The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 12 of 108, messages 331 to 360 of 3222
TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4486
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 09/12/06 8:24 AM (permalink)
I do think prices will drop after a bit, but probably not more than 25% or so

sudie

• Total Posts: 228
    RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 09/12/06 9:27 AM (permalink)
    Every purchase I've made from Bounty Seafood and now Keegan's has been outstanding. I don't notice much pricing difference beweeen the two, and I live within walking distance. My son's in-laws are Louisiana shrimpers, and the LA shrimp I've gotten from Keegan's is every bit as good as what I've had in LA. It's pricey, but very worth it. They are so friendly and customer oriented that I'm sure any less than satisfactory purchase would be remedied. Did you take the shrimp back?

TJ Jackson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 09/12/06 10:59 AM (permalink)
      another mt washington/anderson resident :-)

hi sudie!

Robin Hood

• Total Posts: 101
        RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 09/12/06 3:41 PM (permalink)
        I need a restaurant for a Friday night where we can take our two kids and not worry about making them act like small adults, but where we can also get a decent bottle of wine and some good grub.

Is this asking for the impossible?

TJ Jackson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 09/12/06 4:27 PM (permalink)
          I'm no wine drinker, so I can't speak to this, sorry - the only place that serves alcohol and there has been stuff (crayons, kiddie dinner selections incl small desert) for my 3 and 5 year old daughters was (is) a chain - Macaroni Grill.

jjjrfoodie

• Total Posts: 422
            RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 09/12/06 4:50 PM (permalink)
            Robin Hood, do you have a particular style of food you are looking for, or better yet, is there a style/cuisine you will not eat and hence i know not to recommend?

Many a kid friendly place locally, but then again I have an 8 year old who likes eel sushi and authentic spinach enchiladas , so YMMV.

We'll find you a place for the evening. Worry not.

Robin Hood

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 09/13/06 4:13 PM (permalink)
              No particular style of food, we like everything as long as it is well-made and preferably locally owned. As for the wine list, we are not wine snobs, just looking for a place that will handle kids and let us order a bottle at the same time . . .

Thanks

jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
                RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 09/13/06 5:44 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by sudie

Every purchase I've made from Bounty Seafood and now Keegan's has been outstanding. I don't notice much pricing difference beweeen the two, and I live within walking distance. My son's in-laws are Louisiana shrimpers, and the LA shrimp I've gotten from Keegan's is every bit as good as what I've had in LA. It's pricey, but very worth it. They are so friendly and customer oriented that I'm sure any less than satisfactory purchase would be remedied. Did you take the shrimp back?

No. But I do have a call in to Tom Keegan.....we've played phone tag.....

I just cooked it to finish it.

Robin Hood

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 09/14/06 8:07 AM (permalink)
                  BURGERS?

Since moving to Cincinnati, everyone has told me about Zip's, and I have enjoyed the burger there on several occassions, but where else should I go for a great burger?

TJ Jackson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 09/14/06 9:06 AM (permalink)
                    I don't like Zips at all...I prefer the full sized thick pub burgers that are cooked to order

If you like that type of burger as well.....
                    Arthur's in Hyde Park
                    Mansion Hill Tavern in Newport
                    Quatman's in Norwood
                    Zola's in Covington

Here's a pic of a Mansion Hill Burger

jjjrfoodie

• Total Posts: 422
                      RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 09/14/06 9:15 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Robin Hood

BURGERS?

Since moving to Cincinnati, everyone has told me about Zip's, and I have enjoyed the burger there on several occassions, but where else should I go for a great burger?

TJ is spot on with his list although I do personally like Zips for the atmosphere. Bugers are not gormet but acceptable by my standards.
                      TJ also posted this link to the Cincinnati Burger Guys a while back.
                      http://www.cvgburgerguys.blogspot.com/

Hope this helps.

TJ Jackson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 09/14/06 11:15 AM (permalink)
                        It's posted in more than one place, but there have been some closings of note of late:

Bella's (at the Aronoff downtown)
                        Michael G's (in Anderson)
                        Jack Quinn's (Covington)

Here's a related link: http://www.chowhound.com/topics/show/325849

Robin Hood

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 09/14/06 1:09 PM (permalink)
                          Thanks. I was aware that there were old posts about it, but I was concerned about how accurate they were. For example, Jack Quinn's has been closed for some time now.

