The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Change Page: << < ..101102103104105106107108 > | Showing page 104 of 108, messages 3091 to 3120 of 3216

• Total Posts: 335
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 09/10/13 1:36 AM (permalink)
Bonk

Piada Web site says the first two Cincinnati locations are opening soon. One is on Paxton Ave. in Hyde Park and the other is in Mason on Mason-Montgomery Road.

Piada's the assembly-line, Chipotle-but-Italian place that is based in Columbus. I was very happy with my first visit near OSU, and hopefully the quality with translate here.

http://www.mypiada.com/

There is one location in Dayton on Miamisburg-Centerville Road (OH 725) in the little shopping center at McEwen Road, west of the Subaru (former Saturn) dealership.  I've eaten there 2 or 3 times; it's good.  It reminds me of Chipotle, only Italian style.

• Total Posts: 335
    Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 09/10/13 1:54 AM (permalink)
    I recently learned that Red Squirrel, famous for its double decker sandwiches, closed its locations in Fairfield, Sharonville, and Tri-County.  See http://www.bizjournals.co...e-three-locations.html .

Those three locations had their own website at http://www.redsquirrel.org .  The article went on to say that the location at 8227 Colerain Avenue (at Galbraith Road; northwest corner in the strip mall with CVS) is still open--and owned by the founder's son.  There is also supposedly a location in Queensgate (wherever that is).  I say supposedly because the new website at http://www.myredsquirrel.com/ , as well as its Facebook page at http://on.fb.me/14ARXPJ , has no info about the Queensgate location.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
      Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 09/10/13 3:28 PM (permalink)
      I learned today that there is a new eatery in Milford\Day Heights (on 131 near Angilos) called Island Boi South Pacific BBQ.  The food is described as Polynesian Plate Lunches which from the individual descriptions in the online menu seem to be similar to Hawaiian plate lunches

They've been open a month or so.  Anyone been there? 

https://twitter.com/IslandBoiBBQ1
      http://www.islandboibbq.com/

dlawson

• Total Posts: 237
        Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 09/10/13 4:17 PM (permalink)

There is also supposedly a location in Queensgate (wherever that is).  I say supposedly because the new website at http://www.myredsquirrel.com/ , as well as its Facebook page at http://on.fb.me/14ARXPJ , has no info about the Queensgate location.

It is in a small plaza on Dalton Avenue near downtown Cincinnati, just south of the main post office. Considering its size, I would imagine it is more focused on carryout orders.

thisismylife

• Total Posts: 4
          Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 09/11/13 1:30 PM (permalink)
          Hi!
          i think no better than a very tasty Humburer yummy

<message edited by thisismylife on Wed, 09/11/13 1:33 PM>

Bonk

• Total Posts: 503
            Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 09/11/13 11:32 PM (permalink)
            TJ Jackson

I learned today that there is a new eatery in Milford\Day Heights (on 131 near Angilos) called Island Boi South Pacific BBQ.  The food is described as Polynesian Plate Lunches which from the individual descriptions in the online menu seem to be similar to Hawaiian plate lunches

No...never heard of it actually, but it sounds very interesting.

My wife loves that style of cuisine, so I'll have to try it out when I get a chance.

dlawson

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 09/19/13 8:55 AM (permalink)
              Does anyone know if Goodies BBQ in N. College Hill has moved or closed? I have driven by it twice in the past two days, and it appears to be vacant.

TJ Jackson

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 09/19/13 9:29 AM (permalink)

I made it out there last night

Had the Kahlua pork sandwich,and it was huge and outstanding.  7.95 including fries and slaw, good value as well

Now mind you, although "bbq" is in their name, they don't actually bbq, as there is no smoking involved.   It is a very flavorful pork that is roasted and shredded, and like a good bbq pulled pork sandwich it is moist and has enough flavor that while sauce is good with it, it is not required.  Edit: the sauce that goes with the pork is a commercial sauce (and it's fairly good), which is a little disappointing.  I am however told their katsu sauce is made in-house

I chatted with the owner (a former pro wrestler who went by the handle "Rosey") for a few minutes and he was very genial and accomodating.   He does plan on adding more samoan/hawaiian eats as the business grows, possibly (no promises) including shoyu chicken.

Highly recommended
                <message edited by TJ Jackson on Mon, 09/23/13 7:08 PM>

Bonk

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 09/23/13 4:49 PM (permalink)
                  You've convinced me. We'll try to make it out this weekend. Any idea on hours? They aren't on the site.

