The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 18 of 108, messages 511 to 540 of 3220
TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4482
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 12/22/06 9:16 AM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by YorkHostess
restuarants I miss downtown are The Wheel Cafe, The Colonade and Pogue's Bridge. One great thing about The Colonade was that people sat down to eat at tables with other people they didn't know, I thought that was really cool.

Also,I like the Anchor Grill in Covington. What a dive! They do a great goetta and eggs. I love the atmosphere too.

Welcome to the board. Do you work or live downtown?

Tell us more about these three defunct eateries....where they were located, what sort of food they served, etc.....

I went to the Anchor just once, and was very disappointed in the breakfast I was served, which included biscuits from a box that were unforgivably stale. I mean, c'mon, you can thaw them to use as you need them, no need for institutional packed biscuits to be stale....not that they are all that great fresh to start with

TJ Jackson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 12/22/06 9:18 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cajunking

Ooooh Mama Das ist gut!

It sounds like cajunking found a place OTHER THAN the German Butcher.....is there such a sign anywhere on the front of the German Butcher? I don't recall seeing such a sign

TJ Jackson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 12/22/06 10:59 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by soozycue520

Saturday night, I went to Vinyl , with the hope that the menu would be fantabulous, with a new chef.

Wrong!!!

quote:

the "owner", "co-owner", "chef", or "night mananger", whoever he was, followed us from the restaurant, and asked why we were dissatisfied.

quote:

The guy, whoever he was, followed us out of the restaurant {VINYL}, and told us we obviously did not have a "palate" for what "Vinyl" was trying to accomplish.

take a look at the guy pictured at:
      http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20061215/ENT01/612150315/
      is that the guy?

Alco251

• Total Posts: 74
        RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 12/22/06 2:48 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        On Dixie Highway in Elsmere/Erlanger there was Emerson's Bakery

Emerson's in Erlanger is a retail outlet for the main bakery on US25 just south of downtown Florence. There is another branch somewhere on US42.

In the same strip mall in Erlanger is Greek to Me which has the best (only?) gyros and other Greek goodies in N. Ky. Yummy and cheap!

PS - Emersons is closed Sunday and Monday.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
          • Roadfood Insider
          RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 12/22/06 3:25 PM (permalink)
          sounds like it is worth the trip back over there to investigate further

I love a good german butcher, my mother's side of the family (Scharf) were butchers and ran a meat market here in SE Indiana years and years ago.

I will keep you up to date on my discovery

TJ, it might have been the same place, there were several signs on the building, but that is the only one I could read as I went by to quickly to realize what it was.

soozycue520

• Total Posts: 1026
            RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 12/22/06 4:29 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by TJ Jackson

quote:

Saturday night, I went to Vinyl , with the hope that the menu would be fantabulous, with a new chef.

Wrong!!!

quote:

the "owner", "co-owner", "chef", or "night mananger", whoever he was, followed us from the restaurant, and asked why we were dissatisfied.

quote:

The guy, whoever he was, followed us out of the restaurant {VINYL}, and told us we obviously did not have a "palate" for what "Vinyl" was trying to accomplish.

take a look at the guy pictured at:
            http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20061215/ENT01/612150315/
            is that the guy?

TJ~~

Definitely not that guy. I would not have forgot that mustache, or those tattoos. The guy we dealt with was a skinny, smarmy guy.

I read about the new menu on your link. I don't remember the potato skins {with proscuitto, etc.}, or the ahi tuna "fish" & chips being on the menu. Maybe they haven't incoroporated the new menu yet. They really need to take those "lobster" burgers off the menu. OK, I'll stop about that!!!

BillC

• Total Posts: 119
              RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 12/22/06 7:33 PM (permalink)
              quote:

sounds like it is worth the trip back over there to investigate further

I love a good german butcher, my mother's side of the family (Scharf) were butchers and ran a meat market here in SE Indiana years and years ago.

I will keep you up to date on my discovery

TJ, it might have been the same place, there were several signs on the building, but that is the only one I could read as I went by to quickly to realize what it was.

