AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 19 of 109
Author
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/03 02:14:53 (permalink)
I went on a roadtrip to Dayton, Oh {fom Cincinnati}today.

I ate in the Oregon District in Dayton at Cafe Boulevard, and had Beef Medallions with lump crabmeat and a blue cheese topping {with asparagus and duchess potatoes}. It was fabulous. I did not have my camera, and it wasn't Roadfood!!

But on the way home, I stopped in West Chester for a drink. Since at Union Centre Blvd., there are mostly chain restaurants, and a few really high-end {"really expensive"} restaurants, we stopped for a drink at a smaller, regional "not really chain" restaurant ~ "Coyote" { the "El Coyote" restaurants, for you regional know-it-alls}.

This is a Tex-Mex restaurant, that does Tex-Mex to suit Midwestern tastes, but does it well. I know this description sounds, umm, oh ~~ [|)], but..

http://www.elcoyotecincy.com/ElCoyote/coyotegrille.htm

Actually, the staff is great. The bartender is fabulous {ask for Paul}, and the Tex-Mex macaroni is way good!

*Edited to add that I took this picture when I got home with my rockin' Tex-Mex macaroni!!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4535
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/03 10:00:47 (permalink)
I was workign from home yesterday, so I dve to Newtown from my palatial Mt Washington estate *insert laughter here* to Newtown, hoping to sample the pizza at the newly opened (or at least it's nw to me) Village Pizza.

I was closed, looks like they have fairly limited evening only hours, so I ended up at the Main Street Cafe at the corner of rt32 and Newtown Road, as I had always wanted to check tis place out anyway.

http://cincinnati.citysearch.com/profile/8188423/cincinnati_oh/main_street_cafe.html#profile

Fair warning - very nondescript food, and fairly high priced. I had a burger (was told they'd cook to order, but they didn't), fries, and a coke - ran me almost 12 bucks before tax and tip. Not worth a second trip.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/03 14:36:03 (permalink)
I've gone back to the new[url='http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061229/ENT01/612290320/1025/LIFE']Paula's Cafe[/url] about a half dozen times now, and still haven't found anything outstanding to eat there.

On the two most recent forays, I have tried

New England Clam Chowder - isn't NE style supposed to be a cream based soup? What I got was a yellow broth with huge chunks of potato and a smattering of tiny bits of clam. Not good at all.

Turkey breast sandwich - this is supposed to be the signature item. a tiny half sandwich and chips ran me almost 4 bucks and was probably no more than 3 ozs of weight in total. From the texture, I could tell this was a fairly high quality turkey, not a lunch-meat style turkey at all, but it was very dry and lacking in any seasoning.

The breakfast sandwich (from about 2 weeks back) was pretty good, but they cost about 5 bucks each.....

I guess the location at Findlay Maket has all the good stuff.

Nonethless - location, location, location - the placed is absolutely packed every day at lunchtime

(lots of mediocre meals of late - hope I find something good soon)
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/03 14:47:21 (permalink)
TJ, have you tried either Fresh or Ingredients (some assembly required) downtown yet? The Fresh menu (www.greatfoodgreatlife.com) reminds me of Melt, and the Ingredients menu (www.ingredientsforyou.com) reminds me of Doc Green's. Both are perhaps a bit too healthy to be Roadfood.
sudie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/03 15:56:24 (permalink)
I would agree about Main Street Cafe in Newtown. I've eaten there half a dozen times and have yet to find anything worth ordering again. Their tuna melt was particularly awful (tho this was a few years ago). It's much more pleasant since they went smokefree a few years ago, but I wouldn't go back on my own. That said, it's close to work and sometimes I go with friends who like it.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/04 10:22:26 (permalink)
I've eaten at Ingredients, but have not yet formed an opinion. It has the look and feel of a chain, though.....I wonder if it is

Fresh is rather expensive for what you get, and I have not yet ventured in, despite the fact that it is one of the closest eateries to where I work. I'll try to get to it soon.
Robin Hood
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/04 15:17:06 (permalink)
Ingredients did not seem like a health food restaurant to me. We had sausage pizza, a BLT, and Cubano sandwich.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/04 15:41:29 (permalink)
Let me add that I agree that Ingredients isn't a health food restaurant (although one can purchase a nice fresh salad or other fairly healthy lunch items).....the OTHER new eatery mentioned - Fresh - is all about organic this and free range that and so forth. With prices to match.

