AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 17 of 55 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/15 12:40:56
It seems like the Enquirer is onto the new Sonic openings:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20070815/LIFE/308150028/
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/15 15:11:14
quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Mr McKee is now CincyEater.....very strange.....

I did a switcheroo at the suggestion of a friend who says my "real name" is lame.

I decided reality beats cutesy.

I was wondering how "CincyEater" got so many posts.

I like cutesy {hence, my screen name }
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/15 15:38:08
quote:
Originally posted by dlawson

Yep: http://www.daytondailynews.com/search/content/oh/story/news/local/2007/08/13/ddn081307firefoloweb.html

It doesn't look to be a total loss, however. They say they are hoping to reopen "within 60 days," and the employees will work at their other locations until they reopen.

A discarded cigarette doing $550 K in damages

It is nice that they are allowing their employees the opportunity to work while they are closed.
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/16 00:16:51
I had dinner with a friend at Jean-Ro Bistro tonight. We were having cocktails with plans for dinner. The bartenders at Rockin'Robin's suggested Jean-Ro's, so, since it was in walking distance, we went.

I KNOW THIS IS NOT ROADFOOD, per se, but it is less expensive than Jean-Robert at Pigalls.

The food was excellent. The service was spotty.

I had the Steak Frites, with the sauteed asparagus with lemon compound butter. The steak was cooked to a perfect medium rare. My friend went a different direction and ordered the Gazpacho {it was FABULOUS!!}, and four sides {the asparagus; the New Potatoes with Zest, Scallions, Almonds and Olive Oil; the Medley of Mushrooms; and the Sauteed Spinach ~~the mushrooms and spinach, I must admit, were the best I've ever had!!}.

Everything we ordered was beyond excellent. Food wise. The one thing that threw off the experience was the service. The guy was on top of us for the first half of the time we were there, but when it came time for us to get a box, get a check, and pay, we were there a lot longer than we should have been.

The food is worth every single penny. Service leaves something to be desired. Good food. I will go back.

{Side note: Maybe not every server at Jean-Ro's is like the server we had. It may be an anomaly.}
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/16 00:32:49
I have not been there, but a friend at Rockin' Robin's tonight told me that she had been to the new Morton's for happy hour yesterday. Although the drinks are not cheap, they have an early happy hour, and a late one, as well ~~ 4-6pm, and 9-close.

During these "happy hours", they have $4 appetizers. They consist of a crab dip that contains lumps of crab. There is also an appetizer of mini cheeseburgers that are hand pattied. She claimed both were great!!

No first hand experience here. Just heresay.

I would venture to guess that you need to eat in during happy hour to take advantage of these prices, but it sounds like a place to try.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/19 11:41:03
Tried Mongo's in Mason yesterday. I liked it as well as BD's, if not better. Selection might have been a little wider, prices about the same, and the wait time to get your food cooked was less, but that was because we went at 8 p.m.

Bonk will definitely be back.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/19 11:53:32
BDs?
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/19 14:49:03
Dewey's Pizza in Hunter's Point, Montgomery Rd, Symmes Township. last Thurs. Didn't care for the salads at all (our group tried the house salad and one of specialties)... pizza was excellent... $15 for medium... but beware... i wanted green olives in place of black olives... wham... $2 bucks plus extra... we had the bronx bomber.. everything... and the original cheese.. both were excellent... mgr wasn't all that friendly when i complained about the $2 add-on... service was okay... servers were very young
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/19 14:50:30
P.S. on Deweys... salads: limp lettuce that stuck in my throat with hardly a hint of dressing
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/19 14:54:23
yesterday Findlay Market... Aunt Flora's peach cobbler (gave me a free sample for having to wait 15 minutes for my catfish sandwich) was superb! worth the trip. catfish sandwich was just okay.. didn't taste much like catfish and came in several small pieces which promptly dropped onto the floor...
Mr Pig ribtips take home for dinner... excellent... however, they no longer have sides (or did they ever.. seems to me they used to)... I remember the first time i went there several years ago... ordered bucket of ribtips and they threw in a whole loaf of white bread
Suburban Dad
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/19 23:17:59
BD's is a national mongolian BBQ chain. I believe the nearest one is Columbus. They are opening a local location on Mason Montgomery road about 5 miles away from Mongo's. Should be interesting to see if demand in Mason can satisfy 2 similar restaurants in such close proximity.
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/20 01:32:39
There's a BD near Dayton in a new shopping center.. The Greene... good... get a couple dollars off if you only go thru once...
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/20 17:24:38
quote:
Originally posted by Suburban Dad

