AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 20 of 111
Author
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4611
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/02/04 13:26:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jjjrfoodie

I went back to Le's Vietnamese restaurant on Thursday and dropped around $20 for a couple of carry-out meals.

All in all, it was quite yummy and very unique. Not up to the top level when compared to Song Long's, my local "always good" Pho joint, but I will return to Le's to continue to sample the menu.

I made my own way over to Le's the past Friday, dropping 14 bucks on 2 eggrolls (they sell two at a time, or I would have just ordered one), pepper steak, and a pork banh mi sandwich....my first banh mi ever

The woman who took my order was extremely helpful when I told her it was my first time here, and pointed out some things I whould try and not try for a first experience.

The eggrolls were very small and the filling tasted odd and had a very mushy consistency....I would not order these again

The pepper steak was excellent, with extremely tender, flavorful beef. My only disappointment was with the fact that there was very little of the tasty brown sauce...the ingredients were for the most part dry of sauce. The bell pepper was extra fresh, with a good snap to it

The banh mi was just flat out excellent, with the only fault in my mind being there was not much meat on it. Then again, I admittedly don't know if this is typical of a banh mi sandwich......maybe those more in the know could go into this. Next time, I will ask for this sandwich again, but ask them to double the pork. Damn tasty anyway, and the french bread they used was one of the best I have had in Cincinnati. I will have to ask what their source is.

lescincy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/02/04 13:37:34 (permalink)
Hello to all, I am new to the site. Just wondering peoples opinion on which is better Walt's BBQ or Pit-To-Plate?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/02/04 15:20:17 (permalink)
Pit to Plate, by far, no contest......imho
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/02/04 16:56:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Pit to Plate, by far, no contest......imho

I second that...no contest.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6526
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/02/05 10:13:23 (permalink)
Walt's is ok if there is nothing else, but if you have the choice.... Pit to Plate wins hands down.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/02/08 10:08:51 (permalink)
On the day of my 2-year anniversary at my current place of employment, I brought in a baker's dozen of packzi's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paczki) from Servatii's and boy were they ever good.

I think these things are only available in Cincinnati in February more or less, so get yourself a few of these while they last.

I think the lemon filled were my favorite, and the chocolate iced ones are filled with chocolate custard for a VERY rich chocolate taste. Going to have to pick up a couple more for the wife, a bonfide chocoholic.
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/02/08 16:55:52 (permalink)
Congrats on the Anniversary!

I love servatii's, only wish I was in downtown more often during the day to get there while they are open.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 251
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/02/08 17:03:48 (permalink)
I have neither been to nor (knowingly) eaten anything from Servatii, yet there's one "right up the street" from us, on Ludlow. I guess I'll have to remedy that.
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/02/10 08:29:32 (permalink)
Has anyone eaten at Rima's Diner in Crescent Springs? A blurb by Polly Campbell in yesterday's Weekend section of the Enquirer notes that Rima's is opening a second location in Covington. The blurb says that "Rima David serves up Kentucky-style home-cooked food: sandwiches, meatloaf, pinto beans, and corn bread." Sound like RF to me. Anybody know anything?

jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1193
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/02/16 10:59:16 (permalink)
Last Friday, the company prez took a few of us to Dickey's, a barbecue [small chain] place up in the Union Ctr Blvd / West Chester area.

Not bad. But not really great either. Gas fire and wood chips. Very few wood chips, from the taste of the meat. Buffet-style sides, including fried okra, but not greens. Sweet tea. Free little cones of ice cream.

Overall, better than the average chain place. But not by much.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/02/20 18:18:47 (permalink)
I fear Le's Vietnamese Bistro may be closed. I tried to pull up their Web site to get menu and contact information so that I could phone in an order tonight, and the site is either down or has been pulled offline. I went by the restaurant around 6:00 tonight, and it was closed. The tables, cash register, etc. were still in place, but the lights were off and the door was locked. There was no sign indicating whether or not they are out of business, however, and the "grand opening" banner is still up.
tpd
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/02/20 22:46:35 (permalink)
If you need a Vietnamese fix in the area try Chopstix on just off 75 at the Tylersville exit (northwest corner of T'ville and Cox). I like it better than the one time I went to Le's. There had better be a 12 Step program to get me off their Chargrilled Pork.

