AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 21 of 110
Author
foodjoe1968
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/18 19:47:18 (permalink)
Has anyone tried Germantown Pizza in Covington? It is a small family style "German" pizza joint that has been there since the mid 70's. The pizza is awesome---try it with bacon and saurkraut on it--seriously----sounds weird--tastes great. They have a great warm german potato salad too.

Topic
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4558
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/18 23:09:25 (permalink)
How far can you go, Repartee?

There aren't a lot of good places downtown and most of them are not too near you

About a block and a half straight east, right on the SE corner of 5h and Vine, is the brand new McCormick and Schmicks, which *IS* a chain but prides itself on extremely fresh seafood. I have only tried the soups thus far and found them all at least good.

About a block east is Hathaways, which is reviewed on this site, but I don't like too well. If you have never had goetta for breakfast, this is as good a place as any to try it, though.
repartee
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 111
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/19 03:10:33 (permalink)
Hi TJ,

Well, I can't go far but I wonder if it's worth it anyway at this juncture. Had a turkey burger at the hotel's sports bar. It was fine but couldn't finish it. This is doing wonders for the diet but does anyone know how to get rid of the Ohio version of Delhi Belly?

Vis a vis old Chinese food, at the one adjacent to the Hyatt I experienced the same old taste with the rice, but the 'seafood' soup with surimi and tofu was fine.
CheesteakHead
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/22 00:14:31 (permalink)
Rimas Diner in Crescent Springs was a disappointment...the portions are too small and the food was average at best...I didn't see this place as a Kentucky roadfood opportunity there...THEY DO NOT ANY BREAKFAST FOODS ON MENU...you cant be a diner without breakfast foods....

service hit or miss...been there twice....

Alco251
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/22 13:35:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by foodjoe1968

Has anyone tried Germantown Pizza in Covington? It is a small family style "German" pizza joint that has been there since the mid 70's.

This must have been a small chain as I remember a Germantown Pizza in St. Bernard just as you describe.
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/22 18:53:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CheesteakHead

Rimas Diner in Crescent Springs was a disappointment...the portions are too small and the food was average at best...I didn't see this place as a Kentucky roadfood opportunity there...THEY DO NOT ANY BREAKFAST FOODS ON MENU...you cant be a diner without breakfast foods....

service hit or miss...been there twice....

Thanks for the response. I have yet to visit the one in Covington but still plan to. Good point about calling it a diner without classic breakfast offerings.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/23 09:15:09 (permalink)
Today's dining news in the Enquirer indicates yet another upscale seafood chain is opening a location downtown, this one over by the Aronoff - Oceanaire

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20070323/ENT01/703230310/

I've heard good things about this chain elsewhere, but does anyone local have any experience with this eatery?

foodlover265
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/27 03:29:33 (permalink)
I live in southwest Ohio and travel quite a bit in my job. I love barbecue and anything else that can put calories on a person. I found a new restaurant called BIG DADDY'S AND LITTLE MAMA'S FIXIN'S IN Aurora IN to be a very good place for ribs,pulled pork,chicken and catfish. I think the homemade sauce rivals what can be found in Memphis. The fixins(espicially the cornbread)is like mom used to make. Make sure and start with a small order of ribs unless you're ready to take a big doggie bag home with you! It's family owned and the owners will welcome you with open arms.Ocasionally they will have free entertainment on certain weekend dates. A good kids menu is also on the agenda. GENEROUS PORTIONS!!!!!!
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/27 14:50:59 (permalink)
A couple of Cincy notes, from my personal experiences~

Went to the new SouthView Restaurant at Newport on the Levee. They apparently change their menu everyday, so it was nothing like on the website. I had really wanted a steak, but their was no beef on the menu at all the night I went. I had chicken for lunch, so didn't want to order the fried chicken with sweet potato waffle, which sounded different. I ended up ordering the crab cake appetizer, and sides of mac & cheese and greens. The only stand out was the mac & cheese. Very good stuff. The greens were bitter, and they had no vinegar. The crab cake was nothing special(and small). My friend had tilapia wrapped in greens. Nothing special.