BD's is a national mongolian BBQ chain. I believe the nearest one is Columbus. They are opening a local location on Mason Montgomery road about 5 miles away from Mongo's. Should be interesting to see if demand in Mason can satisfy 2 similar restaurants in such close proximity.

That's a good point. I wonder why BD's picked that spot with Mongo's so close.
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/23 00:29:59
MAN, I really need to start bringing my camera when I dine around town, or get one of those cell phones with a camera!! {Technology ~ Me? Technology challenged }

I went to Olives at the Ludlow Garage {http://www.olivesonludlow.com/ , 342 Ludlow Avenue} tonight. First off, let me mention that they do not have beer or wine yet, but they do have a liquor. Since I drink vodka, this was not a problem for me. They did say the full bar is coming soon.

The server was very helpful, and when asked, she told us the things she would not recommend {which I love}, and the things she highly recommended. {She didn't recommend the veggie ciabatta sandwich and the seafood salad, for inquiring minds.}

My friend and I were kinda into something a little lighter, since it was SOOOO HOT outside. There were so many good things on the menu that we decided to order a few things and share them.

We started with a tomato and buffalo mozzarella salad, with olive oil and a balsamic oil drizzle. Although it was kinda small, I have to say it was one of the best tomato/mozzarella salads I have ever had.

Then we had a mushroom artichoke appetizer that was wrapped in phyllo dough. It was AMAZING!!! My friend said it was the best appetizer she has ever had in her life.

For our entree, we split an orecchiette pasta with sun-dried tomatoes, asparagus, peas, mushrooms and parmesan. I have had sun-dried tomatoes that were tough, but these were rehydrated to the point of deliciousness.

I will definitely be back. The food we picked was excellent, and the menu has a lot to offer.

And they have a cute little display of miniature liquor bottles on the right before you go downstairs. I am also glad that on their menu, they call themselves "Olives at the Ludlow Garage". If you don't know the history of the Ludlow Garage, it is well worth checking out.
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/23 12:35:54
Anybody else tried the fried pork intestines at Kin Wok on McMillan in Clifton? few doors down from Mediterranean Buffet... most excellent... my friend Bob and I nearly fought over them.. served with two different sauces... plum sauce and a ginger based sauce... always good food there.. lunches from like $5-6.00... and seafood hot and sour soup... not very hot but very tasty.. add a generous dollop of hot oil and, voila!, mama mia that's a good
westsider12
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/27 08:31:41
Enquirer just reviewed the "new" Morton's - not roadfood per se, but it seems as if the move did not affect the quality of the place.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20070824/ENT01/708240313/
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/28 01:20:15
At some point while I was at work, a Tom's Pot Pies menu was slipped under the wiper blade on my car. Nicely done, with the lunch menu on one side and the dinner menu on the other.

If I was downtown for lunch, I'd probably hit the place fairly often. But the dinner menu comes with two sides and is $10 before a $2 delivery charge. Can't really justify $12 plus tip for dinner too often, but I wish him all the best -- his pot pie is indeed outstanding.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/28 09:58:22
Bonk: I am all but positive he will sell you a pie by itself for 5.50 at any time of the day. I think you need to order a dinner package to get a delivery.....edit....the dinner menu side actually says dinner delivery menu....

I picked up that same menu (on a slick glossy 4x6 square of durable paper, with a friendly eye-catching bright yellow background) when I was in there yesterday, and also noted he has added several menu items - sides, really. Seems like he raised the prices on the fruit pies as well.

