The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > >> | Showing page 24 of 108, messages 691 to 720 of 3220
TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4482
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sat, 05/5/07 11:48 AM (permalink)
DLLawson: The local dining archive shows two in Florence: Apna India and Taj India

http://dunes.cincinnati.com/dining/results.aspx?scID=121&nID=161&z=&k=&nT=Florence%2c+KY&scT=Indian%2fPakistani

Here's a small review of Apna from a fledgling website I didn't know existed til this search: http://www.cincyfood.com/Apna.html

However, I think the Taj is your place. On page 12 of this thread (http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6637&whichpage=12) SandyThruTheGarden posted a fairly glowing review of the Taj India, which she says iis right next to the Florence Cinemas

dlawson

• Total Posts: 237
    RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sat, 05/5/07 1:35 PM (permalink)
    TJ, thanks for the quick response. I called the number for Taj that Sandy listed just to make sure they're still around, and they are indeed. They do sound like the best option, since I wasn't that impressed with the Apna in Clifton. Thanks again!

Sandy Thruthegarden

• Total Posts: 624
      RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sun, 05/6/07 7:25 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by dlawson

TJ, thanks for the quick response. I called the number for Taj that Sandy listed just to make sure they're still around, and they are indeed. They do sound like the best option, since I wasn't that impressed with the Apna in Clifton. Thanks again!

dlawson-

We've eaten at both Taj and Apna, and have also gotten carry-out from Taj.

We were disappointed with Apna. We ordered some Indian restaurant standards: mixed appetizer platter (pakora and samosa), chicken tikka masala, tandoori chicken, and stuffed garlic naan. The masala sauce was the best thing. The chicken was sort of rubbery and made me wonder if it wasn't under-cooked. The tandoori chicken was very bland and had an odd taste. The appetizers were nothing special. The waiter brought us the wrong bread. It was stuffed, but it didn't taste like garlic. I think there were raisins in it but I don't see a bread like that on their menu. We won't be returning.

Taj was the better of the two. Let me say that I am just grateful that there is a decent Indian restaurant in N. KY. Taj isn't as good as Mayura was back in the '80s. We've eaten in quite a few Indian restaurants in the U.S. and in Europe, and Mayura was one of the best. That said, all the food we've had from Taj has been flavorful and appropriately cooked. It is where we will continue to go to get our Indian fix.

Sandy

dlawson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sun, 05/6/07 6:46 PM (permalink)
        Sandy, good to know. Dinner plans were unfortunately cancelled last night, and it doesn't look like we'll be able to reschedule for a few months!

We will be going to Taj once our schedules permit, however. We aren't in the Florence area very often, and with at least six Indian restaurants within a few miles of us up the hill in Clifton, we likely won't make a special trip south on our own. Mayura is far and away our favorite of the bunch, despite numerous people saying that the quality has dropped a bit. We weren't living here in the 80's, so it sounds like we missed out!

TJ Jackson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 05/7/07 12:10 PM (permalink)
          The Jackson 4 stopped in for a bite at a little "mexican" joint called Tostados (http://tostadosgrill.com/). It's in a building that once housed Kreimers Bier Haus, within an easy stone's throw of the Precinct.

I say "mexican" because the name strongly suggests the cuisne, but what we found on the menu was a mishmash of tex/mex, italian, american, and german items. A very weird menu, for sure. One that did not inspire a lot of confidence that what we'd get would be of good quality.

Nothing we had was particularly good or bad, all text/mex, not worth mentioning, really, but asides from mediocrity this is the kind of neighborhood place a roadfooder wants to like, and it was a bit subpar, and despite that, the prices were rather high. 5.99 for a dessert, for example. 12 bucks for a single chimichanga. That sort of thing.

One pleasant thing happened: my oldest (5 and a half year old Elisabeth) is starting to ask for some of our food, pushing aside her kiddie meal items (your typical grilled cheese, chicken fingers, etc) in favor of the more sophisticated items. She politely persisted with this request, and had some from my plate and from her mother's, and announced she liked them both. I'm looking forward to the day when I can pick out a restaurant for the 4 of us without worrying about them offering "kid food"

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
            • Roadfood Insider
            RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 05/8/07 2:02 PM (permalink)
            As I was passing headed across fifth street yesterday I noticed a new sign for a Brazilian steak house on fountain square across from M&S's anyone know of when they might be opening?