The biggest disappointment was bad service. At the end of the meal, we asked for coffee, and was told they didn't have coffee. When we questioned why, he said the restaurant was new. We still asked how anyone could open a restaurant without coffee, when he said he go in back and check, and came back with coffee. What was up with that???

Next~ last week there was an article in the Enquirer about how Brinkley's (in the Quality Inn in Norwood) would be adding a make your own pizza bar to their already large salad bar. We had been there before and the quality of the salad bar was excellent, with things like pate' and hummus, marinated asparagus, shrimp cocktail, and fresh made caesar salads with additions like fresh shaved parmesean cheese and strawberries.

My friend and I decided after taking her niece shopping at Kenwood Towne Center, this would be a fun place to eat. Their website states they are open until 10pm, but the sign on the door (when we arrived at 8:15pm) said they closed at 9pm. When we walked in, the buffet was broken down, but we still walked around the restaurant to see what was up. There were servers and cooks literally laying around in the booths. Everyone just ignored the three of us until I asked if they were open. Obviously not.

I e-mailed them the day after and haven't received a response yet. HOWEVER, my friend called me a little bit ago to say the paper today says that Brinkley's has closed without paying their employees, creditors, etc. I can't say I'm surprised after what I saw last week.

I hope I can report some better restaurant news soon!!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/27 15:51:05 (permalink)
Go over and try Jean Paul's Paradiso, Soozy....on Clough Pike, Mt Washington area.....I have found it a pleasant suprise and will report more when I have a few more experiences under my belt (literally)
dannybotz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 357
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/27 16:08:23 (permalink)
I was in Cincy for new years and my wife and I had 2 standout meals. We ate at the boathouse Montgomery inn it was excellent!! The ribs were great and the bluecheese dressing on the salad was the best ive ever had! Also ate at The Precinct. Another dynamite meal,! Had the Jeff ruby's gem center cut bone in filet mignon. I seriuosly cut it with a fork. Outstanding !! ive been to most of New york's premier steakhouses and this one rated among the best.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/27 16:13:31 (permalink)
dannybotz: when was this? The boathouse has been on a downhill spiral for a while now
dannybotz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 357
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/27 16:20:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

dannybotz: when was this? The boathouse has been on a downhill spiral for a while now
it was this past new years .We were in town to see the steelers play the bengals. While we had heard that it was not as good as it used to be , our experience was excellent. Although we waited for about an hour for a table, we were seated upstairs in the Bob Hope room. It was really cool we had our own booth over in the corner with a view of the river and were treated really well. The waitress suggested the blue cheese dressing saing that they made it fresh every day. It was awesome! Not like anything weve ever tasted. creamy with just a little bite. I would certainly go back next time we are there!
BillC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 119
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/27 20:40:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Alco251

quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Thruthegarden

Has anyone eaten at the Southern Trails Restaurant on Erlanger Road in Erlanger? Another co-worker said that it is in the building that the short-lived Andriola's occupied a few years ago.

I am going there tomorrow night and will file a report.

Did you go?
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1184
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/28 08:52:27 (permalink)
quote:

Go over and try Jean Paul's Paradiso, Soozy....on Clough Pike, Mt Washington area.....I have found it a pleasant suprise and will report more when I have a few more experiences under my belt (literally)

TJ, I've passed that place dozens of times. You've pushed me over the edge. Perhaps it's time to stop in, maybe after my class at the Athenaeum Saturday morning.

Jack
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1184
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/28 08:53:27 (permalink)
quote:

Like since it opened.

Sorry TJ. Old habits (like taking cheap shots at the Montgomery Inn) die hard.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/28 09:03:39 (permalink)
Well, yeah, but it is good to see that they can occasionally put on a nice meal
TCapp
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/28 12:16:41 (permalink)
Are there any good Tapas restaurants in the Cincy area? Or an excellent reasonably priced restaurant to celebrate a 50th b-day that doesn't cater to the under-12 crowd? I am need of ideas for this Friday night. Thanks in advance!!!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/28 12:36:54 (permalink)
Unfortunately, I haven't found "reasonably priced" and "great" in the same restaurant yet in Cincinnati, at least among restaurants that still exist.