By the way, Anderson Bar & Grill is re-opening today under the same name with new ownership. I'll have to see what the food's like at Version 2.0.

As has been mentioned in the previous pages, the former cooks and managers are now operating Swampwater on Kellogg and the food there is very good.
                  <message edited by Bonk on Mon, 09/23/13 5:30 PM>

TJ Jackson

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 09/23/13 7:11 PM (permalink)

Bonk

Piada Web site says the first two Cincinnati locations are opening soon. One is on Paxton Ave. in Hyde Park and the other is in Mason on Mason-Montgomery Road.

Piada's the assembly-line, Chipotle-but-Italian place that is based in Columbus. I was very happy with my first visit near OSU, and hopefully the quality with translate here.

There is one location in Dayton on Miamisburg-Centerville Road (OH 725) in the little shopping center at McEwen Road, west of the Subaru (former Saturn) dealership.  I've eaten there 2 or 3 times; it's good.  It reminds me of Chipotle, only Italian style.
                    The Hyde Park plaza location is now open, and a co-worker who has already eaten there had nothing but praise for the eats.  He brought me back a carryout menu, and it looks decently good though the prices are notably higher than Chipotles despite being a very similar concept (wrap, bowl, or salad topped with protein choice and accessories, assembly line style)
                    <message edited by TJ Jackson on Mon, 09/23/13 7:16 PM>

TJ Jackson

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 09/23/13 7:15 PM (permalink)
                      There is a hot dog stand out on the weekends (might also be during the week, but I dont get into Newtown except on the weekends, so I dunno) at the oil change shop on 32 in Newtown

It's called U Lucky Dog. 

I found nothing by asking Mr Google about the place

Anyone been there?  **Paging Mr McKee to the white courtesy phone**

Bonk

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 09/23/13 7:37 PM (permalink)
                        TJ Jackson

Bonk

The Hyde Park plaza location is now open, and a co-worker who has already eaten there had nothing but praise for the eats.  He brought me back a carryout menu, and it looks decently good though the prices are notably higher than Chipotles despite being a very similar concept (wrap, bowl, or salad topped with protein choice and accessories, assembly line style)

Yeah, the prices are higher than Chipotle but the portions definitely make it worth it. I really had to force myself to eat my entire meal and my wife made two full meals out of it.

Bonk

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 09/23/13 7:38 PM (permalink)
                          TJ Jackson

There is a hot dog stand out on the weekends (might also be during the week, but I dont get into Newtown except on the weekends, so I dunno) at the oil change shop on 32 in Newtown

It's called U Lucky Dog. 

I found nothing by asking Mr Google about the place

Anyone been there?  **Paging Mr McKee to the white courtesy phone**

Hadn't seen that, but I'm always looking for a good dog place.

You're full of good ideas this month.

jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
                            Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 09/24/13 11:33 AM (permalink)
                            Hmmm... I saw it on my way home last week, but otherwise haven't heard anything about it. But I know the guy who owns Village Quik Lube, and I'll message him and ask about it.

My wife and I saw a BBQ truck a couple of weeks ago on Old SR 74, near Glen Este Withamsville. It's called Mountain's BBQ, and it seemed to be doing quite a business, but I also got no help from the Google-eyed search gentleman.

jmckee

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 09/24/13 3:02 PM (permalink)
                              Success re: finding out about U Lucky Dog. From Steve Frede, proprietor of Village Quik Lube:

"It's some pretty tasty stuff Jack, He's there Tuesday through Saturday ...he has metts, Italian sausage, and my favorite is the bacon wrapped hot dog...it's a change up from Wendy's and everyone seems to like his food, the dogs are good quality... Wendy's does not like him there."

Bonk

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sat, 09/28/13 9:05 PM (permalink)
                                Finally got to Island Boi BBQ with my wife last night. Overall I was very pleased.

I got the short ribs and my wife got the Island Boi BBQ chicken and we tried each other's.

Hers was really good. It was a good portion of boneless breast with a unique BBQ sauce that was delicious. It came with a cole slaw that she loved. I don't touch the stuff.

My was two big pieces of short ribs marinated in another sauce I can't quite describe since it's different than anything I've ever had. Very good, though.

It came with macaroni salad, which is something I usually don't like because those types of salads usually have egg chunks, onions or both.