"Oh Mama, Das ist Gut" is a phrase The German Butcher has displayed in front of the store. It's a line you'll also see in their advertising. I believe there is still a plaque on the wall of the store describing why they use that phrase, etc. It's the same place. Give it a try.

Wallyum

• Total Posts: 627
                RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 12/22/06 9:52 PM (permalink)
                quote:

quote:

what was one my favorite restaurant in all of Cincinnati is really, truly, not all that good.

Of course I speak of Montgomery Inn

Amen Brother! I totally agree! Overrated!

I'm new to this thread and haven't read all that went on b/4 me but I wanted to say that restuarants I miss downtown are The Wheel Cafe, The Colonade and Pogue's Bridge. One great thing about The Colonade was that people sat down to eat at tables with other people they didn't know, I thought that was really cool.

Also,I like the Anchor Grill in Covington. What a dive! They do a great goetta and eggs. I love the atmosphere too.

We used to eat at The Wheel and Pogue's Bridge on trips downtown with my grandparents. I remember the name Colonade, but I don't remember the location, so I doubt I ever ate there. I thought Pogue's was pretty cool. Thanks for mentioning them. It's always nice to remember my grandparents, especially at this time of year.

soozycue520

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sat, 12/23/06 12:55 AM (permalink)
                  The Wheel Cafe was on 6th Street. Although I am too young to remember it, there was the advertisement on the side of the building WAY into the 80's -90's, until McDonald's, and Taco Bell folded.

The "on the building" advertisement was around until around the time that Larry {Jimmy} Flint tried to reopen the Hustler store on Sixth Street. Si Leis went nuts, and that whole block became crazy!! {I am not blaming anything, nor anyone. I am just making a statement.}

Does anyone remember the " 'Wheel Cafe' billboard" on the side of the building on Sixth Street, between Vine and Walnut?

Sandy Thruthegarden

• Total Posts: 624
                    RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sat, 12/23/06 8:37 AM (permalink)
                    quote:

T

Does anyone remember the " 'Wheel Cafe' billboard" on the side of the building on Sixth Street, between Vine and Walnut?

Yes, and I remember eating at the Wheel several times in the early to mid '70s. I remember it as a venerable old cafe frequented by a lot of regulars from nearby offices but I can't say I remember much about the food. On the other hand, I can't say that my tastes were finely honed at that point in my life.

"I'm new to this thread and haven't read all that went on b/4 me but I wanted to say that restuarants I miss downtown are The Wheel Cafe, The Colonade and Pogue's Bridge. One great thing about The Colonade was that people sat down to eat at tables with other people they didn't know, I thought that was really cool. "

YH - I too miss the Bridge at Pogue's. It was a great place for a tuna salad sandwich or a terrific ice cream sundae. I also miss the Camargo Room at Pogue's which served a rich and delicious cream of asparagus soup one day per week. In fact, I miss Pogue's in general...what a fine old department store.

YH - I agree with TJ. Please tell us what you know/remember about downtown eateries. Do you remember The Lorelei (I think it was on Walnut)? We often ate there when I was a kid but I don't remember many details. Of course, other d'town restaraunts included: The Cricket, the Wiggins, the Rib Pit, Pierre's, and Ted Kluzewski's. The Act IV on Vine was a bar that had great sandwiches. I am also trying to remember what Madonna's was called back in the '70s when the walls were covered with pictures of Sinatra and his was the only music played in the place. But, I'm "geezing" here. YH- Can you help me with any info?

TIA

Sandy

Wallyum

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sat, 12/23/06 12:51 PM (permalink)
                      quote:

The Wheel Cafe was on 6th Street. Although I am too young to remember it, there was the advertisement on the side of the building WAY into the 80's -90's, until McDonald's, and Taco Bell folded.

The "on the building" advertisement was around until around the time that Larry {Jimmy} Flint tried to reopen the Hustler store on Sixth Street. Si Leis went nuts, and that whole block became crazy!! {I am not blaming anything, nor anyone. I am just making a statement.}

Yeah, I believe that was on the side of the actual building. The Wheel was on the street level. Seems like it disappeared when I was in high school.