as an aside: The Cuban there doesn't look very authentic, though it is pressed
Robin Hood
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/04 16:57:00 (permalink)
What bothers me about Fresh as a downtown resident, is that is closes at 3 pm, and is not open on weekends for lunch. I doubt it is my cup of tea anyway, but I wish some of these more casual restaurants would realize that there are people who live downtown that need to eat at times other than 10:00 to 2:00 Mon. thru Fri.

soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/04 17:58:53 (permalink)
My car broke down, and I had to take a bus to KY, via downtown, on Thanksgiving. There were TANK bus detours because of the Thanksgiving Day Turkey Run downtown, and I was delayed for a bit. I decided to walk around, and found that "Ingredients" was open!! I grabbed a bagel while I waited.

This is probably because they are in a hotel, but I couldn't believe there was a place to grab a bite downtown on Thanksgiving morning. I have noticed they are open every weekend, as well.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/04 20:34:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Robin Hood

What bothers me about Fresh as a downtown resident, is that is closes at 3 pm, and is not open on weekends for lunch. I doubt it is my cup of tea anyway, but I wish some of these more casual restaurants would realize that there are people who live downtown that need to eat at times other than 10:00 to 2:00 Mon. thru Fri.

Tell me about it. One of many reasons why Shanghai Mama's was always my favorite.

During the 3+ years I lived on or just off 4th Street, I never once ate at Burrito Joe's (although it was literally around the corner), Red Fox Grill, or Le Boxx. I may never make it to Fresh, from the sound of it. When I do make a special trip downtown for lunch these days, it's always to Dink's.
Robin Hood
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/05 09:10:22 (permalink)
That's funny. I live right by Burrito Joes, Red Fox, Fresh, and I've never been able to eat at any of these places either. In my corner of downtown we have thousands of residents, and there are more dining options across the PPB in Newport than there are outside the door of our buildings in Cincinnati.

Yes, Shanghai Mama's is a great spot, but I cannot afford to have dinner at JeanRo and Jeff Ruby's every night.
JB3
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/10 01:02:07 (permalink)
Has anyone tried Jimmy D's steakhouse, cooper rd, montgomery?
Is it one of top 25 cincy restaurants to check out as they advertise? I want to take family out to a reasonably priced steak /meat & potatoes restaurant.
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/10 02:47:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JB3

Is it one of top 25 cincy restaurants to check out as they advertise? I want to take family out to a reasonably priced steak /meat & potatoes restaurant.

I have never tried Jimmy D's. It may be good, but I, personally, wouldn't say it's reasonably priced. However, here is the website...

http://www.jimmydssteakhouse.com/

For a more reasonably priced steak and potatoes dinner, try Nick's Chops and Chasers~

http://www.bluechipreview.com/Review_Nicks_Chops_Chasers.html

Dee Felice also has great ambience~

http://www.deefelice.com/restaurant.htm

If you are going to spend that kind of $$$, try any one of Jeff Ruby's restaurants {the Precinct is the most popular ~ http://jeffruby.com/index.php?affiliate_uid=precinct}

Let us know what you decide!!
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/10 06:58:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JB3

No. Very ordinary. Below average when you factor in the prices.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6352
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/10 10:01:14 (permalink)
I have eaten a Jimmy D's twice, both times were because some friends wanted to eat there, not because it was my choosing to eat there.

The food was good, but not great. The service was a little snooty.

I agree with soozycue, for a better steak and reasonable price, Nick's Chops & Chasers.

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/10 15:33:01 (permalink)
I did finally check out[url='http://www.greatfoodgreatlife.com/']Fresh[/url] (on the corner of 4th and Walnut downtown) today

To summarize
All salads: 5 bucks
All sandwiches: 7 bucks
All soups: 3 bucks (they appear to vary these without a pattern, and there are commonly 2-3 available)

Their focus is on organic/free range/no preservatives/sustainable agricultural products served up in salad, sandwich, and soup form. There's nothing particularly notable or creative on their menu as far as I can tell, but there are some nice ingredients, such as fresh mozzerella. They offer 3 choices of bread (white, whole grain, and focaccia) and the hot sandwiches are put on a sandwich press to asically toast/melt. Sandwiches come with choice of pretzels (Snyders fat free, bagged) or a whole red apple. No chips in sight.

