AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..106107108109110 > Showing page 107 of 110
Author
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 530
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/14 18:32:23 (permalink)
Speaking of BBQ, that Dickey's opened on Ohio Pike at McCann. I tried a pulled pork sandwich. It wasn't bad. I'll go back and try other stuff since it's only four minutes from my house.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 247
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/16 07:18:03 (permalink)
TJ Jackson 
 any of you west-siders know anything about this unheralded new place? 
http://www.urbanspoon.com...k/Woots-BBQ-Cincinnati 

I should be able to try it soon enough, as it's about a mile from my office (and not far from the Mad Mike's I mentioned above). I will report back once I do. It's not along my normal routes to and from work, but I must drive past it at least once a week, and I have never noticed it before.

dlawson
Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/16 13:06:02 (permalink)
Okay, make that today. Woots is located in the White Oak Center (at the corner of Cheviot and Jessup) between Fitworks and LaRosa's, and is pretty easy to spot thanks to its circular logo with a pig in front of some flames. The owner(s) are from Georgia, and it appears to be a family operation. They said they have been open since the first week of December. They are very obviously geared towards carryout, but seating does exist, although it is extremely minimal (a handful of tables, maybe 12 chairs total) and extremely tight.

Lunch was a mixed bag. I went with the brisket sandwich and one side for $6.99, plus a bottled drink. (They do not have a soda fountain yet.) Everything smelled great, to be sure, but the brisket was a bit overdone, a bit tough and fatty, and tasted more like smoke than anything else (which may be a plus for some people). The mac was above average, mostly thanks to the use of real cheese, and their spicy BBQ sauce is extremely good, instantly one of my favorite "hot" BBQ sauces around here...just the right amount of heat that doesn't distract from its flavor one bit.

The menu offers pulled pork, brisket, pulled chicken, St. Louis ribs, wood-fired whole/half chicken, wings, and rib tips, along with several fish selections (cod, catfish, tilapia, shrimp po'boy), which I assume are fried. Sides include "cabbages", collard greens, mac, cole slaw, yams, baked beans, potato salad, green beans, fries, applesauce, and a side salad. Daily specials include 3 wings + 1 side for $4.99, and rib tips + 1 side for $5.99. Lunch and dinner prices are different, and dinners include 2 sides and a roll or cornbread.

I'll be back to try something else on the menu. The racks of meats he was loading into the smoker looked great; I just wasn't particularly impressed with the brisket that came out.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4561
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/16 13:17:33 (permalink)
Great report, thanks dl

The photo of the menu on urbanspoon indicates they also do smoked turkey - have they removed that from the menu?

dlawson
Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/16 13:30:42 (permalink)
She updated the menu (by hand) for me before I walked out the door, and the answer is...partially. The smoked turkey club and smoked turkey salad are still on there, and the pulled turkey "meat only" was also left on there, at $11.99 per pound or $7.50 per half pound. She crossed out the gyro and pulled turkey sandwiches, and changed the pulled turkey dinner to a pulled chicken dinner (still at $9.00).
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/16 16:08:26 (permalink)
so basically they are still tinkering with their menu :-)

odd that pulled turkey meat is available, yet is only available in only some of the available forms

me, if I have ingredient x and y available, and I make x available as a sandwich, platter, or in bulk, then ingredient y is gonna be available those same ways.  More options = more price points = more ways to satisfy the customer =  improved sales

dlawson
Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/16 16:43:01 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
 so basically they are still tinkering with their menu :-)

No doubt. I mentioned that my wife has been looking for a good po'boy (and, more specifically, good po'boy bread) ever since she moved here, and they said that the po'boy is not selling well for them. Since it's the only shrimp item on the menu, I wouldn't be surprised if it disappeared as well.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/19 06:20:18 (permalink)
Went to Oxford in the snowstorm for the second straight day (to watch Miami lose, 5-1, thanks a lot) and decided to take a detour to Hamilton because they have a Mad Mike's on the north si-ede of town.

Unlike the Florence location, this one did not serve alcohol and was set up more like a fast food joint. The one on Mount Zion has taps and a small bar area. Weird.

And at this location even the dine-in orders were given in "to go" bags wrapped in foil, whereas the Kentucky location serves burgers in baskets.

As strange as the derivation is, the burger was still outstanding. My wife loved hers as well.