I'd be interested to hear what others think of the place.

Hopefully Le's was just taking the night off. I wanted to try it again. And even if it ends up not being to my tastes, I'm always rooting for the independent restaurants here in Chainville. (I guess we all are.)
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/02/21 19:55:09 (permalink)
It seems my fears were unfounded. I was in the area again tonight and drove by Le's, and he is still open. I didn't have time to stop in since I was meeting my wife for dinner, so I'm not sure what happened last night. His Web site is still down, however.

I'm glad to see he's still there, and I'm looking forward to giving the place another shot.
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/02/23 17:05:06 (permalink)
Has anyone eaten at Rachel's BBQ & Soul Food??

It is off Paddock road, over by the Cincy Gardens?

I stopped by there today, for some pulled pork, collard greens and mac & cheese.
Food was decent, price was less than $10 for lunch and a drink.

If I am back in the area, I will have to stop in again.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/03 07:52:20 (permalink)
For those of you interested in trying the new McCormick and Schmick's downtown, I found a coupon online that will give you $25 off your next dinner order:

http://www.fishbowl.com/clt/mccrmck/pc/200702/2/jmp/jmp.htm

It expires March 31, and there doesn't appear to be any restriction on the minimum number of people in your party. There is a spot for an online reservation number, which may or may not be a requirement.

My wife and I dined there last night. (I did make an online reservation.) The surrounding area is still pretty torn up from the Fountain Square construction, but it was easy enough to find an open parking meter nearby. They also offer valet, but I didn't look into the cost. The restaurant itself is trying for an upscale (yet obviously chain) look, but the noise level and curiously diverse crowd just don't seem to fit. I was actually glad to see such an interesting mix of people there, and it reminded me very much of the type of crowd one would find at Mullane's years ago.

It took a few minutes to get seated despite no one else in front of us, but service was fine once we were at our table. Menus are updated daily, depending on what fresh catches are available. There were over 30 last night, including shellfish. Our waiter was quick to point out that most of the selections can be prepared any way you wish, if the preparations listed on the menu don't suit you. He also mentioned that any drinks with citrus elements are "fresh squeezed," which effectively means no free refills on the $2.95 lemonade. Iced tea and soft drinks, with free refills, are $2.25.

Appetizers and salads seemed very overpriced to me. Salads come in one size and range from $6 to $12, and most of the appetizers push or exceed $10. Entrees do not include salad. My wife ordered a Caesar, which we split despite it not being very big. It was adequate at best, and is in no way worth near $7.00. If you are not a fan of anchovy, beware: they use it in the dressing.

Entrees fared considerably better. I ordered the grilled blue marlin in lemon butter with sides of Swiss chard (which was very good) and rice (white, unfortunately; a wild rice would have suited the dish much better). The kitchen recommended that the marlin be cooked medium well, but I think medium would have been a better choice. Still, it was quite good. My wife ordered seared (rare, which is in bold on the menu) ahi tuna, which came with cucumber salad, a small cucumber roll, and the usual sushi accompaniments: soy, wasabi, and ginger. It was a very light meal, and she enjoyed it very much, but I wouldn't have come close to being full or satisfied from the portions.

There were several items on the dessert tray that caught our interest, but we limited ourselves to one, the white chocolate cheesecake with Oreo crust, which my wife thought was decadent. I realized once I started eating it that I would have preferred something a bit more moist to balance out the entree, but that was no fault of the cheesecake. After the coupon, tax, and a 20% tip, dinner came to $51. It would have been under $40 if we had skipped the salad and dessert.

I suppose my main gripe with the place is the pricing as it relates to the atmosphere. For my money, that's "special occasion" pricing, but the restaurant does not have a "special occasion" feel. Although...good, fresh seafood in this part of the country is something of a "special occasion," so perhaps I shouldn't be too hard on the place.
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/03 09:32:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dlawson

My wife and I dined there last night.

It took a few minutes to get seated despite no one else in front of us, but service was fine once we were at our table. Menus are updated daily, depending on what fresh catches are available.

Appetizers and salads seemed very overpriced to me. Salads come in one size and range from $6 to $12, and most of the appetizers push or exceed $10. Entrees do not include salad. My wife ordered a Caesar, which we split despite it not being very big. It was adequate at best, and is in no way worth near $7.00. If you are not a fan of anchovy, beware: they use it in the dressing.