Its definitely a work in progress, but he thinks that there is enough housing being developed downtown, particularly on the northern side, to provide him with sustained evening business. I hope he is right.
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/28 18:39:46
RECENT COUPONS I HAVE FOUND:

Pompilio's:
http://www.pompilios.com/images/coupon.gif

Porkopolis:
http://www.porkopolistavern.com/specials.html

Enjoy!
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/29 20:05:11
Here is a link to the Foodie Blog at Cincinnati.com. There is new information on Restaurant Week, Southview's new menu, Vinkolet's wine fest, and a Taste of CLermont County~

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/foodie/
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/30 08:51:01
Didn't know there was a Taste of Clermont. I think I'll check it out though -- thanks for the link :)

Vinkolet -- can't help but hold a grudge against them. When I first moved here, I took a job delivering pizzas. We had several orders to Vinkolet, and the tightwads never tipped.

Thus, I've never gone to their winery, nor have I encouraged others to do the same.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/31 10:30:38
Another one bites the dust.....

The Ollie's Trolley in Covington is no more. The building is already been painted over in white and is being re-done for some other (undisclosed) business.

CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/31 13:16:19
quote:
Originally posted by soozycue520

MAN, I really need to start bringing my camera when I dine around town, or get one of those cell phones with a camera!! {Technology ~ Me? Technology challenged }

yes you do!

I started with my phone taking pix, finally I got a small kodak digital, that I keep close for food pix.
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/31 13:34:59
More restaurant week info:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20070831/ENT01/708310320/
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/31 20:24:16
Another late night stuck at work, another trip to a steakhouse. This time...Morton's again, for a sampling of their new "bar" menu....to go, natch.

First of two: the filet mignon sandwiches. This is nothing more than 4 tiny slices of filet between some cheap sesame seed bun sections. You get about 3 bites out of a single sandwich. They include a mayo-mustard sauce if you want - I didn't - but there are no other toppings. Really, really unimpressive. I recall that Mortons used to offer free filet mignon sandwiches at the bar on certain nights.....I never got to try those, but I suspect these are the same deal only you pay 10 bucks for 4 of them now.

Second of two: prime beef cheesburger sliders, 10 bucks for three. You get 3-4 bites out of a single burger. These were really good, but also really salty. Excellent tender beef, very tasty, nice grilled taste, topped with a good cheddar, with red onion, lettuce, and tomato. The patties are about the diameter of a silver dollar and about 3/4 of an inch thick, and they cook to order despite the small size - my MR order came out about medium, not bad. Very good custom-sized bun as well - lightly toasted insides - they should use these for the steak sandwiches as well.

edit: these bar menu items are only 4 bucks instead of 10 if you buy them at certain times, sorta "happy-hour-ish" very early and very late evening hours.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/08/31 21:08:57
I happened to be downtown during the lunch hour today and finally gave Tom's Pot Pies a try. I didn't catch the name of the guy working behind the counter, but a mention of Roadfood didn't faze him.

I tried the Vegetable Pot Pie, which was loaded with carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower. The crust and doughy underside were excellent, and everything tasted quite good at the time, but a rather unpleasant aftertaste manifested itself on my way back to work, and I haven't been able to completely shake it yet. I don't think I'll have the vegetable one again, and I recommend it only if you don't fear the repercussions.

The crust alone has me curious about the two chicken offerings (the outdoor sign advertised the chicken, chicken alfredo, and vegetable), and I plan on going back for dinner at some point.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/02 22:56:46
Hit the new Eastgate Sonic today. I was impressed.

Very good burger (w/bacon and cheese), very good cheese sticks. Service was a tad slow, but that's to be expected with a big crowd and a new establishment. We'll be back again really soon.
ohiosteaklover
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/04 15:21:09
There is a Nathan's Famous hot dog stand opening (or perhaps now open) on UnionCenter Blvd in West Chester, a little north/west of Lakota West HS. Has anyone ever eaten at a Nathan's?
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/04 15:40:07
Yeah, even as a former Chicagoan, I have to say Nathan's are outstanding. The Florence Freedom serve them, and I have at least one every time I go to a game.