We also got the cheesy bacon ranch fries as a side for $3.69. It was huge and had tons of cheese. And bacon. And ranch. I sense a theme here.

We came away very full, very happy and both thinking this place blows Smashburger and Five Guys away and is one of the top burger joints in the tri-state.
post edited by Bonk - 2014/01/19 06:21:32
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/19 13:48:57 (permalink)
I keep meaning to give Mad Mikes another chance, but the single meal I have had there wasn't even what i could call good.  Deserves a second chance based on reports like this.  I will probably end up at the location near (but thankfully not in) Eminent Domain on the Levee

The best po boy I have had locally (although I've not had many) was at New Orleans to Go.  Has she had one from them?  I'll add that SWampwater Grille has po boys on the menu, and my wife (who also hasn't had many po boys) said hers was pretty good.

luebster
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/20 13:43:23 (permalink)
You should definitely give Mad Mike's another try. I ate at the White Oak (Cheviot Rd.) location and found it as good as, if not better than, Five Guys, for what that's worth.

Thanks to Bonk, I'm now aware there is a location in my neck of the woods, so I'll have to see for myself how the locations may differ.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/20 14:28:56 (permalink)
Luebster...welcome back!

long time no hear from! :-)
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3140
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/20 15:23:04 (permalink)
I will be the first to second the po' boys from New Orleans To Go - they operate a food truck around town and have a restaurant in Blue Ash on Reed Hartman Highway.

http://entertainingviewsf...new-orleans-to-go.html
donw9876
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 294
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/20 19:36:13 (permalink)
Question to denizens of this list:

Where can one go in northern Cincinnati or its burbs - let's say everything from Montgomery west to Tri-County - to get Chinese food that has "wok hei"? I'll go as far south as Ronald Reagan.

AKA: "Breath of the wok." The smoky, slightly burnt, delicious taste of authentically created Chinese cuisine. Not to be found in Sysco-peddling buffet lines.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/20 22:41:24 (permalink)
We have been to New Orleans to Go for po'boys several times, yes (even way back when they were in the Tri-County area). I agree that they are the best locally, but I seem to recall LaToya bemoaning the state of po'boy bread up here as well. 

On another "closings" note, I had not realized that Behle Street Cafe (in Covington), Mayberry (in Over-The-Rhine), and Bayou Fish House (in Newport) are all gone now.
luebster
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/21 08:53:39 (permalink)
Thanks, TJ! Wow...has it been over a year since I last posted? At the end of 2012, I began working from home, so I don't venture out much for lunch any more. I really miss the downtown lunch options.

In an effort to keep this on topic (and not about me), I have been to several of the Chinese restaurants in the Ross Twp/Hamilton area for lunch and I must say they are all pretty underwhelming. The two that I have tried more than once are Asian One Cafe on Millville Ave (because it's closest to my house) and China Inn on Main St (because it's somewhat close and better than Asian One Cafe LOL). In my opinion, both restaurants' offerings are heavily sauced, overly Americanized, and somewhat bland.

Is there really good Asian cuisine on the west side of Hamilton? Anywhere in Hamilton? OK, I'll take western Butler County. 
post edited by luebster - 2014/01/21 08:56:22
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/27 21:01:33 (permalink)
I took my wife to the Tap House for her birthday, and we didn't make reservations because it's never been overflowing. This is specifically where she said she wanted to go for her birthday dinner.

We got there and they were closed for a private party. That's going to make it tough to justify the half hour drive back there in the future. as my wife was not happy.

I did email the GM and he apologized and said that happens only about twice a year and they did post that on Facebook and Twitter. We visited the Web site before we went but neither social media site. Still tough not to be upset.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/28 08:41:50 (permalink)
Sports Bar for her birthday?  During hockey season?

Bonk, this is a keeper :-)
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/01/28 16:32:32 (permalink)
That's why I kept her. ;)
Time for Pie
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 55
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/02/21 15:47:00 (permalink)
Interesting discussion of Mad Mike's.  It sounds like the locations are quite different from each other.  Is it a franchised operation?  The franchisees must have a lot of freedom to do their own store design.  I visited the first one (Race & Harrison) years ago and I did like the burger.  5 Guys good?  I don't think I can say that.   
dlawson
Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/02/22 09:15:41 (permalink)
Time for Pie
 I visited the first one (Race & Harrison) years ago and I did like the burger.    