I haven't done the tapas thing yet either...but do remember reading this article some time back: http://www.citybeat.com/2005-06-08/diner.shtml
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/28 14:57:28 (permalink)
quote:

TJ~

I have heard great things about this place. I am not in the area often, but recently went to a nephew's birthday party, and wanted to take my daughter and family out to dinner afterwards. We went down Mt. Carmel Tabasco, and thought the restaurant was on the corner of Clough and MCT. I couldn't find it. Can you give me a better idea of where it is? (yes I can Google and MapQuest, but what landmarks/strip mall thingies should I look for?)
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/28 15:14:46 (permalink)
soozy:

Very near the corner of clough and corbly

A stone's throw from the Anderson Township Pub

in a building connected to a convenience store

There is almost no sit down space.....would comfortably sit *maybe* 3 people......is really a takeout place.....takeout then drive to a nearby Park
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/28 15:16:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TCapp

Are there any good Tapas restaurants in the Cincy area? Or an excellent reasonably priced restaurant to celebrate a 50th b-day that doesn't cater to the under-12 crowd? I am need of ideas for this Friday night. Thanks in advance!!!

I don't know why, but Cincinnati has had some tapas restaurants that did not survive. Actually, I wonder why a lot of restaurants don't survive in Cincy. I guess it's all a matter of taste. Or lack of. I think the majority of Cincinnatians are just used to what they know (not adventurous). {{No slam on Cincinnatians on RoadFood ~ it is only a generalization from a native Cincinnatian}}.

However, I tried Argentine Bean in Crestview Hills Towne Center (in KY), and it is a passable tapas restaurant. However the space is small, if you have a large party.

http://www.argentinebean.net/index.php
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/28 15:20:21 (permalink)
quote:

Very near the corner of clough and corbly

A stone's throw from the Anderson Township Pub

in a building connected to a convenience store

There is almost no sit down space.....would comfortbaly sit maybe 3 people......is really a takeout place.....takeout then drive to a nearby Park

Thanks TJ. Obviously, I wasn't in the right location. Like I said, I have heard great things {as well as great things about Anderson Township Pub}, and will try it when I am in the area.
soozycue520
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/28 15:46:24 (permalink)
All Right Cincy People~

I do have something good to say about a small place called Cincy Steak and Lemonade (2607 Vine St. Short Vine). The only thing I've had here is the Chicago Italian Beef Sandwich. It may not be totally original, but the best Italian Beef sammich I've had in Cincy.

My first try I got the sausage and beef sammich. I didn't like the sausage. But my second try, I just ordered the beef, and it was comparable to the ones I had in Chicago. They ask you if you want it dipped. Of course I do. The buns are not authentic, but the giardiniera was pretty good. It was the closest thing I have come to, to Chicago Italian Beef sammiches in Cincinnati.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 247
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/28 16:09:21 (permalink)
I have not yet been to Argentine Bean, but have heard good things about it, provided you don't expect to make a full meal out of it (which apparently would be prohibitively expensive). The place has been dead every time I've walked by it (at dinner time, no less), and I'm surprised they're still hanging on.

Some updates from dineoutoften.com:

- 60 Noble Roman's pizza restaurants and Tuscano's submarine shop outlets are coming to Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana in the next 6 years.

- A chain of nine Asian restaurants called Stir Crazy will open within the next 3 to 5 years. It will combine traditional dining with a choose-your-own ingredients concept.

- Serenity Ultra Lounge opened at 2701 Vine Street, which is in the old Zino's firehouse on Short Vine in Corryville. The upscale bar will specialize in rich desserts served in an indulging atmosphere, with low-slug chairs, plasma TV's, a fountain and blown-glass chandeliers. It seats 145 in 4 rooms. They will be open from 6 P.M. to 2 A.M. (Daily? It doesn't specify.)

- Wild Bowls (formerly Nothing But Noodles) in Hyde Park has closed. (Good riddance to both!)
foodjoe1968
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/29 17:44:05 (permalink)
Has anyone been to the SCHOOLHOUSE just outside Milford? The guy I work with raves about it. Good homecooked type meals he says. It actually was an old schoolhouse at one time. They even write the menu on the chalkboard!!! I plan on visiting it soon with my wife.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/29 20:33:08 (permalink)
I've been to the schoolhouse several times....used to work real near there.