TJ Jackson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 12/27/06 12:30 PM (permalink)
                        I made it to Sub Station II in Florence during a shopping foray to the Florence Mall.

I wasn't honestly aware they were a "national" chain (albeit they're[url='http://www.substationii.com/locationssub.htm']mostly in the Carolinas[/url]) until I did a search to see if I could find a local review I recall reading from a few years back

http://www.substationii.com/alltheway.htm

Had a #19 done up "all the way", which is the closest approximation they have to a standard italian sub. I thought the meat and toppings were very good and very generous, but the bread was not up to par. Overall pretty good, but not worthy of a special trip.

Anyone else eaten there?

Alco251

• Total Posts: 74
                          RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 12/27/06 12:46 PM (permalink)
                          quote:

I made it to Sub Station II in Florence during a shopping foray to the Florence Mall.

Anyone else eaten there?

I was a frequent visitor to the Ft. Wright location when I lived there. My favorite was the Pizza Sub (#29). Also, they were only place you could get Vienna Beef hot dogs for a long time. Even though they are a chain, they are independent and 'divey' enough to qualify as Roadfood for me.

They have a number of items not on the National menu - http://www.substationii.com/florencemenu.pdf

soozycue520

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 12/27/06 12:53 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Sandy Thruthegarden

I am also trying to remember what Madonna's was called back in the '70s when the walls were covered with pictures of Sinatra and his was the only music played in the place. But, I'm "geezing" here. YH- Can you help me with any info?

TIA

Sandy

I remember "Jonathons" being where "Madonna's" is now. Is that what you are thinking of?

jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
                              RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 12/27/06 12:55 PM (permalink)
                              quote:

Well here we are, post 2500.

I wasn't sure what to do with it, at first, other than I wanted it to be in this particular thread. After some thought, I decided to finalize a progression of thought I have had since first starting this thread.....specifically, slowly realizing that what was once (a long time ago) my favorite restaurant in all of Cincinnati is really, truly, not all that good.

Of course I speak of Montgomery Inn

My boss favors the place, and every time we have an out of town manager or group in for us to meet or work with, he takes us all there. I've tried different things - pulled pork, pork chops, chicken dishes, fried fish, even the occasional pasta - and of course gave their speciality, the pork ribs, yet another shot - but frankly, none of them were even what I'd call good.

Part of it has been the education in what BBQ is that I have gained here at Roadfood. Part of it is, I'm sure, changing tastes as I have gotten older. I also think the restaurant itself is resting on it's laurels

Ah well.

I still think it is a place to try once, as a HUGE number of local folks absolutely swear by this place just as I once did, but it is a restaurant I will personally avoid from here on out.

Except when the boss takes us out on a mandatory office outing. *shrug* as a free meal, it isn't too bad.

"And yea, the scales fell from mine eyes, and I saw an new paradigm of barbecue, and fell away from mine old ways to cleave unto those of the Roadfoodies. Thy 'cue shall be my 'cue, thy sauce, my sauce."

jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
                                RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 12/27/06 12:59 PM (permalink)
                                quote:

quote:
                                restuarants I miss downtown are The Wheel Cafe, The Colonade and Pogue's Bridge. One great thing about The Colonade was that people sat down to eat at tables with other people they didn't know, I thought that was really cool.

Welcome to the board. Do you work or live downtown?

Tell us more about these three defunct eateries....where they were located, what sort of food they served, etc.....

I went to the Anchor just once, and was very disappointed in the breakfast I was served, which included biscuits from a box that were unforgivably stale. I mean, c'mon, you can thaw them to use as you need them, no need for institutional packed biscuits to be stale....not that they are all that great fresh to start with

Oh, the Wheel! I went there with my Mom when we did monthly shopping trips downtown in those halcyon pre-mall days of the '60s. I remember the place well. So warm and inviting.

