday - first time I have seen Karaoke at a pizza joint :-)

It looks to me like they are slowly buying up the businesses around them to expand their very limited dining space.

Anyone been there? Care to share your experience(s)?

YEARS ago. (I'm talking early 80's.) Now I need to go back.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/11 07:38:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cajunking

LMK & Thanks

No, but I've noticed it for years. We had friends who lived up that way and I noticed it always seemed busy. For some reason it has always struck me as Nick's Chops & Chasers - North. I'm guessing it's one of those "best kept secrets" kind of places, just because it's been there for years.
As for food poisoning, I go to TGIFridays. 9 out of our party of 17 got it, and they said "Wasn't us!"
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/11 09:21:42 (permalink)
This week's Enquirer dining news includes a mention of the opening of the area's first (I think) Uzbekistani restaurant.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20060811/ENT01/608110303/

The relevant piece reads:
CENTRAL ASIAN CUISINE

The area's first restaurant to feature Central Asian food, Samarkand Café in Symmes Township, celebrated its grand opening this past week. Owner Rustam Egamov hails from Uzbekistan, where the ancient city of Samarkand is located. The restaurant serves pilaf (here spelled plov); manti, a steamed, beef or lamb-filled bread; kebabs and shahlik, among other Asian dishes. Open 10 a.m.-11 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday, 8697 Fields Ertel Road. 513-489-9333.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/18 16:42:47 (permalink)
Not really a Cincinnati topic - sorry - but fair warning that my Insider membership just expired, and so I will (sadly) not be able to post any more pictures on this website
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/22 13:14:00 (permalink)
quote:

Not really a Cincinnati topic - sorry - but fair warning that my Insider membership just expired, and so I will (sadly) not be able to post any more pictures on this website

TJ, you can use www.imageshack.us to host the pics and then paste the link into the body of your post and it comes up the same as if you had uploads the pics. Shoot me an e-mail and i'll explain. It is quite easy.

jjjrfoodie
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/22 13:45:36 (permalink)
True enough, JJR, and there are several other free imagehosting sites, but there's little assurance that the images will remain online for any length of time - I frequently see [x]'s where imageshack (and other imagehost sites) images should appear in various posts.....the image is no longer available
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/23 08:36:37 (permalink)
The first print review (albeit a brief one) is out for Amor de Brazil

http://cinweekly.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/a1/20060823/ENT0103/608230339/
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/23 10:13:43 (permalink)
Any suggestions for a place for lunch near Mason? I have to pick up some things that my wife is storing at her brother's place this Friday. Something relatively inexpensive but interesting would be nice.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/08/23 12:08:17 (permalink)
There is a Culver's near King's Island

On page 11 in this thread TPD mentioned a vietnamese place that I think sounds VERY good - just a few miles west of Kings Island

Within a stone's throw of the Vietnamese place is City BBQ, which is a chain but does do some VERY good bbq. The wife doesn't generally even like BBQ, but loves their brisket

There's a VERY old school coffee shop called "Big Top": http://dunes.cincinnati.com/dining/details.aspx?siteid=0&id=170&lid=258&cID=2. Not recommending it in particular, but it is a rare breed here in Cincinnati

I have not been to but have heard a lot of good about Pitrellis (family owned italian joint, not sure if they have expanded hours into lunch yet)
http://dunes.cincinnati.com/dining/details.aspx?siteid=0&id=2288&lid=3610&cID=2
http://www.cinweekly.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050216/ENT0103/502160348/1047
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 110
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1