AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..106107108109110 Showing page 110 of 110 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 249
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/08/16 15:46:27 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
and now, some very, very sad news as a long-time local institution -one of the very few of its kind locally - closes

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/newintown/2014/08/15/myras-dionysus-to-close-aug-30/14106479/

Sad, but not unexpected. The building has been listed for sale on the MLS for some time now.

Also, today and tomorrow are the last two days of Downtown Cincinnati Restaurant Week. We finally went to Jimmy G's last night, which was a mixed bag. The beef tenderloin, naan (part of the bread basket), and desserts (I went with the yuzu/lime custard, my wife did the chocolate amaretto mousse) were excellent, but the Caesar salad and mac & cheese (which several Yelp reviewers rave about) were average at best. There was also a family of four who treated our dining area like their family dining room, but the servers and sommelier were quite attentive to the husband in particular, so I get the feeling that I "should" have known who he was. 
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/08/17 13:29:04 (permalink)
We tried Pieology for dinner last night, in Clifton on McMillan right by Lime (within about 100 feet of both Pomodori and Adriatico's). There is one pizza size (11" thin crust) and two price points, $6.00 for a cheese pizza, or $7.35 for as much as you want of everything else (a gluten-free crust is also available as an upcharge). There are three base sauce options (red, olive oil, herb butter), four cheese options, and about 25 meat and vegetable options (including some "after the bake" like roasted red peppers and pesto, which weren't obvious, as I would have added pesto if I had known). They also offer salads, which wasn't entirely obvious, either. Finally, there is no alcohol on the menu, which probably has Pomodori and Adriatico's breathing a bit easier.

The pie is built right in front of you in a Chipotle-like assembly line (they borrow heavily from Chipotle...the restaurant layout, the furnishings, even the logo and fonts) and is then thrown in a wood-fired oven for a few minutes. Our three pizzas were ready less than five minutes after we paid at the register. I went with red sauce, mozzarella, ricotta, garlic, basil, and pepperoni on mine, and was pretty pleased for the price. The ricotta didn't melt particularly well, but still tasted fine, as did the sauce and other toppings. (I would have added sausage if it didn't look like frozen pellets.) The crust is unfortunately the weak spot, although I wonder if its flavor might have been improved a bit if I had them brush it with the herb butter before adding the red sauce. Their slicing technique also needs work, as we had to grab knives and forks to separate a few slices on each of the three pies.

As far as wood-fired pizzas go, it's no A Tavola, but for the price and promptness, I think it's worth it.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 535
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/08/17 16:28:13 (permalink)
No, I'd never heard of Doughby's. It must be pretty new -- we go up during hockey season and I don't remember it being there in March. I've been saying for years that it amazes me a town packed with a huge population of college students from the Chicago and Cleveland areas doesn't have a good pizza place.

We'll have to give it a shot this fall.

Three locations: Oxford, Clifton and downtown Lexington. I see a theme here.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/08/17 16:30:37 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
G R E A T N E W S

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/local/milford/2014/08/14/roneys-may-reopen-milford/14071381/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

a snippet from the article
"Milford staff has been working to lure them to a new location in Milford and they have a tentative agreement with Cincinnati United Contractors for a building that could be built for them on Chamber Drive near the Milford Parkway in Milford." The Milford Planning Commission approved a site plan Aug. 13 submitted by Cincinnati United Contractors to build a nearly 2,900-square-foot building for Roney's.

he|| yeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Wow, that's fantastic news. It took me years to get my wife to like that place and then it disappeared.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4593
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/08/17 19:16:24 (permalink)
The Jackson clan split a Vito and Nick II's frozen sausage pizza (9.99, was not on sale) tonight

The overall assessment was - better than average for frozen, but still not impressive

The main thing I think they need to improve on is the taste of the sauce itself.  Just like Home Run Inn, it was virtually flavorless.
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1188
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/08/18 12:34:05 (permalink)
The old Eastside Café on upper Beechmont is reopening soon.

(Total Revelation Department: The new owner / proprietor is a HS / College friend of mine.)

Menu is to be sandwiches featuring daily fresh-roasted meats, burgers with daily fresh-ground beef, and Cincinnati chili among other things. Beer list is largely local -- Mt. Carmel, Moerlein, Hudepohl. Fresh turkey, too.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eastside-Cafe/106251919553301

(I am listed as Sous Chef. This is Cris's idea of a joke.)
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/08/20 21:34:38 (permalink)
jmckee
The old Eastside Café on upper Beechmont is reopening soon.

(Total Revelation Department: The new owner / proprietor is a HS / College friend of mine.)

Menu is to be sandwiches featuring daily fresh-roasted meats, burgers with daily fresh-ground beef, and Cincinnati chili among other things. Beer list is largely local -- Mt. Carmel, Moerlein, Hudepohl. Fresh turkey, too.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eastside-Cafe/106251919553301

(I am listed as Sous Chef. This is Cris's idea of a joke.)

Thanks for the update! I was wondering why the sign was still there when the rest of that strip mall was pretty much vacant.