TJ Jackson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 05/8/07 2:30 PM (permalink)
              Are you thinking of the one in the corner of the Carew Tower facing Fountain Square?

If so - according to the signage, CK, they plan to open "in the spring of 2007"

According to their website(http://www.boinabraza.com/) it'll be May 2007

So any time now :-)

(see: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6637&whichpage=16, entry for 8/9/2006)

soozycue520

• Total Posts: 1026
                RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 05/8/07 2:31 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by CajunKing

As I was passing headed across fifth street yesterday I noticed a new sign for a Brazilian steak house on fountain square across from M&S's anyone know of when they might be opening?

They have said "in May", but not exactly when.

http://www.boinabraza.com

It is mentioned in the "Foodie Report" blog on Cincinnati.com. Look under Fri. Apr. 27th http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/foodie/

There is also mention of Roadfood by Polly Campbell. It is a good review of the Sterns, but bad review of some restaurants tried because of RoadFood {it is in the April archives}.

TJ Jackson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 05/8/07 2:59 PM (permalink)
                  Unfortunately, Polly doesn't read the these forums, where reader after reader panned Mrs Rowes to the point where Mr Stern finally took the listing off the website.....

soozycue520

• Total Posts: 1026
                    RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 05/9/07 12:04 AM (permalink)
                    TJ~

I really don't agree with most everything "Polly Campbell" has to say. Reviews are weak, and often so off-base, that most restaurants she reviews as "great" are closed within 6 months. The ones she gives a "bad" review are often ones I like. I take "her" opinion with a grain of salt.

However, I do think the "Foodie Blog" is worth reading. There are some other opinions, and it is updated daily.

I agree, that as a "critic", she should check out RoadFood and Chowhound more often {at least, for the Cincy points of view}.

The reviews {at Cincinnati.com} of Vinyl are still great, but it is more a late night party place, with expensive, lackluster food. Sometimes, I think the reviews are based on "who knows who", and not necessarily the quality of the food. Basically, a "who schmoozes who".

Years ago, I worked at Barleycorn's on Sixth St., above the Maisonette & LaNormandie. My regular customers were the staff from these restaurants, and I listened to all of their stories. I have waited on Jean Robert DeCavel and his wife. They were great customers. "Polly Campbell" has, of course, given him good reviews, but he is not a "schmoozer", by any sense of the word. His work {personality, character, etc.} can stand on its own.

tpd

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 05/9/07 4:10 AM (permalink)
                      Link to the foodie blog?

Thx-

TJ Jackson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 05/9/07 9:15 AM (permalink)
                        Soozy put a link in her post re: Boi Na Brazil....scroll back a few posts :-)

My two daughters were at the same daycare deCavel's daughter was at for a while, and I ran into him a couple of times when picking up my kids. Nice, unassuming fellow....

dlawson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 05/9/07 11:13 AM (permalink)
                          Speaking of Jean-Robert, dineoutoften.com reports that "Jean-Robert de Cavel is planning to open his fifth restaurant in Over-the-Rhine at 12th and Vine streets. It should be open by the end of this year. It will occupy an older, narrow building next to the Duncanson Lofts condominium project, and might feature a rooftop garden."

They also mention that "Chanaka Delanerolle, who owns Teak, Mount Adams Fish House and the Celestial Steakhouse in Mount Adams, has bought Watson Bros., the former microbrewery in Blue Ash. He plans to open it this summer as an Asian restaurant called Apsara."

I noticed that the former Phoenicia location in Montgomery will soon be home to another Mexican restaurant, Los Portales. Signage is up, and repainting has begun, but I am not sure when they will open.

Finally, the Roosters location in Springdale is now open. My boss is going to treat me to "a snack" for lunch today, and I think I'll suggest that we go there.

westsider12

• Total Posts: 131
                            RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 05/10/07 12:45 PM (permalink)
                            First time poster, long time reader. Thought I'd start throwing my two cents in. Made the trek from Fountain Square up to Tom's Pot Pies today. I went for the large chicken for 5.50 with no offer of sides, but they had a dessert pie and a small chicken alfredo pie for 2.50 as well.