They have a slight garlic flavor to them.

I know they've put two Nathan's in movie theaters locally, but I've never tried them. One's in Forest Park, and I think the other one is in Milford.

It sounds like this one isn't part of a theater. I'll have to try that out -- that's good news that Cincinnati is introducing edible hot dogs to its citizens
Ghaz
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/08 02:45:02
Looks like Cameron Mitchell (Mitchell's Fish Market) will be opening the Rusty Bucket Corner Tavern in the old Nothing But Noodles location in Norwood. It will feature British pub fare and American bar food.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20070907/BIZ01/309070040/
janifer
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/08 07:44:58
I don't know what Nathan's is up to now but a couple years back I think they were bought by the same company that owns Arthur Treacher's fish & chips and Kenny Rogers Roasters because they set up three locations here in Tallahassee that were one-stop shops for all three. There was nothing remarkable about Nathan's food that I recall. Wish you guys better luck.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/12 14:30:10
I stopped into Jordan Valley (http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6632#164094) today and took Ned (the owner) up on his recommendation that I try one of his entree-type dishes instead of my usual gyro or shawarma.

The dish is called Mac Louba, and while I am sure I am describing it inadequately, I think the simplest description I could give it (other than "delicious", which it most certainly was) would be "middle eastern stir fry". Spiced grilled chicken, eggplant, fried potatoes, and cauliflower mixed with lots of his good yellow rice and plenty of spices, most notably tumeric. He serves it with a wet salad of finely diced onion, tomato, bell pepper, and fresh herbs dressed with vinegar and olive oil, and the concept is to get a half bite each of the "stir fry" with a half bite of the salad on your fork and let the flavors mingle in your mouth.

Just outstanding :-)
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/12 15:19:05
any recommendations for road food along I-275 between I-74 & I-75? besides Lulu's Noodles; New Orleans to Go, Taqueria? looking for a new adventure tomorrow.. thanks
frankJavascript:insertsmilie('')
tpd
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/12 16:33:01
There's Pit-To-Plate for BBQ just off Hamilton Ave on Compton. Another good place is Mateo's Char-Grill on Rt. 4 just before Taqueria Mercado on the other side of the road. The have Upstate NY style hot dogs, garbage plates and hand formed burgers. Across the parking lot from Mateo's is a Peruvian Chicken place I haven't tried. And further north on 4 is the new location of Sabor Peruano where the big Pedro's used to be.

Let us know where end up.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/12 22:58:12
Random tidbit - nothing solid, but according to http://www.dineoutoften.com/, Del Taco (much talked about on this site as a *much* better fast food taco than Taco Bell - not that this is a lofty target) is trying to expand into Cincinnati. Not sure hw they'll maintain good quality control, given their base is much further west, but hope springs eternal :-)
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/13 06:30:35

TJ
Don't set your sights too high for Del Taco. I have experienced them in several of the SoCal locations and do find them above Taco Bell, but not above any of the multitude of other Taco Chains. Just one more grade B- Mexican FF stop.
zataar
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/14 07:51:07
A friend of mine has just started teaching at the University of Cincinnati. Anywhere I can direct her that is interesting. She is definitely into good food of all kinds, roadfood, ethnic, eclectic. Thanks in advance.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/14 12:03:59
Zataar: There are other Cincinnati readers who know the good ethnic places far better than I, so I will skip most of that and only talk about what I have experienced and liked in that area. In particular, there are several Indian restaurants on Ludlow, which borders the north edge of the main campus.

Both just south of the main campus:

Mac's Pizza Pub: Very good pizza, an excellent cooked-to-order charburger, and a wonderful deep-fried calzone called a Macover. Not expensive. On McMillan.

Floyd's. I don't know what else they serve, because I always get the outstanding broiled chicken and garlic lima beans. On Calhoun.

