AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..111112 Showing page 112 of 112
Author
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1216
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/02/12 12:42:36 (permalink)
Sounds like Dickey's is a lot like I've found City to be.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4659
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/02/12 13:51:47 (permalink)
I think you and me need to drive to KC for a couple of days, Jack
jmckee
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/02/13 09:58:56 (permalink)
KC is on my list -- Bryant, Gates, Winstead's. Also a side trip to Independence to visit the Truman sites.
jmckee
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/03/03 11:19:17 (permalink)
Krueger's Tavern, next to Bakersfield in OTR, is the real deal.
The third joint on Vine Street owned by Thunderdome (Bakersfield, The Eagle, Currito's), it's all about canned craft beer and an excellent menu (Kruger's Beer was the first in the US to come in a can).
I've been three times now, including a visit with my wife and another couple Saturday. The house-made sausage dishes are excellent -- Lincolnshire (an English banger with mashed potatoes, wilted kale, and Guinness-braised onions), Italian, Merguez. The eggplant parm sandwich is a delight. And the burger! Two patties of a grind from Pat LaFrieda (NYC's top meat purveyor to restaurants), lettuce, cheese, "special sauce". Best burger I've ever had -- including Terry's Turf Club. Thin, crisp fries with a garlic mayo. Hot beer cheese as an app. Like their other places, there's one good, cheap draft -- a schooner/stein of Coor's for two bucks.
Highly recommended.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/03/03 16:46:21 (permalink)
a moment of silence for the closures of two chains - Kolache Factory and Smokey Bones - on Beechmont

there now, we all feel better, right?
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 257
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/03/04 07:50:52 (permalink)
jmckee
Like their other places, there's one good, cheap draft -- a schooner/stein of Coor's for two bucks.

I was with you up to this point. 

I have only been to Krueger's once so far, but I definitely need to go back to sample the other menu offerings. I wholeheartedly agree with you on the beer cheese and the fries, but have not tried the sausages or burgers yet since I first decided to see if their Cuban sandwich is the real deal. (It isn't, although it is still pretty good despite the pulled pork being rather dull.) I also took a good, long look at their beer menu, but did not have one that particular evening since it was our dinner stop before Jungle Jim's Barrel Aged Beer Bash, so I needed all the sobriety I could get.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 571
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/03/05 02:25:22 (permalink)
Went back to Arthur's and had another awesome burger. Their fried cheese, their signature appetizer, is unbelievable albeit slightly greasy, and their buffalo chicken bites are a close second. My wife likes the bites better than the cheese, but what does she know? ;)

I guess Smokey Bones on Ohio 125 was bought by that Honda dealership next door, so it didn't technically go under.

Nearby Mt. Carmel Brewing, which is a destination stop if you love beer (and is doing trivia on Wednesdays, btw), doesn't have food at present but is claiming to have occasional food trucks. I need to look into this more.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/03/17 01:25:35 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
I've only been to Dewey's once, several years ago when they had only one location (in Oakley) Had a basic pizza, and it was just OK.

Because they now have a location on Newport on the Levy, it's unlikely I will be back.

Sorry.

Cincinnati does indeed have some good pizza, but it does take some looking to find - one might think we have nothing but LaRosa's and the national chains if one doesn't look closely, and this is precisely the assertion they make in the article - quote: <i>"Justice and DeWitt cite a number of similarities between St. Louis and Cincinnati -- particularly the fact that both cities' pizza scenes mostly suck. Both are dominated by the national chains and one local player of arguable quality: Larossa's in Cincy and..."</i>

Dominated? Yes. Totally. But there are plenty of single location pizzerias (and one notable small chain - Mio's) here that make a good pie.

Just had Chester's in south Hamilton over the weekend, and it most certainly does not suck.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/03/17 01:30:22 (permalink)
The Eastside Cafe is closed for good, it appears. There's just a paper sign on the door that says "we're closed" and it looks like stuff is being removed on the inside. There's nothing else on any of the windows.

Can't say I'm surprised. I really wanted to give it a chance but it was open one out of six times I stopped by. Being open 12-4 and closing on Sundays and Mondays isn't really a good business model, especially if you're not near where large numbers of people work.

