AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 14 of 110
Author
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4583
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/10/09 12:38:43 (permalink)
Have you been to Bernhard's in Newport?

http://www.google.com/maps?num=50&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=bakery&near=Newport,+KY&radius=0.0&cid=39091389,-84495833,4314243142789360866&li=lmd&z=14&t=m
Robin Hood
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/10/09 13:18:02 (permalink)
Yes, I have been to Shadeau and Bernhards. Shadeau is good, but not exactly what I am looking for. When I went to Bernhards it was later in the morning, and there wasn't much left that looked good. I will try them earlier in the am to give them a fair shake.
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/10/10 00:05:42 (permalink)
Thanks Sandy and Tom for the Tall Stacks reports.

I really am kinda sorry I didn't go this time around. I heard a lot of great reports from people, but also a lot of complaints about the bathroom situation. Obviously not good planning on that front. I also heard a lot of people say there were a lot of overly intoxicated souls there, especially later in the evening.

All in all, it sounds like it was a success! {{Next time, maybe it would be nice if they put a little more thought into the food concessions, though}}
wreckless1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/10/11 02:22:32 (permalink)
Wanted to mention Ba Ba india in norwalk ...has a sister resterant which has been rated number 1 in cinci for indian ,,,,for a good reason ,, baba has a lunch buffet which was fairly cheap as i remember .... what i do remember was being happy so the price probably 7 or 8 bucks a person never entered my head ..... and I'm cheap ....
The place is a converted arby's wendys or burger king kind of joint, but definatly nicely redone to give it an appearance of a real resterant ...carpet nice booths ,tablecloths and glass...not the dump it looks like from the outside and the food is a yummy treat.....definatly a pick for us and we live 45 miles away....
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/10/11 08:27:47 (permalink)
brief and respectful correction:

Baba India is in a converted former Hardee's in Oakley.

You may have meant Norwood - which is just to the west of Oakley - where you wrote Norwalk.
Robin Hood
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/10/12 12:17:36 (permalink)
I apologize for being too lazy to re=read the entire thread to find this information, but where is the Mansion Hill Tavern in Newport?
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/10/12 12:39:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Robin Hood

I apologize for being too lazy to re=read the entire thread to find this information, but where is the Mansion Hill Tavern in Newport?

It's at 502 Washington {5th and Washington}, one block north of Pompilio's.

I'm sure TJ can probably link you to the pictures of their burger!

At night, this is a smoky blues bar. If you like that {which I do}, it is a great place to see some of the best blues artists in the area.
Robin Hood
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/10/12 13:58:43 (permalink)
perfect . . . and within walking distance of mi casa.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/10/12 15:15:51 (permalink)
re: Mansion Hill Tavern http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6632#187902

They do not serve food at night except on the weekends, as I understand it. Call to confirm.....
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/10/12 15:19:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by soozycue520

quote:

At night, this is a smoky blues bar. If you like that {which I do}, it is a great place to see some of the best blues artists in the area.

Such as whom, pray tell? This sounds interesting.

Thanks.

Sandy
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/10/12 16:43:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Thruthegarden

quote:

quote:

Such as whom, pray tell? This sounds interesting.

Thanks.

Sandy

Here is the City Beat listings for this week:
http://citybeat.com/gyrobase/music/MusicListings?searchExclude=performer&searchPhrase=Mansion%20Hill%20Tavern

I know they have an Open Jam on Sunday Nights. I really haven't been for a while. I used to go to see Blue Lou and the Accusations. The Open Jam used to be a blast, too {I'm sure it still is}.

As TJ stated, I don't think they serve food in the evenings {except Fri. & maybe Sat.}, but there are lots of places close to eat.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10282
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/10/13 10:09:18 (permalink)
I was visiting my Cincy buddy quite a few years back and he took me to a nice little breakfast spot called, I think, Sugar 'n Spice. Is it still around? How are their lunches and dinners?

Sorry if this place has been mentioned in this thread before. I honestly did look, but it is so long, I very well might have missed it.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/10/13 10:39:21 (permalink)
Sugar n Spice is still around and is excellent - probably the best kept secret in Cincinnati

They have traditionally only been open breakfast and lunch hours, closing by 1-2pm or so, but recently started offerring dinners. I always get brekfst when I go there, as they are so good, and so I cannot vouch for the quality of anything else
adancey
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/10/13 15:51:55 (permalink)
When we are roadtrippin' south from Columbus, we always make a stop at the Anchor Grill in Covington, KY, right across the river from Cincy (438 W. Pike St.) I recommend the GLT, or Goetta Lettuce & Tomato sandwich. Heavenly!
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/10/14 08:23:07 (permalink)
quote:

http://citybeat.com/gyrobase/music/MusicListings?searchExclude=performer&searchPhrase=Mansion%20Hill%20Tavern

I know they have an Open Jam on Sunday Nights. I really haven't been for a while. I used to go to see Blue Lou and the Accusations. The Open Jam used to be a blast, too {I'm sure it still is}.