Make sure she gets over to Camp Washington Chili for (of course) chili, but also for goetta (local breakfast speciality) and for a double-decker sandwich. About 2 miles west of main campus, just on the other side of I-75
zataar
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/14 12:41:17
Thanks TJ! That should get my friend started.
For my own information, what are the garlic lima beans like? Those sound like something I'd like to try on my own. Any tomato in them?
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/14 12:42:59

Zataar,
Remind your friend that Jungle Jims AND Costco have two outlets each on the North and Northeast side of Town. Shopping for Food in Cincinnati can be a very good experience !!
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/14 12:44:46
There is a BBQ cook off in CIncy this weekend at Jim Dandy's Family BBQ in Sharonville:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20070914/ENT01/709140304/

If anyone goes, please fill us in. {I can't~have to work!}
zataar
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/14 12:49:05
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Zataar,
Remind your friend that Jungle Jims AND Costco have two outlets each on the North and Northeast side of Town. Shopping for Food in Cincinnati can be a very good experience !!

Thanks Al! I totally forgot about Jungle Jim's, I know she would like that. She is a Costco member, too!
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/14 13:21:27
zataar~

I live near UC, and can give a few suggestions.

Here is a link to Floyd's. A warning that they are not always open when they say they are, and they take a lot of vacations, but they usually post them:
http://www.floydscincy.com/

Myra's Dionysus is next door to Floyd's on Calhoun. Their menu is very diverse, and they have 8 soups a day:
http://www.myrasrestaurant.com/

Olives on Ludlow is my new favorite:
http://olivesonludlow.com/

On Ludlow Ave. is Graeter's Ice Cream, Skyline Chili, Dewey's Pizza, Keller's IGA {great grocery store} and Mediterrean Foods.

On McMillian is Pomodori's Pizza, my favorite:
http://www.pomodoris.net/

There are a lot of places on McMillan near Mac's.
http://www.macspizzapub.com/

Maki Sushi is new.
http://rodeo.cincinnati.com/f2/dining/details.aspx?siteid=0&id=10447&lid=10557&cID=2

Chicago Gyro's is good.
http://www.cliftonheights.org/Merchants/Dining/Chicago%20Gyro/ChicagoGyro.html

And King Wok:
http://rodeo.cincinnati.com/f2/dining/details.aspx?siteid=0&id=361&lid=531&cID=2

German/Hungarian at Christy's/Lenhardt's:
http://www.christysandlenhardts.com/

There are others, but I'm sure this will keep your friend busy for a minute!!
zataar
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/14 18:13:23
Thanks soozy, TJ and Al, The information has been forwarded and greatly appreciated.
Ghaz
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/15 03:01:21
quote:
Originally posted by soozycue520

There is a BBQ cook off in CIncy this weekend at Jim Dandy's Family BBQ in Sharonville:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20070914/ENT01/709140304/

If anyone goes, please fill us in. {I can't~have to work!}

There's a cook off at Turfway Park in Florence as well

http://www.turfway.com/general.asp?id=151
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/15 10:38:15
Who's turning in this recent run of Cincinnati reviews? Mr Gene's Doghouse, Golden Lamb, Zips etc.....the name at the bottom of the reviews tends not to match up well with the forum name
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/15 10:50:46
My friend and I wound up at New Orleans to Go - she had never been there. And am I glad. The shrimp po' boy was the best I've ever tasted! She got the oyster plate... I normally don't like cooked oysters, but I'm here to tell you they were excellent! Even the Diet Pepsi tasted good!
Will try the suggested places on Route 4 next time it's my turn to choose for our lunch bunch.
frank
tpd
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/17 01:50:05
I've been meaning to get back to N.O.ToGo... Did you get the Shrimp PoBoy straight up, or BBQ Style? I got mine BBQ Style and Dressed. What a good sandwich. The BBQ Sauce and Mayo blended into a delicious if shirt staining topping. Loved it. I want to try some of the "One Pot" dishes they offer. These folks can cook!