But this one had neither and was really creamy. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

We both got two scoops of rice, which considering our dishes didn't really know what to do with, but I put some soy sauce on it and it went down just fine.

I also got an order of fries, which was just normal looking fries, but it was obvious they double fried them as they were very crispy on the outside. I liked them.

I'm looking forward to going back. Our bill was $24 and we had leftovers, and that was eating in.

Next time I want to try to Kahlua Pork.  

TJ Jackson

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sun, 09/29/13 12:09 PM (permalink)
                                  Update: Mr Google never found U Lucky Dog for me because it was actually 'U Lucky Dawg'

So here's the website and menu: http://uluckydawg.net/our-menu/

soozycue520

• Total Posts: 1026
                                    Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sun, 10/6/13 11:40 AM (permalink)
                                    dlawson

Does anyone know if Goodies BBQ in N. College Hill has moved or closed? I have driven by it twice in the past two days, and it appears to be vacant.

I went by Goodies yesterday, and the place is gutted. All signage is gone.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                                      Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sun, 10/6/13 12:13 PM (permalink)
                                      What a crying shame!

dlawson

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sun, 10/6/13 8:04 PM (permalink)
                                        I figured as much. I have actually driven by it a few more times over the past week and noticed the same thing, but haven't had much of a chance to post an update. Comments on their Facebook page also more or less confirm it, with no explanation as to what happened.

We finally used our LivingSocial coupon at Swampwater Grill, and were mostly pleased. My wife and kid both went with the fried shrimp platter, and I did the shrimp and grits. Everything was very good, but I much preferred the cornmeal-breaded fried shrimp that came with the platters to the boiled shrimp that came with the grits...just not as much flavor, and not nearly enough to cover the amount of grits they give you. (A departing patron noticed my order and "complained" to me about the same thing.) The leftover grits were more than enough for breakfast the next morning, and while leftovers are always welcome, I wish the ratio of shrimp to grits had been a bit better balanced. We definitely plan on going back, and the location is much more convenient than Andouille was (which we also enjoyed, but not enough to regularly drive about 40 minutes each way).

soozycue520

• Total Posts: 1026
                                          Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 10/7/13 11:02 PM (permalink)
                                          The first time I went to Swampwater Grill, I did the shrimp & grits. I have had some good shrimp & grits. Cincinnati does not have good shrimp & grits. The shrimp & grits at Swampwater Grill is heavy.  More grits than shrimp. But, still acceptable.
                                          The best thing I have had at Swampwater Grill is the pork chop.
                                          It rocks!! For $14.99, it is the best deal in town!

Bonk

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 10/8/13 1:09 AM (permalink)
                                            soozycue520

dlawson

Odd timing...they were doing samples for their bottled sauce at Eastgate Jungle Jim's about two months ago, and I bought a bottle.

dlawson

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 10/10/13 7:24 AM (permalink)
                                              soozycue520

The first time I went to Swampwater Grill, I did the shrimp & grits. I have had some good shrimp & grits. Cincinnati does not have good shrimp & grits. The shrimp & grits at Swampwater Grill is heavy.  More grits than shrimp. But, still acceptable.

I would place Swampwater's a bit above acceptable, but I agree that they are heavy and are noticeably "worse" than most of the versions I have eaten in the South. My favorite local take on "shrimp and grits" (which, admittedly, took some creative license with the dish) remains the prawns and hominy that Tink's used to serve. R.I.P.

In other news, noticeable progress is finally being made on Elephant Walk Injera & Curry House in the new Loop development in Clifton. It is an "upscale" Ethiopian and Indian restaurant (owned by an Ethiopian woman and her Indian husband) that will be open for both lunch and dinner. I am always a bit leery of these "combination" restaurants since they often end up being a jack of all trades and master of none, but since they will be serving two of my favorite cuisines, I am a bit more excited about the prospect. It will be especially nice to have a nearby alternative to Emanu (which I have always enjoyed, despite its odd location).

NYPIzzaNut

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 10/10/13 9:46 AM (permalink)
                                                Bonk

soozycue520

dlawson

Odd timing...they were doing samples for their bottled sauce at Eastgate Jungle Jim's about two months ago, and I bought a bottle.
                                                I know their sauce was an on and off again thing - do you know if they still have it in stock at the Jungle?  Were they selling the mild and and hot versions?