I suppose my main gripe with the place is the pricing as it relates to the atmosphere. For my money, that's "special occasion" pricing, but the restaurant does not have a "special occasion" feel. Although...good, fresh seafood in this part of the country is something of a "special occasion," so perhaps I shouldn't be too hard on the place.

Three friends and I had dinner at McCormick and Schmick's on February 22. When I called to make reservations, I was asked if we were celebrating a special occasion and I told them we were celebrating my birthday. Then I was asked how I spell my first name.

I parked in the garage under the Westin and soon found that I could not walk through the Westin lobby directly to the restaurant as you could when the sports bar was in that space. Part of the hallway you used to walk through is now taken up by the restaurant itself.

We were seated very quickly but, unfortunately, the young woman who took us to our table was sullen (no smile), unfriendly, and unresponsive. When we got to the table, I asked her where the restrooms were and her reply was, "Well, if you'll just wait a minute, I'll show you" in a rude tone of voice. We were all startled by her manner and I told her to forget it ("Oh, that's alright. I wouldn't want to trouble you."). I found them myself later. As she walked by with other diners, we noticed that she behaved that way toward everyone. I wonder if she's still working there.

I loved the fact that our booth, which was along the wall, was recessed into an alcove and had drapes on either side. If we had wanted to, we could have unhooked the drapery tie-backs and dined in total privacy. Since we weren't discussing state secrets (other than my age), we left them open.

We quickly noticed that "Happy Birthday, Sandy!" was printed across the top of all four menus...quite a nice souvenier.

Our waiter was the total opposite of the "hostess"...pleasant, responsive and always on top of things.

We decided to split two appetizers: Crab, Shrimp, and Artichoke Dip with Pita ($11.85) and Coconut Shrimp with Horseradish Marmalade and Tropical Fruit Salsa ($8.80). The waiter asked if we planned to order salads with our dinner. We all said yes and he tactfully warned us that we might end up with too much food since my dessert would be on the house. We ignored his advice and he was right.

Both appetizers were delicious, and the dip and pita appetizer was large, even split 4 ways. Oddly, one unsliced chunk of bread was placed on our table without a sharp knife. We guessed that were supposed to tear it apart with our hands to share it. When we requested more bread, we received another chunk of the same. Wierd.

We all ordered the Apple and Gorgonzola Salad with Almonds and Raspberry Vinegarette ($5.80). The salad was larger than expected but so good I ate all of it. Probably not a good decision since I still had my entree and dessert coming. I ordered the Sea Scallops Massachusettes, Grilled with Cashew Curry Sauce ($23.85). What I got were 4 huge scallops with a mound of crisp thinly sliced vegetables. Clearly, the price was high for the number of scallops I got, but they were the biggest scallops I have ever seen (yet very fresh, moist, and tender) and I was already pretty full, so I was satisfied.

My friends ordered the Atlantic Salmon, Maine with Lemon Dill Butter and Fresh Chives; the Shrimp Ala Diavolo with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Basil, Crushed Red Chiles, and Garlic; and the Tilapia Guayaquil, Ecuador which was parmesan crusted with lemon-butter sauce and capers. All three entrees were in the $20.00 range and moderate in size. Everyone remaked on the wonderful freshness and flavor of their dinners.

It seemed to me that M&S fills you up with the appetizer and/or salad and then downscales the size of the pricier entree. This is just my impression.

The mark-up on wine was breathtaking but hardly surprising.. We shared a bottle of Louis Jadot Beaujolais Villages, priced at $28 per bottle. I buy that same wine for $11 at our local party store. The wine list is extensive.

The dessert tray was enticing and I chose a sort of cake and ice cream parfait dessert served in a large goblet. The cake part was rich, most, dark choclate and it was topped with vanilla ice cream with a dark fudge topping and whipped cream. The other dinners ordered the same. My total share of the bill was $45.00. Hardly roadfood but I was impressed with the freshness and selection of the seafood.