The Pogue's Bridge was in Pogue's, later L.S. Ayer's, in Carew Tower, and went between the two halves of the store (which fronted both 4th and 5th Streets). You had a great view of the Carew's art deco arcade interior. Chicken salad, "ladies who lunch" kind of fare.

buffetbuster

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 12/27/06 1:13 PM (permalink)
                                  annpeeples-
                                  I did order some of the Kentucky creams you recommended from Schneider's Candy when I placed my order for Christmas. They were delicious and practically melted in your mouth. Still not as good as the buckeyes, though!

Robin Hood

• Total Posts: 101
                                    RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 12/27/06 2:23 PM (permalink)
                                    What's the deal with the Southview Restaurant opening up at Newport on the Levee? It is supposed to be serving "urban soul food". Isn't that kind of redundant?

http://www.southviewrestaurant.com/

jjjrfoodie

• Total Posts: 422
                                      RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 12/27/06 3:55 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Robin Hood

What's the deal with the Southview Restaurant opening up at Newport on the Levee? It is supposed to be serving "urban soul food". Isn't that kind of redundant?

Another semi-fringe restaurant to take up location at "eminent domain on the levee." Very high rent thus high prices I'm sure, and unfortunately is really not a true soul food way of slinging meals. Neat idea, but I give them a year max given this regions MOTR culinary savyness and whining at prices of unique food locales around here.

(BTW, I'm off to try Le Vietenam Restaurant again tonite-- I tried it before and others panned it after my posts-- now that things have calmed down, so I'll keep you posted and post pics. I talk the talk so I'll walk the walk and plunk down a good 15 to 20 denaros to see for myself.)

jjjrfoodie

Info on SouthView for the non-browsy folks like myself.
                                      "SouthView Restaurant at Newport on the Levee will offer an inviting upscale dining experience with an innovative twist on Southern Cuisine. The interior will feature a large dining area with a cozy fireplace and a unique view of the kitchen. Our private dining room is perfect for intimate celebrations with customizable menus, an eighteen person antique oak table and personalized service. Our thirty-three foot long granite bar will feature local wines, an extensive bourbon selection and unique cocktails in a warm lounge atmosphere. Our menu will change with the seasons, relying on locally grown produce, Kentucky raised beef, pork and lamb; with fresh herbs grown in our very own indoor garden! We will feature dishes such as cheddar grits soufflé topped with bacon brulee, spicy blue crab cake sandwich, Amish chicken gumbo, crayfish ravioli with chiffonade mustard greens, Heritage Farms baby back ribs, seasonal fruit cobblers and pies and house made ice creams….just to name a few. We will have our grand opening in January and SouthView is located on the plaza level between Brio and Tropicana. We look forward to bringing you a unique dining experience.
                                      Jay VanderVoort - Owner
                                      Sumant Sunkara - Owner
                                      Veronica Maxwell - Executive Chef
                                      James Mossing - Executive Chef
                                      web site- www.southviewrestaurant.com

Robin Hood

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 12/27/06 4:49 PM (permalink)
                                        ok, but nothing about that sounds like a unique dining experience.

I, for one, am happy for the Newport on the Levee project, so I don't call it the eminent domain name, but I would like to see some more options opening up nearby. I love being able to walk to a movie and bookstore, but the chain restaurant options are awful.

I went to Claddaugh Irish Pub for a burger today. I got my bill and they charged me $3.90 for a diet coke. The soda is $1.95 and they charged me for a refill. Unreal. I will NEVER go back there. I could've had a good beer for that amount of money. Or, I could've purchased a 12 pack of soda. I could understand if this was poured from a can, but it was soda from a cannister at the bar.

dlawson

• Total Posts: 237
                                          RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 12/27/06 5:58 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:

I wasn't honestly aware they were a "national" chain (albeit they're[url='http://www.substationii.com/locationssub.htm']mostly in the Carolinas[/url]) until I did a search to see if I could find a local review I recall reading from a few years back

http://www.substationii.com/alltheway.htm

Had a #19 done up "all the way", which is the closest approximation they have to a standard italian sub. I thought the meat and toppings were very good and very generous, but the bread was not up to par. Overall pretty good, but not worthy of a special trip.