I had a turkey/bacon/cheddar sandwich with chopped red onion on the whole grain bread. It was pretty good, but probably not worth 7 dollars. One of the sharpest cheddars I have had on a restaraunt sandwich, I will say that. The bread was of good but not great quality. Their sandwich making ingredients look very good, and it appeared the sandwich makers have some leeway in varying the sandwich ingredient from those specified on the menuboard above - ie, there is no "make your own sandwich" but I think if you arrive when they arent swamped and are nice and chatty, you'll get substitutions without any problem.

My sandwich maker indicated they usually have red roast beef, as I prefer it, but had none (they did have roast beef, just not any cooked to less than medium well) that day. He said the redness varies from day to day, so I'll check back a few times til they have some and try a cold roast beef sandwich.

tpd
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/11 02:33:35 (permalink)
I normally work 2pm to Midnight and have to bring something to eat at my desk. But the past two days I had training classes that required regular human hours so I got to try two lunch places near the my office at the airport.

Tuesday I hit the Imbis at German Cuisine on Dixie in Florence. Had the Curry Wurst and some hot potato salad. The curry wurst was a bratt sliced and served in a bowl of hot and slightly sweet curry sauce with a roll. There was a lot more sauce than needed and even after soaking it up with the roll there was plenty left in the bowl. It was definitely a European take on curry. The potato salad was good but nothing really special. I was the only one there when I arrived at 12:45 and only one other Imbis customer and one butcher counter customer came in before I left. Everybody was friendly and I recognized the imported butcher who said hi as I came in. Total with drink $7.50.

Today I went by Mr. Herb's in Hebron. This is a real RF kinda place. Had the famous cod sandwich with fries and slaw. The sandwich was two logs of fish fried in a cornmeal based coating on rye (my choice). It was a huge, piping hot sandwich that was't greasy at all with tartar sauce as the only topping. The fries were good too with nice seasoning. The slaw reminded me of a good deli counter item. I'm more of a fan of batter fried fish on a dressed sandwich but still I really enjoyed this version. These guys know their way around a frier. Total with tip $13.

I would recommend giving either a try although I would probably order something a little more involved at the Imbis next time.

You can now have the 9 to 5 world back for another year.... I'm going to slide back into my comfortable evening shift existence.
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/11 08:27:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tpd

I normally work 2pm to Midnight and have to bring something to eat at my desk. But the past two days I had training classes that required regular human hours so I got to try two lunch places near the my office at the airport.

Tuesday I hit the Imbis at German Cuisine on Dixie in Florence. Had the Curry Wurst and some hot potato salad. The curry wurst was a bratt sliced and served in a bowl of hot and slightly sweet curry sauce with a roll. There was a lot more sauce than needed and even after soaking it up with the roll there was plenty left in the bowl. It was definitely a European take on curry. The potato salad was good but nothing really special. I was the only one there when I arrived at 12:45 and only one other Imbis customer and one butcher counter customer came in before I left. Everybody was friendly and I recognized the imported butcher who said hi as I came in. Total with drink $7.50.

Today I went by Mr. Herb's in Hebron. This is a real RF kinda place. Had the famous cod sandwich with fries and slaw. The sandwich was two logs of fish fried in a cornmeal based coating on rye (my choice). It was a huge, piping hot sandwich that was't greasy at all with tartar sauce as the only topping. The fries were good too with nice seasoning. The slaw reminded me of a good deli counter item. I'm more of a fan of batter fried fish on a dressed sandwich but still I really enjoyed this version. These guys know their way around a frier. Total with tip $13.

I would recommend giving either a try although I would probably order something a little more involved at the Imbis next time.

You can now have the 9 to 5 world back for another year.... I'm going to slide back into my comfortable evening shift existence.

tpd - I'm so glad you referred to Mr. Herb's as a real RF kind of place. I was enthralled since my first visit on a chilly January Friday afternoon/evening. The place was warm, inviting, downhome and packed with just plain folks. Everyone was friendly. They had to pull a plastic menu from the window for me...I guess the regulars know it by heart. I waited for my order at the little bar and the owner brought my order out from the kitchen. The cod sandwiches were delicious and "huge" as you say. It's in a wierd out of the way place, sort of at the back edge of the airport. If you go the back way, it's like you're driving somewhere out in the country. I do think it's one of those places the Sterns ought to visit.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/11 09:02:53 (permalink)
13 bucks seems like a lot of money for a fish sandwich, even a really good one, tho..... I mean no offense.....just askin.....
Robin Hood
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/11 13:18:35 (permalink)
$13 sounds reasonable for two fillets of real cod. Cod is not cheap, plus it included his beverage and a couple of sides. I am not sure of the going rate of a pound of cod, but I know it is an expensive type of fish.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/12 18:04:32 (permalink)
quote:

$13 sounds reasonable for two fillets of real cod. Cod is not cheap, plus it included his beverage and a couple of sides. I am not sure of the going rate of a pound of cod, but I know it is an expensive type of fish.

tpd
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/12 18:45:12 (permalink)
The sandwich and fries were $6.50 if I remember correctly. I added slaw without asking the price which turned out to be $1.50 and the drink was the same. So it was $10.25 with tax included. I hang out with a lot of servers and bartenders and they have me well trained when it comes to tipping so I just left $13. I probably would live without the slaw next time giving it was good but not great and the sandwich was plenty big. It would be nice if they would throw in a little cup of slaw just to liven up the plate. But the two women behind me both ordered it as an add-on so who am I to tell Herb how to run his business

All in all though I don't mind paying a bit more to keep a mom and pop going. The night before I paid $8.75 for half a sandwich, soup and a drink at Pannera (needed the free wifi) and while it was certainly edible, it wasn't in the league of Herb's cod.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/12 20:45:41 (permalink)
quote:

Are you sure you can't afford to have dinner at JeanRo and Jeff Ruby's every night?
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/13 09:02:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

13 bucks seems like a lot of money for a fish sandwich, even a really good one, tho..... I mean no offense.....just askin.....

I see that tpd has already answered. The carryout menu I have says that the price of the sandwich is $6.95 and also says "All sandwiches served with fries and a pickle spear", so I don't think that's a bad deal. There truly is a lot of fish on that sandwich and the quality is excellent.

Some other items on this extensive menu include:

Black Angus Burger $6.25
Philly Steak $5.95
Fried or Grilled Chicken Sandwich $5.95
"The Hog" shaved ham sandwich $4.95

Various Dinners that all include two sides:
Smoked Chicken Dinner (half a chicken) $10.95
Grouper Dinner $9.95
Crab Cake Dinner $9.95
Scallop Dinner $7.95
BBQ Rib Dinner (half rack) $12.95
Walleye Dinner $12.95
Pork Chop Dinner $9.95
Liver and Onion Dinner $7.95
Sirloin Steak (8 oz.) $10.95

There are a number of other items on the menu as well.

TJ, if the price seems right for the Black Angus Burger, maybe you could check it out if you're in the area and give us a report.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/13 11:19:56 (permalink)
Those prices are no problem, I was just worried about a fish sandwich costing 13 bucks :-) Seems like a moot point now, though....:-)
Robin Hood
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/15 09:39:29 (permalink)
Everytime I post on this site, I get nothing but sarcastic replies. I give up.
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1178
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/15 09:43:43 (permalink)
http://cincinnati.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2007/01/01/story5.html

Nice piece on Jim Dandy's BBQ from the Cincinnati Business Courier....
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/15 10:05:31 (permalink)
Robin: no sarcasm from me, and my apologies if I somehow conveyed it....

Mr McKee: always good to see you make it on here. Do you have a link that allows a non-subscriber to read the article?
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 422
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/01/19 17:27:40 (permalink)
Had a 7pm ish meeting last night on the East side so thought I'd stop by City BBQ in the Hyde Park Plaza.

Since I had to get home, I ordered a pulled pork sandwich platter to go with my two sides being mac and cheese and the BBQ beans. Came with choice of BBQ sauce, whcih I choose the spicy type. Total cost $7.19.

The sandwich came unknowingly unsauced, and once unwrapped I thought that was awesome as I mind winced at eh thought of the soggy bun usually associated with transporting a wet-type sandwich home. Sandwich size was quite large and overstuffed with pork.
The mac and cheese was a little on the dry side for my tastes but yummy nonetheless. There was so much food i did not even get to taste the beans and they now reside in my fridge.

Overall a very good meal for the price and similar in cost to a burger/fries meal if eating out at any of the chains. The BBQ sauce was good and I'll need to try the other 3 sauces next time to compare the full line. I also want to try the brisket and sausage at that time as well.

If you are hankering BBQ, the quality will not leave you disappointed. The flavor I leave open for interpretation as some folks like smokey and others like mild. I'd say this is middle of the road. For me, I'll continue to smoke my own ribs at home, but the pulled pork and hopefully the other choices at City BBQ are well worth the drive as others had mentioned.

Enjoy.
jjjrfoodie
Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 19 of 109
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1