AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..106107108109110.. > >> Showing page 106 of 111
Author
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 546
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/12/18 13:34:52 (permalink)
 Due to boredom or more likely as a way to procrastinate starting my next project, I actually went through this entire thread the last couple of days.

I was amazed to see I came onboard on Page 25. I would've guessed 70 or 80.

It was interesting/amusing/sad to see all the places -- good and bad -- that've come and gone in the past eight years. There were way too many mentions of Patoshnick's in those first few pages.

I used to work in the adjacent building and practically lived there, and I'd cut off my right arm for a Philly wrap.

It was amusing to see TJ mention in 2006 that he was doing a lot of work near Pappadeaux's, yet just recently stopped in for the first time.

In short, this thread is awesome.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4614
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/12/18 13:58:19 (permalink)
When I worked near Pappadeaux's, I could barely afford to eat at McDonald's.  Not a high paying job :-)

I have now been there twice and I dearly love their food - make sure you get something with their chorizo -  but man-oh-man is it expensive.   Red beans and rice with 3 grilled shrimps is 13 bucks at lunch.  The mahi I crave is 18 bucks at lunch, more at dinner.

It's not Jeff Ruby's expensive, mind you, but still

(and yes, WJ, I know its a chain *laff* )
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2013/12/18 15:23:35
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/12/18 14:48:56 (permalink)
Yeah, I've been there twice as well and I concur (probably didn't mention it before because it isn't RF per se). Great stuff.

We love the boudin.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/12/18 15:24:46 (permalink)
One of the enduring mysteries of this thread: whatever happened to Wallyum?

And wesleyman?

And Sandy Thruthegarden?
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2013/12/18 16:11:36
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 253
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/12/19 00:56:00 (permalink)
Bonk
 We love the boudin.

I don't know of any place in Louisiana that would dare serve it the way Pappadeaux does/did (on a bed of rice, dusted with Cajun seasoning). It isn't bad, just different...and I realize that sometimes we just have to take what we can get around here. Fortunately, I'm heading down south tomorrow and will have access to the real thing through the end of the year. 
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1195
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/12/19 11:01:05 (permalink)
Bonk

Due to boredom or more likely as a way to procrastinate starting my next project, I actually went through this entire thread the last couple of days.

I was amazed to see I came onboard on Page 25. I would've guessed 70 or 80.

It was interesting/amusing/sad to see all the places -- good and bad -- that've come and gone in the past eight years. There were way too many mentions of Patoshnick's in those first few pages.

I used to work in the adjacent building and practically lived there, and I'd cut off my right arm for a Philly wrap.

It was amusing to see TJ mention in 2006 that he was doing a lot of work near Pappadeaux's, yet just recently stopped in for the first time.

In short, this thread is awesome.

I checked, and I first appear on page six, in an April 2006 conversation about The Root Beer Stand. I concur that this board is indeed a fun place to hang out and talk food. It's the biggest board on Roadfood, isn't it?

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/12/19 11:09:19 (permalink)
This thread is no longer the biggest (but that's ok, size doesn't matter :-))

This thread is: http://www.roadfood.com/F...or-DINNER-m666249.aspx
Time for Pie
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/12/19 11:48:35 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

That is a very generic thread topic...the auto racing forum I haunt has one just like it.  Which raises the real enduring mystery of this thread: why is this thread so popular?  Or better yet: why haven't other regional threads resonated quite like this one?  Is it due to the people who happened to arrive here?  Or maybe something to do with Cincinnati?  More local food available or more passion for the local food that is there?  The town has always been a place where otherwise-successful chains can find the footing difficult, so maybe that factors in.  Hmm...
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/12/19 16:58:38 (permalink)
It has to be the thread starter's personality, eh?

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/12/19 18:01:55 (permalink)
Nope, I am only a small part of this thread. 
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/12/21 17:31:29 (permalink)
Time for Pie

TJ Jackson

That is a very generic thread topic...the auto racing forum I haunt has one just like it.  Which raises the real enduring mystery of this thread: why is this thread so popular?  Or better yet: why haven't other regional threads resonated quite like this one?  Is it due to the people who happened to arrive here?  Or maybe something to do with Cincinnati?  More local food available or more passion for the local food that is there?  The town has always been a place where otherwise-successful chains can find the footing difficult, so maybe that factors in.  Hmm...

