AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..111112113 Showing page 113 of 113
Author
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 261
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/05/11 17:41:01 (permalink)
Well...either Yelp has their hours wrong, or something else went wrong today. Either way, Zona wasn't open. I'll try again another day.
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1221
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/05/12 11:09:06 (permalink)
TJ: so they baked the biscuits all together? Even I don't do that with my square biscuits. I position / bake them the same as the round ones.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4677
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/05/12 11:12:22 (permalink)
Jack: yeah, it was pretty clear this was cut from some kind of "biscuit cake" more or less shaped like a sheet cake one would buy at a bakery for a coworker's birthday or other celebratory events

It was still good, just not as good as I think it could have been otherwise
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6646
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/05/12 20:11:43 (permalink)
TJ - You find them any which way down south, I think it is more personal experience than traditional.  The "cake" biscuit is easier to make when doing mass quantities, but then more is not always better.

Taste wise, I like the "individual" biscuit over the "cake" style, I like a little more "crust" on my biscuit, but I will et them anyhow.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6646
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/05/12 20:13:54 (permalink)
TOC has been a joke for a while, I remember even back in the early 90's when I managed at Olive Garden, we had a booth at TOC, and there aint NOTHING Cincinnati about OG.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 579
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/05/13 14:15:27 (permalink)
TOC? Taste of Canada? Tons of cheese? Tripping on coke?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/05/13 15:39:02 (permalink)
Taste of (allegedly) Cincinnati
Ghaz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 96
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/05/14 17:04:15 (permalink)
I don't have a problem with the chains taking part in the Taste of Cincinnati festival, just in the 'Best of Taste' awards unless its for 'Best Chain Restaurant'.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/05/14 18:16:36 (permalink)
Ghaz: agreed
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 261
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/05/15 14:35:00 (permalink)
Zona VIP was open yesterday, so I stopped by for a few snacks. There are also some very hearty-looking soups on the menu, and I wish I had gone that route instead. I ordered an empanada, an arepa, and a "sausage". From best to worst:

1. The arepa was a lightly fried corn meal "flatbread" filled with chorizo, cheese, and "Creole sauce", which didn't seem to be much more than a bell pepper concoction. This was the most flavorful and thoughtfully prepared of the three, and I wouldn't hesitate to order one again as a side dish or appetizer. The chorizo version was $4, others were $3.

2. The empanada was very tiny and very dry, filled only with shredded beef and served with no accompaniment for dipping. I wasn't particularly impressed with the only other empanada I have had locally (from the Empanadas Aqui food truck, which has at least four dipping sauces/salsas to choose from), but it was miles ahead of this one. It was about five bites worth of food and is not worth the $2.

3. The "sausage" was actually an all-beef hot dog. I got the $3 "Loco" which was topped with shredded chicken (bland, and added nothing), potato sticks (yes, the fried ones that come in a can), and "sauces", which turned out to be an excess of ketchup, mayo, and Thousand Island (strikes one, two, and three). This thing was a mess in every possible way.