I agree that the place was noisy. It was packed that evening, a Thursday. The bar was full. One of my friends said that she and her husband had twice stopped in on a week night, without reservations, hoping to be seated, but left because the place was full and the wait was too long.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/03 10:36:36 (permalink)
I work about 2 blocks from McCormick and Schmicks, and I love me a good clam chowder of seafood bisque, so I have stopped by regularly to see what the soup du jour is at lunchtime. It's nice that they post the menu of the day on the window facing into the Westin offloading area on Vine, but unfortunately, I am finding that the menu is only current about half the time, so I end up having to go in and retrieve a menu from the bar. No biggie, but irritating.

I have found the bisques to be good to very good and an excellent value. A full bowl of lobster bisque ran me around 4.50, and includes oyster crackers and a huge wedge of sourdough bread. I've learned to ask for the bread as I order, as they do not always seem to include it. It's good by itself with or without butter, and wonderful dipped in the bisque.

I need to try the clam chowder again - the one time I got it, it wasn't too good.

I do intend to get a real sit down lunch there sometime, as the lunch priices are a lot lower than the dinner prices, when I get a chance.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/03 11:28:11 (permalink)
TJ, soup prices at dinner are the same: $4.50 for a bowl, and $3.70 (I think) for a cup. I definitely would have gone for some lobster bisque, but the only two options last night were the New England Clam Chowder and Broccoli, neither of which appealed to me. Does anyone do a Manhattan Clam Chowder around here?

Sandy, our bread also came in a chunk, although it was partially sliced (just not all the way through). Perhaps they've received some complaints about it? Personally, I love when it's served as a chunk, and I have been known to go through more than one entire chunk at Karlo's Bistro Italia.

I plan on going back to try the tortilla-encrusted Mahi Mahi with gazpacho, which sounds delicious. I went for the blue marlin only because I had never tried it before, despite living in Fort Lauderdale for almost 18 years. Go figure.
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/03 12:13:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dlawson

Sandy, our bread also came in a chunk, although it was partially sliced (just not all the way through). Perhaps they've received some complaints about it? Personally, I love when it's served as a chunk, and I have been known to go through more than one entire chunk at Karlo's Bistro Italia.

dlawson -

My only problem with the bread was that the one chunk was for all 4 of us. it wasn't sliced at all. When we tore it into 4 pieces, they were really small. A bigger chunk with a knife might have worked better.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/03 14:00:27 (permalink)
dlawson - they always have ne style clam chowder. always. I have never seen it NOT on the menu, and I have read the daily menus on at least 20 different days now. I have seen them serve manhattan style chowder exactly once as the second soup

Sandy - The bread chunk I recvd was a quarter of a good 12 inch diameter loaf, which was plenty for me but would be pushing it for 2 diners and would be not nearly enough for 3 or more. I would hope they served at least a half loaf to your table, Sandy?

Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/03 17:03:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

dlawson - they always have ne style clam chowder. always. I have never seen it NOT on the menu, and I have read the daily menus on at least 20 different days now. I have seen them serve manhattan style chowder exactly once as the second soup

Sandy - The bread chunk I recvd was a quarter of a good 12 inch diameter loaf, which was plenty for me but would be pushing it for 2 diners and would be not nearly enough for 3 or more. I would hope they served at least a half loaf to your table, Sandy?

That would have been nice, TJ, but, alas, it was about the size that you got. I was sure that it was for one and that the waiter had just forgotten to bring three more, but when my friend pointed out that this was all we had gotten, he only brought one more.

It was o.k. for us to tear it apart and share it that way since we are old friends. But, in the process, you've got your hand on someone else's portion. I can't imagine doing that with your boss or some stranger you're meeting for business.

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/03 17:34:00 (permalink)
A small local/family-owned chicken joint named Booj's (which I hadn't even known of before, as their two locations are both on the wes side of town, well away from me) was reviewed in the local paper recently, featuring skinless fried chicken, and I was going to be in the area, so I stopped in for a 3 piece dinner with green beans and mac-n-cheese.

The food? In a word - bad.