Sorry JMcKee...
post edited by Bonk - 2015/03/17 01:35:07
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/03/17 12:17:41 (permalink)
Still looking for a good burger in Cincinnati after a bad experience at Sammy's in Blue Ash, which I wrote up on Urbanspoon

I need to get into Arthurs Anderson, but it is so crowded every time I drive by
jmckee
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/03/17 13:15:42 (permalink)
Bonk
The Eastside Cafe is closed for good, it appears. There's just a paper sign on the door that says "we're closed" and it looks like stuff is being removed on the inside. There's nothing else on any of the windows.

Can't say I'm surprised. I really wanted to give it a chance but it was open one out of six times I stopped by. Being open 12-4 and closing on Sundays and Mondays isn't really a good business model, especially if you're not near where large numbers of people work.

Sorry JMcKee...

The owner had a lot of staff issues and other issues. I just think it wasn't a good location. He was contemplating opening under a different name with a different menu, but I think he saw the challenges outweighed the opportunities.

Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/03/17 17:02:30 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
Still looking for a good burger in Cincinnati after a bad experience at Sammy's in Blue Ash, which I wrote up on Urbanspoon

I need to get into Arthurs Anderson, but it is so crowded every time I drive by

They're open for lunch now, and if you get there before five, even on a Saturday, your wait should be pretty minimal.

We went with six of us around 4:30 on and got seated right away.

Even if you do have to wait, it's worth it. And Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays they have burger madness, which is $8.99 for almost unlimited toppings.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 257
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/03/18 00:10:47 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

Have you tried the one at Krueger's yet?

I went to Terry's last week for the first time in months, and while everything tasted as good as it always has, the burger seemed considerably smaller (while still being considerably larger than most).
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/03/27 15:56:59 (permalink)
Ghaz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 93
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/04/03 18:22:24 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3169
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/04/03 23:47:49 (permalink)
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/04/10 17:18:23 (permalink)
We never did wish this thread a happy 10th birthday in February.

The bakery in the strip mall next to the Golden Corral on Glen Este-Withamsville (the name escapes me right now) has closed. Bad location. That's a shame -- they had decent food and sweets.

Passed Great Scott's location and the marquee does indeed say 'Coming Soon: Iron Skillet' or something to that effect.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3169
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/04/10 18:10:04 (permalink)
Bonk
We never did wish this thread a happy 10th birthday in February.

The bakery in the strip mall next to the Golden Corral on Glen Este-Withamsville (the name escapes me right now) has closed. Bad location. That's a shame -- they had decent food and sweets.

Passed Great Scott's location and the marquee does indeed say 'Coming Soon: Iron Skillet' or something to that effect.

The BBQ place before the bakery was also very good - the location is jinxed.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/04/13 16:49:32 (permalink)
Made it to two burger spots recently mentioned for a basic cheeseburger

Arthur's/Anderson
asked for MR, got MW.  Was very juicy nonetheless.  Bun was not up to the task of holding the 8 ounce patty, tho.  A good but not great burger, imho.  Kinda ticked that the waitress said I could sub chili for fries, which I did, but failed to tell me about the upcharge for said substitution

Kruegers Tavern/OTR
I don't do "special sauce" (or any mayo or mayo-like condiments) and of course asked for that to be left off, so maybe this is the difference, but again I liked the burger but didn't love it.  The bun was well suited to the patties.  They dont cook to a specified degree of doneness due to it being two thinner patties rather than one big one (like at Arthurs).  Beef taste was there, but only barely.   Asked for grilled onions, and they were willing to give me the braised onions they put in the colcannon, and I appreciated this.   I'm a little confused that the bacon cheeseburger is the same price as the regular cheeseburger when it has more stuff (the bacon, basically).

My burger-loving compatriot here at work has directed me next to the Precinct for their bar menu 20 dollar cheeseburger

any better (and by that, I mean cheaper) suggestions?

Ghaz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 93
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/04/14 15:23:51 (permalink)
Page: << < ..111112 Showing page 112 of 112
Jump to:
© 2015 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1
-->