I'm willing to give them another shot because I'm curious about the soups and want to see if the entrees fare better than the snacks. At least I know what not to order the second time around.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/05/16 14:57:54 (permalink)
A few items
  • a few months back, Sarku Japan in the Eastgate mall closed up, leaving only the Florence Mall location here in Cincinnati.  Just recently, though, the Eastgate location has reopened as "Kihi Japan" with a virtually identical menu, prices, and setup. I cant find them online so I suspect this is a single proprietor "copycat" type operation.  Tried it today and it was near as I can tell identical (except the carrots are grated rather than sliced, which I found more to my liking) to Sarku, which is great news
  • Taco Casa is opening a new location next to the Arby's in Norwood.  I don't know the opening date
  • Marcella's Doughnuts, with an original location in Amelia, opened a second location late last year on Clough near Mt Carmel Tabasco Road in the same strip mall where Papa John's is.  Why I haven't spotted it til now is a mystery to me, as I drive by there all the time.  I got the wife a yeast dougnut topped with chocolate, caramel, and toasted coconut because she loves girl scout's cookies samoas, which have those same toppings, and she pronounced it the best doughnut she has ever had.  I'm not too big on doughnuts myself but I think we have a winner :-)
  • I have been out to Zona Vip and the impression I was left with is very similar to dlawson's. I found the empanada and arepa I tried to be very very bland.  I really liked the basic arepa (3.00) itself - it was clearly handmade and grilled/griddled to order, and had a nice fresh corn taste and a pleasing texture, but the filling desperately cried out for seasoning.  Even just a little salt and pepper would have helped a lot.  The empanadas are so small that even at 2.00 I think they are overpriced.  Nonetheless I will make at least one more stop there to try one of their entrees and/or a burger as this is exactly the kind of place I want to see succeed  
  • I drove by the new Roney's building, which is fairly near the Quaker Steak and Lube in Milford, and they have the wooden framework up, but not a lot more.  I will be surprised if they are open by mid-summer.  I think Fall is a better bet.  I hope I am wrong, as I am craving those roast beef sandwiches mightily
Ghaz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 96
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/05/22 12:03:50 (permalink)
Wow!  Frisch's has been sold to NRD Partners, an Atlanta-based equity fund which also owns Moe's Southwest Grill and Popeye's Louisiana Kitchen.

http://www.local12.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/Cincinnati-based-Frisch-39-s-Big-Boy-sold-134945.shtml
post edited by Ghaz - 2015/05/22 12:06:34
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/05/22 14:57:57 (permalink)
I think that will suck for Frisch's, might mean their death
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/05/22 21:19:47 (permalink)
Put up reviews for the following in Urbanspoon\Zomato recently
Smoq
Cuban Petes
Krueger's Tavern
Brezel
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/05/25 14:21:12 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
A few items
  • a few months back, Sarku Japan in the Eastgate mall closed up, leaving only the Florence Mall location here in Cincinnati.  Just recently, though, the Eastgate location has reopened as "Kihi Japan" with a virtually identical menu, prices, and setup. I cant find them online so I suspect this is a single proprietor "copycat" type operation.  Tried it today and it was near as I can tell identical (except the carrots are grated rather than sliced, which I found more to my liking) to Sarku, which is great news
  • Taco Casa is opening a new location next to the Arby's in Norwood.  I don't know the opening date
  • Marcella's Doughnuts, with an original location in Amelia, opened a second location late last year on Clough near Mt Carmel Tabasco Road in the same strip mall where Papa John's is.  Why I haven't spotted it til now is a mystery to me, as I drive by there all the time.  I got the wife a yeast dougnut topped with chocolate, caramel, and toasted coconut because she loves girl scout's cookies samoas, which have those same toppings, and she pronounced it the best doughnut she has ever had.  I'm not too big on doughnuts myself but I think we have a winner :-)
  • I have been out to Zona Vip and the impression I was left with is very similar to dlawson's. I found the empanada and arepa I tried to be very very bland.  I really liked the basic arepa (3.00) itself - it was clearly handmade and grilled/griddled to order, and had a nice fresh corn taste and a pleasing texture, but the filling desperately cried out for seasoning.  Even just a little salt and pepper would have helped a lot.  The empanadas are so small that even at 2.00 I think they are overpriced.  Nonetheless I will make at least one more stop there to try one of their entrees and/or a burger as this is exactly the kind of place I want to see succeed  
  • I drove by the new Roney's building, which is fairly near the Quaker Steak and Lube in Milford, and they have the wooden framework up, but not a lot more.  I will be surprised if they are open by mid-summer.  I think Fall is a better bet.  I hope I am wrong, as I am craving those roast beef sandwiches mightily

That second Marcella's is about a mile from our house, and we've tried it a couple of times. Everything we've had there has been outstanding.

I didn't know that was a second location. It's going to be tough to make it work in that spot but I wish them the best.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2015/05/25 17:12:10 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
Put up reviews for the following in Urbanspoon\Zomato recently
Smoq
Cuban Petes
Krueger's Tavern
Brezel

I don't see them. What's your handle there?
Page: << < ..111112113 Showing page 113 of 113
Jump to:
© 2015 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1
-->