Are you thinking of Wild Mike's (which also has multiple locations)? There is no Mad Mike's at that intersection.
Time for Pie
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 55
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/02/22 23:53:58 (permalink)
dlawson

Time for Pie
I visited the first one (Race & Harrison) years ago and I did like the burger.    

Are you thinking of Wild Mike's (which also has multiple locations)? There is no Mad Mike's at that intersection.

That's very possible...it was a dozen years ago or more.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/03/04 14:24:38 (permalink)
Got back to a personal favorite of mine...Mac & Joe's in Oxford, and it was one of my best experiences ever there.

I got the Miami tradition, which is a steak hoagie, and it smells like steak. You can tell the owner is from Chicago because the pizza sauce has lots of garlic. We also got the mac and cheese bites, which have like a cheesestick breading. They're creamy on the inside and come with a buffalo sauce. All fantastic.

My wife got a huge burger. The bill was under $30 and we were stuffed and had to get boxes. If you get to Oxford you've got to go.  
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5025
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/03/04 14:37:16 (permalink)
Is Mac & Joe's a documented RBBS (Roethlisberger Bad Behavior Site)?

I'll have to keep it in mind for my summer trip to Lebanon.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/03/06 14:28:22 (permalink)
No idea...I never followed that soap opera.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/03/11 00:50:22 (permalink)
Eastside Café is closed. There's a "sorry we're closed" sign in the front window as well as a "business for sale" sign and an asking price. That's not good.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/03/12 09:18:40 (permalink)
dlawson
Something else is already "coming soon" in the Goodies spot. There is a sign for "ON FIRE" (complete with flames on the lettering) in the windows, with no indications as to what it might be. 

To follow up on this, visible progress is finally being made on the old Goodies spot. The awnings for On Fire Grill are now up, advertising chicken, gyros, Mediterranean Grill, Buffalo chicken, Philly steaks, and one other item I can't recall. My hope is that it will be along the lines of Chicago Gyros & Dogs in Clifton, but I am really not that hopeful.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/04/03 19:51:05 (permalink)
Island Boi is closed. We went out there for dinner and the place was cleaned out. Another great place killed by location, a miserable winter and a worse economy.

On a positive note, the owner was there in a van and said they were going to do the food truck thing on the east side. He said to friend them on the Facebook for details.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/04/03 23:09:26 (permalink)
Very sad about Island Boi

In other closing/opening news - it seems Rayas on Court Street did close some time back, BUT the awning/signage on what I have always known as Marrakesh Cafe (nw side of downtown) now says Raya's Lebanese, so she has probably taken over the business there

I now work in the Norwood area so you will probably be sharing more from me about stuff in that vicinity.  There is a BBQ truck and Taco truck parked on Montgomery just north of Norwood, so I expect to hit those soon

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/04/09 14:04:00 (permalink)
Made it to J&W BBQ (http://www.urbanspoon.com...-Bar-B-Que-Cincinnati) today for lunch

This is a little food trailer that seems permanently parked on Montgomery Road on the northernmost outskirts of Norwood, just a little north of Quatmans, on the right side of the road as your travel north from Norwood.  They serve a few bbq items plus some fried fish, wings, burgers, metts, etc

There seems to be a smoker in back, but I did not smell any cooking smoke when I arrived at about 1pm.  The pulled pork plate I received for 5.50 was a fairly large amount of food, but none of it was better than meh.  The pork was sauced, and the sauce is a very, very thin version without much flavor.  The pork itself had little or no smoked flavor to it at all, and had a lot of fat cut into it.  It was more like pork that fell apart and then was shredded out of a crock pot than bbq, honestly, very wet.  The green beans were basically straight out of a can with a little seasoning added, and the mac n cheese was of the creamy variety but again without much flavor.  I was able to get a sample of the hot version of the bbq sauce and it was the same thin consistency but had a better overall flavor

It was interesting to see that they had beef rib ($7 or $9 with 2 sides) prominently on the menuboard attached to the side of the trailer, since I rarely see ribs here in cincinnati other than pork ribs, so I will make a second trip for that hopefully soon
dlawson
Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/04/09 20:12:12 (permalink)
The J&W trailer was parked at the corner of Virginia and Colerain in Northside for a while, but vanished almost two years ago. I wondered what happened to them, yet I never did go, mainly because the convenience store they were parked in front of is suspect at best.
Page: << < ..106107108109110 > Showing page 107 of 110
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1