The chicken was pretty good, but a little heavy on the pepper for my liking. But overall a great alternative to a fast food joint for sure.

I was actually out to venture up to Jalapenos on the corner of seventh and Elm but they are apparently shut down already. Does anyone know if this is permanent?

Great postings - really enjoy the honest critiques of the area's dining.
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by TJ Jackson

There was an article in this week's Downtowner (no online edition is available) that says there is a new business specializing in Pot Pies (really awesome pot pies, based on what I read) on the 900 block of Vine, which is the block just north of the Main branch of the Cincinnati Public Library.

I'll try to stop in when time permits and report back

[edit]

I was able to squeeze in the time to walk up there today :-)

I picked up a regular-sized chicken pot pie (offerred everyday for 5.95 alone, 8.00 as a combo with two sides) and a small sized chicken broccoli alfredo (a special, one additional type of filling asides from the chicken is offerred each day) for 2.25. The regular pie is more than enough by itself for lunch, but I wanted to try the other, and it's a heck of a long walk :-)

In a word - fantastic. Best pot pies I have ever eaten.

I recommend everyone who can get downtown give it a try

Tom's Chicken Pot Pies

oh - and here's a link to an old review from when they did catering only http://archive.cinweekly.com/content/2004/07/21/0721takeout_potpieguy.asp

[yet another edit]

The owner still answers the catering number listed in the old review (513-235-2400) and when I called to compliment him on the pies and ask a few questions, he told me his hours right now are limited to 11-2, with hopes to expand if there's enough business to justify it

TJ Jackson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 05/10/07 1:17 PM (permalink)
                              Welcome from the shadows where you lurked, westsider12 :-) Maybe we can get together for lunch downtown sometime.

Coincidentally, I went up there for pies again today myself, and the owner (Tom Wolfe) mentioned another roadfooder had come in and talked about the website - so that'd be you :-)

Today, I got three minis - the standard chicken, broccoli alfredo, and cherry dessert pie. All very, very good, particularly the broccoli alfredo. I don't generaly like cherry pie (but my alternative was his apple crisp, which includes nuts, and my stomach doesn't tolerate nuts well) but I liked this version.

He says he is still working on new pie recipes, but will only offer the new recipes as mini-pies until he sees more demand for the other types. He also said he had considered offering a large alfredo, but decided it was just too rich and heavy for that size.

--edit/update--

There was a woman sitting at one of the few tables there when I arrived, eating a pie....what else would one do there? :-) I certainly wish I had greeted her - I generally try not to disturb other diners - turns out it was Polly Campbell (for out-of-towners - Polly is the primary restaurant review critic for the local paper, the Cincinnati Enquirer), who I'd honestly love to meet someday. I emailed her today on another matter, and as an aside, recommended she try the pies at Tom's - and she replied back that she was there when I arrived! Turns out she also has been reading this thread on occasion :-)

So - Polly! welcome to Roadfood.com! :-)

westsider12

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 05/10/07 3:44 PM (permalink)
                                Following up on Jalapenos - looks like they were here and gone before anyone had a chance to miss them. Article is from the Cincinnati Business Courier.

"Citing a lack of business, the casual Mexican chain JalapeƱos has shuttered its downtown Cincinnati location, just three months after opening.

The eatery, which specialized in fresh ingredients and made-to-order dishes at a walk-up counter, closed May 9. It employed six, said owner Martin Lucero.

His other locations, in Sycamore Township on Montgomery Road and in Northgate Mall, are still open.

"We weren't doing anything so we closed it," Lucero said.

He said that an Asian restaurant operator has taken over the lease, but did not have details."

westsider12

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 05/10/07 3:47 PM (permalink)
                                  You pick the place and I'll meet you there.

W12
                                  quote:

Welcome from the shadows where you lurked, westsider12 :-) Maybe we can get together for lunch downtown sometime.

Coincidentally, I went up there for pies again today myself, and the owner (Tom Wolfe) mentioned another roadfooder had come in and talked about the website - so that'd be you :-)

Today, I got three minis - the standard chicken, broccoli alfredo, and cherry dessert pie. All very, very good, particularly the broccoli alfredo. I don't generaly like cherry pie (but my alternative was his apple crisp, which includes nuts, and my stomach doesn't tolerate nuts well) but I liked this version.