We live three minutes away so we'll definitely support them when they re-open, but that's still a tough location. I wish him luck.
jmckee
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/08/21 10:44:27 (permalink)
I'm invited to the "invitation only" VIP kickoff Saturday evening, so I'll give a full report as soon as I know more.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/09/05 23:56:46 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
and now, some very, very sad news as a long-time local institution -one of the very few of its kind locally - closes

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/newintown/2014/08/15/myras-dionysus-to-close-aug-30/14106479/

There may be hope for Myra's after all...

https://northsideoh.nextd...ews_feed/?post=6637542
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/09/06 08:21:24 (permalink)
Looks like we're getting a Jet's Pizza next to the Jimmy Johns on Beechmont kinda sorta across from the new Arthur's

I am looking forward to Arthur's far more than to Jet's Pizza :-)
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/09/06 08:21:24 (permalink)
Looks like we're getting a Jet's Pizza next to the Jimmy Johns on Beechmont kinda sorta across from the new Arthur's

I am looking forward to Arthur's far more than to Jet's Pizza :-)
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/09/08 19:03:08 (permalink)
I decided to check out the Eastside Café today for lunch. I stopped in, the door was open, but I was told they're not opening until tomorrow.
MurphyR
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/09/08 19:33:53 (permalink)
Have you tried the Urban Grill Food Truck? AWESOME!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/09/17 10:18:31 (permalink)
Checked out Doughby's last night

Pretty good and very large calzone, but not a destination type place

All of their calzones seem to be 7.35, but they seem to have one each day that is the special of the day priced at 5.50, and thats a really good deal.

I did not try any of their crepes
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2014/09/17 18:26:18
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/09/17 17:28:12 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
Checked out Doughby's last night

Pretty good and very large calzone, but not a destination type place

All of their calzones seem to be 7.35, but they seems to have one that is the special of the day that is 5.50, and thats a really good deal.

I did not try any of their crepes

Oxford or Clifton?

After talking to a few folks who went to/go to Miami, I guess the Doughby's in Oxford has been there for a couple of years.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/09/17 18:24:53 (permalink)
Clifton
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/09/17 21:19:27 (permalink)
Bonk/Jack/NYPN:

I think we need a report on this far-eastside joint that apparently has been in business for a year or so but I hadn't heard of it til tonight

http://www.yelp.com/biz/vinny-rays-bbq-bethel

Who's up to the challenge?
jmckee
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/09/18 09:28:08 (permalink)
Hmm...the pics look appropriately quirky and declasse. Old feed mill location. I'll have to check it out -- I'm pretty booked over the next few weeks, but I'll try to find the time.

Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/10/08 15:32:59 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
Bonk/Jack/NYPN:

I think we need a report on this far-eastside joint that apparently has been in business for a year or so but I hadn't heard of it til tonight

http://www.yelp.com/biz/vinny-rays-bbq-bethel

Who's up to the challenge?

Interesting...October is my busiest month of the year, but I'll see if I can get out there in a few weeks.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/10/08 15:45:05 (permalink)
We did an Arthur's trip a couple of weeks ago and it was awesome. You've got to love a place that offers rare as an option for burger doneness.

We tried the fried cheese, although I was a little hesitant when I saw they were beer battered because some places overdo it on the batter. But these had a flaky breading and were some of the best cheesesticks I've ever had.

We also tried the buffalo chicken bites, which are deep fried wontons with buffalo chicken inside. These ranking almost as high as the cheesesticks.

And of course the burgers were excellent. That was the only thing I'd ever tried at the Hyde Park location, so I knew those wouldn't disappoint.

With two appetizers, one cocktail for Mrs. Bonk, an iced tea for myself and two burgers, our bill was $47, which is not bad, and we had leftovers.

The staff was very attentive, although I think I asked for bacon on my burger and didn't get it (I had mushrooms and Swiss, so it was still fine like that).

The only thing I would say is get there early. We arrived at 3:55 on a Saturday (they open at 4 right now) and by the time we left there wasn't any more seating left. The dining area isn't that big, so I'm sure the waits at 5:30 on a Saturday after pretty painful.

Overall I'm giddy that we have a good non-chain restaurant in our area.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/10/08 15:52:41 (permalink)
I also tried Eastside Café Version 2.0 about 10 days ago. I went once and even though I thought they were opening around Labor Day, I got there and they said they weren't opening until the next day (this was somewhere around the 12th or 13th of September). Then I went back a few days later at about 4:45 and the sign on the door said they were open until 4 for the time being.

So the third time was a charm. I went for a light lunch and ordered a couple of conies. The cook was gabbing with other people and it took 10 minutes to get conies, which is kind of mind-boggling. I asked if they had a paper menu to take with and they said they were out.

Seriously, if you're a new business, how do you run out of menus? If I was running a new food business I'd send every customer away with one. And if you run out, go to your computer and print more.

But anyway, the conies weren't bad; I think the last place in that spot had a little better chili.

It definitely seems like they're having some growing pains based on just my brief experiences. Unfortunately that's a really tough location, so I really hope they get it together and can make it work there.

I'll definitely give it another shot, especially because some of the menu items are intriguing.
jmckee
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2014/10/09 10:30:02 (permalink)
There have definitely been some growing pains. But the owner is doing well in putting out fires and getting the right staff in place. Some of the original staff may not have been the best fit. Thanks for checking it out.
Page: << < ..106107108109110 Showing page 110 of 110 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1