Probably a combination. A disproportionate number of people from this area have probably migrated here, and if you live here you know we REALLY NEED a thread like this in chain-hell territory. 

CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6559
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/12/23 16:06:28 (permalink)
For those of you that come to this thread and may have not seen the thread in the Meet & Greet Section...

http://www.roadfood.com/F...L-12-2014-m751539.aspx

APRIL 12, 2014 - Cincinnati Style Chili Crawl

So far we have over 25 people from around the country (and roadfood) coming into the city for this event.  EVERYONE is welcome to join in the fun.

The schedule has not been fully set yet, but it looks like 7 chili parlors, Graeters & aglamesis brothers, with stops at Eastern Jungle Jims and a stop at the American Sign Museum.

There will be more events as we get closer to the date, as some of the RFers will be arriving earlier and other eating events planned.

So take a look at the other thread if you are interested in joining us and meeting some of the out of towners from all over.

3 words of warning...  BRING YOUR APPETITE!!!!
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/12/23 23:27:29 (permalink)
I'm going to make an admission on this board that I'm not at all proud of.

I've lived here a long time, and I've tried Skyline, Gold Star, Empress, Eastside Chili and I think that's it in terms of Cincinnati chili.

I know I like Skyline and there aren't any of the well-known mom and pops near me so I've never gone out of my way to try any of the others.

That alone might be reason enough to join the crawl.
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1195
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/12/24 09:54:56 (permalink)
Bonk

I've lived here a long time, and I've tried Skyline, Gold Star, Empress, Eastside Chili and I think that's it in terms of Cincinnati chili.

I know I like Skyline and there aren't any of the well-known mom and pops near me so I've never gone out of my way to try any of the others.

Come....join us....don't be afraid.....MWA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAA.....
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/12/24 15:06:18 (permalink)
jmckee

Bonk

Come....join us....don't be afraid.....MWA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAA.....

Haha, I can't commit yet because I'm busy that time of year and can't predict my schedule. I'll do my best to make an appearance.

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/02 17:59:28 (permalink)
I just saw a tweet from Cincinnati Bites that indicates Cumin in Hyde Park has closed

soozycue520
  • Total Posts : 1032
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/05 15:59:23 (permalink)
I have not heard about Cumin, but Barrio in Northside closed recently. And, Chez Nora in Covington closed, effective today.
http://www.rcnky.com/articles/2014/01/05/chez-nora-closes-its-doors-mainstrasse-village
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/05 20:21:22 (permalink)
Took my wife to Mad Mike's yesterday while visiting the Friendly Market on Mount Zion Road in Florence.

I was just as impressed the second time, and my wife was very pleased as well. I got the same burger as the last time ('Shroomin I think it's called) and she got a Hawaii-5-0 which came with pineapples and bacon. The regular burgers are huge and cost $6.49 each, we split an order of fried pickles ($3.99 for five spears) and we both got a fountain drink. The bill was a hair over $22 and we were stuffed.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/06 23:15:23 (permalink)
soozycue520
Barrio in Northside closed recently.

Not surprising. Take the Cake also unfortunately closed at the end of 2013, something I was expecting for a couple of months, ever since they canceled the Sunday brunch. They will be missed, although the owners hinted at a new venture.

On the bright (North)side, Bistro Grace took over the old Honey spot, and reviews have been pretty good so far. I haven't made it there yet, but I am particularly curious about their Sunday $6 burger special.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/06 23:22:02 (permalink)
Bonk

Took my wife to Mad Mike's yesterday while visiting the Friendly Market on Mount Zion Road in Florence.

I was just as impressed the second time, and my wife was very pleased as well. I got the same burger as the last time ('Shroomin I think it's called) and she got a Hawaii-5-0 which came with pineapples and bacon. The regular burgers are huge and cost $6.49 each, we split an order of fried pickles ($3.99 for five spears) and we both got a fountain drink. The bill was a hair over $22 and we were stuffed.