TJ Jackson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 09/14/06 1:21 PM (permalink)
                            Cool.

I had not heard about Jack Quinn's, or at least don't recall hearing about it, so I assumed it was recent.

Bella was more or less this week - yesterday, I believe

Not sure about Michael G's, even though it is more or less in my neighborhood. I am sure one of the other anderson/mt washington residents (there are many of us on this forum) will have better info on the aproximate timeframe

soozycue520

• Total Posts: 1026
                              RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 09/14/06 3:29 PM (permalink)
                              When Jack Quinn's closed, they said they were closing for remodeling, and would reopen.

Unfortunately, a lot of places say they are "closing for remodeling" and never reopen.

My friend, who works at a downtown bar on the weekends, knew about Bella last week. Apparently it has been rumored for a while, as the rest of the Queen City Group's restaurants {Watson Bros., Jump} had already bit the dust.

Don't know much about Michael G's.

It's sad that all these restaurants are closing.

Robin Hood

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 09/14/06 3:45 PM (permalink)
                                The guys who did Jack Quinns sank a lot of money in that place. They relied on Covington's promise and plans to develop that area. Those plans never developed. Too bad. It's a gorgeous building.

Wallyum

• Total Posts: 627
                                  RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 09/14/06 9:59 PM (permalink)
                                  Anyone tried Hoggy's yet? We gave the Crestview location a shot tonight for dinner and after having City BarBQ on Sunday I can say with authority that there is NO comparison. Hoggy's ain't even close. I had pulled pork and it was extremely bland, with an odd texture, almost as if it had been dusted with cornstarch. Nothing there that might make me try it again. As disappointed as I was with Shane's a few months back, I'd pick it over Hoggy's if I had to have Que in that neighborhood.

soozycue520

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 09/15/06 2:11 PM (permalink)
                                    From July 29, 2006 Cincinnati Enquirer:

LATE TAX PAYMENT TURNS OFF TAP AT BELLA

The Bella restaurant at Sixth and Walnut streets downtown was closed Thursday and was not serving alcohol Friday afternoon after the Ohio Liquor Control Commission suspended its liquor license effective July 24 for delinquent tax payments.

General manager Ryan Cracchiolo acknowledged a violation earlier in the week, but said the restaurant would have it resolved Friday.

Bella and Teller's in Hyde Park Square are owned by Queen City Restaurant Group, which has had delinquent tax payments at several of its locations, including the former Watson Bros. Bistro & Brewery in Blue Ash and Donna's Diner in Covington.

soozycue520

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 09/15/06 2:17 PM (permalink)
                                      Will Bella reopen?

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060914/BIZ01/309140029/-1/back01

Personally, I do not believe it will happen. All the QCRG's restaurants have closed, except Teller's.

sudie

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 09/15/06 2:21 PM (permalink)
                                        It's been closed a couple of weeks. Last visit to Super Kroger, we walked by and saw a sign on the door that said "closed for renovation" usually restaurant-ese for "We're outta here." The couple of times we went, we had to walk up to be sure they were open; their facade always looked as though they were closed. I saw in the community paper yesterday that they're closed for goo.

sudie

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 09/15/06 2:48 PM (permalink)
                                          My post was refering to Michael G's, and I do believe they're closed for good, not closed for goo, but who knows?

Wallyum

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 09/15/06 3:40 PM (permalink)
                                            That Beechmont Mall area has claimed an amazing number of restaurants over the years. Must have something to do with the freeway access? I didn't see Michael G's making a go of it there. No one thinks of eating by Krogers unless they think strip mall food. CiCi's should thrive.

TJ Jackson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 09/15/06 3:59 PM (permalink)
                                              Wally - not to ignore you, I have never been to the remodeled Crestview Hills Mall, or whatever they are calling it now. Since everything is a chain there, combined with all the reviews I have heard thus far, I doubt I ever will.

Robin Hood

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 09/15/06 4:46 PM (permalink)
                                                It is called Crestview Hills Town Center.