As TJ stated, I don't think they serve food in the evenings {except Fri. & maybe Sat.}, but there are lots of places close to eat.

Thanks for the link. Looks interesting indeed.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/10/15 18:38:56 (permalink)
This was posted in the BBQ in Cincinnati thread, but bears reposting here

----------------
from soozycue520
Two closings to report:

First is Ray's Northside Grille. I know I was the only person to rave about this place. I went there this morning for real stone-ground grits, and was very disappointed to find it closed. The sign on the door said there were "partnership" issues, and they would try to reopen soon. Where I am going to get real grits in Cincy? They did BBQ in a smoker in back, too.

The second, and most important to Roadfooders, is Junebug's BBQ. A friend went on Monday to find it closed. I went by there today, and the place is now called "Chris's Corner". I have no idea if they serve BBQ or not. I can't say I'm surprised it's closed, but I'm very dissappointed.

Two more, I'm sorry to say, bite the dust.
----------------

Both will be missed, although I never made it over to Ray's. I am particularly sad for Junebug, and figure that the high profile events involving his brother probably impacted business, despite the fact that Junebug himself probably had little or nothing to do with it.
wreckless1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/10/17 14:46:57 (permalink)
Thanks for the correcion Tj:
Obviously you've been there ...
When we eatin cincy it's the only place we go...
there are not too many places we eat that we can recommend and we travel alot so this site has been helpful....
So again i say...
BaBa India in oakley..// near norwood ...on madison road great lunch buffet,great food overall....
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/10/18 00:59:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Thruthegarden

quote:

Thanks for the link. Looks interesting indeed.

Sandy~~

As far as I know, the Open Jam on Sunday at Mansion Hill Tavern is still all about the best blues musicians in the Cincy area.

I don't get over to NKY as often as I used to, so I can't say for sure, but "Open Jams" at "established" establishments, can assure GOOD MUSIC!!!

I cannot guarantee great roadfood, but, good music is guaranteed!

{And, good RoadFood, really isn't far away!!!}
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/10/18 08:55:23 (permalink)
True enough. Pompilio's just a block away to the south, and the Green Derby is not too far either
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/10/20 06:41:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

True enough. Pompilio's just a block away to the south, and the Green Derby is not too far either

Pompilio's is still a worthwhile trip, but the Derby has been cruising on past rep for years. (Unless there's been some recent change I don't know about.) They struggled to reach ordinary on my last trip there, and it used to be a favorite. Very much in the Greyhound Grill, Hitching Post category these days.
Robin Hood
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/10/20 11:57:16 (permalink)
Are you speaking of the Greyhound Tavern in Ft. Mitchell? I am some wickedly good fried chicken there last week. I mean really really good.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/10/21 13:30:27 (permalink)
quote:

Are you speaking of the Greyhound Tavern in Ft. Mitchell? I am some wickedly good fried chicken there last week. I mean really really good.

Yeah, it's the same place. I must have caught them on a series of bad nights. I'm not a fried chicken fan, but I've heard that they have a good reputation for that. No matter. They've long since disappeared from my list of potential dinner picks.
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/10/21 17:09:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Wallyum

quote:

Yeah, it's the same place. I must have caught them on a series of bad nights. I'm not a fried chicken fan, but I've heard that they have a good reputation for that. No matter. They've long since disappeared from my list of potential dinner picks.

Actually I think that Greyhound's fried chicken and fried cod are still very good. I haven't ordered anything else in a long time so I can't vouch for the rest of the menu.

startrooper00
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 110
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/10/21 18:57:00 (permalink)
I love Greyhound Tavern's fried chicken... So much better than I have ever tried. I so miss living up in Northern Kentucky...Now I have to travel 3 hours to get that chicken...
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/11/02 16:59:31 (permalink)
quote:

Seeking recommendations for a really good german bakery. Busken pastries are terrible. Would prefer one close to downtown or in Northern Kentucky, but I will drive anywhere for some good danish, kuchen, and strudel.