The chicken was OK but the pieces were undersized and had very little meat on them, The macaroni was bad - shells instead of macaroni, overcooked to the point just before turning to glue, and the cheese sauce was near tasteless. The green beans were straight from the can, unseasoned and hard.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/05 07:59:32 (permalink)
I now work relatively close to both Booj's locations, although I could have sworn that the Glenway one was closed, since it never seems to be open at lunch. (After checking the Web site, I discovered that they only have lunch hours on Wednesdays and Fridays, and weekends.) My parents also live out that way, and I had stopped in years ago to check it out. TJ, you got farther than I did...nothing about the place was appealing to me, and I walked out without ordering anything. Ron's Roost up the street (on Race, which becomes Glenway) does a much better chicken.
Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/05 10:38:33 (permalink)
So does the "Proud Rooster" on Glenway getting down toward Glencrossing.
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/11 09:46:16 (permalink)
I guess no one has eaten at either Rima's location in N. KY. One of my co-workers had lunch at the one in Covington. She said the Pinto Beans were were really good and the Pork Tenderloin sandwich was very good as well. My office is about a block and a half away so I guess I have no excuse (except my usual habit of working through lunch) for not giving it a try. I'll try to work it in in the next few weeks and report back. I have the carryout menu and the fare is standard home-cooked and Southern food. They serve meatloaf with red sauce which I prefer to brown gravy, so that may be what I order.

Has anyone eaten at the Southern Trails Restaurant on Erlanger Road in Erlanger? Another co-worker said that it is in the building that the short-lived Andriola's occupied a few years ago. Beautiful building but lousy location, behind the SuperBowl and not visible from the highway. Anyway, my friend said that it is owned by the former chef of the Colonial Cottage. He said the food was pretty good but he thought it was too expensive. We didn't have much time to talk. I'll try to catch up with him this week to find out what he and his family ordered. Anybody know anything about Southern Trails?
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 422
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/11 13:56:28 (permalink)
For you adventurous eaters like myself, Sabor Peruvana has moved from it's tiny place on Rt. 4 in Springdale near Northland Blvd., to it's new spacious home in the former Sol Azteca (and before that Pedro's) building at the corner of Rt. 4 and Mulhauser Rd. (between 1-275 interchange and Jungle Jims on North Rt. 4).

Since they have been around for over 3 years as a peruvian restaurant , I assume they have a following although I have not eaten there....YET.
OK, I'll play guniea pig again and let you all know what I found out with pics ASAP.

2003 restaurant review from Cinti. Enquirer here:
http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/dining/reviews/121203_saborperuana.html

jjjrfoodie
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/11 20:36:58 (permalink)
Some assorted notes

I was gassing up the family vehicle at the Newtown UDF tonight and while I am no fan of the roller-cooked hotdogs one can buy there, I noted a sign that said any 2 hot dogs, sausages, or tornados for 2 bucks. I have no idea what a tornado is, and the clerk was unable to explain it to me either. Googling yielded a lot of weather related pages, as one might expect, and then this: http://www.food-management.com/article/7678. Has anyone had one of these?

I also stopped by the Clough Pike Market and had the good fortune to meet Jean Paul of Jean Paul's Pleasures and Jean Paul's Paradiso. We talked a bit, and I picked up a Paradiso menu, which has a lot of items I am eager to try

I've been looking for good Chinese food along beechmont, and was directed by a coworker to the little place in the corner of the strip mall that used to be anchored by Sear's Hardware - in the same plaza Perkins is on. Turned out to be very average, with an eggroll that tasted old. Ah well.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/11 22:45:15 (permalink)
I also noticed the Sabor Peruano move. I used to work right by the original location and ate there on a few occasions. I recall the steak and fish being good, and the fried chicken not being good. Everything on the menu has a very "home cooked" feel to it, which may or may not be to your liking.

I hope the menus have been updated along with the location. Descriptions were sketchy at best, such as "fish in green sauce" or "chicken in yellow sauce." I would prefer to see entrees listed with their Peruvian names and a more detailed English description underneath, instead of the basic (and perhaps literal) translations on the original menus.

They did get me hooked in Inca Cola, however. I make sure to pick up a 2-liter bottle every time I go to Jungle Jim's now.
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/12 12:05:45 (permalink)
TJ

Tornados are good late night snacking

the chicken hot pepper cheese one is really good.

repartee
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 111
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/18 19:02:57 (permalink)
Rather unfortunate thing hapened. Enjoying
Cincinnati sites but struck down by kidney infection and enjoyed the truly awful food of the University Hospital. Good point - lost 20 pounds, bad point, couldn't keep anything down.

I am now at the Hyatt Regency and wonder if there is anything within a very small radius as I'm still recovering but would like something tasty.

Thanks in advance
Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 20 of 111
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1