He says he is still working on new pie recipes, but will only offer the new recipes as mini-pies until he sees more demand for the other types. He also said he had considered offering a large alfredo, but decided it was just too rich and heavy for that size.

--edit/update--

There was a woman sitting at one of the few tables there when I arrived, eating a pie....what else would one do there? :-) I certainly wish I had greeted her - I generally try not to disturb other diners - turns out it was Polly Campbell (for out-of-towners - Polly is the primary restaurant review critic for the local paper, the Cincinnati Enquirer), who I'd honestly love to meet someday. I emailed her today on another matter, and as an aside, recommended she try the pies at Tom's - and she replied back that she was there when I arrived! Turns out she also has been reading this thread on occasion :-)

So - Polly! welcome to Roadfood.com! :-)

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
                                    RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 05/10/07 4:02 PM (permalink)
                                    When are you Cincinnati people going to finally realize that since Maisonette shut down there is no place to eat in that city?

TJ Jackson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 05/10/07 5:08 PM (permalink)
                                      *laff*

like there is anything to eat in Gahanna :-)

Welcome to the thread, you old coot :-) C'mon down to Cincinnati anytime, we have plenty of Waffle houses here, it will be my treat - heck, I will throw in a single cheese coney as well.

:-)

westsider12

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 05/11/07 7:58 AM (permalink)
                                        Saw on the walk in today that there will be a Mythos Greek restaurant going in the empty space just north of Brueggers by the Westin on Vine St. Not sure if this will be in addition to the one over by the Aronoff or if that one is moving.

TJ Jackson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 05/11/07 9:20 AM (permalink)
                                          Coincidentally, I noted that the Mythos over by the Aronoff now cuts their meat from spindles instead of making the gyros from precut steam trays (as they did when I first checked them out a year and a half ago)

dlawson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 05/11/07 9:38 AM (permalink)
                                            Pappadeaux is the last man standing outside of the cinema in Springdale. Bahama Breeze has closed.

I did end up going to Rooster's on Tuesday. They're clearly targeting bw-3 (er...Buffalo Wild Wings), and have a very similar menu (in terms of both content and price), which can be viewed online. It's very heavy on wings and sandwiches, although they only offer about half as many sauces as bw-3.

We were told to "sit anywhere we like" when we walked in, and the waitress promptly came to take our drinks order. Unlike bw-3, there is no confusion about whether you need to order from the counter or from the waitress. She was very attentive until the end of our meal, when she seemingly forgot that we needed to pay for the meal (which wasn't a huge concern, since we had some work-related things to discuss, anyway). Overall, service was pretty smooth, considering that it was only their second day open for business.

I got the breaded chicken fingers, which weren't bad. The coating was very crisp and crumbly, but the chicken itself was slightly overdone. I'm not sure I like the consistency of the sauce, which is a bit thick for dipping. (I chose to get it on the side, but you can also get your fingers, wings, etc. tossed in the sauce.)

The layout is very open but looks very cheap; walls, floors, and most tables are unstained pine, and there are small white signs with silly quotes in black lettering everywhere. I much prefer the overall look of bw-3, but both places are well-suited to watching games and making noise. My boss kept commenting that it would be a great place to come for a beer or two after work. I'll have to reserve judgment on that until next time, when I can actually sneak a peek at the beer list. All in all, not a bad place, but not worth a special trip since it doesn't offer much more than your local bw-3.

TJ Jackson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 05/11/07 10:26 AM (permalink)
                                              Yeah, Bahama Breeze was also closed in the wave of Smokey Bones closings....both in the Darden Restaraunt group

I wasn't aware the Italian place (Karlo's? something like that) had closed, but am not suprised. My job before my current job had me in the big office building right next to Pappadeaux (which was stll being built when I left that position) and my coworkers went to lunch there on a coupon deal, and STILL ended up payin after coupon over 10 dolalrs each for lunch. Never returned.

Is Rooster's in the old Bob Evan's spot? or where Bargo's/Bennigan's was? I don't get up that way much....