Bonk

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 10/10/13 2:57 PM (permalink)
                                                  NYPIzzaNut

Bonk

soozycue520

dlawson

I know their sauce was an on and off again thing - do you know if they still have it in stock at the Jungle?  Were they selling the mild and and hot versions?

That's a good question...I'm going back there in the next 48 hours, so I'll check and let you know.

When I bought mine at JJs a couple of months back they had both.

jmckee

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 10/11/13 9:42 AM (permalink)
                                                    Since I began working downtown in June, I've been exploring options. On Tuesdays, I have May Festival Chorus rehearsal in the evening, so I don't even go home. Instead, I go to the gym, then go to dinner.
                                                    Last week, I went to Bakersfield OTR on Vine Street near Lavomatic. It's as smallish place with a garage door that opens onto the street. The emphasis is on Tacos, made with tortillas made by hand in-house.
                                                    It's a nice, darkish place, with a grand wood bar and various sized tables. A TV was showing True Grit (the real John Wayne version). There is a fine array of tequilas and whiskeys. I had a draft beer and two fish tacos.  The tacos contained perfectly cooked crisp mahi and were dressed with a lime-tabasco sauce and a citrus slaw. The food is a go to heck mess -- dripping and scattering as you eat, with the tortilla starting to come apart because it's so fresh.
                                                    I recommend this place most heartily. I'll be back to try the mole and pastor tacos.
                                                    http://www.bakersfieldotr.com/

Bonk

• Location: Cincinnati, OH
                                                      Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sun, 10/13/13 4:47 PM (permalink)
                                                      NYPN - Goodie's sauces are still on the shelf at JJ's Eastgate. Both regular and hot.

NYPIzzaNut

• Location: Sardinia, OH
                                                        Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 10/14/13 12:38 AM (permalink)
                                                        Thanks for the info, Bonk!

dlawson

• Location: Cincinnati, OH
                                                          Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 10/14/13 7:22 PM (permalink)
                                                          Something else is already "coming soon" in the Goodies spot. There is a sign for "ON FIRE" (complete with flames on the lettering) in the windows, with no indications as to what it might be.

Edited to add: The Goodies Facebook page has now been removed, too.
                                                          <message edited by dlawson on Mon, 10/14/13 7:34 PM>

jmckee

• Joined: 11/26/2001
                                                            • Location: Batavia, OH
                                                            Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 10/17/13 10:24 AM (permalink)
                                                            I posted on this topic several days ago and for some reason it didn't show up. SO: Here we try again!

I took a job downtown in June, and I'm enjoying trying out all the lunch possibilities, in contrast to the chain wasteland that was my former Tri-County work area.

On Tuesdays, I stay downtown through the evening, since I'm a member of the Cincinnati May Festival Chorus, and we rehearse at Music Hall Tuesday evenings 7-10 pm. So I just leave work, go to my "workout" at the YWCA, then go someplace for dinner.

A couple of weeks back, I decided to start looking at places in Over-The-Rhine, and stumbled onto Bakersfield OTR on Vine Street, near Senate and Lavomatic.

Bakersfield has a garage door that opens onto the sidewalk area in good weather. Inside, the place is dim, but not too dark, with a nice ambiance born of lots of wood and brick. The bar is a dark old looking piece of wood, with a fine draft selection and an amazing array of tequilas. The evening I was there, a TV over the back bar was showing True Grit -- not the Jeff Bridges version, the real one, the John Wayne version.

The food menu features a couple of good-looking tortas and salads and some apps and sides, but the centerpiece is the selection of tacos. Tacos come on house-made tortillas, and the array is good -- from mole to pastor to short rib to huitlacoche -- corn fungus!

I had two fish tacos. They featured perfectly fried chunks of mahi mahi, crisp and not oily, with a fine flavor. They were topped with a piquant tabasco - lime sauce and a sharply astringent citrus slaw. At first bite, the sauce and slaw seem a little too citrusy -- but they're the perfect foil for the crisp, smooth fish. The tortillas were so fresh they were falling apart by the end of my meal!

I'm told the place fills up quickly in the evenings -- I was there at about 5:30 PM.

HIGHLY recommended. I'll be back.

http://www.bakersfieldotr.com/

http://www.bakersfieldotr.com/food-beer-wine-Otr.pdf

Highly recommended.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..101102103104105106107108 > | Showing page 104 of 108, messages 3091 to 3120 of 3216

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 4 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com