Let us know if you try any of the RT. 4 places. I've only been to Matteo's Char Broil (corrected name) once and had a couple of really good red hot dogs. I'd like to know what someone else thinks, especially if they have something else. BTW the Peruvian Chicken place is across the little street at the end of the strip mall, behind Blockbuster.
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/17 16:57:30
quote:
Originally posted by tpd

. BTW the Peruvian Chicken place is across the little street at the end of the strip mall, behind Blockbuster.

I stopped in the chicken place back in february to grab a menu, but nothing on it seemed overly Peruvan. I was looking for plantains or a variety of meats of veggies or sides that broke the norm as I eat just about anythnig. Nothing sturck my fancy and it seemed like a Kenny Rogers Roasters with a bunch of fried side items but nothing different.

Stop in and grab a menu or even a bite. I'd love to hear wht you find.

jjjrfoodie

soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/17 21:41:43
According to the Cincinnati.com Foodie Blog, Black Forest & Nick's Chops and Chaser's have closed. These are both big losses. They were both institutions!!

A comment by a reader asked if anyone knows anything about Vinyl. He stopped by a couple of times on a Friday and Saturday evening, and they were closed. I must say good riddance to this place, if this is true. However, I thought the owners were opening up some other clubs in the Main St. District.
kimmykins
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/18 01:17:20
Hi again all. Thought I'd post about a few places I have eaten in the past couple weeks. Please bear with me if you guys have discussed these places ad nauseum or are known institutions -- I'm new-ish to Cincy.

Went to Arthur's Cafe in Hyde Park a couple times. I know their "boursin burger" is quite popular, and deservedly so. However, last Friday, I happened to try their special, the Fried Flounder. Wow! That was a good fish sandwich. Apparently, the fried flounder is only prepared on Friday, but it is delicious, even better than their regular fish sandwich on the menu, the cod (which is also pretty good). The outside was perfectly fried, nicely crispy on the edges, especially. The outside was not heavily battered, and was a nice alternative to the typical beer-battered, heavy fried fish pub sandwich. It comes with fries and priced well at $6.50. My only complaint is that I wasn't very fond of the sub roll they used. It's a bit too dense, but the fish itself was delicious!
kimmykins
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/18 01:24:59
So, I have been feen'ing for some fish and chips lately and heard that the best ones can be found at Cock and Bull in Covington. Apparently, it regularly is awarded the "Best Fish and Chips" award in various publications. Eh... I'd give 'em a 6.5 to 7. I'm not saying they weren't tasty or that I didn't finish the plate, but perhaps I was expecting a taste orgasm after reading so many ringing endorsements. I thought the homemade tartar sauce was a bit too tart. The fish itself was pretty good, but I believe I liked the ones from De'Shas better. Any way, what do you all think? Have you guys been to "Cock and Bull?"
kimmykins
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/18 01:38:37
All right, last review of the night. Last week, DH and I tried The Silver Spring House in Montgomery/Symmes Township. Apparently, they are well known for their rotisserie/grilled chicken. DH ordered, oh I forget the name... It was some kind of special burrito with their famous chicken. I ordered a dinner platter (breast and wing) of their specialiaty grilled chicken and we also shared some fish and chips. I would say the results were a mixed bag.

The burrito was quite good and really delicious. It came with a black bean salad and blue tortilla chips, which was a nice accompaniment.

My dinner platter of their grilled chicken was subpar at best. It came with fries and coleslaw. The chicken was just so daggone dry! Perhaps the dark meat would be juicier, but over-grilling white meat chicken is quite easy and apparently my line chef was not very adept at it. The coleslaw was good, though.

Ok, so the worst part of the meal was the fish. I start eating a few bites of fish, and initially, it's OK. Definitely not the best I have had, but also not the worse. So, as I'm biting into a thicker piece, my tongue encounters a lukewarm to cold sensation and the texture has definitely changed from flakey to firm. Apparently The Silver Spring House serves frozen fish pieces. I was disappointed, to say the least. I guess the question is, should I be disappointed? Should I expect a local restaurant with a good reputation to serve fish they hand-batter/bread?