I didn't realize there were multiple locations, let alone six. They took over a spot in Cheviot on the West Side (home to a number of failed restaurants) not too far from my new office, but I still haven't stopped by. Perhaps I will rectify that at lunch tomorrow. The Rockefeller (Blue Cheese Crumbles, Cranberry Chutney, Beer Battered Onion Strings, Cilantro Mayo, Lettuce) and Big Tex (American Cheese, Deep Fried Bacon, BBQ, Beer Battered Onion Strings, Lettuce, Tomatoe) look right up my alley...but hold the tomato(e).
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/07 09:48:02 (permalink)
dlawson
Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/08 12:15:41 (permalink)
I made it to Mad Mike's for lunch today, and it was pretty good overall. The Cheviot location must have a more limited menu than the Florence location, since there are no fried pickles (or any other appetizers) available. The soda fountain was also down due to a burst pipe, so they are stocking canned drinks until it is repaired. I was the only person in the restaurant during the entire time I was there (roughly 11:30A-12:00P on a Wednesday).

Aside from the gourmet burgers and chicken options, the menu borrows heavily from Five Guys, perhaps to a fault. The "smaller" burger options are identical (burger, cheeseburger, bacon burger, bacon cheeseburger), as are all of the free toppings (plus deli mustard, a welcome addition). Hot dog options are the same as well. The fries (regular only, no Cajun) are also remarkably similiar to Five Guys, and I think they are even more generous with them than Five Guys is. Needless to say, I didn't come close to finishing a regular order on my own.

I went with the Rockefeller I listed above, and (at this location, at least) they have switched the chutney from cranberry to mango, which was fine by me. They used it sparingly, and it added just the right amount of sweetness. As Bonk says, the burgers are huge (two patties), and are well worth the "higher" cost ($5.49-$6.49, except for the $7.99 Goliath). The Cheviot location has a $2.69 combo special that includes a regular fries and a drink.

I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised, although I don't think they are that much better than Five Guys if you are just looking for a "regular" burger...certainly not worth going out of your way for. Based on the lack of customers during relatively better weather, I am also not hopeful for their longevity at the Cheviot location (which, as I noted above, has been a black hole for as long as I can remember), although I must admit that I don't know how busy they get at dinner.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/08 15:31:13 (permalink)
RIP Vitos (the italian joint with the singing waitstaff in Ft Thomas)

http://cincinnati.com/blo...1/08/vitos-cafe-closed
dlawson
Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/09 11:22:08 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
 I just saw a tweet from Cincinnati Bites that indicates Cumin in Hyde Park has closed

The Cumin owner is opening Ash American Fare in the same spot, apparently by the end of this month. The wine selections and some Cumin dishes will carry over. 

http://cincinnati.com/blo...n-fare-in-cumin-space/

Claddagh in Deerfield Township has also closed after 10 years, apparently due to the terms of the new lease. They are "actively seeking a location for another store Greater Cincinnati and [are] particularly eyeing Downtown Cincinnati."

http://cincinnati.com/blo...d-twp-eyeing-downtown/
soozycue520
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/10 21:28:25 (permalink)
A friend and I stopped in Bistro Grace last week, right when they opened at 5pm. We had cocktails and appetizers. The craft cocktails were fabulous and the staff members were great. We had the marinated olives, stuffed shrimp, and macaroni & cheese. All were YUMMO!!! We enjoyed the experience very much.

For those of you who remember Mullane's Parkside Café downtown, some of the old recipes are living in Northside now, at Ruth's Parkside Café.
http://www.ruthscafe.com/
soozycue520
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/10 21:29:38 (permalink)
A friend and I stopped in Bistro Grace last week, right when they opened at 5pm. We had cocktails and appetizers. The craft cocktails were fabulous and the staff members were great. We had the marinated olives, stuffed shrimp, and macaroni & cheese. All were YUMMO!!! We enjoyed the experience very much.

For those of you who remember Mullane's Parkside Café downtown, some of the old recipes are living in Northside now, at Ruth's Parkside Café. I have not eaten there yet.
soozycue520
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/10 21:30:24 (permalink)

For those of you who remember Mullane's Parkside Café downtown, some of the old recipes are living in Northside now, at Ruth's Parkside Café. I have not eaten there yet.
soozycue520
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/10 21:30:58 (permalink)

Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/13 18:14:02 (permalink)
You went four times? Wow, you must've been stuffed after that.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/14 15:03:50 (permalink)
any of you west-siders know anything about this unheralded new place?

http://www.urbanspoon.com...k/Woots-BBQ-Cincinnati

Page: << < ..106107108109110.. > >> Showing page 106 of 111
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1