Anyone else eaten there?

I have a friend who lives less than a mile from there, and we've eaten there on a couple of occasions. I agree, not worthy of a special trip. There isn't anything to differentiate it from Jersey Mike's, which has recently decreased its number of sandwich offerings and increased its prices. Fortunately, Jersey Mike's kept the #10, which I still enjoy "Mike's Way" (sans tomatoes) during Lent.

That's the first I've heard of SouthView, and their version of "soul food" sounds less than appetizing at the moment. Of course, I'm in Lafayette, LA at the moment, where the real thing is readily available.

Sandy Thruthegarden

• Total Posts: 624
                                            RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 12/27/06 6:20 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:

quote:
                                            Originally posted by Sandy Thruthegarden

I am also trying to remember what Madonna's was called back in the '70s when the walls were covered with pictures of Sinatra and his was the only music played in the place. But, I'm "geezing" here. YH- Can you help me with any info?

TIA

Sandy

I remember "Jonathons" being where "Madonna's" is now. Is that what you are thinking of?

Upon reflection, I think it might have been called the 'Seventh Street Watering Hole" back in the mid '70s. I think it became Jonathan's later. I'm glad you posted though. I had forgotten about Jonathan's.

Wallyum

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 12/27/06 8:49 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:

I went to Claddaugh Irish Pub for a burger today. I got my bill and they charged me $3.90 for a diet coke. The soda is $1.95 and they charged me for a refill. Unreal. I will NEVER go back there. I could've had a good beer for that amount of money. Or, I could've purchased a 12 pack of soda. I could understand if this was poured from a can, but it was soda from a cannister at the bar.

You'd pay $1.95 for a can of Diet Coke?
                                              No wonder you like the Levee.

Robin Hood

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 12/28/06 9:00 AM (permalink)
                                                no Wallyum that is not what I said. Nowhere in my post does it say that I pay $1.95 for a can of soda. My point, which you missed, was that it was outrageously priced. My comment about the can was meant to show that it was even more outrageous because it was from a fountain gun. Geez, I can't believe I have to explain this to you.

Did you read my post? I said that I DO NOT like the chain restaurants at the Levee, but I do enjoy being able to walk to go see a movie.

Why do I have this feeling that all you guys who rip the Levee live in suburbia and shop at the mall? It's easy for those of you who do not live in downtown to wax nostalgic for the days when it was just condemned buildings, crackhouses, and piles of garbage.

TJ Jackson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 12/28/06 9:29 AM (permalink)
                                                  I wax nostalgic for the days when Newport still blissfully collected my mother-in-law's property taxes on her home, which was suddenly "blighted" when developers announced that they wanted the land her house (and many others) happened to sit upon. Truly, this was an amazing coincidence, that all the houses on the desired land became blighted the very day that the developers wanted the land.

But I digress....let's get back to the good eats......

Robin Hood

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 12/28/06 3:14 PM (permalink)
                                                    weren't you the one who was just saying that the Over the Rhine area was too dangerous? ironic.

jjjrfoodie

• Location: Cincinnati, OH
                                                      RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 12/28/06 3:22 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:

Did you read my post? I said that I DO NOT like the chain restaurants at the Levee, but I do enjoy being able to walk to go see a movie.

I would be lead to belive that Wallyum was being sarcastic with his comment.

Aside from TJ's situation, I feel the eats at the Levee, while mostly good, reflect the high cost of rent in thier food prices and can command those prices since they have a captured audience (a'la Disney) once you have paid your $5 to park in thier garage up front.

If there is something that suits everyone's fancy and you care to drop the dollars, then it is indeed a fine place to dine. I'm saddened that Pacific Moon has changed their food and dining experience direction but Mitchell's and others provide great food, but the crowds and wait times on the weekends keep me away.