TJ Jackson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 05/11/07 2:30 PM (permalink)
                                                Walked up to Court Street to see if Poppa's was open yet in the former Patoshnik's spot, and they were...have been since Wednesday

Poppa's Kickin Chicken Fingers and Fries is all Chicken. Fingers, wings, wingettes (drummettes?), nuggets, and two chicken sandwiches - one regular, one barbeque. If you don't like chicken - deep fried chicken - don't bother :-) The limited menu also offers your choice of 3 sides (fries, salad, slaw), biscuits, and some kfc-style parfait bucket desserts.

The fingers themselves are fairly good, if a bit dry. They coat the chicken breast pieces with some sort of hot spice - hot to my limited tolerance, feeble to those of you who like really HOT spicey food - and then battered and deep fried. It looked like they had about 5-6 pounds of these ready to serve next to the deep fryer when I arrived.

The fries are skin-on, wedge cut, and battered. Oh yes, more fried batter :-) I thought they were pretty good, with creamy insides. The cook told me these came in battered, so they are some sort of commercial grade, but still, pretty good.

The biscuits were small and reaonably tasty, but really nothing special.

So - not bad, not great either. Patoshniks....I miss you even more now

jjjrfoodie

• Total Posts: 422
                                                  RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 05/11/07 6:40 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:

Yeah, Bahama Breeze was also closed in the wave of Smokey Bones closings....both in the Darden Restaraunt group

I wasn't aware the Italian place (Karlo's? something like that) had closed, but am not suprised.

Is Rooster's in the old Bob Evan's spot? or where Bargo's/Bennigan's was? I don't get up that way much....

TJ, I am over at Pappadeux's more than I care to admit meeting with clients as that is often their pick. Word is pappadeux's bough the karlo's bldg last year after karlo's bugged out and is trying to sort out what food establishment in their lineup fits the locale.

As for Rooster's, I believe it used to be a Pondersoa steakhouse. It is to the south of the BenniBargos place. I pass it at 4:45am every dadgone morning on the way into the office.

jjjrfoodie

Alco251

• Total Posts: 74
                                                    RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 05/11/07 7:00 PM (permalink)
                                                    Well, Southern Trails brief run in Erlanger is apparently over. I drove by tonight and the signs were down and the building dark. I doubt even Jean-Robert could make a go of this space, too bad.

dlawson

• Location: Cincinnati, OH
                                                      RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sat, 05/12/07 12:02 AM (permalink)
                                                      TJ, Roosters is in the old Bob Evans spot. Bargo's is still there. I wasn't aware that Smokey Bones went down as well...never did make it to any of their locations, but it doesn't sound like I missed much.

jjjr, the way I heard it, the Pappas group bought out Karlo's in order to put one of their own restaurants there. I'm not sure which version is true. I have always liked Karlo's, but lunch can get a bit pricey. They are a fixture in the Entertainment book, however, which means we can both get dinner for under $20 at least once a year.

TJ Jackson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sat, 05/12/07 2:48 PM (permalink)
                                                        4:45am? what sort of business are you in? farming?

jjjrfoodie

• Total Posts: 422
                                                          RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sat, 05/12/07 6:36 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:

4:45am? what sort of business are you in? farming?

Nope. Design, engineer and build specialty secured mobile civilian vehicles for the Secret Service, State Dept, DEA ,as well for many many foreign gov'ts and officials throughout the world. Ya gotta get up early to stay ahead of IED technology and the goofballs who set them these days.

jjjrfoodie

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
                                                            • Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                            RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sat, 05/12/07 7:07 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:

*laff*

like there is anything to eat in Gahanna :-)

Welcome to the thread, you old coot :-) C'mon down to Cincinnati anytime, we have plenty of Waffle houses here, it will be my treat - heck, I will throw in a single cheese coney as well.

:-)

There's lots to eat in Gahanna, incuding the four-way with onions I had the other day at Skyline. I'll tell you what, if you'll buy me a beer and a cheeseburger at the Cricket, I'll be there in a flash. No excuses, now. Otherwise, I'll just have to go up the road about a mile to Graeter's for a cone.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > >> | Showing page 24 of 108, messages 691 to 720 of 3220

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 5 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com