Robin,

Here is an article from this week's City Beat that might fit what you are looking for:

http://www.citybeat.com/current/lookwhos.shtml

Look Who's Eating

Armin and Melanie Hack, owners of Frieda's Bakery

By LORA ARDUSER

Armin Hack, co-owner of Frieda's Bakery
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Master pastry chef Armin Hack is an artist. His medium? Belgian chocolate and layers of fresh puff pastry. A fourth-generation pastry chef, Armin started his training in Germany at the ripe old age of 5 while playing in his father's bakery. Today, he and his wife Melanie offer made-from-scratch scones, croissants and schnecken, but they want to give us something more, something truly fine. That's why, as Melanie says, "We decided to focus on what Armin's bliss is about -- fine European pastries and chocolates."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frieda's Bakery, 6927 Miami Ave., Madeira, 513-272-0939.

soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/11/14 03:13:01 (permalink)
Just for good measure~~
Here is a reminder that McCormick's and Schmick's is opening on Friday, Nov. 17th at 4pm. I know it's nothing to cheer about, but they are supposedly having $1.95 appetizers {during happy hour, with a drink minimum}~~

SEAFOOD CHAIN OPENS NEXT WEEK

McCormick & Schmick's opens next Friday at 4 p.m., bringing a wide range of fresh seafood to downtown. The restaurant was founded in Portland, Ore., and now is in 65 locations around the country. Here, it's in the Westin Hotel at the corner of Fifth and Vine.

All the McCormick & Schmick's restaurants look different, with the layout dictated by the building they're in. This one will feature Cincinnati-themed stained glass.

Menus also vary from city to city, and from day to day. It's printed twice daily to reflect availability of fish and other seafood (at least 30 kinds daily), along with nonseafood dishes.

Typical selections are smoked salmon lox on lavosh with Swedish cucumber salad, mahi mahi cakes with peanut sauce, Jake's étouffée, swordfish tostadas, cashew-breaded tilapia and shrimp a la Diavolo. There are always several varieties of oysters.

McCormick and Schmick's is also known for its drinks and $1.95 bar appetizers.

Regular hours are 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday; 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday; 4-11 p.m. Saturday; 4-10 p.m. Sunday. Reservations taken. 21 E. Fifth St., 513-721-9339;

www.mccormickandschmicks.com.

dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 248
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/11/15 11:46:13 (permalink)
Northside resident here. I've been a lurker for quite a while, and wouldn't have known about Mac's if it wasn't for this thread. My wife and I eat out constantly, so I was aware of just about everything else. ;)

We've been going to Mac's for months, and it's been excellent every time...until this past weekend. The menu has been revamped, featuring several more specialty pizzas and, unfortunately, higher prices across the board. The Macover is still worth it at any price, but I was extremely disappointed with the Saratoga Chips this time around. The portions were decreased, the price was increased by almost $2.00, the chips were overdone, and the barbecue sauce was some Kraft Krap instead of the usual Montgomery Inn sauce. Draught beer selection has increased and improved, but overall, I'm upset that it isn't the excellent value that it once was.

I'll be sure to post my thoughts on some of the other Northside and Clifton restaurants we visit regularly, including Honey, Melt, Habanero, and Cilantro. And I promise that you will never find me singing the praises of Quatman's or the Queen City Restaurant Group. Bella was the source of a lot of good memories for us, and I'm sad to see it go.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/11/15 13:16:06 (permalink)
Sorry to hear about Mac's. Purely coincidentally, I was in that neighborhood yesterday and was glad to see they were still open. You never know with a new business.

I woner if he (Mac) ever implemented making dough on premises? He was getting it from Gimminetti's in Walnut Hills, but had bought an industrial mixer over a year ago or more.

That said, my stop last night was at Chicago Gyro, within an easy stone's throw of Mac's, because I had heard they had one of the best gyros in town. Man, what a disappoinment - greasy and mushy. Sebastian's is the best in town, hands down.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 248
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/11/15 16:17:27 (permalink)
I have yet to eat at Chicago. I tried to go once, but was in a bit of a hurry, and the length of the line, coupled with them accepting cash only, consipred against me that day. I am told that they will soon be retooling the menu and adding an Italian Beef sandwich, which has a Chicago transplant co-worker of mine quite excited.

He is already in love with the Chicago dogs at Dink's downtown, which I am also a fan of. The operating hours of 11-4 is my only complaint with Dink's, but I can't blame them, considering the current state of downtown dining. Limited hours are better than none. At least Shanghai Mama's continues to buck the trend. I used to live three blocks from them, and I am a patron for life, mine or theirs. Hopefully mine.

On a separate Asian dining note, we dined at Pacific Moon's new location at the Levee two weeks ago. I had dined at the original location years ago and don't remember it being as similar to P.F. Chang's as it is now. That's neither a compliment nor a complaint; like P.F. Chang's, I found it acceptable, nothing more. The sticky rice bag wrapped in a lotus leaf is well worth the $3.00 upcharge, however.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2006/11/15 16:25:12 (permalink)
Welcome to the boards, DL

Dink's was featured in the cover story this past week in The Downtowner. The owner, Ken, is super nice.

I don't like Shanghai Mamas for the prices and the guy out front who decides where you're going to sit - very pushy fellow
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 14 of 110
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1