Happpy dining.

jjjrfoodie

dlawson

• Total Posts: 237
                                                        RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 12/28/06 6:46 PM (permalink)
                                                        I also enjoy most of the dining options at the Levee, although Pacific Moon isn't one of them. That's the first I've heard of Claddagh charging for refills, but I haven't been to that location in at least a year.

Personally, I have no problem with the development in Newport, because it (at the very least) offers a moviegoing option to an area that hadn't had anything since the Real closed down in the mid-90's. Wax nostalgic all you like, but Newport was a dangerous area that, unlike Over-The-Rhine, had no interest in bettering itself until the developers stepped in.

Wallyum

• Location: Ft. Thomas, KY
                                                          RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 12/29/06 10:51 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:

no Wallyum that is not what I said. Nowhere in my post does it say that I pay $1.95 for a can of soda. My point, which you missed, was that it was outrageously priced. My comment about the can was meant to show that it was even more outrageous because it was from a fountain gun. Geez, I can't believe I have to explain this to you.

Why do I have this feeling that all you guys who rip the Levee live in suburbia and shop at the mall? It's easy for those of you who do not live in downtown to wax nostalgic for the days when it was just condemned buildings, crackhouses, and piles of garbage.

Ease up, Rob. It was a joke.
                                                          Here, I'll make it more obvious...

jjjrfoodie

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sat, 12/30/06 3:04 PM (permalink)
                                                            I went back to Le's Vietnamese restaurant on Thursday and dropped around $20 for a couple of carry-out meals.

All in all, it was quite yummy and very unique. Not up to the top level when compared to Song Long's, my local "always good" Pho joint, but I will return to Le's to continue to sample the menu.

EDIT: Le's dining update below:

Went back to Le’s last week in an attempt to sort out more of the menu and see where this place really falls in the scale of local Vietnamese restaurants.

I was on my way home from the office, so I decide to do a carry-out of two meals that varied greatly in ingredients and type. I chose the #29, Spicy vermicelli soup with spicy beef stew and then a simple BBQ roast pork with steamed rice meal. (I was warned the spicy beef stew was VERY spicy, but I like my food very very hot, so I was not deterred.)

After getting things home and doing a little prep (I still cannot find my dishes, hence the disposable bowls--ugh), the amount of food given was quite nice. The soup came in a 32oz container and was full to the brim . It included a very very good but not stellar chile and tomato based beef broth, along with some lemongrass and a LOT of heat for most (Probably a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10) and also included a good amount of shredded beef. In a separate container came the sides that are to be added to the broth once portioned out. These included more sliced beef, Vietnamese sliced pork loaf, noodles (in the form of spaghetti—odd I thought), cilantro, cooked onion slices, and sliced jalepenos a’la typical pho fare. I got 3 meals out of this part using big portions, so it is quite a bit of food.

The roast pork BBQ was the same meat as the sandwich reviewed earlier, but by adding sauce and stir frying it, the result was far more tender than the meat used in the sandwich. It was a nice sized meal as well, and tasty, and unique, but not anything most would not say is typical in a Chinese take-away place.

Spicy Beef stew

Fixins’ and soup container minus what is in bowl shown above

BBQ Roast pork with rice

All in all the food was very good and I’ll keep diggin into the menu to find more goodies and try the Pho to set up a baseline on that item.

There is still nary a patron in the place when I drive by and while I was there and the beer I had at On- the- Rox bar next door while waiting for my food was interesting in itself. My guess is that Le’s is a neat idea but bad location for anything but simple and known ethnic food.

BTW, For those on the Westside of town, the Angilo’s pizzeria at Cheviot Rd. and Westwood-Northern boulevard has closed and a little mom-and-pop Jamaican restaurant has opened there. I’ll stop in next week and see what’s up although I’m not over that way very often.

There is also a mom-and-pop style Peruvian restaurant IIRC over on Rt. 4 at Kemper amongst all of the construction for those strip centers and I need to stop in there as well to see what they offer.

Hope this helps.

Jerry
                                                            jjjrfoodie

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 18 of 108, messages 511 to 540 of 3220

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com