Mike and Jimmy's Chophouse is pretty good. It is owned by Jim Gerhardt and Michael Kunha. They were the chefs at the Oakroom in the Seelbach Hotel in Louisville before opening Limestone Restaurant there. The Chophouse is their second restaurant.

I also believe that the Pub and the Argentine Bean are both locally owned restaurants there. Oh yeah, and the Wiener Hut or whatever it is called is locally owned. Good places for high quality wursts and wieners, including brats, mets and franks. They also make a good reuben sandwich.

jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
                                                  RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 09/15/06 5:42 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by Wallyum

That Beechmont Mall area has claimed an amazing number of restaurants over the years. Must have something to do with the freeway access? I didn't see Michael G's making a go of it there. No one thinks of eating by Krogers unless they think strip mall food. CiCi's should thrive.

The Anderson Towne Centre is one of the dumbest developments I've ever seen. It's basically Kroger with a huge food court attached.

Wallyum

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sat, 09/16/06 10:17 AM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Wally - not to ignore you, I have never been to the remodeled Crestview Hills Mall, or whatever they are calling it now. Since everything is a chain there, combined with all the reviews I have heard thus far, I doubt I ever will.

I can't say I'd recommend anything there. Even the bookstore is a dud. I was going to drive to Carrollton to try Tina's, but I didn't feel like making the drive after carting the kids around all afternoon. Wish I'd have made it now.

Wallyum

• Location: Ft. Thomas, KY
                                                      RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sat, 09/16/06 10:19 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by jmckee

quote:
                                                      Originally posted by Wallyum

The Anderson Towne Centre is one of the dumbest developments I've ever seen. It's basically Kroger with a huge food court attached.

True. We tried Moe's back at the start of the summer. I think it's mant to be in Chipotle's league, but I didn't think it was close. I'll give it another try, but that will be the end if nothing has changed. (They had crunchy rice in my burrito! How tough is it to keep your rice at least semi-fresh?)

Suburban Dad

• Total Posts: 38
                                                        • Location: Cincinnati, OH
                                                        RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sat, 09/16/06 7:46 PM (permalink)
                                                        Chipotle, Qdoba and Moe's are all fairly similar. Chipotle and Qdoba have about the same menu except Qdoba offers queso cheese and ground sirloin, while Chipotle offers carnitas. Moes is a little different in that they don't have the fluffy white lime/cilantro rice. It is more of a mexican rice/fried type of rice. Moe's I believe only offers chicken, steak and tofu.
                                                        At Moe's you have to have the mexi-ranch dressing put on your Burrito. Qdoba you have to have the cheese queso. And Chipotle, the carnitas is great.

To change the topic, anyone tried Rosati's Chicago style pizza in West Chester?? I believe they have other crust/style choices as well.

• Total Posts: 335
                                                          • Location: Dayton, OH
                                                          RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sun, 09/17/06 3:23 AM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by Suburban Dad

To change the topic, anyone tried Rosati's Chicago style pizza in West Chester?? I believe they have other crust/style choices as well.

Is it of any relation to this chain, http://www.rosatis.com? I ate at one of these in northwest Indiana five or six years ago; it was all right but I was expecting deep dish crust since it is based out of Chicagoland (Lisle to be exact).

There was talk of one coming to Springboro (south of Dayton) near me. I saw the sign up at the location in a mini-strip mall last November. I haven't been back since, so I don't know if it will open. It does not look promising considering that the only restaurants listed on Rosatis.com are in three states other than Ohio.

• Total Posts: 335
                                                            • Location: Dayton, OH
                                                            RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sun, 09/17/06 3:28 AM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by 45013
                                                            Is it of any relation to this chain, http://www.rosatis.com? I ate at one of these in northwest Indiana five or six years ago; it was all right but I was expecting deep dish crust since it is based out of Chicagoland (Lisle to be exact).

There was talk of one coming to Springboro (south of Dayton) near me. I saw the sign up at the location in a mini-strip mall last November. I haven't been back since, so I don't know if it will open. It does not look promising considering that the only restaurants listed on Rosatis.com are in three states other than Ohio.

I wrote too soon!

There is another Rosati's site at http://www.rosatispizza.net, and--sure enough--the Springboro location is listed under Ohio, as is West Chester! I should have looked harder!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 12 of 108, messages 331 to 360 of 3222

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 7 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com