Very average food served family style in an interesting old building

BuddyRoadhouse and his dad went there while here last summer promoting his sauces, and as best as I recall found it to be similarly unimpressive

jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 422
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/29 21:02:36 (permalink)
Like TJ, I have been there several times, with the last being an event I hosted upstairs back in Sept. 06 in the theater dining room for about 40 folks.

Food is OK and very focused on the down-home comfort fare aspect of dining. (They do have a liquor license as well.) I have had the fried chicken, pot roast, liver and onions and roast beef. All meals have been good, but it is not the polished flashy restaurant many folks have been accustomed to since the Applefriday O'Charley chains have become so mainstay, which may be its charm.

Family style is indeed the mainsty here, with the veggies being a mystery as far as type every evening and they even vary at times from table to table and what is brought out. Mashed potatoes w/gravy is good as well is the bread. Sides are a crap shoot with the type and quality varying wildly. Desserts are killer, but they seem to run out of things if you come later in the evening.

Neat place to go if you have never been (and care for a nice drive thru Indian Hill and nearby communities) as it won't break the bank. Be careful of summer as there is no AC in the main dining room and it can be a bit stuffy when it is hot. If you are a history buff, the Camp Dennison aspect is quite a story. I'll go back if the craving is for comfort food by friends (I usually cook my own CF as it is quite easy), but I head to the Indian and ethnic places for my cravings when out.

Good luck.

jjjrfoodie
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/29 21:11:36 (permalink)
I was on my own for dinner tonight, and had recently noted a random blurb in Citybeat about Lemon Grass in Hyde Park having the best crab rangoons in town. Now, I love me a good crab rangoon, even when the item has not even been shown a picture of a crab, much less contain any crabmeat, so I decided this was as good a time as any to check it out.

First impression was when I read the menu was LORDIE......5.95 for crab rangoon? I was wanting an appetizer, not an entree :-) Turns out everything is about 25-50% higher than you'd expect at a typical asian restaurant. Fried rice and vegetarian dishes ran around 8 dollars, and most entrees were 9 dollars or more. I dug deep and asked for 1 order of the rangoons (6 pieces) and 1 order of the chicken (veggie also available) spring rolls (2 pieces - 3.25).

While waiting, I stopped over at the 24-hour Busken Bakery across the street, looking over the schneckens from Virginia Bakery, and something called a Maysville Cake - looks a lot like your basic square chocolate cake with chocolate icing. Anyone heard of this?

Back at Lemon Grass, my order had come out from the kitchen just as I arrived. This type of food (for me) is at it's best right out of the fryer, so I left quickly and started sampling on the hood of my parked car.

The rangoons were very good, perhaps not the best I have ever had, but still. The shells were the thinnest I had ever seen, very crisp, with a very smooth surface, one might almost call them wispy. Biting into them produced a very satisfying crunch, and the flakes/crumbs that dropped away strongly resembled broken bits of glass from a very small lightbulb. One big suprise - I could actually taste the crab. Or Krab. My palate isn't sophisticated enough to tell the difference :-)

The spring rolls were made with the same smooth, ultrathin wrappers, and were solidly decent but also quite small.

Overall - pretty good, albeit not as good as advertised, but expensive, particularly for the sheer mass (or lack thereof) of food you get for the price paid.

Anyone else got an opinion on the place?
foodjoe1968
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/03/30 13:46:49 (permalink)
Thanks TJ and jjjrfoodie for the lowdown on the Shoolhouse!!!

TJ---Me and my wife went thru a big Thai phase a few years ago and visited the Lemongrass several times. We were happy but found The Teak in Mount Adams to have superior Thai Food----and the Crab Rangoons are awesome there too. I think the prices are similiar at both places. The portions at the TEAK win out though.
We get takeout from there at least every few month's and we always get the same thing----Pad Thai and Crab Rangoons-----And we definitely eat them on the trip back to the house (Hot right out of the fryer)--Also-- The Pad Thai portion is so huge, we both split it.
In fact----a trip over there is just about due!!!!!
Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 21 of 110
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1