Other than the food, the service was good and the manager did comp us part of the meal since the fish was clearly undercooked. The atmosphere was nice as they have a large indoor/outdoor area which is great on a late summer/early fall day.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/18 01:51:25
DH=designated hitter? Don Ho? Dining homey?

Anyway, thanks for the all the info.
franklee
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/18 02:59:51
A Senegalese restaurant on the west side... actually it's probably in Northside... intersection of Montana & Colerain... Darousalam... fare seems to be similar to the restaurant (can't think of its name) on Vine Street out by Drake Hospital. And like two other African restaurants I've been to in Cincinnati area, the menu mostly doesn't reflect what they're serving at the moment. Saturday, there were only 2 luncheon items available.. a fish stew and mafe Yap which is what i wanted anyhow... a lamb stew in peanut sauce... $7 for lunch.. raised prices by $1 last week. Not quite as good as the Vine Street restaurant, but convenient.. their menu says they're open 7 days noon til 11pm... I'll be going back... i do like lamb stew..
Mr.Br0wn
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/18 08:37:25
I had another great lunch @ New Orleans to Go and also a nice conversation with the young lady that runs the show there. She asked where I had heard about the restaurant and I told her roadfood.com to which she replied. "your not the one taking pictures of the wings are you?" I told her I was not that I was the one wondering why there was never any iced tea lol.She told me she had a problem with a supplier and there is plenty of iced tea now. when I ordered my lunch I asked for a side of Oysters (they were so good on the Po boy last time I wanted just oysters) and she was very accommodating to my request then suggested a pineapple soda from Louisiana that they go and get when they visit. I had Oysters(perfectly cooked) BBQ Shrimp Po Boy(loads of shrimp) and Jambalaya(perfect spices and meat in every bite)I will have to give my latest stop to NO2GO a number 10.
kimmykins
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/18 09:32:25
Bwah!!! I liked "dining homey" best, but all your suggestions were pretty clever. Unforunately, however, DH is the much more pedestrian "dear husband". I lurk on a few other forums where it is part of the vernacular.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/18 09:57:31
quote:
Originally posted by franklee

A Senegalese restaurant on the west side... actually it's probably in Northside... intersection of Montana & Colerain... Darousalam...

That would be Northside, and it's technically West Fork and Colerain since Montana "ends" by the former BP at the I-74 ramp. I live within walking distance of this place, but haven't been yet. At times, it's difficult to tell if they're even open, and I could have sworn the place was on fire a couple of weeks ago with all of the smoke billowing out of their chimney. It sounds like I'll have to give it a try, since I'm a fan of Teranga, but rarely travel that part of Route 4. Thanks for mentioning it!
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/18 19:38:32
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Br0wn

I had another great lunch @ New Orleans to Go and also a nice conversation with the young lady that runs the show there. She asked where I had heard about the restaurant and I told her roadfood.com to which she replied. "your not the one taking pictures of the wings are you?" I told her I was not that I was the one wondering why there was never any iced tea lol.

Sounds like I was the perp who posted up the wing pics.
I did not take the pic at the restaurant (if it was indeed me,) but in the comfort of my own home.
Hope there was not a problem with the representation of the food. It was indeed delicious and looked great as the pics.

I did swing by NOTG today for a quick lunch carryout to try the Jambalaya and the chowder. Sadly I am still at work and worked thru lunch so it will be my dinner 2nite.
I'll post pics as long as the NOTG girls do not have a problem. I hope.

jjjrfoodie
tpd
Hamburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/09/18 20:39:07
I hope they don't mind the free publicity. I thought the wings looked great too.

I have seen some threads on other forums about restaurant employees getting bent out of shape about people taking pictures at the table. Apparently the popularity of food blogs has lead to more and more people doing this. I guess in higher end place it might seem a little declasse. And taking a bunch of flash photos might get annoying but people need to relax a bit.
Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 17 of 55 - Powered by APG vNext Trial